History Replayed

She looked at him, then looked at his hand, then back to him searching his eyes. "arm?" she was offering a compromise. Adjusting his stance he gave her his arm, in which she took. It was actually more intimate then the hand. But it also gave her a sense of security that she was hanging on to, not being hanged on to.

Once they arrived to the flat he walked her up and they stepped inside. Have a seat she pointed to the over stuffed couch and went to her room to change back into her shorts and oversized sweatshirt.

When she came out she brought with her a folder. "Do you want some wine or something? she asked placing the accordion folder on the couch and she went and grabbed a bottle of tequila. Sitting on the opposite side of the couch she sat facing him with her legs crossed indian style and back against the couch. Taking a swig out of the bottle she began.

"I went to Northwestern on full scholarship as a lit major, with a minor in journalism. I have always had the gift of learning quickly. I only really had to hear something once and I got it. My counselor talked me into being a tutor. Said it was a great way to earn extra money without having to have regular hours as a part time job."

She took another swig of tequilla.

"When my parents were alive they gave me stories of how they met, and how he was the only man she'd ever been with intimately. It was like hearing stories of fiction. Probably why I chose literature, I love reading those girly classic romance novels.

So anyway, That's how I met Colten Cabodo Jr., I'm sure you recognize the name, he's the son of the Mob boss. I didn't know anything about that then. Who he was, or who his family was etc. He was just a football player that needed help with his interpretation of English lit. He was quite handsome and charming, and all the girls sought to have him. By have him, I mean be his latest fuck conquest. It was evidently suppose to be an honor to be chosen."

She took another swig out of the bottle and then another for good measure. One thing led to another and we started dating. At first he was a gentlemen but it didn't take long for him to get bored with that. He started to try to push me past where I wanted to go. I have never had a problem speaking my mind. I didn't like to be pressured into anything. It didn't take long for me to tell him I didn't want to see him anymore.

Till then I hadn't seen a violent side of him. But he evidently didn't like being told no. For ..." she stopped and took a long swig of the tequila and took a few deep breaths.

"For Five days he held me captive in a cellar in a cabin. He tortured me, choked me, beat me, tied me up, and starved me in every effort to get me to submit and to beg him to fuck me." Tears started to fall from her eyes as she grabbed at herself in order to calm down to continue.

"I was too stubborn to submit, and he had left the knife to close to me when he left from his day of torture. I managed to escape. I found my way to the highway and someone stopped and the police and an ambulance were called." She took a deep drink, and then ran to the bathroom where she threw up. Eventually she came back out a bit calmer and got back in the same position.

"I did everything I was suppose to. I testified at his trial, I got a restraining order, I filed a report with campus, and he only got a month in jail."

When he got out, he stalked me. But I went everywhere with security. After graduation I got my dream job as an assistant to a editor at a publishing house. That lasted a week and I was fired. No matter where i went to work, the same thing kept happening. Then he grabbed me off the street. All I had to do to make it stop was sleep with him."

So obviously I said "fuck you, no". This has been my life. I tried dating, but he put the guy in the hospital, paid another one off. No matter what I did, or where I went, he finds me. So I disappeared. I changed my hair, I went off the grid as much as i could. I don't have any family so I have no where to run to. I can't get the paper to give me a job traveling. I am just waiting for the inevitable."
 
Allen thought, "fuck, little colt?"

That certainly complicated matters a great deal. He did not own the crime family and those that did were very protective of them. His mind raced as Allen tried to think of scenarios where he might be able to extricate J from the Cabodo family.

He looked at her and said, "My dear, you certainly know how to pick them, don't you?" He smiled and continued, "I will talk to some associates and see if something can be worked out so that you may live without fear."

He looked around and shrugged, "Or come live with me. He would not dare approach you then. "
 
J looked at him like he had three heads. "Just have one of your associates speak to him, are you insane? If you get involved in this you would be putting everything you worked for at risk. Your safest bet to forget that you met me and go on with your life. I will find a way to survive."

She ignored the move in part, he had to be just grasping. They'd only ever seen each other twice.
 
He shook his head, "No."

He leaned back in the chair and crossed his legs. "You will not be safe in Chicago on your own. I do not wish to see you leave, so the only option is to deal with little Colt."

