What words do you hate to hear/see misused?

monoblanco

Really Really Experienced
For example, one of my pet peeves is seeing 'then' instead of 'than'.

And I can't help but cringe when some do-gooder corrects the use of who with whom, incorrectly.

Non-standard words count too. One of my 'favorites' is irregardless.

Full disclosure: I'm working on an absurdist story (not necessarily erotic) where I want to use as many of these as possible. So, help me out?

"Dominate" when used as a personal designator. As in; "Which are you, a submissive, or a Dominate?"

"Dominate" when used as a personal designator. As in; "Which are you, a submissive, or a Dominate?"

Lovely! Obviously, I need to hang out in the BDSM forum more. I've not heard that one before.

Thanks for sharing!

Effect/affect, insure/ensure/assure, your/you're, its/it's.

Tumescent when flaccid is meant.

I just close my eyes and make a stab with who/whom.

I've seen "affluent" and "effluent" mixed up before. It's right up there with the classic "waist" and "waste"

Those are rife with comedy potential -- especially in erotica.

I'll go with effect/affect, and add waist/waste and they're/their/there.

Tumescent when flaccid is meant.

So... word geek alert: but the secondary definition of Tumescent (the first one I learned thanks to Spanish) is Pretentious.

I kinda like the idea of THAT definition of Tumescent being synonymous with flaccid. :)

here/hear

Waste/waist(already mentioned, but man is it a mood killer to find that one! :eek:

I'm a little guilty when it come to your/you're, but my pet peeve is moot/mute.

I don't know how many times I've seen "Well the whole point is mute."

Which could be correct if a mute is the point of the whole thing.

The one that drives me cray because I do it all the time. is...

Thong/thing.

The O/I is next door on the keyboard and I always hit the I by mistake.

My stories always end up with "She pushed her thing over her hips" "She was wearing a hot little red thing"

I see it here and there in other people's stories so I guess I'm not alone, but it is constant with me like some kind of glitch

A few more gems I :heart::

Altogether / All Together

Nauseous / Nauseated

Supposably

"I could care less"

Thong/thing.

My stories always end up with "She pushed her thing over her hips" "She was wearing a hot little red thing"

I see it here and there in other people's stories so I guess I'm not alone, but it is constant with me like some kind of glitch

I feel your pain! Thank you for letting me know I'm not alone.

My fingers are dyslexic sometimes.

Thong/thing.

My problem is of/if. The otter box on my phone pushes my finger from the o to the I. Damn autocorrect doesn't read my mind.

vicious and viscous, as in "they were concerned with the viscous dog.

I really hate "literally" when it is used as: "I literally froze to death." This has now become acceptable, but it will NEVER accept it. :mad:

vicious and viscous, as in "they were concerned with the viscous dog.

I really hate "literally" when it is used as: "I literally froze to death." This has now become acceptable, but it will NEVER accept it. :mad:

I feel the same about "actually"

"he actually got up and left."

For example, one of my pet peeves is seeing 'then' instead of 'than'.
?

I see people write breath/breathe, and cloths/clothes.

In the past, I always mixed up strait/straight.

I'm pretty good at self-editing, but 'then/than' is my kryptonite. :eek:

I have the opposite problem. When I use MATERIEL I do not mean MATERIAL. But editors change materiel to material every time.

ma·te·ri·el or ma·té·ri·el (m -tîr - l ). n. The equipment, apparatus, and supplies of a military force or other organization

I get caught on "lead/led" and a host of similar constructs. "leaned?" "lent?"

I manage to skate past "sink/sank/sunk(en)" but I watch a lot of people go through the metaphorical ice on that one.

Back