How to beat stress through cooking. . .

-tongue hanging out!-

j8i2ib.jpg


Thanks for the recipes.

They all sound yummy!

Blessings,



Julian
 
This is what happens when all the convenience foods are gone and you need to go to the grocery store. I made homemade spaghetti sauce last night, and I was amazed at how easy it was. I kind of made it up as I went along but I must have seen a recipe like it somewhere.

I browned about 3/4 pound sweet Italian sausage (but you could use ground beef or whatever you like) with a chopped half of a large onion and a couple of garlic cloves all minced up. Salt and pepper to taste.

I added a large can, 28 oz. I think, of tomato puree, a small can of tomato paste and about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water. The seasonings I added were dried oregano, dried basil, salt, pepper, and a couple pinches of dried red pepper flakes. I didn't measure amounts for the oregano and basil, but I would guess 1 to 2 teaspoons would be a close approximation. (I would go very easy on the red pepper flakes unless you like steam coming out your ears.) Just do it to taste.

I let it simmer for about 45 minutes. You can add a little more water if you like it thinner.

When I tasted it, I was very pleasantly surprised. Hey, I still know how to cook! I don't do it all that often any more.
 
This is what happens when all the convenience foods are gone and you need to go to the grocery store. I made homemade spaghetti sauce last night, and I was amazed at how easy it was. I kind of made it up as I went along but I must have seen a recipe like it somewhere.

I browned about 3/4 pound sweet Italian sausage (but you could use ground beef or whatever you like) with a chopped half of a large onion and a couple of garlic cloves all minced up. Salt and pepper to taste.

I added a large can, 28 oz. I think, of tomato puree, a small can of tomato paste and about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water. The seasonings I added were dried oregano, dried basil, salt, pepper, and a couple pinches of dried red pepper flakes. I didn't measure amounts for the oregano and basil, but I would guess 1 to 2 teaspoons would be a close approximation. (I would go very easy on the red pepper flakes unless you like steam coming out your ears.) Just do it to taste.

I let it simmer for about 45 minutes. You can add a little more water if you like it thinner.

When I tasted it, I was very pleasantly surprised. Hey, I still know how to cook! I don't do it all that often any more.
Thanks bg. .. I have a date tonight, and he is super picky about food. We were going to go out, but I think I may suggest eating in. I have some fresh pasta and everything to make your sauce in the pantry. . . . hmmmmmm.
 
bg, that sounds sorta like this. :>

ed

You are so darn cute. I had to go read your post of course, and I agree, goofy is vastly underrated.

I superfly'd (superflew?) my son's friend the other day in the living room because his sack boy kept slapping my sack boy in Little Big Planet. My son said he is still talking about how goofy I am. His mother would never do such a thing. :D

And since tequila makes me extra goofy. . .

Paloma
1 shot tequila
1 shot grapefruit schnapps
fresca
ice

Mix the tequila and grapefruit schnapps. Pour over ice in a pint glass. Fill up with fresca. Very refreshing.
 
bg: you know, it's possible you adapted a tyler bolognese recipe. that would seem a little more likely to me, seeing as you started with the sweet italian sausage.

hm...so bg likes to keep some italian sausage on hand, huh? :D

minx: darned tootin', goofy is underrated! :>

ed
 
i remember that post! :)

Actually, I think the original recipe was for a marinara sauce from Tyler Florence. I could be wrong though.

Tyler Florence. . . . sigh. I like to steal recipes from Guy Fiori's Drive-ins, Diners, and Dives as much as possible but he doesn't make my thighs sweat like Florence does.
 
bg: you know, it's possible you adapted a tyler bolognese recipe. that would seem a little more likely to me, seeing as you started with the sweet italian sausage.

hm...so bg likes to keep some italian sausage on hand, huh? :D
minx: darned tootin', goofy is underrated! :>

ed

[blush] My secret's out. ;)
 
Tyler Florence. . . . sigh. I like to steal recipes from Guy Fiori's Drive-ins, Diners, and Dives as much as possible but he doesn't make my thighs sweat like Florence does.

I love that show! It'd be fun to plan a road trip to visit a few of those places. You can come with me, even if you have sweaty thighs. ;)
 
i remember that post! :)

Actually, I think the original recipe was for a marinara sauce from Tyler Florence. I could be wrong though.

Is it time for me to get the black lace bustier, spike heels, and flogger out again? [evil grin]

Go ahead, make my day. :D

I'll film. We need some money to pay for all the diners, drive-ins, and dives we are going to visit.
 
i love the way your mind works, minx. :D

ed

Thank you muchly.

I woke up first thing this morning and wanted a cookie. (Two days ago, I woke up first thing and wanted a hot dog. Not sure what is going on with me, but I'm just rolling with it.) So I am going to try one of these 2 recipes. Both of them are off Recipe4living website. They are kinda hit and miss. I've never tried either before --but this is a quest for new recipes so anyone who wants to join the great blueberry experiment, dive in!

Blueberry-White Morsels Biscotti
1 pkg. blueberry muffin mix with can of blueberries
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
2 cups white chocolate morsels, divided
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
3/4 cup flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 baking sheets. Drain blueberries; set aside. Combine muffin mix, flour, butter, and eggs, just until combined in a large bowl. Fold in 1/2 cup morsels and drained blueberries with floured hands. Shape half of the dough into a 12 inch long roll, (dough will be sticky). Place on a prepared cookie sheet; flatten slightly, until about 2 inches wide. Repeat with remaining dough. Bake for about 25 min, or until toothpick tests clean. Cool on baking sheet on wire rack for 1 hour. Cut each roll diagonally into 3/4 inch slices with serrated knife. Place slices, cut sides down, on an un-greased baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn slices over and bake 6 min more or until light brown (do not over bake). Transfer to wire racks to cool. Place remaining morsels in a small heavy duty plastic bag. Microwave on high for 20 seconds, knead bag to mix. Wave at additional 10 second intervals, kneading until smooth. Cut a small hole in the corner of the bag; squeeze to drizzle biscotti. Let stand until drizzle is set. Store air tight at room temp up to 24 hours. Freeze up to 3 months for longer storage.

