The Long Road Home (closed)

"Sure do..." Ian answered quietly, taking another puff from the pipe. "There's blood in th' stars... but also hope, an' a new star in th' east. Whatever's comin'... there's a chance fer good things, but no' without pain t'get there."

He pulled his pipe away and, as Lunasians like himself did, he motioned a crescent down the side of his face, touched his hand over his heart, and bowed his head with his forehead set to his hand. She'd seen him do it many times after speaking of his long-passed mother. She'd died when he was only seventeen. It was a way of prayer for her.
 
Sarah watching him pray after he read the stars and she felt a little touch of envy but also a little bit of awe that he believed in something so fiercely. She reached over and took his free hand, squeezing it as she had the night his mother had died.

"The night that Brogan chose Cassie I went looking for you." She said softly. "I wanted to know what the stars said. But you were gone and no one had known where you were. My heart hurt so much and I made the most foolish mistake of my life by going to that tavern."
 
Ian turned his eyes to her own in the dark, and he spoke softly, "I was lost in th' woods that night... I don' know what 'appened, but I got turned 'round and decided t'wait fer morning t'find m'way back... But I remember what th'stars said that night..." He lifted her hand and kissed it lightly. "There was pain an' rage... but I remember there was a new star tha' night too... the only one I'd e'er seen up until t'night... I took it as a sign, but when I tried t'find you when I got back, y'wanted nothin' t'do with me."
 
"I didn't think I was worth anything to you then." Sarah admitted softly. "And seeing my sister so happy with the man I was suppose to marry sucked the very soul from my body."

Sarah pulled herself into his lap, her head leaning against his shoulder. "I should have taken the little life that you offered. I was too foolish and jealous to see what you offered."
 
Ian laid his head against her own, setting the pipe aside along the stone balustrade he was settled on. His strong, farm-built-up arms wrapped around her waist and he fell still. Then he spoke in his rugged voice, "Tha' offer's still up, y'know... Always 'as been." He laid a kiss at the top of her head. "I've always been ready t'do anythin' t'make you happy..."
 
Sarah lifted her head and looked at him for a moment in the moonlight. She would never figure out why Ian wanted her so much or why he loved her. She wasn't sure that she loved him, but she couldn't help it as she leaned forward and pressed her lips against his, whimpering softly as she enjoyed her first kiss with him in so long.
 
Ian was one hell of a kisser, that was a memory that came back immediately. Despite being surprised, he returned her kiss with a softness, but also a fire that she'd not seen of him since she broke his heart. He'd once been a simple but very intense and passionate man.
 
Sarah melted into Ian's arms, whimpering as he reminded her of what she had missed all those years. His lips were merciless and she swore she was about to drown. She had to push him away, panting as their lips parted and she stared at him in the moonlight.

She said nothing as she stood from his lap and turned to enter the keep again, her swollen lips still tingling as the door closed behind her. Leaning against the wooden surface, she touched her lips and slowly smiled, the first true smile that she'd had in a long time.
 
Ian watched her go in silence, and he smiled to himself slowly. Picking up his pipe again he relit it and sat back against the wall, looking to the new star in the east with a new hope in his head for Sarah's happiness... Maybe even his own.
 
Sarah felt giddy as she pushed herself away from the wall and practically skipped down the hall. She wasn't vigilant and it was probably the reason that she missed the shadow that fell in behind her. There was no warning but a heavy arm about her throat which jerked her back against a broad chest and a flash of silver in the moonlight as a knife plunged towards her body.

This can't be how it ends, she thought to herself as pain bloomed in her belly as the knife slid through her skin. She grunted, gasping in pain as the knife was jerked free and poised to strike again. She clawed at the arm holding her, ripping it to shreds as the knife plunged again against her side.

It was then that she screamed in pain, the sound echoing down the hall.
 
Three faces appeared to her in the hall: Bernard, Ian, and Shia. Ian was fastest, prying Sarah from the man's arm, and the instant she was out of the way, Shia struck the man in a bone-cracking tackle and a vicious, monstrous snarl. His fangs and claws ripped into the man's shoulder and sides, and laid him flat on his back unconscious and bleeding profusely. Shia turned, blood running down his chest from where the knife had swiped his collarbone. "Sarah...?" He grunted.

"It's gonna be okay, love," Ian whispered, all outside sound except Sarah's breathing leaving his ears. He lowered her slowly down to the floor, letting her lean against him as Bernard directed guards to take the stranger away and called for healers.
 