His eyes focused on hers, holding her attention. "Little Colt is not known for his lucid reasoning ability, so it is with Big Colt I will deal."

"Which brings me back to you living with me. As inconvenient as it would be for you, your presence at my residence will slow them down. They won't attack you as long as they perceive you are with me."
 
Her mind wandered over the word perceive. So what he was offering was a roommate situation. "I would have my own room?" she asked to be double sure of his meaning. "You will not put yourself at any unnecessary risk?" she questioned wanting to be sure that he wasn't going to do anything rash that would cause him to get hurt physically or otherwise.
"You will also let me pay rent, though I can't afford more then I pay here."
 
Allen smiled, he had won the fight of her moving in easily. Now it was down to negotiating.

"Consider the rent as recompense for the branding idea."

He straightened hisnslack crease, "otherwise yes in regard to the room. I never take unnecessary risks."

He looked at her door and said, "Excuse me, I must get the door."

He stood and before the first step and loud hard knock boomed through the apartment.

Opening the door, Allen said, "Hello Christopher."

The man at the door looked past Allen at J and back to Allen. Allen said, "Merely visiting a friend. I shall leave soon, no harm nor foul done or intended."

Christopher scaled, "Fifteen minutes, one second more and I will rain hell on you."

Allen nodded and closed the door. He turned to J, "I do not have time to explain that conversation right now, time is short. Come, stay with me, and I will explain."
 
She was about to argue about the rent, when he interrupted saying he had to get the door. The knock startled her and her first thought was that he found her.

Allen opened the door and exchanged words and then closed it. "I can't leave now, I have to pack my things." The look however on Allens face told her it was important that she go with him. She then added. "Okay, Let me get a couple suitcases packed at least."

She got up off the couch and walked into her room pulling out a couple large suitcases and started tossing the contents of her closet and bedroom into them. A quick trip to the bathroom for her toothbrush and a few personal items and she was back in the living room.

"Could you grab the laptop and the satchel please"

She locked the door behind them and followed him down the stairs. Shoving her bags in the truck they got into the car and were headed to his home. "What was that about? She asked after a moment of silence.
 
Allen was grateful that J put up little to no resistance regarding leaving in a timely manner. He could feel Christopher's presence following them as they took the fastest path into friendlier territory.

J's question was not unanticipated when she finally asked it.

He glanced at her, "I belong to an association that is not too unlike that of a trade guild, or some would say crime family I guess."

He turned toward her and continued, "As part of that association we have certain boundaries by which we must abide. Your domicile is well within Christopher's boss's territory. In fact they could have, if they so chose, to interpret my being there as an act of aggression."

As they left the warlock territory Allen felt Christopher falling further behind. "It is because I have not been in their area before and you obviously live there, that made Christopher accept the truth as that."

He gave her a rueful smile, "It also unfortunately alerts them that I have a person of interest that lives in their dominion. To what end they may use that information, I cannot imagine at the moment, but, it is fair to say, I have complicated your life a little."
 
"what happened to never taking unnecessary risks?" she said lightly turning her head toward him. "You knew this before you even picked me up for our date did you not?"

"I have a little money, I'll hire some packers and movers to collect my things so you don't feel the need to go back to that neighborhood.

"Or I can just disappear again. That way your life doesn't have to be affected at all. You hardly know me Allen. You don't owe me anything. What kind of relationship could we possibly have with all of my issues? Let me go and i'll disappear it will solve everything."

Her eyes pleaded with him for his own safety. "Or lets go away somewhere for a month."
 
If he had one, Allen was sure his heart would have broken for her at that moment. "My sweet J," he whispered softly. "I am in no more danger than I was this time yesterday. I can handle both my problems with my associates, and work on your problem with Little Colt."

He patted her arm, "They are more closely linked than you might have imagined."

This time he did not immediately remove his hand, leaving it there a second before withdrawing it. "I would ask that you not disappear, for I believe my time will be greatly refreshed by you. But I shall not stop you, or chase after if you so choose."

He watched the road ahead of them for a minute, "Besides, the fun between us is just beginning."
 
She listened as he spoke and looked at his hand as he lied it upon her then removed it. It was a conflict within her that he wouldn't chase after her. Of course he wouldn't not with what she had been through. But his words were enough.