P.S. I'm using parchment paper to avoid all the greasing and degreasing.

or maybe

Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble Bars
1 pkg. plain yellow cake mix
1 cup butter, melted
1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed and drained
2 large eggs

Place rack in center of the oven, and preheat to 350 degrees. Set aside an ungreased 13x9 in baking pan. Put the cake mix, butter, oatmeal, brown sugar, eggs, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Blend on low for 1 to 1 1/2 imn. Stop and scrape down the sides. Mixture will be thick. Reserve 1 1/2 cup for topping. Transfer the remaining crust to the pan. Using your fingertips (Ok seriously, what else would you use? your elbow? your butt? I'd need a bigger pan!) press the mixture evenly over the bottom of the pan so that it reaches all sides. For the filling, place the blueberries and sugar in a bowl and stir to combine. Pour the blueberries onto that crust and spread with a spoon so they are evenly distributed. Pinch off pieces of the reserved crust mixture and scatter over filling. Place the pan in the oven. (Hmmmm, I was going to stick it in the cabinet. .. )Bake until light brown and bubbling, 40 to 45 minutes. remove the pan from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool for about 30 minutes. Cut into bars.

Even though it sounds like it might be tasty, the last recipe was apparently written for booger eating morons or my friend Eileen who only microwaves things. She however does not eat boogers to my knowledge. :cool:
 
went with the

Biscotti which are really pretty yummy if a little bit sweet. I skipped the white chocolate drizzle so as not to exacerbate the problem. Crunchy and tasty, the kids ate half the batch already. Heathens, who raised them anyway. . . oh right. :eek:
 
Honeycomb Toffee

Two tablespoons of Golden Syrup.
Two tablespoons of sugar.
One teaspoon bicarbonate of soda.

Boil syrup and sugar for ten minutes (in a medium saucepan, it will increase in volume), remove from fire and stir in soda quickly, while still bubbling pour into a greased baking dish, allow to cool obviously.​


I'm sure there are other versions of this, but if you can find golden syrup it really is better.
 
A French friend introduced me to this because I mentioned I was looking for bread recipes to expand my skillset.

Ingredients:
2/3 Cup honey (can use dark)
1/4 Cup brown sugar (can also use dark brown sugar. I'm not sure what the difference is myself.)
1 Cup milk (could use cream if you like it very rich)
1/2 Cup butter
2 Cups Flour
2 Teaspoons baking powder
1 Teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon nutmeg
"pinch" salt. I'm not sure what that is. This worked fine for me assuming that a pinch of salt was about half a teaspoon.
Grated lemon or orange zest, your call. I prefer orange for this.
1 Egg, lightly beaten

Using a saucepan, bring the honey, sugar, milk/cream, and butter to a boil. Sift your dry ingredients, stirring the zest into the dry mixture. Make a well in the dry, add your egg, and begin incorporating the dry ingredients slowly. Add the honey/sugar/milk mixture slowly. As you draw all of the ingredients together you'll get a rather aromatic batter. Pour into a greased and floured loaf pan.

Bake at 175C/350F for fifty (50) minutes. The "toothpick test" works on this, that being where you insert a toothpick into the center and the bread is done when the toothpick can be withdrawn cleanly. Let stand to cool.

You can serve once it's cooled or wrap it in plastic and store it a few days. Letting it stand for a few days allows the flavours to mature and I strongly recommend you do that. Now, keep in mind one can always have a few slices and let the rest of the loaf mature. That's what I do, but I'm horrible at resisting temptation.
 
It's been a baaaaad day

From the Cuisine Tonight magazine:

This was lunch:

Curry Chicken Salad
1 lb cooked chicken, chopped
1 cup halved red grapes
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup minced scallions
2 Tblsp. sliced toasted almonds
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 Tblsp. curry powder
2 Tblsp. lime juice
1 Tblsp honey
salt and red pepper flakes to taste
2 Tblsp each chopped fresh cilantro, and chopped mint

Mix the veggies, fruit, and chicken in a bowl. Whisk together the sauce ingredients and stir into the chicken. Add the almonds. Chill and serve.

This is dinner:
Herbed Pork Loin Roast with Vegetables
1 stick unsalted butter, soft
1 Tblsp. stone ground mustard
1 Tblsp. each, fresh garlic, thyme, and sage
2 tsp. minced fresh rosemary
1 four lb pork loin roast
salt and pepper to taste
6 large Yukon gold potatoes, quartered
6 carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
6 whole shallots, peeled

Mix the butter, mustard, herbs, garlic. Season the roast with the salt and pepper. Rub the top and sides of the roast with the butter mixture and put butter side up in a roasting pan. Scatter veggies around the roast, and roast at 400 degrees until tests 145 degrees in center, about 1 hour and 45 min.

Cherry Applesauce
1/4 cup thinly sliced shallots
2 Tblsp. unsalted butter
8 Braeburn, or Granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and rough-chopped
1/2 cup unsweetened cherry juice
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup dried cherries

Saute the shallots in butter for about 5 min, til translucent. Add apples, cherry juice, honey and dried cherries. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer til tender, 35 - 40 min. Crush apples with a potato masher til fruit is still slightly chunky. Serve warm with the pork.

And does anyone have anything spectacular to do with eggplants? I grew some, no idea what to do with the things, and I'm not finding anything on my usual recipe haunts that is trippin my trigger. Pretty please?
 
Last edited:
And does anyone have anything spectacular to do with eggplants? I grew some, no idea what to do with the things, and I'm not finding anything on my usual recipe haunts that is trippin my trigger. Pretty please?

Have you tried www.recipezaar.com? I did a search of the ingredient eggplants and got 2,205 recipes.
 
Wow been a while since this thread popped up but since it did. . .

I guess I will have to post a recipe!

My spin on Israeli Couscous Salad a' al Giada Delaurentis

1 box Golden Jewel Blend from Wegmans, or 2 cups of Israeli couscous*
2 cups of chicken broth for GJ blend, or 4 cups for couscous
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 1/2 Tblsp. chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1 med. green apple, chopped
1 cup dried cherries, or cranberries
1/2 cup chopped pecans or slivered almonds

Viniagrette:
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3 Tblsp. maple syrup
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
1/4 cup olive oil

Bring the Golden Jewel Blend and chicken stock to a boil. Cover with lid partially open. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 12 minutes. Turn off heat, close lid completely and let sit for 3 min. Fluff with a fork. Cool for 20 min. Prepare the viniagrette by whisking together the vinegar and maple syrup, salt and pepper. Add oil in slow stream until emulsified. Add to couscous. Add remaining ingredients. Stir until well combined, and serve.

