Why do you post at Lit?

SamScribble

Yeah, still just a guru
Joined
Oct 23, 2009
Posts
38,861
One of my friends, a very good – no, make that excellent – writer (who hasn’t posted here for quite some time), asked me, a couple of days ago, why I post at Lit. In the wee hours of this morning, I woke up asking myself the same question.

Almost ten years on from posting my first story, I still have (almost) the same small band of followers. I don’t get a huge number of views, and five or six comments is a major deluge. And, given that most of my followers have given me their real names and an email address, I could just send them an email version of anything I might write in future.

In the ‘real’ world, I must have several million published words. I have spent more than 50 years writing for a living. I have written short stories. I have written books – fiction and non-fiction. I have written plays and screen plays. And I have written long-running columns for five print publications and an online magazine.

I am now pretty much ‘retired’ – not because I ever intended to retire, but because various essential bits of me have retired. They have ‘given up’. They have called it a day. They have passed their ‘use by’ date.

Don’t get me wrong - all credit to Laurel and Manu - but why do you girls and boys post here?
 
For fun! Like you, I have stuff that has been published elsewhere. I won a USA Today Haiku contest some years back. I have novels and other works that I never submitted anywhere. A friend who is a song and play writer thought one of my novels would work well as a play. Not sure about that.

This place is just darned fun! So many nice people here. I'm up all night, so why not?
 
Post stories, you mean? I started posting stories here to warehouse them someplace retrievable other than in my computers. So, for archiving mostly. But also I like to have as many as possible readers for them, and this is a bigly platform. I post to the discussion board to take breaks from writing and editing while I'm at the computer.
 
I've only been publishing here on Lit the last three years - it's pure self indulgence, self-discovery, enjoyment; finding that my writing pleases some folk is a bonus. I've met some good people, some very very good people, and some clowns. They know who they are :).
 
My reasons for posting stories on here for a little less than a year so far ...

1. I wanted to try writing fiction again, after a really long time of resisting doing so
2. I read an article somewhere that writing sex scenes for characters was really difficult
3. Then I read a completely separate thing that one of my friends sent me about the world of online erotica
4. Then I realised I could publish stories online, somewhat anonymously, and see if anyone out there wanted to even read them and would share what they thought of them, and if writing sex was so challenging, then that'd be an interesting thing to work on, so why not?
5. It turns out writing about sex - well, and relationships and people and love etc - is a lot of fun
6. And after dipping my toe into contributing a little bit to this forum for authors, I'm relieved that everyone seems nice ....

Well, I can't deny my introvert tendencies completely, can I?!
 
It's cheaper than smoking and drinking, and I'm too lazy to go looking for other platforms to make just as much no money from my writing as I do here.
 
I post stories when the voices in my head insist. I have no say in the matter.
 
My brain just won't shut up. It insists on filling the day with the constant chatter of ideas. Some of the ideas seem quite clever. Some of the ideas seem quite erotic. Some seem curious and interesting, and perhaps need further investigation.

By writing these ideas down, they become organized and become stories. I like that. It gives my ideas legitimacy. Rather than just being "day dreaming", my ideas become literature.

And (as an unexpected benefit) I've developed a small following of fans. And they sometimes send me fan mail.
 
I post here because I have a story to tell that needs to be written. It’s kinda like the age old question -Spit or Swallow? After doing all the work to write the story, I’m not about to spit it out and waste it. I’m going to swallow my pride and post it for others to enjoy it as well. 🌹Kant👠👠👠
 
You people are my guinea pigs for ideas that compel intense reactions. I wanna see what you do

giphy.gif
 
I stumbled across Lit way back when and after a bit a story took root and upon writing it took a decidedly unexpected turn, which was interesting and fun. So I rinsed and repeated to see if I could replicate what success it had. Then, off to experiment-land with a number of styles and categories. So, for fun, though I’ve been slow to get my latest non-erotic polished and submitted.
 
It's fun, with some pretty good people scattered around. About like the real world but not at the same time.
 
I was a dreaded reader for a long time before I became a contributing author. I started writing to see if I could. Then I was writing thing that I would like to read here at Lit. and publishing them here, because I could. For the most part it's been fun. Now, having retired, I write to fill my time and have fun.

I have written well over 1.5 million words since I started. I now have publications at several sites around the web.

I have also asked "Why do I still publish here?"

Maybe because it was the first place a I found and there might be a sense of loyalty...maybe.
 
It's still a relatively new thing for me, having published 20 stories in the last 18 months. Writing and publishing erotic stories is something I thought about doing for a long time, because I've been reading stories here for at least 15 years. A little voice in my head kept saying: "you could do that!"

So I have, and it's been a lot of fun. I like to think I'm learning something about writing as well.
 
Many times I post MERELY to get a reaction, to see what others may think or feel on a topic.

Not afraid to ask the hard questions...
 
There was a lull in my online videogaming. :D
I had read stories on Lit for years, and figured I would work up some of these fantasies into stories with characters and see if anyone liked them. Made an account and banged out some content. We'll see how this goes.
 
I was reading stories on Yahoo Adult Groups and thought 'I can write better than that'. I wrote about twenty stories and had some reaction, but not much. One Yahoo Group were very helpful but it was only one.

When I found Literotica I watched for a while and saw that stories got many more responses than I was getting on Yahoo. Even the voting and rating system was more effective.

I posted the stories I had already written, had votes and some feedback (this was before Lit had a comment system), and found I was getting much more than on Yahoo.

I started writing FOR Literotica and also posting on Yahoo. I kept doing both until Yahoo went 'neo' and mucked up the groups.

When I found Literotica themed contests they gave me an incentive to write for each contest.

Why do I write? Because The Muses insist that I must. Once I have posted a story I can forget it and move on to the next, and the next, and the next and...

Oh shit! It's 300+ stories now and The Muses still aren't satisfied. :(
 
I was reading stories on Yahoo Adult Groups and thought 'I can write better than that'.
"It's not because I'm pretty
It's not because I'm smart
I just thought, "I can write better than that!"
That's how I got my start."
--after Gene Autrey & Ogg​
I hit LIT not so long ago. I read many fascinating (and other) tales with awful orthography and floods of trite. I mentally edited everything. Took me about three months to start posting because I COULDN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE!
 
Neither reading on Literotica (I read very few stories here) nor the thought that I could do better than what I read here (I read very few stories here) have ever had anything to do with my posting of stories here. I admit that I started submitting to erotica publishers because, in a survey of the advent of e-books, I researched the what and how of that because I consulted on getting published, and I found that a bit of money was to be made if I caught the wave (before the market glutted)--but that decision wasn't on the basis of what anyone else was writing and how good I thought they were writing it. I leave the writing of others to others and their readers. I just focus on my own writing.
 
I started writing here because I genuinely did not know what to do with my stories. They’re too erotic for mainstream, yet they’re very likely not good enough for the open market. I’m happy to publish them here for free to gauge a reaction from readers in order to find out if I could seriously do this as a full time gig. That is my dream.
 
Back
Top