"Rebuild": A Zombie Survival RP

Cassie and first meeting

First meeting use to be very awkward for me. I never knew what people were going to be like … and I had always been uncomfortable with that first meeting … until I became a stripper. There is a lot of things you can say bad about the stripping profession … but one of the good things is you develop an ability to say hi to just about anyone.

The young teenaged boy … waved us through … and we parked the APC and truck on the other side of the gate. I got out of the APC to greet him.

He looked like a nice boy, still maturing … but with a good heart. His face was clean and smooth … except it looked like he was trying to grow a mustache. But at his age it looked … inadequate and incomplete. He was skinny as a weed but had taut with muscles from running around with his high school friends.

He had a worried look on his face, the look you get when you are meeting new people for the first time. But when he got an eyeful of me … his eyes grew larger.

I grinned back … my grin stretched wide from ear to ear … I had forgotten what I looked like … in my “Rambina” outfit … to a teenaged boy. My black leather jacket over the spaghetti strap shirt and tight cargo pants. My bow, quiver full of arrows, and my machete, my 9 mm hand gun on my thigh. He must have thought I just walked out of a video game.

“Hi … my name is Cassandra … Cassie to my friends” I said to him as I offered my hand.

The boy shook his head not taking my hand. “I was told not to shake hands … until we know it is safe …”

I was still smiling “Can you tell me your name … or is that unsafe?” I asked

“I’m sorry … my name is Scott” He said “I was told to tell you to leave your vehicles here. We’ll be walking up to the winery” He explained.

“Ok … let me introduce everyone.” I told him. “Cramer you have met already … this is Derry, Lt Ski, SSgt. Washington, and Ria” I said, each of them waved as I said their names. Scott waved back.

“I’m uncomfortable not bring the APC … this might be a trap … remember what happened at the armory” Lt Ski said.

Cramer piped up “I know these people, daring …we can trust them”

“Lt, how about you and SSgt Washington stay behind … if we run into trouble…The cute little tank can come to our rescue.” I suggested

“It’s a Bradley armored personnel carrier” Scott corrected me. I looked at him my eyes narrowing.

“OH, I’m likin this white boy already!!” SSgt Washington said laughing.

SSgt Washington and Lt Ski stayed behind as the rest of us walked up to the winery. Outside to meet us was a man I would soon find out was named Troy. He was 6 feet tall and very athletic. Short (Buzz cut) reddish brown hair and brown eyes, with a face that has laughter lines etched in.

The words Peter told me before we left … ran through my head “Please remember to be extra diplomatic” He had instructed me. I knew this was an important meeting. Critical to our survival. I could not decide if I should offer him one of my pickles or not. Luckily, Ria took the lead.
 
Ria

I waved a bit awkwardly at Scott with only two fingers, the rest was wrapped around the box I was carrying. Cramer had lifted two of the enormous shopping bags with sanitary napkins from the back of the truck, the others took a carton or some bags as well.

"Lt Ski, don't worry about us, Cramer knows the owners quite well, and they know him. Keep your eyes on the road and the vines, they are tall and thick enough a small zombie would be hidden between them. If too many are arriving, shoot once without the silencer on your gun. We'll come as quickly as we can."

It was quite a walk up to the entrance of the Winery where a sympathetic looking young man was waiting for us.

He looked us over, his face stern and serious. Too stern and too serious. He looked as if it took him some willpower to not grin. We must look comical, loaded down with all kinds of weaponry and carrying grocery bags ...

"Hi," I said, "we are the Knights. Some of them at least. I am Ria." I introduced the others, who greeted him with nods. Much cleverer than my greeting of Scott with two fingers! "Were do you want us to put the delivery?"
 
Cramer

Window rolled down my arm rests on the door, I nod tipping my braves cap to the guy. Giving the truck a little gas as I pull into the drive, cruising to where we were meant to go. Climbing out of the truck jumped onto the ground, walking around to open up the box. Climbing up into the truck getting what Ria indicated, handing bags down as I'm climbing from the truck.

I grin at Ski pushing my cap bill up with a finger. ''Yeah...keep ye eyes peeled Darlin. The folks know my country ass... thangs will be fine as frog hair.'' Hitching the AR-15 up on my shoulder, walking side by side with Ria to the Winery entrance. Ria didn't have any advice for me, I was going to let her do the talking. Especially after that look Ria gave me, when she got off the phone with the owner.