* If using couscous, toast the couscous in 2 Tblsp of olive oil until golden, about 4 minutes. Add chicken stock and cook according to the directions on the box. Follow the rest of the recipe from there.
 
These are things that I made over a period of one or two years some 14 years ago. I am bedridden now and want to share with others.

Most were done for potlucks so many recipes are large. P.A.C.E. was a seniors exercise group.

This was during my sourdough and cranberry period.

When I had an idea for a dish I would read appropriate recipes and then put away the books and create my own version.


A Dvorak family recipe that George makes on great and momentous occasions, or just because.

Strudel Dough:
1 cup milk
1/3 stick butter
Bring to a boil
2 eggs beaten
Pour milk, butter mixture over eggs while beating eggs
flour, approx. 2-1/2 cups
Add flour while working with the back of a wooden spoon until just firm enough to handle (dough should be as soft as possible).
Knead the dough until it is smooth.
Divide in two and work between the hands until smooth.
Place in buttered bowls and cover with plastic film or butter your hands before shaping the individual pieces and then wrap in plastic film, less cleanup. (better than the moist towel that was used in the past)

Rest for 20-30 minutes in a warm place or over warm water (dough must be kept warm!)

Place on a floured cloth and roll out as thin as possible. Strive for a rectangle where the narrow side is just a little wider than the long side of your pan.

Apple Filling: This is the only filling that my mother ever used.
Sprinkle a quarter cup of flour over dough.
Dust with Cardamom.
Sprinkle 1/2 oz. Cinnamon.
Distribute 1/2 lb. Walnut pieces.
Distribute 1 Cup coconut.
Distribute 1 Cup raisins.
Cover with sliced apples. I used 3 Cameo and 1½ Gala apples.
Distribute 1 Cup sugar.
Dot with 1/3 stick of butter.

Cranberry Filling:
Sprinkle a quarter cup of flour over dough.
Sprinkle 1/2 oz. Cinnamon.
Distribute 1/2 lb. Walnut pieces.
Distribute 24 oz. Fresh cranberries.
Distribute 1 Cup sugar.

Peach Filling: On a trip to Alaska salmon fishing I filled a suitcase with flour, sugar, homegrown peaches and all the rest of what I would need.
Distribute a mixture of 2 Tbs. Cornstarch and 1 tsp. Almond extract.
Sprinkle 1/2 oz. Cinnamon.
Distribute 6 sliced fresh peaches or nectarines.
Dot with 1/3 stick butter.

Finish:
Lift sides of cloth to flip long edges in 1 to 1-1/2 inch.
Flip far end in a couple of inches.
Then roll and placed on 17x11-1/4x3/4-inch pan (2 rolls per pan)
Sprinkle sugar on top

Bake:
450 degrees for 15 minutes
Rub some butter on the surface to keep it soft
400 degrees for 45 more minutes (In my oven 300 is better)


Goulash --as interpreted by George Dvorak
(Al Wooten, an astronomer, and Texas ChiliHead tells me that this would qualify as 'Chili')

2 lbs. ground beef browned and drained
2 lbs. onions, chopped -you may put these in with the beef
or just in the pot
3 large cans tomatoes, whole, sauce, puree --whatever
1 large can 'pork and' beans --is there really any pork
1/4 cup vinegar (can get too sharp)
1 tablespoon sugar (a necessity)
1/4 teaspoon cloves (be careful)
1 teaspoon ginger ( be liberal)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2-4 bay leaves

Brown the ground beef, you may add the onions if you wish, drain
Put the tomatoes in a large kettle, over medium heat,
rinse the cans and add about a can of water
Add spices
Add onions
Add the drained beef
When the mixture boils turn the heat to low and simmer for a while
(an hour or so)
Add the beans, and simmer --be careful the beans stick

Add noodles if you wish, they will thicken the mixture if it is
too thin, else add some water with the noodles

This gets better after it sits a day or so, you can use it for
several meals

(This started as an attempt to recreate my mothers "Goulash" which I
remember as being a sweet-sour, spicy, soup with pieces of tomato and
roast beef. It was a very 'soupy' and satisfying.
Goulash --as prepared for P.A.C.E. 12/20/2002 by George Dvorak

6 Cans (28oz.) of crushed tomatoes with tomato sauce
4 Cans water
6 oz. White vinegar
2 Tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon ground cloves
2 Tablespoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon black peppers
12 bay leaves ground in a spice grinder
Place above in a large cooking pot and bring to a boil

In a skillet
½ stick butter
3 lbs. Onions chopped
Brown onions in butter then put in cooking pot

4 lbs. ground beef (7% fat)
Brown and add to cooking pot
When the mixture boils turn the heat to low and simmer for an hour or so

Add
1 53 oz. can baked beans
Simmer for a while longer. Be careful the beans stick
Goulash --a variation that Dick Stubbs thought tasted like turtle soup!

1/s stick butter.
3 lbs. onions, chopped, brown in butter
2 lbs. ground beef, 7% fat. Add to onions and brown.
2 large cans tomatoes, whole, cut or crushed would be better.
1 large can tomato puree
2 tomato cans of water
1 28 oz. can Bush's Bold & Spicy Baked Beans
- These are essential, they have chili peppers
1/3 cup Vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar (a necessity)
1/4 teaspoon cloves (be careful)
2 teaspoons ginger ( be liberal)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
6-8 bay leaves

Brown the onions, then add and brown the ground beef
Put the tomatoes in a large kettle, over medium heat,
rinse the cans and add 2 cans of water
Add spices
Add the onions and beef
When the mixture boils turn the heat to low and simmer for a while
(an hour or so)
Add the beans, and simmer --be careful the beans stick

This gets better after it sits a day or so, you can use it for
several meals


Taquitos
After watching a friend make taquitos, George Dvorak now prepares this.

Toothpicks

Corn Tortillas
Cover the tortillas with a damp cloth or damp paper towel and warm
in the oven (or in a microwave) before rolling, otherwise, they will crack.
Corned Beef Hash
Put a small spoonful of corned beef hash on one edge of the tortilla.
Roll tightly and the corned beef will spread out and fill the rolled tortilla.
Fry in hot oil until crisp.

Serve with Fruit Salad and Guacamole sauce.
Dip the Taquito into guacamole sauce as you eat.