His smile alone was enough to melt an ice burg. "Okay" she said softly. "We'll try it your way. Do you think I should get a new alias before your association rivals or whatever discover my current identity?"

Over the past few years she had gotten good and changing her identity and looks to blend in. But that wasn't a life Allen could do. He was too connected in too many levels of the circle.

"I still think we should go away for a month" she said with a smirk trying to lighten up the conversation.
 
He gave her a heated grin and said, "Last time I went away for a month, I came back with a childe, not sure you are ready for that yet."

He looked at his driver, "Arlington Heights."

He turned back to J and said, I have a friend that can help with the new identity. It will be a legal I'D and all."
 
"oh" she said. Of course he had a life before he met her. If he sired a child and brought it back, or adopted one that was just part of who he was. With everything she brought to the table, this wasn't even an issue.

"Fancy" she replied with a light smile regarding the legal ID. Arlington heights was a suburb of Chicago. She was surprised he didn't live closer to his club. Or perhaps that was where the ID person was. She wasn't sure. It didn't matter.

Then it dawned on her she was going to have to get a new job. It was a shame she somewhat liked that one. If he was ok with it, maybe she could try her hand at writing a book rather then getting a new job right away. When they got to his house and settled in, she would broach the subject. She closed her eyes for a moment.

The car stopped and she opened them to find herself leaning against him and grabbing his arm. Evidently her subconscious trusted him. "sorry" she said a little embarrassed as she let him go and sat up. "where are we?" she questioned still gathering her bearings.
 
J apparently fell asleep and leaned on Allen as she did. He could hear her heart beat and it slow as she fell deeper and deeper into a dreamless sleep. He sat there enjoying the heat of her body as he soaked it in through his jacket. It was pleasurable enough that he almost ordered the driver to take the long way home, by way of Madison. Though that would cause it's own issues.

As they pulled up, she woke. "This is my home, or rather one of them. But it is the safest house by far. No one can get to you here."

He opened the door and held it for her. "Welcome home J."

He walked toward the door and opened it, allowing her to go first. "Your bedroom will be this way. He led her to a suite of rooms, that contained a bed area, a sitting area, a work area, a walk in closet, and a full bath, with a tub large enough for three.

He touched the small of her back to usher her into the room, and said, "This is yours as long as you want it."
 
The room that he ushered her in to was almost as large as her whole flat. "it's so quiet here" she said lightly as she walked inside taking it all in. "I don't know how to thank you Allen" she said softly as she turned to look at him.

"I sometimes wake in the night from nightmares, I hope I don't wake your child." she said thoughtfully.

"I should have probably asked if you have a wife or girlfriend that might object to me living here."
 
He nodded, "I can imagine you do. And do not worry, my childe has long since moved away. Also, I have never been married."

He thought a moment and said, "Come with me, let me show you something."

He led her to the main study and showed her how to move a bookshelf revealing a steel door. "If you ever feel threatened, go in here, and close the door. I am the only one that has a combination, and it would take hours for anyone to breach the door forcibly. Within you will find everything necessary to stay up to a week.:
 
She followed him closely to the library and was taken back by the amount of books he had. Curiously she watched as he moved the bookshelf and revealed the door to the panic room. "wow, you're like batman" she found herself saying.

"Is there any place that is off limits?, and will you give me a tour?, Where do you sleep?, Do I need to worry about maids or cooks or anyone like that being here? I don't want to go all nuts on them. I guess i'll need to find a new job now that i'm changing my name and everything again." She crinkled her nose a little.

"I think you should pick out my new name" she said with a smirk and a bit of light in her eyes that resembled hope. Something she hadn't felt in a long time.
Her fingers began running lightly over the spines of the books he had collected. "May I?" she asked hoping to read a book on the monarchy.
 
Allen smiled at the rapid fire questions and said, "Taking the questions in no particular order:

"Yes, there are areas that are off limits, and those will be locked. One such area is my bedroom, which is in the basement. The basement in it's entirety is off limits. As is any drawer or cabinet that is locked."

