Sticky: 2013 Survivor Rules and Registration Thread

I'll throw my keyboard into the ring and give this a try. It seems a touch complicated, but being new here, everything is a bit.

MF

I'll throw my keyboard into the ring and give this a try. It seems a touch complicated, but being new here, everything is a bit.

MF

You can enter, and it's really not that complicated. However, you must first anable PRIVATE MESSAGING.

Need Clarity

I just read this:

Multi-chaptered stories are only eligible for the contest if each chapter is at least 3,000 words long.. Stories which are not considered chapters must be completely original and completely independent. Stories can feature recurring characters, they can contain passing references to each other, but they must be entirely, unequivocally, standalone.

So my question is this. If I have uploaded chapters to stories that started last year but are continuing this year. Does each chapter over 3000 words count toward the contest? Or does it have to be a new story altogether?

Please clarify for me.

So my question is this. If I have uploaded chapters to stories that started last year but are continuing this year. Does each chapter over 3000 words count toward the contest? Or does it have to be a new story altogether?

When we voted on allowing chapters it was not brought up or discussed if a story with chapters had to be from start to finish in 2013. It was just that chapters were allowed this year, but had to be a minimum of 3,000 words and posted in 2013. So, technically, it should be allowed to post continuing chapters. However, rule #7 states: "Stories and poems used for points in 2012 may not be used for points in 2013."

So ya, clarification is needed.

I just read this:

Multi-chaptered stories are only eligible for the contest if each chapter is at least 3,000 words long.. Stories which are not considered chapters must be completely original and completely independent. Stories can feature recurring characters, they can contain passing references to each other, but they must be entirely, unequivocally, standalone.

Please clarify for me.

As long as the chapter is new this year, it can be counted this year.

This was the reason for the "No Chapters" rule: A few years ago, people started writing long stories and chopping them up into a multitude of "chapters" which were barely long enough to satisfy the Lit. minimum length requirements. Until then, authors took enough pride in their work they would not have done such a thing.

The rule was intended to discourage that, but really went too far. To use examples I know best, I have several series of stories, such as those about Strider and about the hot blonde student that were mostly separate and standalone stories but about the same characters and set in the same place. These were ruled not eligible for score, even though they were, for the most part, separate stories and of substantial length.

The current rule is a compromise. People can still cut long stories up into segments but, at least, those segments have to be of substantial size. I would have preferred a higher minimum, but 3,000 words was what the majority preferred.

The rule about stories and poems not being counted last year is to stop people from reposting stories this year that were posted in previous years. It would seem to go without saying, but there are some guardhouse lawyers who would try to get away with reposting.

As long as the chapter is new this year, it can be counted this year.

This was the reason for the "No Chapters" rule: A few years ago, people started writing long stories and chopping them up into a multitude of "chapters" which were barely long enough to satisfy the Lit. minimum length requirements. Until then, authors took enough pride in their work they would not have done such a thing.

The rule was intended to discourage that, but really went too far. To use examples I know best, I have several series of stories, such as those about Strider and about the hot blonde student that were mostly separate and standalone stories but about the same characters and set in the same place. These were ruled not eligible for score, even though they were, for the most part, separate stories and of substantial length.

The current rule is a compromise. People can still cut long stories up into segments but, at least, those segments have to be of substantial size. I would have preferred a higher minimum, but 3,000 words was what the majority preferred.

The rule about stories and poems not being counted last year is to stop people from reposting stories this year that were posted in previous years. It would seem to go without saying, but there are some guardhouse lawyers who would try to get away with reposting.

Well this is good news as I have been writing my series as well as doing the survivor stories separately thinking that the chapters wouldn't count at all. All chapters in my series are over 10'000 words so I have no problem with the minimum. Hooray :D

Thanks for pointing this out Vicky and for the clarification Boxlicker :kiss: :heart: :kiss:

Last edited:
Well this is good news as I have been writing my series as well as doing the survivor stories separately thinking that the chapters wouldn't at all. All chapters in my series are over 10'000 words so I have no problem with the minimum. Hooray :D

Thanks for pointing this our Vicky and for the clarification Boxlicker :kiss: :heart: :kiss:

Same here on your entire post and add my hooray as well!

oh good good good

I am glad to know this information. As many of the stories I come up with tend to be on going. I just never want to stop them.

I will check word count but I am sure they are mostly 4K+ so I am good!!!!!!!!!

Being new to Literotica and trying this contest on for size is a bit nerve wrecking but also my blood is pumping to get 'er done!!!!

YAY!

(This is in response to allowing chapters and the clairty given to what chapters are acceptable!)

Last edited:
Back