At what point do you break an erotica e-book into chapters?

Jessicathe69

Literotica Guru

I've started my first book and it's currently at 5.5k words. I expect it to go to 10-15k at the very least and probably more (and make it into a series of books). Is there a general rule of thumb when it comes to chapterization of an e-book? Say my book goes to 15k, break it down to three chapters at 5k each? Two at 7.5k? No chapters at all?

Just trying to get a feel for what others have done or what you, as both a writer and a reader of erotica, prefer and why.

Thanks in advance!

I've started my first book and it's currently at 5.5k words. I expect it to go to 10-15k at the very least and probably more (and make it into a series of books). Is there a general rule of thumb when it comes to chapterization of an e-book? Say my book goes to 15k, break it down to three chapters at 5k each? Two at 7.5k? No chapters at all?

Just trying to get a feel for what others have done or what you, as both a writer and a reader of erotica, prefer and why.

Thanks in advance!

I've heard 3k was a good length of chapters. On the other hand, I feel like they should be as long as it takes to tell the story.

Are you talking about breaking the story up and posting different parts? Or are you talking about adding chapter organization within a single post?

There is no need to break a story into parts. 15K is only about four Lit pages, and some very successful stories on lit are many times that size.

I find it helps me if I organize a long story into chapters, even if it's all published in a single post. I also hope that helps readers set a long story down and come back to it instead of feeling like they need to skim through it.

For instance, "Love is Enough" (linked in my signature) is all one post and eight pages long, but it's broken internally into twelve numbered chapters. I tried to keep the chapters around the same length, but not all the stories fit that length. Some are longer, some are shorter.

I've heard 3k was a good length of chapters. On the other hand, I feel like they should be as long as it takes to tell the story.

Are you talking about breaking the story up and posting different parts? Or are you talking about adding chapter organization within a single post?

There is no need to break a story into parts. 15K is only about four Lit pages, and some very successful stories on lit are many times that size.

I find it helps me if I organize a long story into chapters, even if it's all published in a single post. I also hope that helps readers set a long story down and come back to it instead of feeling like they need to skim through it.

For instance, "Love is Enough" (linked in my signature) is all one post and eight pages long, but it's broken internally into twelve numbered chapters. I tried to keep the chapters around the same length, but not all the stories fit that length. Some are longer, some are shorter.

Thanks. I probably should have specified I was planning to upload the story to Smashwords as an e-book and maybe Amazon one day, but not here. I'm thinking I'll wind up playing this by ear as I go and find my own style, especially as a final and published e-book. I do like your idea of breaking it into chapters simply as an organizational tool though. I probably need to go break up the current 5.5k into chapters simply to show a break from one scene (no, not a screenplay!) to another.

Thanks again!

It probably depends on why you're breaking the story into chapters. Some authors use chapters to switch from one POV character to another. Others use chapters to separate periods of time or individual scenes. Sometimes each chapter is a story unto itself. In cases like those, word count is probably irrelevant.

Another reason to break a story into chapters is to give readers a stopping point - someplace they can put the book down and come back to it without losing the thread of the story. Usually they end in some kind of cliffhanger. If that's your purpose, then I'd say 7,500 to 10,000 words is about right.

It probably depends on why you're breaking the story into chapters. Some authors use chapters to switch from one POV character to another. Others use chapters to separate periods of time or individual scenes. Sometimes each chapter is a story unto itself. In cases like those, word count is probably irrelevant.

Another reason to break a story into chapters is to give readers a stopping point - someplace they can put the book down and come back to it without losing the thread of the story. Usually they end in some kind of cliffhanger. If that's your purpose, then I'd say 7,500 to 10,000 words is about right.

Thanks. Excellent points. Yes, the "why", as usual, rules the day and it makes perfect sense to use it in this case, too. Like I eluded to earlier, I think periods of times or individual scenes, as you mentioned, will be my guide for now. I have several POV switches in the 5.5k so far that are small paragraphs but I think they're fine without breaks, but I'll keep that in mind as well.

Thanks again!

