Do you have a following of loyal readers

I didn't use to, but after having read some of the other writers opinions on the subject I have started doing it sometime.

Same here. I was bad about it for years. I submit in bunches, then disappear for a year at a time. Now I try to answer the emails at least a couple of times a week. A third of them are still from anonymous, so those are pretty easy to respond to.

3 Words: The Perfect Game

He is something else, isn't he? ;)

And yes, I needed another post to agree.

TxTT, you have probably seen this plenty of times, but this is the story I've used to introduce others to this site.

No I'm not suckin up, just honest praise. Thanks dude.

I found that one series seemed to play off the other in getting 'fans'/readers. Those who read novels/novellas and liked Blood of the Clans, checked out what else I had and began reading that as well, even though they are completely different in scope. I believe the opposite is true of Redwood Nine and that it brings new readers to my other series.

N&N is certainly the broadest category, basically anything is possible there. That's for me the fun of reading there, the surprise you're going to get. The only thing you'll never get there (and that's generally a good thing for me) is the "quick stroker".

So I'm not too surprised that readers from N&N easily fan out over many different categories. The N&N category is also one of the least read on Lit, and one that on average attracts the highest scores for stories.

When readers e-mail you (positive) private feedback, do you reply?

And, though I have only attempted stand-alone short stories at this point, do readers prefer multi-part stories? It seems like a lot of the top scores reflect that.

First answer Yes always (unless it is anonymous) To me it's only polite. If someone walked up to you in the street and said "I really like your work" I'm sure you would say thank you.

Dividing stories into multiple parts is a tricky one. Doing it does give you more exposure, the name of your story appears on the new list more often. Seeing part 2 might drive people to read part 1. On the other hand seeing part 2 might make you think "It's not worth looking at that, I haven't read the first part. I tend to fight shy of starting multi-part stories, with lit's system the delivery can be erratic. There are also a number that never get finished because the writer started publishing before he/she had it all written and then runs out of ideas.

I think of series in tv terms, and I was around in the 50s when movie serials were coming to an end. The form is simple, leave the end of each episode up in the air.

I cannot tell you how much I have laughed over farts in the last week. I spend most of my life telling my kids that potty talk is disgusting, but I have giggled until the tears rolled down my face. (And hubby made baked beans for dinner. As my 8 y/o said, "It's fartamania out here!")

Potty Humour? Try my poem:

http://www.literotica.com/p/the-garderobe

It's probably aimed at 8 year olds. :D

For those who don't know, a garderobe is a toilet built into the wall of a castle. The user squats or pees over a hole and everything runs down a shaft that exits outside the castle. The smell used to deter moths, so the passage leading to the garderobe was used to store expensive clothing, and because they were only provided for the private apartments for the more important people, sometimes cash and valuables too.

The word means "Guard robe" - look after clothes. "Wardrobe" is the same idea. From the private sense of the garderobe/wardrobe England got the 'Privy (= Private) Council' a secret set of advisors to the Monarch. Of course 'Privy' also means a toilet.

I will read that when the kids aren't around. And when I've had a glass of wine.

Potty Humour? Try my poem:

http://www.literotica.com/p/the-garderobe

It's probably aimed at 8 year olds. :D

For those who don't know, a garderobe is a toilet built into the wall of a castle. The user squats or pees over a hole and everything runs down a shaft that exits outside the castle. The smell used to deter moths, so the passage leading to the garderobe was used to store expensive clothing, and because they were only provided for the private apartments for the more important people, sometimes cash and valuables too.

The word means "Guard robe" - look after clothes. "Wardrobe" is the same idea. From the private sense of the garderobe/wardrobe England got the 'Privy (= Private) Council' a secret set of advisors to the Monarch. Of course 'Privy' also means a toilet.

David Mamet says we're either doing communion with readers or doing McDonalds. He says communion is what we oughta be doing. The more I think of it, the more I think he's right, if loyal, enthusiastic fans are what you want. I grope in the dark trying to find the method to the madness of views.

David Mamet says we're either doing communion with readers or doing McDonalds. He says communion is what we oughta be doing. The more I think of it, the more I think he's right, if loyal, enthusiastic fans are what you want. I grope in the dark trying to find the method to the madness of views.

Views are real simple. Someone clicks on the link, period. End of story.

We let you hang out here cuz youre a genius....or a know it all,,,or something.

You asked a question and I answered it. A view is not a read, it's not a sale as a certain nut thinks, it means someone or something clicked the link. Nothing more, nothing less. There is not much to figure out.

You asked a question and I answered it. A view is not a read, it's not a sale as a certain nut thinks, it means someone or something clicked the link. Nothing more, nothing less. There is not much to figure out.

Back when you went to school, you spent all your time in the shower blowing the phys ed coach, didn't yuh?

Back when you went to school, you spent all your time in the shower blowing the phys ed coach, didn't yuh?

Nope, I spent my time cutting the English teachers grass so I could pass. I sometimes even used a lawnmower. :D

Fifty-word stories

I do have a following for my fifty-word stories and some of them appreciate how difficult they are to do.

To reach the 750 word minimum for a Literotica story, I have to post them in sets of 15. If I am intending them for a themed contest entry I can usually manage to produce 10, but the last five get progressively harder. When posted, the ones I found more challenging aren't necessary the last few, because the order of the 15 is important too.

Writing 15 50-word stories takes me longer and is more of an effort than a 5,000 word normal story.

Same here. I was bad about it for years. I submit in bunches, then disappear for a year at a time. Now I try to answer the emails at least a couple of times a week. A third of them are still from anonymous, so those are pretty easy to respond to.

It's the anons who give enthusiastic feedback and then ask questions. With no reply address.

the ones who leave vitriolic personal attacks with a reply address are better fun. :D

Amen. ;)

I don't know that I have "a following" as such, but I do know of a few readers who especially liked one of my stories and I was able to suggest others, which they also seemed to like. Overall, I don't think my stories fit into any one genre well enough for me to have a super-enthusiastic following. But I certainly wouldn't complain if I learned I was wrong about that. ;)

I do have a following for my fifty-word stories and some of them appreciate how difficult they are to do.

To reach the 750 word minimum for a Literotica story, I have to post them in sets of 15. If I am intending them for a themed contest entry I can usually manage to produce 10, but the last five get progressively harder. When posted, the ones I found more challenging aren't necessary the last few, because the order of the 15 is important too.

Writing 15 50-word stories takes me longer and is more of an effort than a 5,000
word normal story.

I second this. After finding out about this 50-word format, and reading a bunch of yours (really enjoyed it, I think it's an art form), I've written and published several 50-word stories myself.

The biggest problem is to come up with 15 different story ideas. I always find it hard to come with an idea for a normal length story, now I have to get fifteen of them! I notice you often get around the issue by writing a string of 50-word stories that read a bit like sequels. Should make it much easier to get the ideas.

And then the challenge of condensing it into 50 words. No more, no less. It usually starts with 200-300 words that then progressively get cut, and sometimes indeed end up short and need to be extended. It's fun to do. I should have a handful on the shelf, not enough to publish.

Related, I'm considering to start writing a 50-word synopsis of my stories (as author's note at the start of the story - so readers can quickly see whether it interests them or not, hopefully to catch more readers and keeping out the trolls), and maybe add a 50-word version of a 30k-word story at the end of it. Just for the fun of it.

Back