Getting into trouble at work?

GingerFireFly

Really Experienced
Joined
Jun 2, 2016
Posts
290
If I have an IT department that is generally not nosey and doesn't bust people for things, (I'm sure I'm HR) how likely are they to stumble across me being on here or doing submissions on my work lap top? Anything I can do to minimize the chances of it being a problem?
 
Yes, get your own computer and don't do shit like that at work.

No matter what you think, or think you know, we(IT peeps) know what you're doing at all times. We may not care, but someone up the food chain might. They might read a report they never read before and see you going to Lit. and they maybe a religious fanatic...Busted.

Get your own computer. Install a Tor browser. Learn to use it. Also invest in a VPN. Once connected it's almost impossible to see what you are doing on the net. You also might want to use a proxy server.

The best way to keep the work place from seeing what you do is to not do any of it from the work place.

As for using your work laptop...if you do it from home...no problem, just delete your history...all your history before hooking up to the work network.

In most cases the IT department doesn't give a crap where you go on the net, except that the resource is being provided by the company and you should be doing company business, not up loading or browsing a porn site.
 
If I have an IT department that is generally not nosey and doesn't bust people for things, (I'm sure I'm HR) how likely are they to stumble across me being on here or doing submissions on my work lap top? Anything I can do to minimize the chances of it being a problem?

I agree with what Zeb_Carter said. If the work laptop you use at work was given to you by your employer, don't even think about putting your stories or other racy material from the 'net on it.

I worked in IT for many years and we didn't actively look for porn, but our employer had a policy that if we found porn and didn't report it, we could be fired along with the person who had it on their computer. So when a person brought their laptop in because it wasn't working, and we discovered a porn file--'BUSTED.' I wasn't willing to lose my job over someone else's stupidity.

JUST DON'T DO IT! Purchase your own computer and do whatever the hell you want to do with it, but don't tempt fate. Even if you're smart and use TOR or encryption or something else to mask your activities, there will be a time when you forget or a hardware failure brings your laptop to someone's attention. At that point, it's goodbye job. :(
 
Seconding Zeb's advice. Though if you're doing it from your own laptop and not through your work connection, you probably don't also need Tor/VPN to cover you from your employer; that's more about protection from other snoopers.

If your employer issues laptops it's likely that they have some sort of policy on what's acceptable personal use, and it's very unlikely that porn falls under that heading. Like PFC suggests, even if IT don't want to find your porn, it can happen just by accident. Your laptop freezes up when you're halfway through writing a smutty story, and when Helpful IT Person fixes it, your story auto-opens... etc. etc.
 
Anything "naughty" should never be stored on your computer.

Put it on an external encrypted drive (bitlocker is easy to use, and unless you are trying to hide things from the NSA or the Russian mafia it should be enough, as long as you use a reasonable password).

In that way, when you hand in your computer for repair or someone else is using it for a presentation or whatever, your personal files will remain with you.


If it is private, then stay in control of it.
If it is also dear/important; have an extra encrypted copy in a physically different location.
 
Denny---<-----that's me! The male half

Anything "naughty" should never be stored on your computer.
Denny------------- If i removed everything naughty from this tower set up I'd have 99 44/100% of my hard drive and storage back.:)
 
Denny------------- If i removed everything naughty from this tower set up I'd have 99 44/100% of my hard drive and storage back.:)

You could encrypt your hard drive.

(Unless you really want the poor young nerd at the computershop to spend the next couple of days hiding under his desk :D )
 
Denny------------- If i removed everything naughty from this tower set up I'd have 99 44/100% of my hard drive and storage back.:)

But, is that tower a personal computer, which mean you have absolutely nothing to worry about from an employer, or is it a company device?

In your case, it's yours...no worries. You may want to copy some personally dear items to a flash drive or external hard drive to keep them safe. Large Flash Drives are getting very cheap.
 
Denny---<-----that's me! The male half

You could encrypt your hard drive.

(Unless you really want the poor young nerd at the computershop to spend the next couple of days hiding under his desk :D )
Denny------------ All I'm worried about right now is if my computer switches to Win 10 while I'm not looking will I still have Win WORD? All of my stories and future stories are on WORD.


So far the son that lives near has gotten my computer going when it got sick.
I also have a perverted computer friend who loves to play with my computer and my wife if things get too bad................ with the computer.
 
But, is that tower a personal computer, which mean you have absolutely nothing to worry about from an employer, or is it a company device?

In your case, it's yours...no worries. You may want to copy some personally dear items to a flash drive or external hard drive to keep them safe. Large Flash Drives are getting very cheap.
Denny--------------- I keep forgetting to buy an external hard drive. I'll remember when this one crashes!

Yes It's my only computer right in the living room for God, my wife, and everyone to see. When a car pulls up I read Yahoo Mail!
Our youngest son lived with us until recently so I even have a password to turn it on and everywhere else I go in it.
Still the more I learn the easier things seem to be to find. I can't spend all my time clearing my history and all of that.

As far as work, i was actually leaning to do my job on a computer when I decided driving a company truck would be more fun. I retired 23 years ago June 1st so no worries.

I'm just glad we don't get on those porn sites like all of my friends!:rolleyes:
 
There are 2 issues with an employee using company computers for adult internet activities:

1. Liability. This is more of a problem for someone who uses company computers to view porn. They open themselves up to a lawsuit by anyone else who may accidentally see an explicit photo. They may then be sued for sexual harassment or a hostile workplace environment if they don't fire you if they know about it.

