What happened to all of the doom and gloom economic threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charles V Payne ‏@cvpayne 24m
Dropout Nation. 312,000 leave labor force- at the heart of America's problem -success vilified & punished while failure encouraged rewarded

Success is not vilified in anyway in this country. We make heroes out of the people who work hard and acheive greatness. It's not a coincidence that Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are household names one with a movie dedicated to his life and the way he inspires people to greatness. The rich are "vilified" a little as far as not paying their fair share and take advantage of a system that favors them and they should be. Our goals are not their goals. They're goal is to get as much labor for as little money as possible, our goal is to get as much money for as little labor as possible. We might all share the end goal of getting the job done but in the middle we aren't on the same team and shouldn't pretend otherwise.

Failure is in no way encouraged nor is it rewarded. It's laughable to claim otherwise.

Who are the poor? You mean those whom the government pays to not look for work?

The government doesn't pay anybody but the old not to look for work and thank god it does that and gets them out of the workforce so the young can get their feet in the door to begin with. I would say that it's fair to call you poor if you're receiving (or qualify for but you're too proud/stupid to take it)

I ask nothing of my government.

And yet you receive plenty without even asking because people like me realize even if you don't know you want or need it you do and it's not fair to everybody else to let your ignorance dry up the pool.

The beginning of the end:

Charles V Payne ‏@cvpayne 12m
Truth nobody discussing- young white males giving up on American Dream in droves Huge story 16-19 participation rate 35.8 from 62.7 Aug 1978

I'd be impressed but I bet that coincides with High School graduation becoming more common and at least starting college becoming more widespread. We can debate if starting college is an admirable thing or not when we've seen how many people take just a handful of classes and then drop out for whatever reason but the fact that a high school drop out isn't going to land a job period is probably the reason for that.

It isn't factually accurate to suggest the poor are shamed/punished.

U-6 slightly improved for August, but that's less important than where it stands (13.7 percent).

Of course it is. What do you call cutting entitlements if not punishing the poor?

He knows that very well. Any mention of able bodied folks being paid to stay home is "punishing and shaming" the poor.:D

Well that doesn't actually happen in any significant numbers. Even if you count the U6 number (which isn't really accurate but whatever) 13.7% of Americans don't work. Even if everyone of them was receiving welfare that would still not be a huge amount of Americans. Just over one in nine and most of them are old or students but still.

Oh sweetie, i think its so cute how you and the other left wing communist mentally drfective tools think that money grows on ferry trees and obama doesnt have to worry about the laws of cash flow management

I also love the fact how you defective people feel the potus isnt the same as a CEO

Money does actually grow on trees. Or more accurately rich bankers simply will it into existance. You do understand that right or do I have to explain to you how Fractal banking (which is what has been used since around 1500) works? It's pretty close to magic. You THINK work somehow creates money but that runs entirely contrary to modern reality. That hasn't been true (if it ever was) for quite a while in America.

And the POTUS isn't a CEO. He's not even particularly similar to a CEO and the comparison is just stupid. He doesn't run a business, he runs a country. He can print money if he wants to, a business can't. He can change the rules (with the help of Congress) a business can't. He has to work with and through Congress, there isn't much he can do on his own. A CEO can tell everybody to shut the fuck up and do what he pleases.

Now nobody argues that dictators are more efficient than presidents. That's kind of the point of both. Dictators get shit done. Presidents are hobbled by rules and it's our opinion that slow and steady ultimately wins the race.

Minnesota unveils record low health care insurance rates

Rates plummet even in well-run states: 25 year old non-smoker policy as low as $91 per month pre-subsidy

LINK

One of the usual suspects will be by here shortly to explain how this is actually bad news for President Obama. :rolleyes:

The lowest-cost $90.59 policy is based on a 25 year-old, non-smoker living in the Twin Cities, the department said. The highest rate listed was $407.51

The Federal Government's inspector general estimates that the total amount of fraud detailed above in the entire food stamp program is a miniscule 1.8%.

Now it seems to me there are three possible courses of action:

1. Institute massive new government programs to prevent that sort of fraud from happening in the future
  2. Punish the law-abiding 98.2% who do obey the law by doing away with food stamps altogether
  3. Shrug your shoulders and say, well, that's an unfortunate cost of doing business

Personally, I'm leaning towards option 3 here

Oh dear....the USDA has issued it's 2012 report on Food Stamp fraud in Murica for 2012.

The numbers do NOT look good.... for Vetty and Busybody.

It seems that the fraud rate for 2012 was below zero...a NEGATIVE number.

How do you have a fraud rate below zero? It seems that underpayments to eligible food stamp recipients more than wiped out any overage to ineligble food stamp recipients.

Washington Post article

USDA press release (pdf)

As always,
Fuck You Vetteman
Sucks to be J-w, Busybody

Oh dear....the USDA has issued it's 2012 report on Food Stamp fraud in Murica for 2012.

The numbers do NOT look good.... for Vetty and Busybody.

It seems that the fraud rate for 2012 was below zero...a NEGATIVE number.

How do you have a fraud rate below zero? It seems that underpayments to eligible food stamp recipients more than wiped out any overage to ineligble food stamp recipients.

