Food Porn

Working on?

I start with old rusted pieces of shit...and end up with stuff you'd actually eat from, lol.

I dunno but forgotten cast iron cookware tossed in a corner somewhere for 20yrs just look so...forlorn.
 
I start with old rusted pieces of shit...and end up with stuff you'd actually eat from, lol.

I dunno but forgotten cast iron cookware tossed in a corner somewhere for 20yrs just look so...forlorn.

Just sandblast it!
 
18199354_10202986668983326_7587268336813130330_n.jpg


Dinner and more, tonight.
 
Just sandblast it!

Beadblast on my lunch hour when no one is looking, lol.
But then there's the seasoning (flaxseed oil works, but peanut oil FTW), then I give them away, find another, and start again. Shit it's almost like a hobby now.
 
I pulled one of the batches of dough from the freezer and set it to thaw in the fridge. Last night I came home from work and set them to rise and bake. Four standard croissants and four mini chocolate dessert ones. And a lump of dough because it's freakin' croissant dough and you don't throw any of it away.

I don't mean to gloat... well okay I do really, but I am gloating over the croissants to the croissants. These bastards have been an achilles heel of mine for almost two decades. And now I've finally beat them! I feel rather mad scientist-ish to be honest with these suckers.

Set to rise:

attachment.php


Ready for the oven:

attachment.php


The mini's ready for the oven:
attachment.php


Out of the oven:

attachment.php


All done... well minus a couple... :D

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • set to rise.jpg
    set to rise.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1
  • ready to bake croissants.jpg
    ready to bake croissants.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1
  • ready to bake mini chocs.jpg
    ready to bake mini chocs.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1
  • out of the oven.jpg
    out of the oven.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1
  • out of the oven3.jpg
    out of the oven3.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 1
Sometimes a sense of humor is required in the kitchen. Things don't always work out and we make mistakes. I have been in the mood for a chocolate cake with white mountain frosting for some time. I made the cakes yesterday and saved the frosting for today. However when I made the frosting I forgot to add the vanilla and I had popped the whisk attachment into water in the sink already. Oops. Should have washed it, dried it and continued. I put in the dot of vanilla and grabbed a regular whisk thinking I could do it. It changed the texture of the frosting to a bit less stiff. When I frosted it... well my white mountain cake turned into a white rolling hills cake. ;)

The beginning... looks promising...

attachment.php


Continuing on, still okay...

attachment.php


That was the last I saw of it in the purely vertical form. It leaning tower of piza'd itself right into this:

attachment.php


I'm not one to waste a good cake or tasty frosting however. The hills are alive with shloomphy cake instead of white mountains. Oops.

attachment.php


With ice cream!

attachment.php



Not my best, but it was still damn tasty.

Not everything has to be picture perfect. :cool:
 

Attachments

  • cake 1.jpg
    cake 1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1
  • cake 2.jpg
    cake 2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1
  • cake 3.jpg
    cake 3.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1
  • cake 4.jpg
    cake 4.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1
  • cake 5.jpg
    cake 5.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1
Haa haa adrina, happens to the best of us from time to time.

Bet it still tasted awesome :D

(I wish I recorded what has gone into my family lore as the "Key Lime Pie Fiasco".


Your baking skills are in the 1%. I stick to meat & pies, lol.
 
Thanks. :D

Yes it does.

Sometimes the baking stars do not align. It happens. :cool:
 
I have a theory that the worse things turn out looking the better they taste. For example fracked cheese cakes ALwats taste best, and moist cakes with a little sink.

I love baking croissants too but I have never made eclairs. G loves them.

Rustic. :D That's what I call things that aren't bake shop pretty.

My grandmother always made eclairs for me so they are special. :) The croissants, while tasty, are pretty much an exercise in vanity - albeit masochistic vanity.
 
I have a lot of respect for good bakers which you have shown to be. It takes a lot more skill and knowledge then cooking. You eclairs are beautiful, just like I remember buying as a kid in a small family owned bakery with the rich dark chocolate on top.
 
It is lunch time here

It is lunch time here and I am drooling on my keyboard. :)
I love the pastries you have posted.
 
It's not always about baking. I've been getting low on jam - down to my last jar. :eek: So when I was at the store some remarkably fragrant peaches and strawberries jumped into the cart. Today I made jam with them. I split the pectin up and made smaller batches. You can't double, but you can halve, third or even quarter. So I make a few jars of each - keep some for me and give some to friends. If they want more, they return the jars. ;)

So, one batch of peach, one batch of strawberry and one smaller batch of strawberry-peach.

One of each with the test bowls. They'll go great with popovers in the morning. :D

attachment.php


The test bowls. Love the color on these:

attachment.php


Overhead view of the strawberry, before lids and processing:

attachment.php


The peach. It tastes insanely peachy and is happy goodness, but the damn peaches floated to the top. Bah.

attachment.php


All of them. :eek: No wonder I'm a bit tuckered tonight.

attachment.php


I've got jam for a while now. :cool:
 

Attachments

  • jam1.jpg
    jam1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 1
  • jam2.jpg
    jam2.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1
  • jam3.jpg
    jam3.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 1
  • jam4.jpg
    jam4.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1
  • jam5.jpg
    jam5.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1
That looks pretty good. A while till fruit season here. How do you seal them

Thanks. The strawberry came out particularly well. :)

I did a standard cooked jam... poured the hot jam into the jars, wiped, lidded and then processed for ten minutes in boiling water. They all popped almost immediately after coming out of the water.
 