My long novel The Dark Chronicles is twelve chapters here (103,000 words), but when preparing it for e-book I broke it down to about twenty chapters, so on face value that's 5,000 words per chunk. But I didn't apply any hard rule, just broke it where it made sense to do so. Within chapters I'll often use breaks * * * * within the text - for the reasons Loqui mentions..

Lit "reads" differently to other publishing platforms because of its format, and over time I think most authors here gravitate to thinking in 3,750 word chunks, and work within the Lit "page" for guidance.

But, if you are self-publishing you have more freedom, and I'm not sure there are cookie cutter guidelines which "must" be followed - unless you want to be like everybody else ;).

Also, you might find reedsy.com useful. It has a free compositing tool that prepares all formats ready for publication. I bounced TDC into it and did quite a bit of tidying up and re-formatting in not much time at all. It also sucks in cover art, so its output is publication ready (including print ready).

I use natural breaks in the content/context control where chapter breaks are. Chapters, like the work as a whole, should have arcs with natural breaks by content as much as by wordage. But, yes, 3,000 (more in the era of ebooks) to 5,000 (more in the era of print) are typical chapter lengths.

My long novel The Dark Chronicles is twelve chapters here (103,000 words), but when preparing it for e-book I broke it down to about twenty chapters, so on face value that's 5,000 words per chunk. But I didn't apply any hard rule, just broke it where it made sense to do so. Within chapters I'll often use breaks * * * * within the text - for the reasons Loqui mentions..

Lit "reads" differently to other publishing platforms because of its format, and over time I think most authors here gravitate to thinking in 3,750 word chunks, and work within the Lit "page" for guidance.

But, if you are self-publishing you have more freedom, and I'm not sure there are cookie cutter guidelines which "must" be followed - unless you want to be like everybody else ;).

Also, you might find reedsy.com useful. It has a free compositing tool that prepares all formats ready for publication. I bounced TDC into it and did quite a bit of tidying up and re-formatting in not much time at all. It also sucks in cover art, so its output is publication ready (including print ready).

Thanks! I like the "*****" break and think I may have used them already. They's work great between POVs, too.

I use natural breaks in the content/context control where chapter breaks are. Chapters, like the work as a whole, should have arcs with natural breaks by content as much as by wordage. But, yes, 3,000 (more in the era of ebooks) to 5,000 (more in the era of print) are typical chapter lengths.

Thanks!

Thanks. I probably should have specified I was planning to upload the story to Smashwords as an e-book and maybe Amazon one day, but not here.

You're certainly arrogant enough to be a good writer. Very first book and already thinking of where to publish it, anywhere but here?

Writers are naturally competitive, so don't take it personally.

Are you thinking of "chapters" as separate eBooks, or internal divisions of a single novel.

If you're thinking of "Chapters" the way most mainstream publishers do, insert "Chapter <number>" into the text wherever there is a significant change of scene or time lapse.

If you're thinking of breaking a 15K-word story into multiple Smashwords eBooks, Don't! Maybe if you hit 150K-words, that might be workable, but 15K-words is barely long enough to publish as a "book"

If you're thinking in terms of multiple Smashwords postings, Find or manufacture a logical stopping point (or cliffhanger) somewhere between 50K-words and 100K-words in a longer work of over 100K-words.

Thanks in advance!

Like a few people have said 15k isn't that many words. The last chapter on my latest series was a little over 9000 words and that was chapter 9 so I can only imagine how many words the whole series is already.

For a book published somewhere other than an online setting like here, I can't see anyone paying to read a few hundred or thousand words.

My last published story was 153,000 words long.

The first part I posted was about 41,000 words long.
The Second - sixth parts were about 13,600 words long.
The last part was about 52,000 words long.

I had no complaints from the readers about the length of the parts. In fact most expressed that they liked the way it was posted.

Thanks in advance!

I think that focusing on word count is a bit sterile; your plot/prose should dictate the natural seperation of it into chapters. If you are writing to order (I sometimes do), keep a goal in mind and make sure to form an arc in each chapter so that the rise and fall of it makes sense as opposed to randomly picking a cut off.

