One Man's Trash is Another Man's....

SEVERUSMAX

Benevolent Master
Joined
Apr 1, 2004
Posts
28,995
.....treasure?

Think of the possibilities just from that statement.

1. Homely, "plain jane" women, who are often very good lovers, if the men would give them a chance. Maybe a wife whose husband traded her in for a new "trophy" wife.
2. Gender flip that to make it ugly or unattractive men, maybe an older man whose wife just ditched him for a younger guy (or a richer one).
3. A womanizer whose whole method is to chase women shunned by other men. It works like a charm, every time.
4. A man dumped by his wife for being too wimpy or effeminate, only to find himself chased by another man, perhaps a bear in search of a nice pretty boy or twink.
5. A plump woman who is used to rejection by men, but she meets a "chubby chaser" type and they really hit it off.
6. A single or divorced or widowed mom who is often turned down by men not wanting to be stepfathers, only to find a guy who loves the MILF type.
7. An older woman, of course. Cougar theme there. Probably with a significantly younger man.
8. A slut in a judgmental society that shuns them. A man who doesn't mind sluts at all and actually finds them more appealing than most women.

Yeah, quite a few possibilities. Porn stars, prostitutes, etc. are other examples. Also, women of another race, living in a heavily racist community, where a white guy finds them rather attractive and has to deal with the scorn of his neighbors for doing so.

Oh, and trans women, because unfortunately, society still judges men for dating them. A guy who happily and openly dates a trans woman, and basically tells those who don't get it that they can go to hell.

I've already done one story with this sort of theme.....The Real Thing, where a guy goes for an intersexed woman (what some call a hermaphrodite).
 
Oh, and skanky/punky/Eurotrash women are another possibility, too.
 
Remember a long-ago song?

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife...
"Hey man, your wife is UG-lee!"
"Yeah, but she sure can cook! "

Feels like the same paradigm. The merely unattractive are easy and likely desperate.
 
Or simply a difference of taste. A lot of women that other men deem unattractive have their own appeal to me.
 
The movie "He's Just Not That Into You", unmemorable in so many ways, had one takeaway that should be engraved in everyone's forebrain: You are the rule, not the exception. (Not true in all cases, obviously, but a good rule of thumb for most of us.)

The sad part is that, if "nobody else much wants" them, chances are good that neither will you. You can consciously set out to pursue the "unattractive", for whatever reason. You can deliberately adopt that strategy and diligently seek them out. But left to your body's and mind's own devices you most likely wouldn't notice them walking down the street. They just wouldn't register on your radar.

But in the interests of getting laid, ugly or fat or flawed people are golden. It's a target-rich environment. And maybe that's enough for some--or even most--of us.

I'm not cynical, just experienced.
 
Well, there is homely and there is not having generalized appeal....of course, society is shifting a bit. What was old is new again, such as women with curves. They seem to be back. So a man who wants a slender girl with the boyish hips would be the exception rather than the rule, perhaps. Ten years ago, that was probably the opposite case. At least, that was the impression I got.

Evolutionarily, curves make more sense, but thin was still in. As a pansexual guy, I didn't really give a hoot either way. Not picky at all. Plump, slim, both are fine with me.
 
Like all things, "attractiveness" follows a bell curve.

On the one hand, the outliers are those who are attractive to practically everyone.
Oh the other hand the outliers are those who are unattractive to practically everyone.
Most of us fall in the middle somewhere: attractive to some, unattractive to others, maybe even most.

So let's say we write stories about someone looking for partners on the left side of the curve, the unattractive-to-most side. Is he/she in fact attracted to such persons, or is he/she actually attracted to those on the other side of the curve and only hunting on this side of the curve because he/she thinks it'll be easier to gather orgasms over here?

An interesting premise, which can be played several different ways. I like it.
 
So let's say we write stories about someone looking for partners on the left side of the curve, the unattractive-to-most side. Is he/she in fact [1] attracted to such persons, or is he/she actually [2] attracted to those on the other side of the curve and only hunting on this side of the curve because he/she thinks it'll be easier to gather orgasms over here?
I think you're assuming the player is somewhere near mid-curve, maybe trending a bit on the left side. If [1] then the player can be shown as a bit sweetly pervy. If [2] then they are a bit scuzzy and manipulative, or insecure and desperate, or a lazy underachiever, or just a horndoggy who'll fuck anything.