Guacamole Sauce

2 avocados, soft ripe
1/2 small can Green Chili Salsa
1/2 to 3/4 cup Mayonnaise --not Sandwich Spread!

Cut the avocado in half,
save the seed,
scoop the flesh from the skin.
Mash the avocado until smooth,
stir in the mayonnaise
Add the green chili salsa and mix. Use more salsa to make a hotter sauce.

Guacamole is very perishable. Make it just before you will eat it.
Put the seed on top of the guacamole and the guacamole will
not turn brown as soon.
For P.A.C.E. 3/17/2003
Corned Beef and Potatoes with Green Sauce

6 Dozen Corn Tortillas
Microwave tortillas in their plastic wrapping for a couple of minutes until they are steamy and limp before rolling, they will crack if not soft enough.

3 15 ounce cans Corned Beef Hash
Put a small spoonful of corned beet hash on one edge of the tortilla.
Roll tightly and the corned beef will spread out and fill the rolled tortilla.
Place on a greased baking pan. Packing tightly. Three dozen will fit on a 17x11-1/4x3/4-inch pan Brush with oil when the pan is full.

Bake at 550º F. for 45 minutes, turning occasionally.

Serve with guacamole sauce. Dip the Taquito into guacamole sauce as you eat.


Guacamole Sauce

12 avocados, soft ripe
2 Cans Salsa Verde
1 24 ounce bottle Salsa Casera
1 Pint Mayonnaise --not Sandwich Spread!

Cut the avocado in half,
save the seed,
scoop the flesh from the skin.
Mash the avocado until smooth,
stir in the mayonnaise
Add the salsas and mix.

Guacamole is very perishable. Make it just before you will eat it.
Put some of the seeds on top of the guacamole and the guacamole will
not turn brown as soon.


Fruit Salad
George Dvorak's interpretation of heaven.

1 small can of crushed pineapple, include the juice
2 apples (pippins) chopped, toss in the pineapple to prevent darkening
1 crisp pear, bosc or winter Nellis
1 orange or tangerines chopped
1 banana
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1/2 cup miniature marshmallows
1/2 cup sour cream

Mix this all together and let stand for 30 minutes or so.1
Yogurt Fruit Salad
George Dvorak's new - lower-calorie interpretation of heaven.

20 oz. can of chunk pineapple, include the juice
16 oz. can of sour cherries
1/2 cup raisins
2 apples (pippins) chopped, toss in the pineapple to prevent darkening
1 crisp pear, bosc or winter Nellis
1 orange or 2 tangerines chopped
1 or 2 bananas
1 cup walnut pieces
16 oz. plain, low-fat yogurt
8 oz. vanilla yogurt (especially if the plain yogurt is sour)

Mix the walnuts and the plain yogurt and refrigerate overnight.
Put the pineapple with its juice in a bowl. Slice the fruit into the pineapple
juice and stir to wet all. This keeps the fruit slices from oxidizing and
darkening. Drain the pineapple juice just before adding the yogurts if you
want the dressing to be more firm. The cherries and raisins are somewhat
redundant, you may omit one or the other.

Mix this all together and let stand for 30 minutes or so.


Potato Salad by George Dvorak
The ONLY way to make potato salad

10 lbs. potatoes, boiled and sliced
30 eggs boiled (not really just simmered)
2 large onions, chopped
1 lb. celery, sliced
1 qt. mayonnaise
12 oz. mustard, plain old yellow mustard
22 oz. sweet pickle relish

I have quit peeling potatoes for the most part. After all most of the vitamins
are just under the skin and fiber of many kinds seems to reduce blood Cholesterol, anyway it is a lot easier and even tastes good. Choosing a mayonnaise with safflower oil helps also. The mustard adds a nice yellow color along with an interesting bite.


George Dvorak's Chicken Curry

After looking at an Indian cookbook I created this.

Brown with a little butter in a large saucepan
3 tablespoons Garam Masala ( or American curry powder)
4 chicken breast, cut into 3/4 inch slices with a cleaver
(Could just as well be a whole chicken cut into small pieces, or
(roast the chicken and debone the meat, break the bones and make
(a broth.
Continue cooking over medium heat, tossing occasionally
4 carrots, sliced
3 potatoes, cubed
1 onion, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers
Add and simmer (or microwave)
1 pound frozen green beans
1 pound frozen peas
1 pound sliced mushrooms
If liquid accumulates or if broth was made, thicken with
3-4 tablespoons flour and water paste
or use a can of cream soup (mushroom, celery, etc.)
Finish with
16 ounces of plain yogurt (do not boil or yogurt will curdle)

salt if you must, not at all if a cream soup is used

Serve over steamed rice:
Cover and cook until water is completely absorbed
3 cups Basmati rice This rice gets nicely fragrant after being
6 cups water stored for a year or so after harvest.

Serve several chutneys to be used as a relish on the side.

For a very festive occasion provide these to be sprinkled over the top of the
curry:
pineapple, unsweetened, crushed
apples, chopped and dipped in the pineapple juice to prevent darkening
boiled eggs, chopped
peanuts, crushed
raisins
coconut, unsweetened, toasted


Another Chicken Curry by George Dvorak

Bake ahead of time
2 jalapeno peppers diced
1 serrano pepper diced
1 large onion chopped
1 whole chicken, stuffed with onion and pepper, baked
place the liver inside the chicken so it is not overcooked
also bake ahead of time
3 medium potatoes, cubed
5 carrots cut into 1/2 inch slices

remove the skin, and bones from the chicken
put a little water on the bones and boil

tear the chicken into small pieces
add cooked vegetables
1 pound frozen green beans
1 pound frozen peas
1 can cream of ... soup, chicken, mushroom, celery, etc.

season with
2 tablespoons ground turmeric
3 tablespoons Garam Masala
-- brown spices in a hot pan for a more interesting color and flavor
water from chicken bones
3-4 tablespoons flour to thicken
bake or microwave until frozen vegetables are cooked

add
16 ounces yogurt

heat, but do not boil, yogurt will curdle and separate if heated too much

The flavor improves when reheated the next day!

Serve over steamed rice:
Cover and cook until water is completely absorbed
3 cups Basmati rice This rice gets nicely fragrant after being
6 cups water stored for a year or so after harvest.