It's not always about baking. I've been getting low on jam - down to my last jar. :eek: So when I was at the store some remarkably fragrant peaches and strawberries jumped into the cart. Today I made jam with them. I split the pectin up and made smaller batches. You can't double, but you can halve, third or even quarter. So I make a few jars of each - keep some for me and give some to friends. If they want more, they return the jars. ;)

So, one batch of peach, one batch of strawberry and one smaller batch of strawberry-peach.

One of each with the test bowls. They'll go great with popovers in the morning. :D

attachment.php


The test bowls. Love the color on these:

attachment.php


Overhead view of the strawberry, before lids and processing:

attachment.php


The peach. It tastes insanely peachy and is happy goodness, but the damn peaches floated to the top. Bah.

attachment.php


All of them. :eek: No wonder I'm a bit tuckered tonight.

attachment.php


I've got jam for a while now. :cool:

Ever use 1/4-1/2" of Parrafin wax ontop of the pesky floater fruit jams? Then again I'm guessing yours doesn't last long enough.

And I'm a peach snob...Cali & Mexican peaches may be fine for other people. But I'll wait tapping my foot for August Ontario & Georgia peaches.
I've been cheating lately and simply freezing Ziploc's full of pie amount peach quarters with a dash of FruitFresh. But making up a batch of proper jam is always fun.

If you don't have Baby Gold peaches in your area you are missing out, they are THE BEST peaches to preserve. I buy a bushel or two every year and spend the rest of the night laying them up proper (or in ZipLocs lol). No joke a year later I can pull out a ZipLoc, bake a pie, and they are still firm.
 
Ever use 1/4-1/2" of Parrafin wax ontop of the pesky floater fruit jams? Then again I'm guessing yours doesn't last long enough.

And I'm a peach snob...Cali & Mexican peaches may be fine for other people. But I'll wait tapping my foot for August Ontario & Georgia peaches.
I've been cheating lately and simply freezing Ziploc's full of pie amount peach quarters with a dash of FruitFresh. But making up a batch of proper jam is always fun.

If you don't have Baby Gold peaches in your area you are missing out, they are THE BEST peaches to preserve. I buy a bushel or two every year and spend the rest of the night laying them up proper (or in ZipLocs lol). No joke a year later I can pull out a ZipLoc, bake a pie, and they are still firm.

For jam, the most important thing is fragrance and not too sweet. If they are pie ready, they are too ripe for jams. I've not heard of Baby Gold specifically, but I'll keep an eye for them.


I like the sound of strawberry peach jam :)

Happy jars of jam or preserves make me feel very content indeed; and yes, the colours are lovely! I want some jam!

I don't use a water bath to process. I feel sloppy about this. 😳

I have a carrot confiture recipe that I absolutely adore that does not require a canning process. Granted the recipe only yields three 1 cup jars, but it's very good. It's far more lemony than carroty because of the zest but it's very good. The heat from the cooked preserve seals the jar. However for that one I have to sterilize the jars because of no processing. The canning for jams takes ten minutes so apparently sterilization of the jars isn't required.

I made the popovers this morning to go with the jam. There's a few left I'll reheat and have with dinner.

The batter:

attachment.php


The filled pan:

attachment.php


Out of the oven and on the rack to cool:

attachment.php


Split open and ready for jam:

attachment.php


Particularly tasty batch - made with fresh farm eggs. :cool:
 

Attachments

  • popovers1.jpg
    popovers1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 1
  • popovers2.jpg
    popovers2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1
  • popovers3.jpg
    popovers3.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1
  • popovers1a.jpg
    popovers1a.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1
Wow. Those are gorgeous. You have such a talent! Can I come over for breakfast sometime?
 
Sure. :D It's just a hop, skip and a couple few thousand miles jump away! Hehe!

That's true. Okay, I'll stay for lunch, too.

I've never tried jams or jellies but I like pickling! I don't bake as much as I used to but it is fun trying to conquer a challenge. The last time I dedicated myself was to getting the perfect little foot on macaron shells.
 
I want your popovers! Yum yum!!!!

I don't process ANY jams. Often I use old ( cleaned) jars and seal with a waxed disc on the surface of the jam and a rubber band and a Circle of cellophane stuff and a circle of fabric. I use hot jars from the oven, and seal either very hot ( my preference or totally chilled. If i don't do that I use the jars with rubber seals over the metal pop lids. I don't know why I do this.

I make a lot of preserves some years it would be good to get in the habit of processing the ones with proper lids j guess:(

I often wondered about how much processing is really needed. Especially with clean jars. I've tried the jar sterilization trick in the oven. It works too. If you have clean cooked product and an oven sterilized jar... I'd think it would be just fine on the bacterial level. The hot product ensures the pop pretty much. That's the way it happens with my carrot recipe at least.

We had a gal that used to make some wonderful raspberry jam every year and she used the wax disc. I never got into the habit. I started with freezer jam and then graduated to canning with mason jars and their lids. Granted I don't have a canner, I just use my stock pot with a stainless steel round footed rack in the bottom. It holds four of those jam jars very easily. Which is more than enough. I rather like splitting the pectin into smaller batches. It works great and I'm not stuck with 10 jars of a single kind.
 
That's true. Okay, I'll stay for lunch, too.

I've never tried jams or jellies but I like pickling! I don't bake as much as I used to but it is fun trying to conquer a challenge. The last time I dedicated myself was to getting the perfect little foot on macaron shells.

I had to look those up... macaron shell feet. Hahaha... insane. I like meringue - a lot - but those look soooo fussy! If I had lopsided feet for those I don't think I'd care. I'd classify it as rustic. :D

I've never pickled. It's so... pickley. :eek:
 
Back
Top