THE NEW CHYOO (with link)! Also, what features should be part of an updated CHYOO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As it stands at this time, the color code is thus:
Green = New/Unread
Blue = Unread since last change (not exactly sure where the temporal line is in terms of if/how long before thread goes from blue to green)
White = Read by you and not updated since
Black with location symbol = Last thread you read in this story (not sure how this interacts with Blue and Green)

The issue right now is that everything brought over from the old site is considered "new" because the last site didn't have any history beyond raw access counts. Just run through the stories you care about so the site knows you have read the threads.
Ehm..yes but there are stories with hundreds of threads. I'm sure there is a better way than force me to open one thousand threads to be able to see updates on bookmarked stories :\
As I was saying...a button to mark the story as read?..or something else, idk.
 
Last edited:
First new story

Added a first new story candidate in the new site. Just a fun romp, women friends who met at college years ago, on vacation at a resort together. Seemed to go smoothly.

-Z.
 
Might I request a much less..."Touch Friendly" UI/layout version of the new site?

I'm sure there was a good amount of work put into the design of the new site, but the text for all of the stories themselves is way too big, and the spacing between stories in the search list is humongous (using Chrome browser). This is probably nice for smaller screens and convenient on phones/tablets, but on a regular desktop/laptop display it makes everything very annoying to navigate and to have to scroll up and down pages so much.

Edit: Also, the ability to right-click specific threads in the Story Map pages and open them in new tabs needs to be brought back.
 
Last edited:
The handle 2p1k3 is changing to "Witkh 13" because I do not know what email address chyoa thinks is tied to 2p1k3 on chyoo; 'cause it is not the current one.

Witkh13 on chyoo is me too but I have the same problem. Was created when I was having trouble with logging into 2p1k3.
Ehm..yes but there are stories with hundreds of threads. I'm sure there is a better way than force me to open one thousand threads to be able to see updates on bookmarked stories :\
As I was saying...a button to mark the story as read?..or something else, idk.
in the phantom window that opens up when you click on the 'bookmarks' icon next to your handle? there is a button called "Mark all as read" right before settings. I imagine this will do exactly that?
Oh, no, those still aren't there yet.

That's for people who don't mind Apple and Google execs reading their pornographic fantasies.

Yeeccchh.
o_O Facebook gave me the option to set a custom url. For some reason chyoa itself was unavailable. The shortened G+ URL redirects to what Google shows me to 'share'.
 
Last edited:
A clarification from Friedman:

Regarding the color code:
If a thread is unread it is green (Exception: Veterans see green threads only if the thread was created on the new site).
If a thread was updated (and the user has read it before), the thread will be displayed as blue (color doesn't change back to green).
Black overwrites green and blue.
 
in the phantom window that opens up when you click on the 'bookmarks' icon next to your handle? there is a button called "Mark all as read" right before settings. I imagine this will do exactly that?o_O
lol didn't see it. Yes it works (for ALL the stories you have bookmarked)
 
Report on issues.

Story map: you probably already know this, but a lot of stories (the longest ones probably) have their story map cut off (both horizontally and vertically)
Also notice how the threads are not in order (see the first option: "early morning workout" should be the third, not the first)

An example.

Old chyoo: http://www.chyoo.com/index.php/member.story.map/5290
New: https://chyoa.com/story/a-sexy-day-in-suburbia/map

PS: also, If I can make a suggestion, a lot of stories are really HUGE so it coud be a good thing to have the story map use the entire screen and not only the central part.
 
Last edited:
Just discovered the new site today and found a few glitches.

1: Although story listings show the date a story was first created, it does not show any information about the last time it was updated, which IMHO is more important for those following a thread.

2: The Story map doesn't seem to quite be working right. Not all of the episodes in the story are displayed on the story map. For example, see the "Power Fantasy" story. The various episodes which branch off from this episode: https://chyoa.com/story/power-fantasy/thread/female-195 do not appear on the story map at all despite being accessible by clicking through that episode.
 
New Feature Request

I believe the positives of importing the ability to 'contact' authors from CHYOO2 would vastly outweigh any negatives. As it is now 'contacting' fails to exist...

Incidentally it also prevents me from maybe finding out what email address Ch.Y.O.A. thinks I use. I thought of sending a comment to 'myself' but alas that option is not implemented yet.
 
I believe the positives of importing the ability to 'contact' authors from CHYOO2 would vastly outweigh any negatives. As it is now 'contacting' fails to exist...

Incidentally it also prevents me from maybe finding out what email address Ch.Y.O.A. thinks I use. I thought of sending a comment to 'myself' but alas that option is not implemented yet.

I thought of a private messaging system for the new site. This may be more convenient since the conversations then take place centrally.

To see what email address is currently used for you account, have a look at the bottom of the settings page (chyoa.com/settings).
 