I could see Sub-Optimal Ophelia having great success with shy sloppy gamer geeks, and Sub-Dude Dillon scoring with low-self-esteem gals with eating disorders. I *have* seen write-ups of slick-looking young folks targeting older, sloppier Sugar Daddies/Mamas for sex and money. Imagine that.

Standard storyline has the manipulator fall in love with a plain target. Twist has the target discover the player's past phony games and run a turnaround. Scooby-Doo sequence has a gang of past targets converging on the player.
 
I think you're assuming the player is somewhere near mid-curve, maybe trending a bit on the left side.
Well, if he/she were an outlier on the right side of the curve, he/she would have everyone falling all over them. Though Ophilia and/or Dillon might have a thing where he/she is more attracted to personality than looks. (Hey, don't laugh--it could happen!)

Standard storyline has the manipulator fall in love with a plain target. Twist has the target discover the player's past phony games and run a turnaround. Scooby-Doo sequence has a gang of past targets converging on the player.

Unrepentant twist: he/she gets bored with partner and dumps them, breaking their heart ("I thought you loved me!"). He/she takes up the hunt again, unrepentant. It would never fly in Loving Wives, of course...
 
Well, if he/she were an outlier on the right side of the curve, he/she would have everyone falling all over them. Though Ophilia and/or Dillon might have a thing where he/she is more attracted to personality than looks. (Hey, don't laugh--it could happen!)
Happens all the time, whenever plain-but-nice outscores hot-but-unbearable.

Unrepentant twist: he/she gets bored with partner and dumps them, breaking their heart ("I thought you loved me!"). He/she takes up the hunt again, unrepentant. It would never fly in Loving Wives, of course...
It will if their past catches up with them and goes all BtB. Better yet, they are caught but seemingly escape the revenge -- and then Divine Justice drops a big rock onto them, splat. That Kosmic-Karma thang worked well in Prickly Pairs.
 
George Carlin said: "I've never fucked a 10. But one night, I fucked five 2s. I think that should count for something!"
 
One person's trash indeed. This trope is ripe for my favorite type of story and my specialty - good old-fashioned revenge. A woman cheats on her boyfriend, a man who doesn't see his own sense of self-worth because of her. Through some fortuitous circumstances, he meets a woman who's a significant upgrade from his now-ex, exposes the ex for being a slut, and releases the awesome and makes his new girlfriend a very happy woman.
 
One person's trash indeed. This trope is ripe for my favorite type of story and my specialty - good old-fashioned revenge. A woman cheats on her boyfriend, a man who doesn't see his own sense of self-worth because of her. Through some fortuitous circumstances, he meets a woman who's a significant upgrade from his now-ex, exposes the ex for being a slut, and releases the awesome and makes his new girlfriend a very happy woman.
I've read a few LW tales like this, where flighty SO trades up for a flashy grasshopper whilst the stick-in-the-bud ant toils away, builds great success, yada yada. Meanwhile grasshopper burns out and ex-SO tanks out. Moral: Living well is the best revenge. Criticisms will be on the order of, Dude should have gone all BtB on her!
 
Moral: Living well is the best revenge.

That's about how my stories go - bitchy ex moves on, gets exposed, narrator finds a much better partner and lives extremely well while the bitchy ex gets a sorry fate that is well-earned. Usually bonus points for the bitchy ex trying to keep the narrator down.

Criticisms will be on the order of, Dude should have gone all BtB on her!

That's LW for you from what I've heard - the Mos Eisley Spaceport of Lit.
 
That's LW for you from what I've heard - the Mos Eisley Spaceport of Lit.
LW grabs eyeballs and responses -- that's why I love it. Many comments are vicious -- I am amused, not fearful. My LW stories' votes range from the low 2s to the high 4s. Keep a thick skin and LW can be rewarding.
 
Back
Top