Pope Bashing?

Thank you, Ogg, for posting that link to Papal fallacy and ex cathedra. I always like to learn more about the Church.

Yes, a good day of bashing to keep me entertained while it snows outside.

I can't say I feel sorry for Ratzinger, as yet. I keep thinking another shoe or two could still drop.

Snow and cold? :eek:

No precip expected this week at all, and today it was a gorgeous, non-humid 85 F.

I like where I live more and more.

85 degrees, no wonder you have such a sunny disposition!

Do you have azalias like in Augusta? or dogwood? Magnolia?

My fruit trees are setting fruit, although the apple is just blooming.

A cold blustery day but it is clearing as we speak and the sun will come out tomorrow, tomorrow.

Do you have azalias like in Augusta? or dogwood? Magnolia?

My fruit trees are setting fruit, although the apple is just blooming.

A cold blustery day but it is clearing as we speak and the sun will come out tomorrow, tomorrow.

We do, yes, but I'm not quite as far south as Augusta. Wisteria grows wild here, and it's blooming everywhere. My neighbor's magnolia is starting to bloom and my carolina jasmine is budding out, too. :)

For those who aren't familiar with them, this is wisteria:

image.axd

and carolina jasmine:

DETA-417.jpg

The fact is that the Pope is protected legally even from his own actions.

And Bush is protected extra-legally by the "old Boy" network.

Making it necessary for the grass roots to bash them at every instance.

They start believing their own press and unless there are rumblings of discontent there is no progress. It is our duty. Eternal Vigilance is the price of freedom. :D

Eternal Vigilance is the price of freedom. :D

I thought it was walk softly and carry a big stick. :confused:

I noted this section of Ogg's post with great interest.

"For a teaching by a pope or ecumenical council to be recognized as infallible, the teaching must make it clear that the Church is to consider it definitive and binding. There is not any specific phrasing required for this, but it is usually indicated by one or both of the following:

* a verbal formula indicating that this teaching is definitive (such as "We declare, decree and define..."), or
* an accompanying anathema stating that anyone who deliberately dissents is outside the Catholic Church."

So glad I was accustomed to being outside the church before reading this or I might think my dissenting thoughts could take me to hell.

I noted this section of Ogg's post with great interest.

"For a teaching by a pope or ecumenical council to be recognized as infallible, the teaching must make it clear that the Church is to consider it definitive and binding. There is not any specific phrasing required for this, but it is usually indicated by one or both of the following:

* a verbal formula indicating that this teaching is definitive (such as "We declare, decree and define..."), or
* an accompanying anathema stating that anyone who deliberately dissents is outside the Catholic Church."

So glad I was accustomed to being outside the church before reading this or I might think my dissenting thoughts could take me to hell.

Please note that my link is to Wikipedia and NOT to the official version authorised by the Catholic Church, although in practice I think Wikipedia is broadly correct.

Papal infallibility is often used to criticise the Catholic Church but it is very limited.

Similar infallibility seems to be claimed by those who set the rules of sport. If you don't abide by THEIR rules, you can't compete.

In the Catholic Church's rules, if you don't accept the rules, you are not a Catholic.

Other churches, religions and sects have similar pronouncements, but they don't actually say they are "infallible". You must follow the rules or cease to be a member. If you don't believe in the Spaghetti Monster, you can't join in the worship.

Og

Other churches, religions and sects have similar pronouncements, but they don't actually say they are "infallible". You must follow the rules or cease to be a member. If you don't believe in the Spaghetti Monster, you can't join in the worship.

Og

But if your not Catholic, and disagree with it, it's open season. This is being challenged by the Islamic world over breeding as the Church feared.

Billions for defense, not one dime for condoms.

But if your not Catholic, and disagree with it, it's open season. This is being challenged by the Islamic world over breeding as the Church feared.

Billions for defense, not one dime for condoms.

Was it the Catholic Church, or some other Church, or just US politicians that decided against funding for condoms?

The GIs who landed in Normandy in 1944 carried so many condoms that even the delighted-to-be-liberated French thought that the troops' objective could be misconstrued.

Og

Was it the Catholic Church, or some other Church, or just US politicians that decided against funding for condoms?

The GIs who landed in Normandy in 1944 carried so many condoms that even the delighted-to-be-liberated French thought that the troops' objective could be misconstrued.

Og

That was forces defensive, not for the civil population. It was a different time and the forces of the evil lords was limited then. There was a War to fight.

The Church had to have been consulted, I assume their attitude was negative, but you are right it is our stiff necked myopic Puritanical Right that keeps us from addressing the crisis in Africa and Bangladesh, et al.

Catholics play a real weak role in American moral policy now. The Evangelicals and Mormons are the ones rolling back sex education/condoms, gay rights, science, reproductive rights and all that stuff people go nuts over.

I'd prefer a Colt .45, if you don't mind. We've come a long ways from TR's day.

Teddy was fond of the Winchester Model 1876 in .45-75 caliber. He was also fond of the same model in .50-90 cal.

Perhaps that was his "Big Stick". :D

1876-winchester-rifle-2.jpg

Bully!!

Last edited:
I fear that we may be pursuing the wrong thing here. Historically speaking, the RC Church has traditionally dictated how things will proceed, and (presumably) assumed that those workers in the Church would be without a deal of sin (I suspect it started with people like Thomas Aquinas (a bit of a misogynist) but I am probably wrong, and not permitting mixed religious houses).

So the doctrines and practices were developed over time and amended over time for the sake of those who rose high in the church; the first thing was to limit education and the spread of knowledge (printing the Bible in English, for example).

We therefore get to the point where the church, in some ways, 'boxed in' by its own rules. And since it was the leading light in the minds of the people, the church could hardly hold it's collective hands up and say "we have a paedophile or three."

Hoist by their own petard, I feel.

I understand why the church did not raise its hand and declare their pedophiles to protect itself, but why transfer the sick priest to a new neighborhood of unsuspecting people instead of moving him far away from all children. That is where it all falls apart, the infallacy part, anyway, IMO.

I understand why the church did not raise its hand and declare their pedophiles to protect itself, but why transfer the sick priest to a new neighborhood of unsuspecting people instead of moving him far away from all children. That is where it all falls apart, the infallacy part, anyway, IMO.

SO the Pope can be fallible, except when he speaks ex catheral, and the Church can be fallible except on doctrine and stuff, when that is the "Truthiness"?

But they can't be held accountable for some hard working archbishop, buried in the bowels of the bureaucracy and isolated from the damage to the population, only sensitive to the "needs of the Church", when he decides to protect the institution rather than follow the teachings of Christ? :eek:

Is that about it?

Very strange religion?:confused:

The fact that Catholics must believe the dogma without question makes it difficult for me to believe it. Not that the Catholics care if I believe, unlike the born-agains.

Back