What Are You Listening To Now? 6.0

Copy one, that.

You'll be interested in this (and the only one here who will have a clue what I'm on about) - I've just finished testing a White Powrtron - a curiosity build with both voltage and current feedback. Will plug it in tonight, see how well it controls my open baffles.

Hiya EB. Great segue from Jack to Stan. ;)

[GEEK]
I have not listened to the POWRTRON amplifier. Having both voltage and current feedback allows the POWER to the loudspeaker to be controlled. Let us know how you like it.

Back in the day we had loudspeakers from Altec Lansing, Advent and Tannoy. My favorite amplifiers were a Dynaco ST-70 and a pair of McIntosh MC-30. A buddy had expensive Magnepans and Phase Linear. It didn't sound as good to my ears.

Pink Floyd + aquarium + neon tetras + black light + Mary Jane = mind blown :D
[/GEEK]

Freeway Jam - Jeff Beck

ETA: I have a Maggie 8802 on my bench waiting for time to restore. I traded a matched set of JAN Philips 7581A for it.

Last edited:
ETA: I have a Maggie 8802 on my bench waiting for time to restore. I traded a matched set of JAN Philips 7581A for it.

Good trade. Maggie's are insane, especially the stereo ones where the vibrato can be put out of phase - the room doesn't stay still.

The powrtron - tightens up the bass really well. Kick drum in the guts. Inky blackness too - but I might reduce the voltage feedback a bit - give it back some sparkle in the highs. It's automatic toe tap though, especially with vinyl.

Hiya EB. Great segue from Jack to Stan. ;)

[GEEK]
I have not listened to the POWRTRON amplifier. Having both voltage and current feedback allows the POWER to the loudspeaker to be controlled. Let us know how you like it.

Back in the day we had loudspeakers from Altec Lansing, Advent and Tannoy. My favorite amplifiers were a Dynaco ST-70 and a pair of McIntosh MC-30. A buddy had expensive Magnepans and Phase Linear. It didn't sound as good to my ears.

Pink Floyd + aquarium + neon tetras + black light + Mary Jane = mind blown :D
[/GEEK]

Freeway Jam - Jeff Beck

Did you ever try a QUAD Amplifier ?

Did you ever try a QUAD Amplifier ?

No - the output transformers with their cathode winding taps are no longer wound. Besides, if I was to go down that path I'd do it like MacIntosh or AWA did it - cathode and screen cross coupled. But it's overelaborate for the same result. You can't beat pure triode or triode wired pentodes. EL34 were designed with triode in mind.

Yukon — Lindemann

on deck:

Pretty — Kidneythieves

Hell is for Children — Pat Benatar

Good Day — The Dresden Dolls

on deck:

Everyday is Exactly the Same — Nine Inch Nails
The Nobodies — Marilyn Manson

Back