Washington Post article

USDA press release (pdf)

As always,
Fuck You Vetteman
Sucks to be J-w, Busybody

Another quality post from Fatty. :cool:

The yipping lil' chihuahua isn't aware that Americans earn those benefits because they've already paid for them their entire working life and don't have to "ask."

You didn't "earn" anything anymore than someone who worked and went on unemployment or welfare did. What's good for the goose, is good for the gander.

If you didn't like the system, you should have never paid into it in the first place, and gone to live somewhere where you could live in total economic freedom. Like Somalia. I'm sure that you would have lasted a long time.

:rolleyes:

It is isn't even effective rhetoric to say the poor are shamed/punished.

As to the U-6, it matters to investors what the real unemployment rate is, and the U-6 doesn't suggest econ vigor.

It is isn't even effective rhetoric to say the poor are shamed/punished.

You're not alone, denial has been a core component of conservative philosophy for some time now.

Just keep sticking your fingers in your ear, and yell "La La La I Can't Hear You!".....and scratch your unibrow in confusion every time you lose an election....

The yipping lil' chihuahua isn't aware that Americans earn those benefits because they've already paid for them their entire working life and don't have to "ask."

No not really. Medicare is still mostly welfare since according to the Congressional Budget Office the average person pays in only about one third of what they collect. So you didn't really earn those benefits all that much. They're mostly government handouts. Given that you spent most of your working life in jobs with middling pay, you probably paid in less than one-third.

Also you paid in 0% of your Medicare Part-D benefit since Republicans didn't think it should be funded. You're just taking free stuff from the government that you didn't earn. You're no different than someone going on Food Stamps.

Last edited:
With these kinds of numbers, we are now Europe. We have a huge national crisis...we're numb to it. Europe has exactly this kind of cronic unemployment for decades and its because here, we've had a slow recovery, massive regulation, and we're in a stagnation of sorts....its the new norm

With these kinds of numbers, we are now Europe. We have a huge national crisis...we're numb to it. Europe has exactly this kind of cronic unemployment for decades and its because here, we've had a slow recovery, massive regulation, and we're in a stagnation of sorts....its the new norm

Europe has universal health care, public universities, and a higher level of happiness than we have in the US. They use their tax money to promote social welfare, whereas we use our tax money to fund private interests through no bid contracts and slush funds like TIFs and other sketchy deals that don't do anything for the public interest.

How do you think that we're like Europe exactly?

Europe has universal health care, public universities, and a higher level of happiness than we have in the US. They use their tax money to promote social welfare, whereas we use our tax money to fund private interests through no bid contracts and slush funds like TIFs and other sketchy deals that don't do anything for the public interest.

How do you think that we're like Europe exactly?

Who says they have a higher level of happiness?

Who says they have a higher level of happiness?

You didn't actually answer the question, so I probably should ignore yours... but since I know you have trouble with this stuff.

There are a lot of different metrics that have been tried in terms of measuring happiness, but none of them that I've ever seen place the US above Europe as a whole (although the US does rank above some eastern european countries).

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/04/06/where-are-the-worlds-happiest-countries/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/christo.../the-worlds-happiest-and-saddest-countries-2/

http://www.happyplanetindex.org/data/

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/lif_hap_net-lifestyle-happiness-net

You're welcome.

You didn't actually answer the question, so I probably should ignore yours... but since I know you have trouble with this stuff.

There are a lot of different metrics that have been tried in terms of measuring happiness, but none of them that I've ever seen place the US above Europe as a whole (although the US does rank above some eastern european countries).

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/04/06/where-are-the-worlds-happiest-countries/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/christo.../the-worlds-happiest-and-saddest-countries-2/

http://www.happyplanetindex.org/data/

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/lif_hap_net-lifestyle-happiness-net

You're welcome.

And I'm sure that you can somehow find a way to blame the low rank on Obama somehow... It will just take a little creativity.

And I'm sure that you can somehow find a way to blame the low rank on Obama somehow... It will just take a little creativity.

I dunno, B-co has been in a bit of a slump of late....he might have to sub in Landslider, who has been doing the lion's share of the "Blame Every Fucking Thing Wrong In America On Obama™" chores lately.

7.3% unemployment and falling doesn't mean we're now Europe.

Childish to discuss contemporary unemployment with a view toward blaming this or that transitory politician.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

You just keep on trying to find that black lining in every silver cloud.....and we'll keep on laughing at your attempts.

America will survive even you.

Investing is an inherently optimistic endeavor.

Whether Ford is president, or Carter, or Obama, it is necessary to adapt and seek to overcome.

It is important to know what real unemployment is, and now in America it is nearly 14 percent.

But it is childish to commit the post hoc fallacy.

Investing is an inherently optimistic endeavor.

Whether Ford is president, or Carter, or Obama, it is necessary to adapt and seek to overcome.

It is important to know what real unemployment is, and now in America it is nearly 14 percent.

But it is childish to commit the post hoc fallacy.

What's childish is to stick your head in the sand and pretend that we didn't have two recessions under Reagan, and that Bush didn't cause the last one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back