2. Wasting time: If you are simply using an adult forum, then they can make the case that you are using company property improperly, and that you are doing it on company time. If you look at a weather site, you might legitimately make the case that needed to do that for logistical planning... (Do you need to pick up your kid if the baseball practice gets rained out?) However, viewing adult forums is purely wasting time on company time (unless maybe it's during lunch).

Even if you use your own phone to access adult site, they may still know that someone is using their internet access during work hours for goofing off. They'd only know if you were using their Wifi, and they wouldn't know if you were using a cellular connection.
 
Almost all of the workplaces I know filter internet traffic, and porn sites are not available. The last place I worked had a "dirty connection" available to get to sites that were filtered. As an example, I needed access to the site of Trinity Metals, which was filtered because the filter bot thought it might be religious. The http requests still went through a company server and were logged.

Bread crumbs of porn and anywhere else you've been can be found on your laptop even if you delete your history, cache and temporary files. The best advice is to not use a company computer or internet connection for anything you don't want them to see.
 
If I have an IT department that is generally not nosey and doesn't bust people for things, (I'm sure I'm HR) how likely are they to stumble across me being on here or doing submissions on my work lap top? Anything I can do to minimize the chances of it being a problem?

Very bad idea to go on a porn board from a work computer
 
Yes, get your own computer and don't do shit like that at work.
.

Yep.

I remember those crazy days when my cunt took over my brain. A co-worker caught me using messenger, chatting dirty. (In hindsight, really? Why was messenger even on my work computer?)

I thought I was a pretty good multi-tasker, able to take customer calls and chat on yahoo about how awesome it was to gag on cock.

She came in to my space. Not sure how much she read. I'd love to say this turned in to an awesome story where we went out for drinks after work to discuss and make out... but nothing really happened. Instead, it was this weird thing looming over my head for a while.

Lesson learned.

Use your phone if your cunt just won't leave you alone and you must post some amazing thing here on Lit.
 
Some good advices given by Zeb and others.
Almost all companies nowadays employ filtering and other tools in their company-owned programs to prevent employees from accessing unwanted sites -whether it is for liability issue or just company rules.

Use common-sense rule: Company issued hardware/software should only be used for company business, period.
 
One more thing to add to Zeb's advice: even if you work from home and vpn to your company's network. refrain from accessing company prohibited sites.
 
(In hindsight, really? Why was messenger even on my work computer?)

Years ago, messenger used to be packaged with the operating system and many companies didn't bother disabling it. that being said, having available does not make it right to use it for personal plasure when on company time :D
 
Doesn't matter.

Youre co-workers get your passwords from the boss, and use them for porn and gambling when you aint around. My bosses always kept lists of passwords to do shit to files when I was on vacation or whatever.

If you get caught say SOMEONE GOT MY PASSWORD.
 
They can easily find out as you are on their server and there is nothing you can do to prevent them from finding out.:devil::devil:
 
They can easily find out as you are on their server and there is nothing you can do to prevent them from finding out.:devil::devil:

All they know is your password accessed the server at a particular location.

Last time I checked every McDonalds manager steals money from the cashiers, ditto WALMART.
 
Doesn't matter.

Youre co-workers get your passwords from the boss, and use them for porn and gambling when you aint around. My bosses always kept lists of passwords to do shit to files when I was on vacation or whatever.

If you get caught say SOMEONE GOT MY PASSWORD.

My boss never, ever had my password to the company computer, which was also my password to the company network.
 
One more thing to add to Zeb's advice: even if you work from home and vpn to your company's network. refrain from accessing company prohibited sites.

That depends...on how you connect to the company network and what you do and how you do it...

I worked from home for four years. I used a combination of company hardware and personal hardware. I did VPN into the company VPN server, but connected to my desktop computer at my desk in the office. The only data transferred from the computer in my home to the one at work was the databits to the terminal software on the desktop in the office. The desktop in the office did all the work and just sent updates to the screen display.
 
Just to add my two cents....

As many others have stated, your IT dept. will be able to see nearly any site you go to while using a company computer. Also, if you use a company computer at home my company has tracking tools that monitor the sites people go to wherever the computer is. We get alerts for certain types of sites (porn being one of them) and have to inform people to stop doing that with work property....it's always uncomfortable and the person usually says something like...oh it must have been my kid (lies). Generally no one else but us sees these reports but every once in awhile they make their way onto a VP's (or higher) desk.

Even if you bring in your own device but use the company network/wifi....we can still monitor that.

My advice....don't do it at work (or with work property) unless you're using your own device and your cellular connection.
 
Everyone is pretty much giving the same advice. Here is my two cents worth...
There are two ways to detect NSFW (Not safe for work) Activities - Network traffic and files on your computer.

Not too much you can do about your network useage statistics. They are there and they are persistent with law requiring these to be kept for at least 5 years. That is a requirement for both your office and ISP. TOR browsing will prevent admins from finding out where you have been - but will alert a persistent/overzealous admin to go sniffing around your PC.

Your PC usage leave all sorts of footprints in your system - even if you use incognito or 'in private' browsing.

My advise is to get or set up a virtual machine on your laptop using HyperV or VMware and only use this from a home or public network. Use this VM for all your dubious activities. Just password protect the shit out of it and store it on an external drive if possible. This will not leave undesirable files on your PC. Sure, your network use will still be tracked somewhere - along with millions of other citizens so nobody is likely to come knocking on your door - unless you pledge undying support or ISIS or something equally stupid.
 
Back
Top