What are you reading at the moment?

Ultra-Marathon Man: Confessions of an all night runner.
Dean Karnazes.

Very inspirational, if your a runner.
 
2011 Novel and Short Story Writer's Market - alright, maybe not a word for word read but close enough! :rolleyes:
 
Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. Someone I know said my writing and more particularly my worldbuilding reminded me of his stuff. Reading it, I can see the parallels in some places.
 
Virtually Hers By Gennita Somebody.
and THe magicians... by lev Somebody.
 
The Club Dumas, by Arturo Perez-Reverte. (It's a slow slough so far.)
 
Currently re-reading The Long Winter (part of the Little House books), but I'm excited to announce that I have a $50 gift certificate to spend at Barbara's Bookstore, so I'm going to do that before I move next weekend. :nana:
 
Void Trilogy by Peter Hamilton. Waiting for the last book, The Evolutionary Void, to come in at the local library.
 
Just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - good, the others are on order.

Halfway through Split Image by Robert Parker (he had several books published posthumously).
 
Have a daughter in High-School. I make it a practice to read whatever she reads, so I can help her with her work, as well as have an idea of what she's reading. This included a re-reading (for the first time in about 30 years) Fahrenheit 451, and just starting in on The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. Her grandmother bought it for her - obviously she doesn't read the stuff. Not exactly freshman required reading.

Keep the Kindle loaded at all times, never know when I'll have to burn some time...
 
Biographes of Alfred Russell Wallace and William Stewart Halsted, and an autobiography of a forensic anthropologist.

The 3rd book is interesting cuz the scientist started out as a drop-out, druggie hobo who got a job bagging stiffs and removing them to the morgue or funeral home. He got used to the smell and eye-candy, enrolled in college, earned a PhD.
 
Rereading Oswald Spengler--or trying to, when I actually get to sit down.
 
Olympic Gold: A Runner's Life and Times
Frank Shorter with Marc Bloom.
 
Pandora’s Legions by Christopher Anvil

I have never read this one before...I have read other works by the author but no this one.
 
well, no sense in trying to deny it here... reading smut, of course. :rolleyes:

"Oysters & Chocolate" a compilation of short stories
 
I tend to go through a burst of reading one writer for a while.

I read The Snowman by Jon Nesbo and enjoyed it, so went back and started on his first and am really finding it very hard work. May never get to the others.

Belatedly just finished Steven King's On Writing, and wondering why it took me so long to get around to it. Brilliant!

About to start re-reading the Dennis Wheatley Devil Rides Out books, as I recall them fondly and just wondering if they will have aged badly or not.
 


On 19 November 2004 a new Internet domain, realclimate.org, was registered by Betsy Ensley, an employee of Environmental Media Services (EMS), a PR firm based in Washington, DC... EMS was run by David Fenton, a powerful PR executive, as part of his lobbying organisation, Fenton Communications. Fenton has been called "one of the most influential PR people of the 20th century" a claim that was based in part on the leading role he played in promoting the notorious Alar scare in the 1980s, when apple growers across the USA were ruined by an unsubstantiated claim that a pesticide they used caused cancer.



-Andrew W. Montford
The Hockey Stick Illusion
London, United Kingdom 2010.




I honestly didn't know what to expect— a vitriolic polemic or junk science or a well-written, well-documented recital of events that culminates in scientific scandal. Happily, it turned out to be the latter. It is more than a sad fact that not a single library in my state owned the book. My library system was only able to borrow a copy through an interlibrary loan from Clark University's ( Worcester, Massachusetts ) library. The story of Steve McIntyre and Ross McKitrick's tireless and dogged effort to force Michael Mann et al to produce the data and computer code that purported to underlie the widely-used "Hockey Stick" graph of recent temperature is disturbing. You may never look at climatology the same way again. It'll be many years before I do.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top