Stories With The "Big Twist" - Your Thoughts

RetroFan

Literotica Guru
Imagine the following:

You log into Literotica and check out the new stories in "Erotic Couplings". One of the new stories catches your eye, and you open it. The story is about a good-looking, happily married couple aged 40 named John and Jessica, who have known each other since childhood and dated through high school and college. They now have great careers, three kids, a nice house with a nice garden and a dog and cat; and despite being married for many years now none of the heat of their sex life has died down.

The story is extremely well-written and the characters are engaging and interesting. The romance gets you in without being sappy, and the back stories of the characters to when they were younger (for example when they got married and went on their honeymoon) are excellent. John and Jessica come to life in your mind's eye, and the sex scenes are brilliant. The couple play strip poker with each other; join the 'mile high club' when flying to a vacation in another state; John returns home one evening to find Jessica dressed in early 1990s clothes she wore when she was 18/19 promising a hot night in the bedroom; and when attending a 'look how much more money we have than you' type of house-warming party thrown by pretentious friends, John and Jessica sneak into one of the bedrooms for some 'afternoon delight'.

The story runs for 8 pages, a little longer than you are used to reading, but is so good you enjoy every single word of it and as you click on Page 8 to read the conclusion, your heart races with anticipation, and you have no doubt you will give it 5 stars and make it a favorite.

And then it happens. You find out that the events portrayed so well in the story didn't actually happen. John does exist, but he does not go home to his wonderful wife and family, his nice house in the suburbs with the cat and dog. None of these exist, and John goes home alone to his small apartment from his boring, dead-end office job. Jessica did exist, and she and John were indeed high school sweethearts who commenced college together, but she has been gone 20 years now, becoming sick with cancer while at college and dying at a young age. Jessica's only existence now is in photographs, home videos and memories, including those of John, who never got over her death and keeps a room as a shrine to his late girlfriend. He goes in there every evening to fantasize about what things might have been like had Jessica lived and they had married like they planned, these fantasies being the events portrayed in the story.

On one level, this story is infinitely better than some deluded fantasy written in pidgin English with no dialogue that stretches to a massive 752 words; yet at the same time it is a much bigger disappointment. In some genres such as crime fiction a twist is very good - how many times have you read or watched a murder mystery and when the murderer is revealed you say, "He seemed like a really nice guy," - but really huge plot twists, such as the dreaded 'it was all a dream' leave me cold.

What do you think of works of fiction that have these huge twists?

I have no problem with a twist is it is consistent with the story.While I have not used the "it was only a dream" model my only objection would be that most of what we scribble here is fantasy.

Some readers appreciate twists and even leave a comment such as this

"However your sparse but skillfully applied writing drew me into reading this story. And above all, I appreciate a humouresguely clever ending!"

I have no problem with a twist is it is consistent with the story.While I have not used the "it was only a dream" model my only objection would be that most of what we scribble here is fantasy.

Some readers appreciate twists and even leave a comment such as this

"However your sparse but skillfully applied writing drew me into reading this story. And above all, I appreciate a humouresguely clever ending!"

Plot twists are a great and well-respected literary device. Mystery writers rely on them and their readers love them. Roald Dahl perfected them in his "Tales of the Unexpected" -- but when you pick up a book with a title like that, you are kind of expecting the unexpected will happen. Script writers for Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, and Night Gallery used them brilliantly, but viewers went into those stories with the appropriate mind set, that they might be unpleasantly shocked. We love Game of Thrones, but call it "Don't Get Attached to Anyone" because Martin has made it abundantly clear he will kill off any character, sometimes in horrific ways, and no protagonist is untouchable. He says he does that as an author to make his stories more realistic -- real life is often unpredictable and unfair, and the good guy doesn't always win. The thought is that readers are more likely to get invested in a character if they don't have any illusions that no matter what happens, that character will survive and come out on top.

But if you are reading escapist erotica, a series of pleasant romantic and sexual encounters with likable characters, the reader is expecting and counting on a happy ending. I think that's Retrofan's complaint -- this plot twist wasn't humorous, or clever, or consistent with the story. It sounds like the story itself was all of that, and the twist at the end was a kick in the balls. The author took a reader who was invested in a story that was sexy, and romantic, and pleasant, with characters they cared about and had enjoyed through many well-written scenes, then threw a bucket of cold water on their reader on the last page. Ice cold water filled with eels, or something equally nasty.

Without reading the story or the author's other work, I almost wonder if the writer was experiencing their own personal regret for the road not taken, or "what could have been". That's another respected and well used literary device, but the reader should at least have some idea of what they are in for and not be expecting a happily ever after.

My most-read and lowest-rated stories (the same) have strong twists. I telegraphed that twist in (RIGHT) UNDER HIS EYES and got the usual LW reception. I did it as a weird twist in BIG BANANA and got reamed by folks expecting a sweet incest tale. Lesson: the twist must be consistent with both the story and the category.