In place of the yogurt, a can of coconut milk produces a divine curry
also, a few pods of green cardamom adds greatly to the flavor.


Sticky Pecan Rolls

Use any bread dough, enriched with milk, eggs, and extra sweetener
2 packages dry yeast
2 Cups warm water or scalded milk
1 Cup dried milk (if water was used)
1-1/2 Tbs honey or sugar
1-1/2 Cups whole wheat or unbleached white flour
2-4 eggs, beaten
Use a large crock bowl if possible, otherwise any large container.
Preheat with hot water
Mix the above ingredients, beat 100 strokes
- this improves the texture of the dough
Set aside to rise, yeast works best when the temperature is 80-100 degrees
a gas oven with a pilot is often the right temperature, or preheat the oven
to 200 degrees for a short time
REMEMBER: heat above 120 degrees kills the yeast
Cover (plastic wrap or a wet cloth) and let rise for a while, 30-45 minutes,
although even 15 minutes will do if you are in a hurry.

1/2 Cup shortening - at least half should be butter
2/3 Cup sweetener, honey, brown sugar, sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp mace or nutmeg
Cream these together and fold into the sponge.

3-1/2 Cups whole wheat or unbleached white flour
Fold in the flour until you have a soft dough.
Turn out the dough onto a floured surface (I use the stove top - but a sturdy
table works well also)
Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, add more flour as necessary, but
keep the dough as moist as you can handle - I butter my hands to keep it
from sticking.
Butter the bowl, form the dough into a smooth ball and place in the bowl,
cover again to keep moist, let rise until double - this 30 to 90 minutes
depending on the temperature.
Divide the dough in half.
On a floured cloth (a piece of sheet works well) roll the dough into a 16 by
18 or 24-inch rectangle - make the edges quite straight or else the end
rolls will be skimpy.

1/4 Cup butter, melted or very soft
1/4 Cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 Cup raisins or currants
Spread with butter
Sprinkle the sugar, cinnamon, and raisins evenly over the dough
Starting along the long edge, lift the cloth and roll up jelly roll style

Butter 2 9 x 12-inch baking pans.
Cover the bottom with pecan halves.
1/4 Cup or less brown sugar
drizzle dark Karo syrup over the brown sugar
Cut the roll into 24 pieces, either use a knife or scissors.
(to cut evenly start by cutting in half, then each in half again, and in
half once again, now cut each into three pieces)
Place cut side down, 4 rows of 3 in each pan.
Cover and place in a warm place to rise for 20-30 minutes.
Repeat with the second half of the dough.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes (the amount of syrup and brown sugar effect
the baking time and temperature. You want a stiff candied layer that is
not scorched.)
Immediately turn out onto a baking sheet. Use two hot pads, quickly flip the
baking dish over, holding it just above the sheet. If you allow the rolls to cool in the baking pan they will be permanently glued in place.
**Be careful, the syrup is very hot and could burn badly.


The original recipe from a friend of George Dvorak's.
German Apple Cake - bake 1 hour at 350 degrees

Combine until creamy
3 small or 2 large eggs
2 cups sugar
add
1 cup salad oil
1 teaspoon vanilla

Sift together
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine the above mixtures.

By hand add
4 cups apples, thinly sliced
1 cup nuts, chopped

FROSTING

Beat until smooth
6 oz. cream cheese
2 tablespoons melted butter
add
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar


George Dvorak's version of German Apple Cake

Combine until creamy
4 extra large eggs
2 cups sugar
add
1/2 lb. (2 sticks) butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

Sift together
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine the above mixtures.

By hand add
4 pippin apples (4 cups or so), thinly sliced
1 cup (don't bother chopping) walnuts

Put in a 33 x 23 x 5 cm pan.
13 x 9 x 1 inch

Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees
After cake has cooled cover with plastic film. I like the softer texture.

FROSTING

Beat until smooth
8 oz. (yep the whole package) cream cheese
2 tablespoons melted butter
add
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar

Don't frost the cake ahead of time. Take the frosting (in the mixing bowl) and a spatula. Then when you arrive where the cake will be served frost it. Otherwise, you will have dark specks all over it.


George Dvorak's healthy (well sort of) version of German Apple Cake

Combine (beat) until creamy
2 extra large eggs
2 cups sugar
then add and beat until uniformly mixed
3/4 Cup Canola Oil
1/2 stick butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
then add and stir by hand
2 cups whole wheat flour (King Arthur 100% white)

By hand add
4 medium apples (4 cups or so), thinly sliced, I used Fuji
1 cup (don't bother chopping) walnuts

Put in a 33 x 23 x 5 cm pan.
13 x 9 x 1 inch

Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees (It took 75 minutes in a glass pan, 90 minutes is metal)
After cake has cooled cover with plastic film. I like the softer texture.

FROSTING

Beat until smooth
8 oz. Low fat cream cheese
add
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
Don't frost the cake ahead of time. Take the frosting (in the mixing bowl) and a spatula. Then when you arrive where the cake will be served frost it. Otherwise, you will have dark specks all over it.


George Dvorak's healthy (well sort of) Cranberry Cake

Combine (beat) until creamy
3 large eggs
2 cups sugar
then add and beat until uniformly mixed
1 Cup Canola Oil
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
then add and stir by hand
2 cups whole wheat flour (King Arthur 100% white)

By hand add
12 ounces fresh cranberries, no I did not quarter or even half as some suggest.
1 cup pecan pieces

Put in a 13 x 9 x 1-inch metal pan

Bake 75 minutes at 350 degrees
After cake has cooled cover with plastic film. I like the softer texture.

FROSTING

Beat until smooth
8 oz. Low fat cream cheese
add
2 cups powdered sugar
and beat until smooth*
2 oranges, sectioned
Slit center line of the membrane and remove the membrane from sides of the section.
Slice each section into 1/8 to 1/4 inch slices.

Don't frost the cake ahead of time. Take the frosting (in the mixing bowl) and a spatula. Then when you arrive where the cake will be served frost it. Otherwise, you will have dark specks all over it.*


Chicken

3 chickens, roasted in a covered roaster.
Pour liquid into bowl and chill, remove the layer of fat when hard, discard.
Remove meat from bones.
Serve breasts and other desirable pieces separately.
Chop remaining meat and reserve for soup.

