To Capture a Captain's Heart (closed)

"I know everyone says it, love... but it's going to happen one day. Just not as soon as we'd like. I promise." Christopher sighed and leaned back in his seat. "We'll figure it out someday."
 
"I wish things were different." Kayla confessed. "Everyone else has had an easy time with their families. Durban and Marri hardly knew each other a few days before she was expecting Gabriel. I envy them sometimes."
 
"The only one of your siblings who had the same weight on their shoulders is Brogan. And I remember it took some time with both Cassie and Julia and they both had some complications, the first with Cassie herself, the second with Ciaran being so small. As for Durban and Marri... they took a chance and it paid off. Things like that normally don't happen. We're just going through a bad patch, love. It'll come right."
 
"Not if I'm the one with the problem. Papa doesn't think I can carry a child long enough to bring it here safely." Kayla said as her husband held her tightly. "That's painful to know."
 
"I don't know what else to tell you, love. I don't think you'll take any comfort until you have a baby in your arms."
 
"I'll never let them see my pain but I think you're right." Kayla said softly as as pressed her cheek against his shoulder.
 
The next morning, Brogan came to find Kayla in her study. He knocked lightly on the doorframe before stepping in and taking a seat beside her. "Hiya love," he murmured with a smile.
 
Kayla had been hard at work that morning. Since her family had come, she made it a point to wake early, tend to the business of the country, and then spend as much time as possible with them. Her piles of paperwork was almost finished as she glanced up at the knocking with a smile on her face.

"You have no idea how happy it makes me to have so many familiar faces around." Kayla murmured, offering him a mug of tea as Hrolf slumbered beneath her desk, his tail thumping every so often as she moved.
 
"I've got a pretty good idea," Brogan leaned in to kiss her cheek. "Chris didn' say much in 'is letter, but 'e did say you needed Ma an' Vincenzo most of all. It didn' take much fer us all t'decide to join 'em. An' Ash comin' too was a surprise t'all of us."
 
"Ashien has been having a hard time." Kayla confessed, knowing that she probably talked more to her twin than any of their brothers and sisters did. "He's realized that he has a baby now. A little girl who will have a noble upbringing. I don't think that really dawned on him until she was finally here."

The twins wrote letters nearly every single day to one another, no matter what was going on in their lives. She wrote to her other siblings too, but far less frequently.

"He promised Dylandra a trip away from Darkwood after Ashleigh was born. This just seemed like the best opportunity."
 
"It'll be difficult, but I think tha' little lass'll do him a world o' good. You know 'e had a lot o' problems after th' war... We all did. An' we're all findin' things t'help us be okay again. Fer Ash, it's his little girl." Brogan was similar, in that Kate had been his savior alongside Julia.
 
"I can't believe he had a daughter. Ashien Vincent Ghis doesn't know what to do with little girls." Kayla said with a soft laugh as Brogan confessed that they had all needed help after the horrible war that they had been through.
 
"I don' think any man does," Brogan chuckled warmly, sitting back in his seat. "Gods know I didn' with Annie."
 
"You're a good da, Brogan." Kayla said with a smile. "One of the best that I think I've ever known. She and Kate are lucky little girls and Ciaran is the luckiest little boy."
 
"I do my best, love. But I don' think I'll be able t'hold a candle t'you one day soon." He knew it was a tough subject for her, but he wanted her to know that her family had the utmost confidence that she'd one day hold a baby all her own.
 
Kayla's smile faltered just the slightest bit as Brogan told her that one day it would be her. "And even if it doesn't happen, that's alright too."

"Chris and I might talk about adoption. There are heirs to the throne that would be happy to take it when the time comes." Kayla murmured, not really wanting to think about any of that and the duty that she had to the throne of Norway.
 
Brogan reached out to touch her cheek, and pressed a kiss to her forehead. "I know you don' want to talk about it, Kay. But don' lose hope. Your first try migh' not 'ave ended well, but tha' doesn' mean it'll never 'appen."
 
"Papa said I only have a few chances and they need to count. That frightens me." Kayla confessed, looking at her older brother with worry in her dark eyes. "If I die, I know you'll take care of Chris and any babies I might leave behind. And Ma, most of all. I don't want Ma following me if something bad happens."
 
"You're not leavin' anyone behind, love," Brogan promised her. "But if anythin' ever happens, your side o' the family will always be taken care of." He then sat back, and his voice grew quieter. "I don' know if we told you much back when it 'appened... but when Cassie an' I lost our first, she was petrified. It got even worse after th'healers told 'er she would probably 'ave th'same troubles 'er mother'd had with her an' Sarah. An' it took what felt like forever fer Annie t'come along."
 
"Forever and a day." Kayla said softly, giving her brother a soft smile. "But now you have two beautiful little girls and a strapping little boy. If it never happens for me, it'll be alright. I really mean that. It will hurt, but I'll be alright."
 
"You're gonna be alrigh' love," he murmured with a smile.

Eventually her siblings all gathered to offer her their help and counsel with the troubles that had arisen. Chris hadn't said much about it, but they knew.
 
Kayla worried for her husband. Her family rallied around her, coddling her and giving her advice that she needed. However, Chris had no shoulder to lean on. He was making sure that she was alright, making sure that she wouldn't slip away from him when it was least expected.

Kayla found Ashien later that morning, sitting in the sunlight of the garden with Ashleigh slumbering in his arms. Burke and Dylandra were off spending time together elsewhere in the keep. Dylan made it her mission to make sure that the little boy got just as much of her attention as Ashleigh did.

"Ash?" Kayla said softly as she quietly sat down next to her twin. "Can I ask a favor?"
 
Ashien looked incredibly peaceful as he sat back against the bench with Ashleigh against his chest, his fingers stroking through her thick hair as she slept peacefully. When Kayla sat down beside him, Ashien glanced over with a small smile. "What can I do for you, love?"
 
Kayla smiled down at Ashleigh as she slumbered without a care in the world in her Da's arms. Her tiny fingers were curled loosely against his vest while his slender hand stroked through her thick blonde hair. The two were already in love with one another.

"Would you talk to Christopher for me?" Kayla asked as she sat next to her brother, letting out a long sigh. "Maybe take him out for a ride? I'm worried about him. Everyone has been focusing on me but he needs someone to talk to as well."
 
"I can do that," Ashien nodded and carefully laid Ashleigh in Kayla's arms. "Look after her for me, love. She ought to sleep for some time, so you can put her in her crib if you like."
 
Back
Top