Last edited:
Twists are great, but hard to do, and "Aha! It was all a dream / fantasy / desperate delusion of a drowning man!" is an especially difficult species to pull off without its seeming more than a bit cheap. Especially if there haven't been any hints to that point.

I'm assuming the OP is referencing an actual story -- I'm curious to see it now.

My most-read and lowest-rated stories (the same) have strong twists. I telegraphed that twist in (RIGHT) UNDER HIS EYES and got the usual LW reception. I did it as a weird twist in BIG BABANA and got reamed by folks expecting a sweet incest tale. Lesson: the twist must be consistent with both the story and the category.

I just read your revised version, Right Under His Eyes...shades of Chuck Palahniuk. Definitely well written, but I gravitate toward "feel good" stories, so not my usual fare. You did give the reader ample warning not to expect a shiny happy fluffy piece, though. I would have categorized it as Erotic Horror.

I like a clever twist that's consistent with the story and characters. The expectation of a twist is part of the fun in crime stories. An unexpected twist in an erotic story can also be fun, though it doesn't have to be a humorous twist.

I hate dream sequences in fiction. I really hate a twist that involves confusion over whether a dream is reality or not.

If I know a scene is a dream, it bores me because I know it wasn't real. If I don't know it is a dream, it pisses me off since I feel like I wasted my time reading something that wasn't real. Both situations are kind of strange since the whole freakin' story is not real.

In any event, I tend to skim or even skip over dream sequences. Nothing "real" actually happened in the dream and the dreamer in the story is going to analyze it anyway so whatever point the writer had in introducing the dream will be covered. I never miss a thing that way, and don't waste my time.

rj

A story that I posted here, some time back has a double twist. A budding film star is lost in a airplane crash at sea. She then appears back to a guy who knew her in school, for a 'Christmas Visit.' Or did she? She suddenly disappear\. leaving behind a small gold medal that she won for a film festival, with the promise that she contact the guy again/ Did it really happen? Well, the guy has the small gold medal.

I think stories with big, clever twists are great. I don't think of the "it was only a dream" twist as clever. Still, if the rest of the story was really good, I wouldn't downgrade more than a rating point for a lame twist.

Plot twists are a great and well-respected literary device. Mystery writers rely on them and their readers love them.
I would say there are limits on how much of a plot twist you can have even in mystery stories. There has to be some clues that point to the actual murder, preferably so neatly hidden that you didn't notice them. I view mysteries as a contest - can you find the clues the writer hid before the final reveal? If the solution comes too far out of left field, I get pissed off.

Roald Dahl perfected them in his "Tales of the Unexpected" -- but when you pick up a book with a title like that, you are kind of expecting the unexpected will happen. Script writers for Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, and Night Gallery used them brilliantly, but viewers went into those stories with the appropriate mind set, that they might be unpleasantly shocked.
Actually, those stories are all about setting up the final twist. The final twist is always foreshadowed, but still shocking enough to surprise us.

But if you are reading escapist erotica, a series of pleasant romantic and sexual encounters with likable characters, the reader is expecting and counting on a happy ending. I think that's Retrofan's complaint -- this plot twist wasn't humorous, or clever, or consistent with the story. It sounds like the story itself was all of that, and the twist at the end was a kick in the balls. The author took a reader who was invested in a story that was sexy, and romantic, and pleasant, with characters they cared about and had enjoyed through many well-written scenes, then threw a bucket of cold water on their reader on the last page. Ice cold water filled with eels, or something equally nasty.
If the story was as described, I would agree with this.

When I read stories on Lit, the only thing I want twisted is a nipple.

Seriously though, if it is done well, I like it, if it comes off as cheap or unneeded, I don't like it. The entire 'it was just a dream' scenario I've never really cared for, but it's not going to ruin a story, on the other hand, if your entire story was great and you use the last page in attempt to drive me into depression, why bother reading another one of your stories again? I probably would, but not right away, 'Take that you sick twisted author! Ruining my day with your sadistic emotional abuse.'

Unexpected twists can be very effective, with the caveat of "if it's done right." Of course, no one but the reader can decide the criteria for how well a twist is handled. The one described in the OP sounds like something I would consider clever, but I can see how it may upset or annoy other readers. But then, that's my twisted imagination. I like to be surprised and more than that, I like to surprise readers with my own stories.