Put skin, crushed bones in a stockpot.
Cover with water and bring to a boil.
Simmer for a couple of hours.
Drain stock into a bowl.
Pick through for soft gristle, bits of meat and such, reserve for your best cat.
Dispose of bones and skin.
Put broth back in the stockpot, add chopped chicken meat.
Bring to a boil and simmer for an hour.
Pour into bowl and chill.
Remove the layer of hardened fat and discard.

Put all stock in a 16-quart pot and bring to a boil.
Add
1 lb. parsnips cut into pieces.
3-1/2 lb. carrots sliced.
2 lbs. onions, diced.
1-1/2 lb. pasilla chile, chopped.
1/2 Hungarian chile.
1/2 lb. Chinese celery, chopped.
1 lb. bok choy, chopped.
2 lb. russet potatoes cubed.
1-1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced.
1 teaspoon black pepper.
4 bay leaves.

I was going to add one or two teaspoons of pickling spice (ground in a coffee mill) but I forgot!

Simmer for a couple of hours.
Serve, but will be better after it has been refrigerated.
Bring to a boil every three or four days.


Los Angles Times Food Section January 15, 2003 (George Dvorak)

Recipe: Old-fashioned orange cake

Total time: 1 hour

Servings: 10 to 12

Note: Marian Wilke notes that the original recipe called for processing the orange and raisins in a meat grinder; that gives you an idea of the size of the chunks that are necessary. She also notes that it should be baked in a metal pan rather than glass, which tends to burn the cake.

1 orange
1 cup raisins
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk, divided
2 cups cake flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup powdered sugar

1. Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 13-by-9-inch baking pan.

2. Scrub the rind of the orange well. Remove both ends of the orange and cut it into large chunks. Set aside.

3. Place the raisins in a food processor and pulse 6 or 7 times until coarsely chopped. Add the orange chunks and pulse 5 or 6 times to reduce them to evenly sized small pieces. Empty into a small bowl and set aside.

4. Pulse the granulated sugar and shortening together in the food processor 4 or 5 times to combine, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Add the eggs, one at a time, and process in between, scraping down the sides. The mixture should be smooth, light and fluffy. Add three-fourths cup buttermilk and process to combine. The mixture will be very liquid and may look slightly separated.

5. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon and add to the processor. Pulse just to combine into a smooth batter. Add all but 2 tablespoons of the orange-raisin mixture and pulse once or twice. Add the walnuts and pulse once; do not over-process.

6. Pour the batter into the pan; bake until the sides have begun to brown and pull away from the pan, 35 to 40 minutes. The cake should still be a little moist in the center.

7. Whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons of buttermilk and the powdered sugar until smooth. Whisk in the reserved 2 tablespoons of the orange-raisin mixture and spread it over the hot cake. Serve at room temperature.


Old-fashioned orange cake, George Dvorak's version for P.A.C.E. January 17, 2003
Cake:
1 orange
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 cups white whole wheat flour. (King Arthur brand from Trader Joe's)
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped walnuts

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons buttermilk
1 orange

1. Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Put 2 tablespoons of butter in a 13-by-9-inch baking pan. Melt in the oven and then tilt pan to distribute butter.

2. Scrub the rind of the orange well. Remove both ends of the orange and cut it into large chunks. Process in a food processor pulsing until they are reduced to evenly sized small pieces.

3. Place granulated sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, shortening and eggs together in a bowl and beat until smooth. Add the buttermilk and beat to combine.

4. Add flour and by hand combine into a smooth batter. Add raisins, processed orange, walnuts, and mix.

5. Pour the batter into the pan; bake until the sides have begun to brown and pull away from the pan, 35 to 40 minutes. The cake should still be a little moist in the center.

6 Place powdered sugar and buttermilk in a bowl and stir until smooth. Peel and section 1 orange. Slit the membrane along the center and remove from sides of each section. Cut sections into thin slices. Mix into powdered sugar, buttermilk mixture. Spread it over the hot cake.

7 Serve at room temperature.

Old Fashioned Red Devil's Food Cake Makes 2 layer 9-inch cake, 24 servings.
Submitted by: Cathy
Chocolate cake with pecan filling and seafoam frosting. My Aunt always made this cake and it is very moist and rich.

**Cake Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt*
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour milk
1 cup boiling water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups white sugar

** Pecan Filling Ingredients:
1/3 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup milk
3 egg yolks
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans

** Satin Seafoam Frosting Ingredients:
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/3 cup hot water
3 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

**Cake Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 2 - 9-inch pans.
Sift together 2 cups flour, cocoa, baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
Add flour mixture alternately with sour milk.
Add 1 cup boiling water and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
Divide batter into two 9-inch pans.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
Allow layers to cool, then spread Pecan Filling between layers. Then frost with SATIN Seafoam Icing.

** Pecan Filling Directions:
In a saucepan, combine 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, butter, milk and egg yolks.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick.
Remove from heat, add 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in pecans and set aside to cool. Spread between layers of cake, then frost with Satin Seafoam Icing.

**Satin Seafoam Icing directions:
In a saucepan, combine 3/4 cup brown sugar, 3/4 cup white sugar, cream of tartar and 1/3 cup hot water.
Cover and bring to a boil.
Uncover and cook until 246 degrees F (120 degrees C).
Remove from heat.
In a large bowl, beat egg whites until foamy.
While beating with an electric mixer on medium speed, slowly pour hot syrup in a thin stream over egg whites.
Turn mixer to high speed, and continue beating until stiff peaks form, and frosting is thick enough to spread.
Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.


What George made for P.A.C.E. February 14, 2003
Old Fashioned Red Devil's Food Cake Makes 2 layer heart-shaped cake, about 48 servings.

**Cake Ingredients:
4 cups King Arthur 100% whole wheat flour (Trader Joe's, Ralph's, Albert sons)
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
4 eggs
1 cup sour milk
2 cups boiling water
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups white sugar
** Pecan Filling Ingredients:
1-1/3 cup white sugar
4 tablespoon King Arthur 100% whole wheat flour (Trader Joe's, Ralph's, Albert sons)
8 tablespoons butter
2-2/3 cup milk
3 egg yolks and 6 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cup chopped pecans
** Satin Seafoam Frosting Ingredients:
1-1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1-1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2/3 cup hot water
6 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

**Cake Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 2 - 9-inch pans.
Sift together 2 cups flour, cocoa, baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
Add flour mixture alternately with sour milk.
Add 1 cup boiling water and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
Divide batter into two 9-inch round pans and two 9-inch square pans.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
Allow cakes to cool and remove cake from pans. Place a square cake diagonally on a large baking sheet. Cut a round cake in half and place the flat side of halves against adjacent corners of the square cake to form a heart.
Spread Pecan Filling on top and then create the second cake layer. Then frost with Satin Seafoam Icing.