Grinning at the stone face guy with a chuckle. ''Cheer up feller we're the welcome wagon. Merry Zombie Apocalypse we brung ye some goodies.'' His barely held stern expression, was even closer to breaking after that. Looking over to Ria with a shrug, a wink and very mischievous grin. ''Just breaking the ice Darlin that's all. Besides we look funny totin guns and grocery bags.'' With my arms loaded down wearing a red flannel shirt, I could have been the Zombie Apocalypse Santa.
 
Last edited:
Troy looked over the people and heard them cracking jokes. He had never heard a zombie talking much so one worry was gone, and if this was an invasion force they were playing it pretty cool. He motioned for Mrs Brady to open the gate and let them in. She had been insistent that she be one of the ones that helped greet them for two reasons. One it would look good for a lady to be present, and two she would be able to verify that it was the man she dealt with. She had already given Troy the nod when she saw him.

Troy called up to the snipers to still keep an eye on them but to go back to sweeping the area for zombies as well. The molotov throwers were called down and the first floor bow snipers were called down to help bring in the goodies. Finally Troy addressed their new guest's.
"G'day the names Troy. I'm the security officer around here. Mrs Brady over there is the one your man Mr Cramer probably did all your dealings with and is our head cook and basic all around general when it comes to this place. The owner is Maddy and she will be down in a second. Welcome to the Winery folks. Come on in. You must be hungry and thirsty. We have prepared a lunch for you so if you want to call in your drivers we can keep your vehicles covered with our snipers on the roof. Believe me their good and they have a great field of view, but it's up to you."
 
Ria

After we had introduced us, the young man gave directions to people we couldn't see introduced himself and a lady who opened the gate for us. Cramer seemed to know her. I smiled at her, and at Troy.

"Our vehicles don't need to be watched, but that what the noise of our engines might have attracted. Some zombies followed us. We left them behind fairly quickly, but some might still be heading here and maybe others will start to follow them. We didn't see as much zombies on the roads here as in the city though. So if some of your snipers could get closer to our vehicles it would be great. Thanks for the invite, we really could do with lunch."

I looked around me. Fences all around, but I would rip out the vines close to the outer fence. On both sides. And I would reinforce it. Stakes on the outside and a stone wall, or a dirt wall to start on the inside.

"Those spikes on the road are a nice start, but you need to do more," I told Troy while I handed Mrs Brady my box and the bag. "In the box are some medical supplies, I have to tell you about Napoleon (this made her look very strange at me) and the books are full of tips how to make leather, how to preserve food without modern methods and such." I turned back to Troy and told him what I would do with the outer fence while we walked into the restaurant.
 
Cramer

''Hey Mrs. Brady good to see ye.'' Handing the crate I was carrying along with the bag to Troy. ''Hope ya'll can use all this stuff.'' My stomach rumbled as lunch was mentioned, I was all for that as granola bars don't last long. ''Well it's been awhile since I've eaten Mrs. Brady's cookin...that's an offer I can't refuse.'' Stepping up onto the porch to begin slowly removing all of my weaponry on my person.

''Ok if I leave my weapons out here on the front porch''? Sliding the AR-15 off my shoulder slowly, thumb the safety on and prop it beside the front door. My 9mm thigh holster off and my K-bar thigh scabbard. Unbuckling the bandoleer around my waist, placing it all on the porch by my rifle. Doing this as a sign of good faith, removing my cap before I go in. ''The place ain't changed very much since I was here last.''

A pang of sorrow hit me hard in the chest, as I recall Kaitlyn was with me last. Not letting on to anyone anything was wrong, as I hold the door open for the ladies. ''I was raised to hold the door for Ladies. So...Ladies first ya'll.'' Stepping inside after they had filed past, it was as nice and welcoming as ever inside. They had a large dinner table prepared for us, I Pull out a chair for Ria and sit after she had.

''Ya'll didn't have to go to all this trouble, but we sure do appreciate the hospitality.'' I hoped my actions didn't seem phony, because I meant every single thing I'd said. Tough as I might appear to be on the outside, a southern gentlemen was always on the inside. As everyone seated themselves, I take off my wayfarers. Tucking them into my flannel shirt pocket, hanging my cap on the back of the chair.
 
Last edited:
Troy made sure everyone was seated including his own people, and that Anubis and pup were by his feet before he looked around. Everyone was digging in to the lunch Mrs Brady had provided which was excellent as usual. The gifts the Knights had brought had been taken to the storeroom and would be sorted out later, but they would prove useful, especially the female hygiene products. You never realized just how much you came to depend on something so basic until you had to go without it. We were just lucky we were well stocked with toilet paper. A place that normally catered to over a 100+ a day was now only doing 16. Well even that wouldn't last forever.

