Of the Fells

"It's a lovely thought, Val. An' I'd like t'see it happen. But fer now, for th'sake of me stayin' alive an' fer th'sake of gettin' t'know each other better, we best hold off. Kitty'd bloody kill me if I married ya so fast."

As they came to a halt in a small village that night, Theo got them a small but private room at the tavern's inn and stalls in the local stable for their horses. Dinner was included in the price of the room so they found themselves sitting in the tavern to eat while a bard on the other end of the room played a song on his fiddle to the regulars.
 
"I think a year is a good amount of time to wait." Valentina said as they ate their roasted meat. "It would give us time to get to know one another and see if this is really what we want. You might decide that you can't be with someone who works so much."

She had seen many healers who ended their marriages because of that. Her own parents had been kept away from each other for so long because of her father's profession. It was a hard life and it took a special bond between one another to keep it going.
 
"If I'm gonna be helpin' you, it migh' not be so bad. But o' course I intend t'actually make a job fer myself... somehow. I wanted t'ask you, actually, if ye'd teach me a bit more about herbs an' whatnot. I'm good with my hands, an' though I don't consider myself stupid, I'm no great thinker. I kept a small farm in th'Fells an' worked as a lumberjack in th'winter, so I guess brawn's all I've really got fer skill."
 
"I can teach you whatever you want about them, but Inverness needs someone that can retrieve them. Perhaps you should talk to Kreston about walking the woods and identifying what we have around the city." She murmured, knowing that Theo was use to hard work no matter what.
 
"So yer sayin' I should become an herbalist, aye?" Theo smiled. "Sounds like somethin' I could do... farmin' herbs is all it is." With his knowledge of raising crops, it seemed viable.

The bard struck up a Scottish waltz just about then, and Theo rose, offering a hand to Selena. "Care to dance, lass?"
 
Valentina looked at the hand that was offered and then back up to Theo's eyes. "I can't dance." She murmured softly, even as she slipped her hand into his own to allow him the chance to pull her out onto the dance floor.
 
"Follow me," he encouraged her. When he had her out in the middle of the tavern floor, he brought her hand to his shoulder and his own to her waist while the other two clasped together. Murming soft instructions, he taught her the basic box-step in minutes.
 
Valentina was a quick student, smiling up at Theo as he danced with her in the most basic of motions. She could barely hear the music or the beat, but in his hands she felt like the most graceful creature that had ever lived.
 
Theo lost track of how long they danced, content in forgetting the world and enjoying his time with Valentina. It was a bit late before they retired to their room and Theo sat down on the edge of the bed with a glad sigh. He was with Valentina and heading north to his homeland. He couldn't have been happier.
 
Valentina basked in Theo's joy as they retired to their room in the inn. She was laying on the bed, a soft sigh on her lips as she looked up at the man that made her so happy.

"I need to make sure to make you smile like that every single day we're together." She murmured softly.
 
"All y'have to do is show up," Theo laid back, letting his head rest beside hers. "I 'aven't felt this... light, in a long time." He took her hand and kissed it lightly, turning his head to meet her eyes. "Thank ya, lass."
 
Valentina wrapped her arm around his strong chest and gave him a wide smile. "Thank you for loving me without changing me completely. It means a lot to me, Theo. You'll never know how much exactly."
 
"Why in th'world would I want t'change you?" Theo murmured, moving closer to steal a kiss. "Yer interesting, t'say th'very least."
 
"Because some men want a woman that is meek and timid. They can't handle the idea that she works for a living or that she would be gone so often." Valentina murmured, returning his kiss with a gentle affection. "You aren't like them. You love me completely."
 
"Sure do," Theo turned onto his side to face her. "So what would y'like t'do once we get where we're goin'?" There would be plenty to see and study as the northern regions could differ so greatly from Inverness and the southern regions that Valentina was familiar with around Glasgow and Edinburgh.
 
"I suppose I'll let you choose what we do." Valentina said as she snuggled into Theo's side. "I have no idea what we're about to see, let alone where we're going. Just show me your favorite places and I'll be happy."
 
"I think I'll improvise," Theo smiled and relaxed. After a full day of riding, he was tired and ready to sleep. Being beside Valentina made it all the easier to find peaceful rest.
 
"I'll look forward to whatever you come up with, mi amore." She murmured, kissing his cheek as he looked at her with a gaze that told her how tired he was. "Close your eyes and sleep. It'll be another long day tomorrow."
 