** Pecan Filling Directions:
In a saucepan, combine 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, butter, milk and egg yolks.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick.
Remove from heat, add 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in pecans and set aside to cool. Spread between layers of cake, then frost with Satin Seafoam Icing.

**Satin Seafoam Icing directions:
In a saucepan, combine 3/4 cup brown sugar, 3/4 cup white sugar, cream of tartar and 1/3 cup hot water.
Cover and bring to a boil.
Uncover and cook until 246 degrees F (120 degrees C).
Remove from heat.
In a large bowl, beat egg whites until foamy.
While beating with an electric mixer on medium speed, slowly pour hot syrup in a thin stream over egg whites.
Turn mixer to high speed, and continue beating until stiff peaks form, and frosting is thick enough to spread.
Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.


Whole Wheat Sourdough Bread

Use this same dough for sourdough English muffins, sourdough cinnamon rolls, etc.

At night:
9 cups whole wheat flour
1-2 cups starter
7-1/2 cups lukewarm water
In morning:
Replenish starter
1 cup oil
2 Tablespoons salt
10-12 cups or more of whole wheat flour
Night:
Add starter to flour without mixing. Then mix together while adding water a few cups at a time, until a thick pasty batter is formed. Beat well.

Morning:
Remove 1-2 cups from sponge to replenish starter, and refrigerate for next sourdough bread.
Now fold in oil, salt, and remaining flour gradually with a spoon.
When dough comes easily away from the bowl but is still a bit sticky, remove and place on a floured breadboard. Knead for five minutes, adding more flour as necessary. The dough will be a little softer and stickier than normal yeasted bread.
Cut into four sections and form into loaves. Place in oiled bread pans. Slit tops. Allow two hours rising in pans.
Brush tops with water. Place in pre-heated 425º oven for 20 minutes.
Brush tops with water again, turn oven down to 375º, and continue baking for 60-75 minutes.*


Sourdough Carrot Cake
1-½ cups vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
1 cups Sourdough Starter
3 eggs
1 cup (8 ounces) crushed pineapple
2 cups grated carrots
½ cup chopped walnuts
2 teaspoons vanilla
2-½ cups whole wheat flour (King Arthur, Trader Joe's, Ralph's, Albert sons)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ cup shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350º F.

Combine the oil and sugar and add the Sourdough Starter.
Mix in the eggs, one at a time and beat well.
Fold in the pineapple, carrots, nuts, and vanilla.
Combine the dry ingredients and blend well with the wet mixture.
Fold in the coconut.

Bake in greased, 9x13-inch pan for 40 to 45 minutes.
Cool on a wire rack before frosting.

FROSTING
Beat until smooth
8 oz. cream cheese
2 tablespoons melted butter
add
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts

Don't frost the cake ahead of time. Take the frosting (in the mixing bowl) and a spatula. Then when you arrive where the cake will be served frost it. Otherwise, you will have dark specks all over it.

Sourdough starter is available from: See http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/ for the story.
Oregon Trail Sourdough
P. O. Box 321
Jefferson, MD 21755 USA
Just send an S.A.S.E. And wait a couple of weeks.


CARROT CAKE
3 C. sugar
1 1/2 C. corn oil
4 lg. eggs
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
¾ C. unsweetened cocoa
3 C. white whole wheat flour (King Arthur at Trader Joe's, Ralph's, Albert sons)
1 1/2 C. chopped walnuts
1 1/2 C. shredded coconut
2 C. carrots, grated
2 C. crushed pineapple

Preheat oven 350 degrees.
Grease 3 (9-inch) non-stick cake pans.
Beat sugar and oil together. Add eggs one at a time and beat well.
Add salt, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, Cinnamon, vanilla, cocoa and beat well.
Add pineapple and mix well.
Mix in flour until well blended. Add walnuts, coconut, and carrots and mix well.
Pour batter into prepared pans. Set on the middle rack of the oven and bake 40 minutes, until edges have pulled away from sides and a cake tester inserted comes out clean.

FROSTING (for between layers)
Beat until smooth
8 oz. cream cheese
2 tablespoons melted butter
add
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts

FROSTING (for top and sides)
Beat until smooth
8 oz. cream cheese
2 tablespoons melted butter
add
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
1/3 C. unsweetened cocoa


CHOCOLATE CARROT CAKE for Helen Lewis' 90th birthday
3 Cups sugar
1 1/2 Cups corn oil
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
¾ Cups unsweetened cocoa
2 Cups crushed pineapple
3 Cups whole wheat flour (King Arthur at Trader Joe's, Ralph's, Albertsons)
1 1/2 Cups chopped walnuts
1 1/2 Cups shredded coconut
2 Cups carrots, grated

Preheat oven 350 degrees.
Grease 3 (9-inch) non-stick cake pans.
Beat sugar and oil together. Add eggs one at a time and beat well.
Add salt, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, Cinnamon, vanilla, cocoa and beat well.
Add pineapple and mix well.
Mix in flour until well blended. Add walnuts, coconut, and carrots and mix well.
Pour batter into prepared pans. Set on the middle rack of the oven and bake 45 minutes, until edges have pulled away from sides and a cake tester inserted comes out clean.

FROSTING (for between layers)
Beat until smooth
8 ounces cream cheese
2 Tablespoons melted butter
add
2 teaspoons vanilla
2/3 of a 20-ounce jar of Raspberry Jam
1 cup chopped walnuts (to keep the layers from slipping during the ride)

FROSTING (for top and sides)
Beat until smooth
8 ounces cream cheese
2 Tablespoons melted butter
add
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
1/3 C. unsweetened cocoa
3 Tablespoons milk (as required for spreading)


Chocolate Carrot Cake for P.A.C.E. 3/31/2003 the birthday of Cesar Chavez
2 C. sugar
1 C. corn oil
3 large eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 C. unsweetened cocoa
1 C. crushed pineapple
2 C. white whole wheat flour (King Arthur at Trader Joe's, Ralph's, Albert sons)
1 C. chopped walnuts
1 C. shredded coconut
1 1/2 C. carrots, grated

Preheat oven 350 degrees.
Grease 2 (9-inch) non-stick cake pans or a 9x13-inch pan.
Beat sugar and oil together. Add eggs one at a time and beat well.
Add salt, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, Cinnamon, vanilla, cocoa and beat well.
Add pineapple and mix well.
Mix in flour until well blended. Add walnuts, coconut, and carrots and mix well.
Pour batter into prepared pans. Set on the middle rack of the oven and bake 60 minutes, until edges have pulled away from sides and a cake tester inserted comes out clean.