He waved his hands, "Otherwise the house is yours to explore and enjoy. The important tour has been done already, your bed room and the library. All of the books here are for you to read if you so wish, though the vast majority are not in English. There are numerous tomes in French, German, a handful in Latin, and some more in Aramaic. Over there are some in Spanish."

He paused a moment, his voice drifting, "A name..." A light flashed and he said, "How about something terribly mundane, such as Shelly Anne Freund. Safe for short."

"Yes, there will be a cook and a maid, they come in every morning at 9:00 AM and leave before sunset. So they work less hours in the winter, more in the summer. The cook is Angela Ritter, the maid is Ericka Gerhard."

He sat in one of the over stuffed chairs and pointed at the chair opposite him. "Now for a job, what would you like to do?"
 
She sat down in the chair and looked at him contorting her face as she thought about it. "Ultimately I would like to write, but that's not going to bring in any income so that I can get back on my feet and get out of your hair. My school credentials will have to be created again i suppose with my new name. Creating your sign was pretty fun, maybe I can do something like that."

"I know that you said that you want me here. But I feel like i'd be cramping your lifestyle. Are you sure that this is ok? and Do you have a pool?" she grinned.
 
Allen shook his head, "Sorry, no pool, swimming was not an exercise I particularly enjoyed. I am not even sure where the community pool is, if you were inclined to use it. "

He stood and poured her a drink and handed it to her. "As to you being an inconvenience, if it happens I will tell you."

He looked a thousand miles away, then nodded to himself. Why don't you work part time for bloodtastic, a social media person. I am told that it is cost effective marketing. "
 
She smiled "Okay, i'll accept that you will tell me and let it go." J adjusted her sitting in the chair and listened to his comment about no pool" she nodded.

"no community pool is not a me thing. People and everything. It's suppose to be good therapy in helping me release some of the jumbled thoughts that get in my head. It's a shame you don't care for it, i would have liked to swim with you. Trust building exercises and such.

If that is something you're interested in, I could look for something that we might both enjoy?"

"I would love to try my hand at social media marketing thank you for thinking of me, perhaps if you're impressed I can manage your other business' social media. Every business should have one in this day and age. If you're in need of a secretary or something else as well, i'll be happy to help you."
 
"I do not have a particular interest in swimming, though we could always find some other activity to do together. So you sing or play a musical instrument? I do enjoy listening to people play, and I can play a little on a piano."

He thought a moment and said, "As appealing as someone as beautiful as you as my personnel assistant, I have someone that fills that role, and has done so for many years, it would be rather uncouth to displace her like that."

He looked at the bookshelf for a moment and finished, "After we see how you handle bloodtastic we can talk about the other outlets. Some already have a social media person, but combining them into one team probably is not a bad idea."
 
"Of course not, i didn't know you already had a personal assistant. Of course we'll take it one step at a time and see what happens. I'll probably need to go with you to the club a few times a week."

J let out a little chuckle when he asked if she played or sang. "I have absolutely no ability to carry a tune. One day you may have the misfortune of hearing me. I have literally caused dogs to howl and cats to scream. I like to sing, I just am not good to hear"
She then added I don't play, but would like to hear you play. What about dancing? Of course my only issue with that is a dance class is a bit too full of people But I have to start somewhere I suppose."
 
Allen looked, "Why of course I dance. I am quite good actually even with the soulless crap that passes for dance now."

He imagine just a moment what it would be like tinhave her in his arms, especially with his fangs in her throat. He barely suppressed the pleasurable shudder that image evoked. "I will start teaching you tomorrow say ballroom dancing. Little Colt would never look for you among a bunch of octogenarian.

He looked at her and asked, "Will you be keeping the hair color?"
 
It took her a moment after he said her ex's name to rejoin their conversation. Her legs tightened and her fingers dug into the chair. "I would hope not" she managed to say placing a small smile on her face.

"My hair, hmm, I think I've been through the rainbow, any particular favorites that stick out for you? I thought about going shorter too. What do you think?" Perhaps it was the way the light hit him, or a combination of his mannerism and looks. But at that moment she saw how truly handsome he was.

"If you would stand and keep your arms to your side I would like to try something" she said feeling a moment of brevity. She watched him rise and smooth out his outfit and stand there. With slow steps she walked forward to him and wrapped her arms around him and hugged him tightly.
 
Back
Top