That's for people who don't mind Apple and Google execs reading their pornographic fantasies.

I'm sorry, how does this have anything to do with what I was saying?

Does no one else have an issue with the new "modern" interface/layout of the site? It's a very drastic change from the way the old site looked, which is not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, but it's not really very desktop/laptop friendly at all. Everything is just way too...big, and poorly spaced out, imo.
 
For the most part I like the new layout. I do have a few quibbles.

Some things aren't separated very well. Every time I look through the Recently Updated Stories list on the main page I momentarily think that "Discover More Stories" is one of the recently updated stories.

A little more color here and there would be nice. I'm actually really fond of the little blue "beta" circle, just because that spot of color looks nice. I think it might be nice to highlight a few of the more important buttons with similar color circles.

Some of the titles from threads get cut off. They should wrap to the next line.

I wouldn't mind if the text was a little smaller. Maybe there could be an option to change the size in your profile, with a slightly smaller default.

Some buttons, like "Add a new thread," are are in gray. That makes them a little hard to read and easier to miss.
 
Last edited:
One big problem I have is that any time I log in, it takes me back to the main page. So if I try to leave a message or open of the story map, it will ask me to log in, then go back to the main page instead of continuing to where I wanted to go.
 
Does no one else have an issue with the new "modern" interface/layout of the site? It's a very drastic change from the way the old site looked, which is not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, but it's not really very desktop/laptop friendly at all. Everything is just way too...big, and poorly spaced out, imo.

I'm on a desktop with a 1680x1050 resolution and everything looks perfectly fine to me. Extremely desktop friendly. Your resolution might just be way too small.
 
When editing, it would be nice of the "Save thread" button was at the bottom of the page. That's where I am when I finish writing or proofreading.

By the way, I love that the sight spell checks now. Also, I was able to write a whole thread without being logged out. I'm so glad I don't have to open up a separate text editor to write threads, now.

One more thing. When I submitted the thread, it didn't say, "locked," at the bottom of the page. It looks like I can just add a new thread before the last one is even approved. Is that how it is supposed to be?
 
The search only seems to be searching in titles, not in the threads themselves. Am I doing something wrong?
 
Feedback on contributed threads?

How do I leave comments on contributed threads submitted for my consideration?

I see "approve" and "decline" links, but not much more than that, and it's not clear how I would contact the author via the site.

-Z.

(I've declined the thread because it didn't do a good job of continuity of mood; the supporting character goes from "dazed" in the previous thread to "excited" in the submission, without a transition).
 
Last edited:
Here's another formatting opinion.

I liked on the old chyoo how there wasn't anything between the story and the continuing question. It seems natural to just read the question directly after reading the story.

Ratings, comments, and the Edit button could be moved to the bottom of the page. The words "follow up question" could be removed.

I just think it would flow a little better.
 
When I edited my story, it forced me to add a subtitle. I don't want a subtitle.

Can we change it so that subtitles are optional?
 
I noticed that threads that were linked in the old CHYOO are now just blanks with "<NO TITLE>"

Is there a way to link a thread with the new CHYOO?
 
Tags are keywords. Image gallery sites are very popular sites which manage with free tagging well enough. There's no need to catalog a list of every single tag being used; only for people to search for a keyword they want to find and be connected to a story that has that tag. The impetus would be to use tags correctly. Unfortunately, image galleries let anybody tag any entry, because users are typically motivated to be mature about it. It's at least better than the bizarre categories we use now which lack being both thorough and mutually exclusive: Two qualities any list of categories must possess for accuracy and effectiveness.

I agree, that only using categories isn't an option. In general I like the idea of tags.

The main difference between Images and Stories is, that you can do a fulltext search within a story. You can search for keywords more easily, because in a good text there probably would be used more words for one meaning (cave, cavern, ...)

Predefined tags could be count by story (as suggested before), so potential reader can see, if there is just a small amount of action in a cave or if almost the whole story takes place in a cave.

With free tagging I think that would be also possible, but not as easy.


I'm sorry for my bad english
 
Last edited:
Thank you for responding. However, "settings" only shows me that if I am logged in as 2p1k3. I wanted to find out what the email address was so that I could reset the password.
I thought of a private messaging system for the new site. This may be more convenient since the conversations then take place centrally.

To see what email address is currently used for you account, have a look at the bottom of the settings page (chyoa.com/settings).
 
Thank you for responding. However, "settings" only shows me that if I am logged in as 2p1k3. I wanted to find out what the email address was so that I could reset the password.

Um, if you scroll all the way down in the settings page, the last section is labeled "Account" and lists your E-mail address and password, both of which can be edited right there.
 
Um, if you scroll all the way down in the settings page, the last section is labeled "Account" and lists your E-mail address and password, both of which can be edited right there.

Though, contra the "Um", I see a pattern in some of the comments in that some features are difficult to find in the current design.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top