That being said, for Lit at least, what I've discovered is that you will get less trolls with a longer chapter/story. I aim to keep my chapters a consistent page count (around 12k-13k words for example). In one of my ongoing stories, the first chapter was about 5k words and is the lowest count/vote rating of them all. Since then it has gotten consistently better and I've had comments stating that readers would read longer chapters if posted.

My longest single post short story is about 45k and has the highest rating of all of my submissions, though not the highest vote count (53). So it seems that if someone is willing to read through the entire deal, about 16 Lit pages, then they most likely have enjoyed the story and will vote accordingly.

All of this assumes you are publishing on Lit and care about ratings, of course.

The story I'm working on today for Monday's contest is into 7600+ words.

3866 first
1005 second
2729 third

The third will probably be another 1500 words by the time the story finishes.

It changes naturally when scenes change, major characters change (POV) or action.

That being said I have 50K + stories with maybe three or four chapters.

Write it the way you want to write it. Numbers don't matter.

The story I'm working on today for Monday's contest is into 7600+ words.

3866 first
1005 second
2729 third

The third will probably be another 1500 words by the time the story finishes.

It changes naturally when scenes change, major characters change (POV) or action.

That being said I have 50K + stories with maybe three or four chapters.

Thanks.

For a book published somewhere other than an online setting like here, I can't see anyone paying to read a few hundred or thousand words.
Those are the bounds. Posting on LIT, length doesn't matter, as long as any submission (except poetry) is 750+ words. But I doubt many 750-word stories would SELL even at a penny each, except to a magazine seeking vignettes. I'm not sure of the current market for Feghoots.

I'll guess that fat books sell better than thin books. More words for the money.

My chapters almost mirror my outline, and I tend to follow two different beat styles for plot structure.

Consequently, my books tend to divide into either 9-12 chapters.

I have never written a story in which the narration's perspective change, but it I put books down if the narration head-hops in the middle of a chapter. So if your story's narration changes from The Heroine, to the Hero, and the back to the Heroine, than definitely needs to be chapter 1, chapter 2, and chapter 3 in at least my case. I'm probably not alone in that.

My chapters almost mirror my outline, and I tend to follow two different beat styles for plot structure.

Consequently, my books tend to divide into either 9-12 chapters.

I have never written a story in which the narration's perspective change, but it I put books down if the narration head-hops in the middle of a chapter. So if your story's narration changes from The Heroine, to the Hero, and the back to the Heroine, than definitely needs to be chapter 1, chapter 2, and chapter 3 in at least my case. I'm probably not alone in that.

Thanks.

One chapter per orgasm. In the story, not the reader.
That produces many many chapters in Group stories. Nineteen multiorgasmic women in an oral daisychain? We will run out of document space.

A chapter is whatever it demands to be. A parallel situation, as described by an old Western humorist who trained as a printer, is:
I never did learn how to spell, – but I did learn the typesetter's rule, – "Set up type as long as you can hold your breath without turning blue in the face, then put in a comma. When you gape, put in a semicolon, and when you want to sneeze, that's the time to make a paragraph."
Hold your breath longer for chapters. Or wait for burps.

Chapters. Basically if you feel as though your story is too long and needs to be broken down. I wouldn't spread it into parts though unless some time between events has taken place. Or well, time and place. Some chapters can be filled with erotic behaviour and some can be pretty thin with it, as long as the story makes sense.

Doctor Johnson the lexicographer boasted that he could recite an entire chapter of

Tilforladerlige eferetninger om Island Natural History of Iceland, published in 1752 in Danish 1758 in English.

Chapter Heading 72 'Concerning Snakes'

"No snakes of any kind are to met with throughout the whole island"

and that's the whole chapter. :)

From the reader perspective-if you look at the main points of the story-big scenes, introduction, conclusion, it’s helpful to break into chapters. Lots of people like to read here and there-and chattering makes that easier.

QUOTE=Jessicathe69;90287571]At what point do you break an erotica e-book into chapters?

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

Back