FROSTING
Beat until smooth
8 oz. cream cheese
2 tablespoons melted butter
add
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
1/3 C. unsweetened cocoa


Apple Pie Bars Apple pie that you can eat with your hands!

Filling:
8 granny smith and Fuji apples
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom (or nutmeg)
1/2 Cup sugar
4 teaspoons cornstarch

Crust:
1 Cup butter, room temperature
1 Cup canola/corn oil blend
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 Cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder

Extras:
1 Cup walnut or pecan pieces.
4 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cardamom or nutmeg

1 For Filling: Quarter the apples and carefully remove the stem. Run the apple quarters through the slicing blade of a food processor. Note I did not core the apples.
2 Place apples, cinnamon, and cardamom or nutmeg in a large saucepan and microwave until apples are boiling and cooked. Stir occasionally.
3 Stir together 1/2 C sugar and cornstarch, then stir into apple mixture.
4 Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
5 Remove from heat and set filling aside to cool slightly.
6 For Crust: In a mixing bowl beat margarine or butter with an electric mixer on until softened, then add oil and beat until mixed.
7 Add about half of the flour and all of the sugar, egg, and baking powder.
8 Beat until thoroughly combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
9 Beat or stir in remaining flour.
10 Pat two-thirds of the crust mixture into an ungreased 9X13X2 in. pan.
11 Spread filling on top of the crust.
12 Sprinkle walnuts over filling.
13 Spread the remaining crust mixture on top of filling, use your fingers to break it into flakes as you drop it.
14 Mix sugar, cinnamon, cardamom or nutmeg and sprinkle over top crust.
15 Bake in a 375-degree oven about 30 minutes or until top is golden.
16 Cool.
17 Cut into bars.

When I served this I said that I had put an apple seed in the filling and that I had a prize for the finder. There were no takers.


Chocolate Banana SourCream Nut Coffee Cake
Cake:
1 cup Butter, softened
2 cups Granulated sugar
2 Eggs, beaten
1 tsp Vanilla
6 medium about 2 ½ cups Ripe bananas,
¼ cup cocoa
2 tsp Baking powder
2 tsp Baking soda
12 ounces Sour cream
3 cups All-purpose flour

Filling:
½ cup Brown sugar, firmly packed
1 tsp Cinnamon
8 ounces Semi-sweet chocolate squares, roughly chopped
1 cup pecan pieces

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a separate bowl

Cream together butter and sugar, using a mixer at medium speed.
Add eggs and beat until smooth
Add vanilla and bananas and beat until smooth
Add cocoa, baking powder and baking soda and beat until thoroughly mixed
Stir in flour

Pour half the batter into a greased 13 x 9-inch metal cake pan, spread well into corners
Sprinkle half of sugar-cinnamon mixture over batter in pan
Top with half of chocolate pieces and half pecans
Repeat layers
Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes
I baked two batches, both on the top rack. One had burnt edges, other not done!*
Crunchy Lemon Squares

Original Recipe By TINA DEJAGER (CCGB18A)

Crust:
2 Cups Quick Oats
2 Cups whole wheat flour
1 Cup coconut
1 Cup pecan pieces
1 Cup brown sugar
2 Teaspoon baking powder
1 Cup melted butter

Filling:
2 Cans sweetened nonfat condensed milk
1+ Cup lemon juice
1/3 Cup lemon zest

To prepare zest: Use a potato peeler to remove just the yellow skin from four lemons. Place on a sheet of plastic wrap on a cutting board. Chop the zest until fine and then chop some more. The juice from the four lemons was a bit more than one cup.

Preheat oven to 350.
In a bowl combine ingredients for crust. Stir to form a crumbly mixture. Set aside.

In a medium bowl combine condensed milk, lemon juice, and rind.

Pat HALF of crumb mixture in 10x15 inch pan.
Spread milk mixture on top and sprinkle with remaining crumbs.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
Cool thoroughly before serving.*


BOREAL FOREST CRANBERRY BROWNIES

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter or margarine
1 cup cocoa (I use van Houten's)
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup cranberries -- fresh or frozen (if frozen thaw or dough will be very stiff)
1/2 cup walnut pieces

1. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
2. Melt butter in a bowl in a microwave. Stir in cocoa. Add sugar, eggs, vanilla and almond extract and stir until well blended.
3. Stir dry ingredients into chocolate mixture. Add cranberries and nuts and mix just until blended.
4. Pour batter into a greased 9 x 13-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until it test done. Cool completely.
5. Ice when cooled with Chocolate Cranberry Icing

Recipe from: "Cranberries and Canada Geese"
CHOCOLATE CRANBERRY ICING
1/2 cup cranberries
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups confectioner's sugar
1 or 2 tablespoons milk as necessary to be spreadable

1. Microwave cranberries until they are soft. Mash.
2. Add butter and heat in microwave until melted.
3. Stir in cocoa and almond extract.
4. Add sugar; mix until well blended. If too thick add milk.


Cranberry-Orange Bars
2 Cups cranberries, roughly chopped
2 oranges
1/2 Cup raisins
1/4 Cup brown sugar
1/3 Cup butter
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 Cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder

In a food processor, grind the oranges (skin and all).
Combine the cranberries, oranges, raisins and brown sugar in a mixing bowl. Set aside.

Cream margarine until light and fluffy.
Add 1 egg at a time and beat well.
Blend in vanilla.
Gradually add the flour and baking powder to the creamed mixture.
Stir in the cranberry mixture.

Pour the batter into a greased 13x9-inch baking pan.
Bake in a 350 F oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until browned on top.
Cool in the pan on a wire rack and cut into 24 bars.

Original recipe from Web Source: http://www.kitchenrecipes.com
 
Back
Top