The hot Arabic chick thread

would you care to remind us please?
Or give us a pointer ?

Here you go. ;)

attachment.php

Hmm. It's kind of different compared to my recollection of it.

Attachments

• Photoshoot 3-1-09 066crbwav.JPG
    Photoshoot 3-1-09 066crbwav.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 173
Considering Americans used to cover table legs with little skirts to avoid lustful thoughts, it could be worse...

Actually that originated in France during Moliere's time. La Preciosite demanded that even furniture have its legs demurely covered. The style stuck with us as "French Provincial."

19 century photo's too big to paste here, of a woman and her guard/husband/ Lover?
And three damsels in repose.

Some interesting pix.
Not Arabic but Turkmenistanish.

Still she's a cutie.

Awww, she is a cutie. :rose:

I'm struck by how the poses in the photos are so similar to the 19th century paintings of Middle Eastern scenes: people with water jars, a family on a donkey-cart. Is it just my perception or have photos and paintings moved a lot further apart in how they represent today's world?

Awww, she is a cutie. :rose:

I'm struck by how the poses in the photos are so similar to the 19th century paintings of Middle Eastern scenes: people with water jars, a family on a donkey-cart. Is it just my perception or have photos and paintings moved a lot further apart in how they represent today's world?

I wonder if that's related to exposure times. If you've got to sit still for a long time to get a single photo (and pay a professional) then the constraints are quite similar to getting a painting done. But when you can get a photo in a fraction of a second and then move on to another shot... not so much.

BTW, although it's not Arabic, this seems sort of appropriate here:

http://ridiculouslyinteresting.com/2012/01/05/hidden-mothers-in-victorian-portraits/

I wonder if that's related to exposure times. If you've got to sit still for a long time to get a single photo (and pay a professional) then the constraints are quite similar to getting a painting done. But when you can get a photo in a fraction of a second and then move on to another shot... not so much.

BTW, although it's not Arabic, this seems sort of appropriate here:

http://ridiculouslyinteresting.com/2012/01/05/hidden-mothers-in-victorian-portraits/

That sounds very plausible.

LOL, what a hilarious set of mom shots. And that site is great - particularly when viewed from the perspective of the kind of minds on AH <snerk>. I'm sure there's a story lurking in that collection of 5 Mystery Objects currently featured on the Home Page.

:rose:

I have seen thousands of Victorian UK CDVs (Cartes De Visite) and studio photographs from Dageurreotypes onwards.

The hidden mother picture doesn't seem to occur in the UK. The mother is almost always visible, or the child is alone. Were UK children better at keeping still? Or were UK photographers better at reducing exposure times?

Post mortem photos are however common. But UK ones seem to show dead bodies, not ones posed as if they were alive.

Post mortem photos are however common. But UK ones seem to show dead bodies, not ones posed as if they were alive.

IIRC embalming was much more popular in the USA than the UK from the 1860s or so; I wonder if there's any connection, either in practicalities or in attitudes towards death?

Back