I've done one story where the main character was dreaming...but he really wasn't. It was a fantasy story in the non-human category; everything transpired just as described, but she decided in the end he wasn't really ready to handle what had happened and who she was, so she sort of "rolled back the tape" to begin their scene again. It was really more that his memory was erased (she had the power to do that as a non-human) but I left the interpretation up to the reader. None of the commenters complained, and it's one of my highest rated stories, so I guess it came off okay. :)

I've not used any only-a-dream tricks -- most of my players don't seem to dream much -- and I see a certain incongruity in critiques of such. A story is told. Then we find that it never "really happened". Hello? It's a STORY. It never really happened ANYWAY. The author made it up, y'know, told LIES. Why would readers react negatively? Because they WANT the fictional story to be true, real, valid. The dream-trick fucks with hopes and expectations. And yes, it's also a cheap, cheezy cop-out, a too-easy way to escape from the corners we've painted ourselves into. The simplest way to destroy worlds and commit mass genocide -- extinguish their existence, wipe'em away. Ha ha, fooled you! :(

Well, it was in the non-human category so that's an indication that the story is pure fantasy anyway. And I couldn't remember the title, but I just looked and it's "Dream Girl"...so I guess that set the expectation bar for the readers. LOL :cattail:

Why would readers react negatively? Because they WANT the fictional story to be true, real, valid. The dream-trick fucks with hopes and expectations.

I don't know about wanting the fictional story to be true -- would anyone really want to live in any part of the world of, say, A Song of Ice and Fire? -- but a fiction is certainly more satisfying if the author keeps cheats to a minimum.

I don't know about wanting the fictional story to be true -- would anyone really want to live in any part of the world of, say, A Song of Ice and Fire? -- but a fiction is certainly more satisfying if the author keeps cheats to a minimum.
Storytelling, whether fact or F/SF or whatever, is worldbuilding. Writerrs try to build worlds inside readers' heads. A reporter or 'straight' fictionalist is building a model of this world (hopefully); fabulist or SciFi types may build other worlds. In any case, that written-of world takes on an aspect of reality in the reader's consciousness. And the nasty It's All-A-Dream trick punctures that balloon. Heads explode. Not nice.

I feel the "it was all a dream" trope/cliche is a cop-out more than a plot device.

I love writing stories with an unexpected ending.

I'm particularly proud of the "big twist" in this: Tango with a Vampire.

And for your musical enjoyment, a little number from Big Twist.

A :kiss: from the good little witch.

I feel the "it was all a dream" trope/cliche is a cop-out more than a plot device.

So do I, for the most part, but there are exceptions.

I love writing stories with an unexpected ending.

As do I.

I'm particularly proud of the "big twist" in this: Tango with a Vampire.

I'm sure I've mentioned this at least a couple times before, but this particular story of yours is a perfect example of turning a reader's expectations on its head.

And for your musical enjoyment, a little number from Big Twist.

A :kiss: from the good little witch.

Gonna have to listen to that later. :kiss: back at'cha.

Imagine the following:

You log into Literotica and check out the new stories in "Erotic Couplings". One of the new stories catches your eye, and you open it. The story is about a good-looking, happily married couple aged 40 named John and Jessica, who have known each other since childhood and dated through high school and college. They now have great careers, three kids, a nice house with a nice garden and a dog and cat; and despite being married for many years now none of the heat of their sex life has died down.

The story is extremely well-written and the characters are engaging and interesting. The romance gets you in without being sappy, and the back stories of the characters to when they were younger (for example when they got married and went on their honeymoon) are excellent. John and Jessica come to life in your mind's eye, and the sex scenes are brilliant. The couple play strip poker with each other; join the 'mile high club' when flying to a vacation in another state; John returns home one evening to find Jessica dressed in early 1990s clothes she wore when she was 18/19 promising a hot night in the bedroom; and when attending a 'look how much more money we have than you' type of house-warming party thrown by pretentious friends, John and Jessica sneak into one of the bedrooms for some 'afternoon delight'.

The story runs for 8 pages, a little longer than you are used to reading, but is so good you enjoy every single word of it and as you click on Page 8 to read the conclusion, your heart races with anticipation, and you have no doubt you will give it 5 stars and make it a favorite.

And then it happens. You find out that the events portrayed so well in the story didn't actually happen. John does exist, but he does not go home to his wonderful wife and family, his nice house in the suburbs with the cat and dog. None of these exist, and John goes home alone to his small apartment from his boring, dead-end office job. Jessica did exist, and she and John were indeed high school sweethearts who commenced college together, but she has been gone 20 years now, becoming sick with cancer while at college and dying at a young age. Jessica's only existence now is in photographs, home videos and memories, including those of John, who never got over her death and keeps a room as a shrine to his late girlfriend. He goes in there every evening to fantasize about what things might have been like had Jessica lived and they had married like they planned, these fantasies being the events portrayed in the story.

On one level, this story is infinitely better than some deluded fantasy written in pidgin English with no dialogue that stretches to a massive 752 words; yet at the same time it is a much bigger disappointment. In some genres such as crime fiction a twist is very good - how many times have you read or watched a murder mystery and when the murderer is revealed you say, "He seemed like a really nice guy," - but really huge plot twists, such as the dreaded 'it was all a dream' leave me cold.

What do you think of works of fiction that have these huge twists?

I personally would like to read this story (if it exists)..

I personally would like to read this story (if it exists)..

The story is a hypothetical one; it doesn't exist, not written by me or any other authors.

Given the number of stories on this website, I suppose it is possible that something similar has been posted over the years, but I haven't seen such a story.

Back