NaNoWriMo is coming...

I'm a day behind (two if you count today, but today is not over!) but planning to make it up in the next few days. I also need to carve out some time to finish my FAWC 3 story. Children? What children? ;)

I'm slipping.

A long Opera performance yesterday evening, a council meeting tonight, and grandchildren during both days.

Before the council meeting because it was Guy Fawkes I lit the fireworks for the grandchildren. I attended the meeting smelling of gunpowder.

Using a free, online counter I have 11,147
Adding up the daily work, I have 9,884

What's up with that?

I threw out the story I was working on. It just didn't work.

I started a new story with a much better plot. I spent several days working on an outline, which I add to as I go along. I finally started writing earlier today and wrote 3,200 words, which is a lot for me. I'm using Page Four. It's useful for keeping notes, the outline, character bios, research, and the story all in one place.

I'm so far behind! But I'm hoping to catch up over the next week. I really wanted to finish my FAWC story, so at least I was writing. Can I add that story to my word count? :)

I went away on the Nano writers retreat this past weekend, 3.5 days of consistent writing and word wars really moves your word count along hugely I would recommend it to anyone. :)

Way ahead on my Nano word count and managed to write a small story for the latest Fawc and get it in on time. I never could have done that if I were writing at home.

:(

This is the first year I'm working with an outline, so far, I am in 17429 words in.

Good for you. :)

It's just frustrating. Every time I think I will have time to write, something pops up to fill the time. I was hoping with Penngirl in school for the mornings this year, I could get stuff done, but damn. It's like that rule about gases expanding to fill up the container their in. Things keep expanding into that "bubble" I'd hoped to use for writing.

It's just frustrating. Every time I think I will have time to write, something pops up to fill the time. I was hoping with Penngirl in school for the mornings this year, I could get stuff done, but damn. It's like that rule about gases expanding to fill up the container their in. Things keep expanding into that "bubble" I'd hoped to use for writing.

I know the feeling. This is actually the first November I have time to write, usually it's filled with work

BY0bQq1IIAA1cE8.jpg:large

I have the same thing. Today it was my son. He needed a ride home after the water pump went out on his truck. Saturday it was a wedding shower I forgot about. This weekend is family pictures. It never stops.

I have the same thing. Today it was my son. He needed a ride home after the water pump went out on his truck. Saturday it was a wedding shower I forgot about. This weekend is family pictures. It never stops.

Ditto here. I thought I'd have the whole weekend. Six hours spent shopping, sewing, and dealing with Senior pictures for my daughter. Editing her essays and Resume for her college admissions, (8 essays so far!) must be another 10 hours. This is driving me crazy.

I'm at 19K words, but thought I'd be halfway done by the end of the weekend. At least 90% of my research and outline are done.

Keep plugging away all, we can do this. :D

Ditto here. I thought I'd have the whole weekend. Six hours spent shopping, sewing, and dealing with Senior pictures for my daughter. Editing her essays and Resume for her college admissions, (8 essays so far!) must be another 10 hours. This is driving me crazy.

I'm at 19K words, but thought I'd be halfway done by the end of the weekend. At least 90% of my research and outline are done.

Keep plugging away all, we can do this. :D

Lots of time left. :)

I haven't formally entered NaNo, but I have been using November to complete stalled stories and write new ones.

Word count so far is about 23,000 new words since the start of November. I have completed one long stalled story, written a brand new one, and I am well on the way with one started in 2008. That one is now three times as long as it was when I filed it 5 years ago.

It now has a changed title, a different ending, and an altered plot. :rolleyes:

I was way behind, and still thought maybe I could still finish. Then a friend calls today with an offer of a paying gig. Damn. Can't really say no, I'm writing a novel, now can I?

So, I definitely won't finish, but I will keep plugging away at it. Maybe a couple of hundred words a day to warm for writing about cabinets or some such. :rolleyes:

Ah well. Writer's write, and I will continue to do so.

So, I definitely won't finish, but I will keep plugging away at it. Maybe a couple of hundred words a day to warm for writing about cabinets or some such. :rolleyes:

Ah well. Writer's write, and I will continue to do so.

I think the best way to treat NaNoWriMo, if you are an established writer, is to see it as a tool, an inspiration, not a challenge.

If NaNo means you write more, or return to writing after a break, then you have gained something from it, even if you don't complete 50,000 words in November.

But remember that NaNoWriMo costs money to run. If you can afford it, please donate.

Last edited:
I have just hit the submit button for a new Tripletit story written in November. I have already submitted a long outstanding one which I completed this month.

The new story is 3,700 words, so my total towards NaNo is now 26,700.

I might not be formally competing, but NaNo has kick-started some more writing.

Another story, or at least part two of a story, completed and submitted.

2,300 new words added to an old, now revised and extended, draft.

Total for November: 29,000

Three stories are now pending.

Ogg, I like your idea of using NaNo, and even November, as a kick start to writing more. I may institute a monthly writing goal, to keep me motivated to keep writing. Especially on the longer, unfinished projects I have going.

What would be a good word count goal for each month? 50,000 seems maybe a touch high, but maybe 1,000 words per day? Hmmmm ...

Another story, or at least part two of a story, completed and submitted.

2,300 new words added to an old, now revised and extended, draft.

Total for November: 29,000

Three stories are now pending.

Congrats on the progress.

I added some to my count yesterday but the total is still sad. I doubt I'll make the 50k . . . but I'm OK with that.

Ogg, I like your idea of using NaNo, and even November, as a kick start to writing more. I may institute a monthly writing goal, to keep me motivated to keep writing. Especially on the longer, unfinished projects I have going.

What would be a good word count goal for each month? 50,000 seems maybe a touch high, but maybe 1,000 words per day? Hmmmm ...

Set that number to something comfortable for you, not to what someone else thinks it should be. :)

hit 15k words today. I did 5000 yesterday. getting distracted by reading lit again... came off the pill so suddenly want sex ALL THE TIME. doesnt bode well for actually getting words down. my non-sexual gritty teen based romance suddenly ended up with a 4000 word noncon scene which i had to copy and paste to a new document. Had to blow off some writing steam. having ridiculous dreams that are in my head all day.

for the love of god. this is not constructive to nano!

I hit 26K yesterday. Today, I'm moving slowly, having been cornered by the Better Half.

at least you are/almost are on track. Im 10k behind! im starting to worry but i know i can write that on a good day... i just hope i dont leave it too late to catch up.

impressed ^_^

Back