It was about noon a few days later that they finally arrived in Wick, finding it well-recovered after the war and much more lighthearted. Theo took Valentina to the docks to find a ferry to Kent Island, and they managed to just catch a small ship heading to the island with a load of supplies. With their horses secured in the hold, they took the two-hour ride across to Kent and when they arrived, Valentina could immediately see why Theo loved the fells. The great rolling hills towered like small mountains to the north of the village port they'd arrived in, and were edged to the east with a vast forest of some of the largest trees Valentina had ever seen.

When Theo and Valentina brought their horses down the gangplank from the ship, they heard "Theo!" He turned to see who was calling, but his smile told Valentina he knew the voice. A young woman, probably fourteen, came racing down the dock and into Theo's arms with a bright laugh. Theo wrapped her up in a tight embrace and lifted her up with a deep chuckle.

"Mae, y'sweet little lass. No' so little anymore, aye?" He set her down after she kissed his cheek, and Valentina could see the family resemblance in their black hair and blue-almost-violet eyes. "Val, this is my cousin Mae," Theo looked to his love. The girl happily greeted Valentina. "An' Mae, this is Valentina."
 
The fells were stunning from what Valentina could see from the docks. It was much different from even the highlands around Inverness. She could definitely see why Theo had fallen so in love with his homelands.

As they got off the ferry and got their horses together, Theo was nearly tackled by a young woman who was about 14. The two seemed incredibly excited to see one another. She smiled as Theo and the girl spoke and then she was introduced to the woman.

"Mae, it's very nice to meet you." Valentina said softly, greeting the woman in her soft spoken manner.
 
Mae looked between the two with a slight smirk, "So is this...?"

"Yeah, but don' go gettin' crazy about it," Theo warned her with a smile. "We're here t'enjoy ourselves, see the island an' whatnot."

"Oh, don't worry, I'll leave you two be. I was just curious." Mae stood on her toes to kiss his cheek. "Come by for dinner some night. Ma misses you and she'll want to know you found someone." She stepped back then. "Lovely to meet you, Valentina. See you two later, I have a lot of work to do." As she turned on her heel and hurried off, she waved back to them.

"Hm... Haven't seen Aunt Holly since she visited me in Wick las' year," Theo thought aloud. "I was even closer t'her when I was little than I was t' my siblings. Probably 'cause she fed into my adventurous spirit as a lad."
 
"Well, we have enough time to see all of your family." Valentina said with a smile as she finished saddling Raul and pulled herself up into the seat. "And then you can show me all the sights that you want."
 
"I warn you- they're nosy," Theo smiled as he climbed up into his own saddle. "My aunt decided I was 'er responsibility, so she'll drill ya like yer father did t' me if not worse." With their horses ready to go, he led her off into the small port town where a few surprised people greeted Theo from afar and he mused to Valentina that nothing had changed at all. She could see a few old, charred buildings off on the north edge probably from the raid that had taken Theo away, but it seemed they were going to be rebuilt by the new foundations laid around them and covered carts of supplies sitting nearby.
 
"Trust me, Theo. A nosy family is not going to scare me away." Valentina said with a smile as they rode through the town. "They can't possibly be worse than my Ma and my brothers. They want to know everything about what goes on in my life."

She was in awe of the city around her, but she knew that sooner or later, they would come upon something that might make Theo upset. He had lost so much in this place and they had returned to pay homage to all of that. She hoped that the decision was the correct one.
 
To the opposite end of town where the crop fields began and the houses became few and farther between, Theo stopped them at a little house that seemed entirely uninspiring except for the front door with was painted a striking and handsome deep green with a golden head of wheat sent into it as an emblem. It set the house apart from the rest and gave it charm. Out front of the house stood a fairly average sort of woman with her long hair tied back as she hung up clothes on a line. It was finally warm enough outside for wet clothes to dry rather than freeze, even if there was still a thin blanket of snow on the ground.

"Holly!" Theo called, and the woman nearly dropped her clothes pins when she saw him.

"Theobald Ruari Irons!" Theo flinched at his own full name as he dismounted and the woman stormed out from her yard straight toward him. "How bloody dare ya show up 'ere, no letters, no 'Hi, auntie, I'm alive' after tha' trouble in Wick! I should tan yer hide!"

"I missed you too, love," Theo gave her one of his gentle smiles and her angry facade failed immediately to a rueful smile and tears.

"You brute," she murmured, gladly stepping into his embrace and hugging him like he was her own child. It wasn't unlike Durban's homecoming from Kitty when he'd suddenly shown up out of the blue after only three letters in his years away from home and no warning that he'd return.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top