Time blurred between the second stabbing and when she was in Ian's arms. She had no idea how she had ended up on the floor, bleeding heavily from her belly and her side. It hurt intensely and as her blood left her body she felt incredibly weak, but it was what she deserved.

"I deserved this." She whispered, looking up a Ian. "For feeling happy, I deserved this."

In the midst of the commotion she heard a woman scream and knew her mother had been told what was happening. She shook her head, her eyes turning towards Shia. "Don't let them see. Please keep Mummy and Da away."
 
Shia hurried off to tend to the lord and lady of the keep, and Ian cradled Sarah close. "Y'deserve t'be happy," he whispered. "An' I'm gonna make you happy." The healers came, but Ian wouldn't let them take her in such a rush. He picked her up as carefully as he could, and he brought her to lay in the nearest room which happened to be his own. He remained at her side, holding her hand as Vincenzo came and took control of the situation. Halfway through, he left Sarah to the others and hurried to go tend to, most likely, her mother.
 
Sarah faded in and out. The hand that she held changed from Ian to Shia and then no one in the blink I an eye. She kept the pain to herself, biting back the screams that wanted to erupt. She clenched her fist against the sheets beneath her, biting her lip as Vincenzo worked to save her life.
 
Finally, when everything quieted down, Sarah lay in a fresh, simple nightshirt that was easy to move out of the way when needed, her midsection wrapped with bandages. Ian was knelt at her bedside, holding her hand and resting his head against it. Silently, he prayed for her, for someone to forgive her and let her be. She'd already suffered enough with her own guilt. It had been worse to let her live with her sins than to execute her for them, though Brogan had never meant for that to be so.

Ian was a believer in Gods and whatnot, but never had he put his faith so much in them to help. Never had he hoped so hard that they would.
 
Sarah drifted in a fitful sleep. She was restless from the herbs that Vincenzo had given her to help her sleep. She knew that Ian was there, holding her hand tightly and she squeezed his fingers to let him know that she was alright. Her eyes slowly opened and she turned her head on the pillow, licking her dry lips as she stared at him for a long moment.

"I guess I'm made of stronger stuff then I thought." She said softly.
 
Ian lifted his head as she squeezed his hand, and she could see tears running down his face. He quickly wiped them away and kissed her hand lightly. "Y'scared th'hell out o' me, lass..." he muttered softly. "Y'can't kiss a man an' then do somethin' like that to 'im." It was a gentle tease trying to make light of the situation.
 
Sarah watched him for a long moment, not saying a word as he pressed a kiss to her hand. She would have never thought that she would ever see the look of sadness in his eyes. It brought a little bit of hope to her otherwise gloomy life.

"What happened to the man who did this?" She asked softly, squeezing his hand gently again.
 
"Shia nearly killed him. I 'aven't seen him since the guards took 'im away, but I think he's still alive. Lord Stephen's havin' the guard captain question him..." But something seemed off about him, like something else was bothering him.
 
"What's wrong?" Sarah asked as that look came over Ian's face. "Don't hide something from me. Tell me what's wrong."
 
"Your Ma didn't take the news well, but your Da least of all... Somethin's off about 'im ever since 'e heard th'news o' what happened. Vincenzo tried t'do somethin' about it, but Stephen won' talk t'anyone or let 'em get near. It's not like 'im. I think it might be 'is heart, I saw 'im holdin' 'is left arm. He's finally settled down, though, an' Vincenzo's forcin' 'im t'sit still."
 
Sarah listened quietly as Ian broke the news to her. She was quiet for another moment longer before she released his hand and threw back the covers, gritting her teeth as she muscled her way out of the bed. Taking a moment to catch her breath, she pushed herself to her feet, intent on seeing her father.
 
Ian was shocked for a moment, but then rose to hold her back. "Whoa, whoa. No, you ain' leavin' in this condition." He was plenty strong enough to hold her back, but he was trying to be gentle as possible. He was terrified she might begin bleeding again. If she lost much more blood, Vincenzo wouldn't be able to do a single thing for her and Ian would have to watch her die. That was one thing Ian would never let Sarah do to him.
 
Sarah was panting as she stood on her feet, looking at Ian as he held her back. She shook her head, ready to protest as he insisted that she couldn't go. She would most definitely prove him wrong.

"If you don't let me go, I'll scream loud enough to wake the keep." She threatened, her face already turning pasty pale as sweat beaded on her brow.
 
Ian looked at her with a pleading expression, but knowing he could never win against her, he sighed. "On one condition..." With that, he scooped her up off her feet and carried her away to the library where Stephen was resting.
 
Back
Top