Troy looked over the Knight's group. The one who had contacted them seemed to be a typical Farmer type. Rugged, Muscular through hard work, seemed to know his way with a weapon but still a gentleman.He was called Cramer.
The lady that had talked to him was named Ria and seemed to be the leader. She had a Germanic sounding accent and he wondered where she was from. Wherever it was she had some great ideas. Some he had thought of himself, but others he hadn't and he was glad to see that other people could think fast on their feet to.
The quiet Rambo lady had shocked him at first, then he had taken a closer look. While she may have dressed the part he doubted she knew too much about handling those weapons she now carried. Probably a survivor that was doing all that she could to keep on surviving, just like his rag tag army.Her name was Cassandra or Cassie but she was telling people to call her Rambina.
Next to her was another woman who had remained pretty quiet although she had an open smile about her. Her name was Derry and she was trying to keep Cassie in check.
Ria had mentioned there were two more in their party, both from the military. A SSgt Washington and Lt Ski. They were watching the vehicles at the moment. Troy insisted that it was safe but he guessed he would have his own people do the same thing.

Troy coughed and stood up after everyone had taken the edge off their hunger. He had made sure Scott had taken food up to the snipers and out to the drivers. Scott had even volunteered to stay out there and keep them company.
"I would like to welcome the Knights to our little home away from home and thank them for their generous gifts. Allow me to introduce everybody here. Mrs Brady you have met. The two elderly looking people are Bob and Martha. Don't let their age fool you though those two can work some of us young ones under the table. Tony and Steve who are not here at the moment are our sharpshooters and lookouts. The family over there is Maddy, her son and daughter Brett and Vicky and Odette the live in Nanny. Over there is Dave our resident I.T guy and electronics whiz and next to him is Percy who has worked here for most of his life and will be making our Bows and Arrows for us. Then of course you have Tracy, Stephanie, Lenny and Me who make up the rest of the security force along with Anubis and the Pup here," he said petting them easily. "As you can see this place can easily accommodate everyone you want to bring and then some, and it is reasonably easy to defend. We have already seen off a few attacks and have realized they are attracted to sound. That will be a big problem here of course. You fire a gun or start a loud engine and you will hear it for miles. Of course that's what the spikes and the bows are going to be for. After that we can work on other things. What we need to know from you is, are you bringing trouble with you and can we work together?"
 
Ria

On arriving in the restaurant I put my machetes on a dresser along the wall and looked around. Some big french doors and windows made me a bit queasy; they had already been reinforced with some boards though, and before anyone came close to them they would have to pass two fences. Thus I sat myself down on the chair Cramer pulled out for me quite relaxed.

The food was very nice and abundant. Of course this was a restaurant/hotel so they would have quite some supplies. I didn't think they had used as much in these weeks as they otherwise would have used in a day or two. Delighted I took another spoonful of mashed potatoes, added some runner beans and a slice of pork roast when the bowls and plates were passed around a second time. While I cut a piece of meat and put it on my fork Troy stood up. Politely I put my cutely down and took my wineglass in my hand. One glass for everyone who wanted some; a wonderful red wine.

Only sixteen people! I wondered how they had managed to keep the place to themselves up to now. Troy's next words shocked me. In a positive sense. Startled I looked up at him when he told us the place could easily accommodate us all.

He kept standing and looked at me when he was finished. Standing up I raised my glass.

"First: A toast to you all and all other survivors of good will!"

The few slightly anxious faces which still were looking at us a bit suspiciously if the people who they belonged too thought we weren't looking relaxed too and everyone shared in the toast.

After it got calm again I put my glass down.

"We, the Knights think we won't be able to survive very well on our own. We have too many children, a toddler, nine grammar school kids and two teenagers to take care of. Until now we did fairly well, we got enough supplies for three to four months -depending how hard we ration it- we started a garden and we have some ducks and chickens. And a dog. Nana, a newfoundlander. Who had a big part in saving us when we were attacked by zombies five nights ago because she barked like mad and woke everyone up." I took a deep breath.

"We think it was someone who originally was a part of us who let them inside the library. Cramer saw him outside, and dealt with it. We lost two people that night. One was severely wounded, three not too bad and twelve got Napoleon due to scratches. Only three people, Cramer, Deacon and I didn't get the fever. We are thirty-eight adults of all ages and the twelve kids, forty-nine human beings in total. We established an alliance with Frank's people, around fifteen, some or all of them might want to join too. You see a substantial part of our fit 'troops' went out this morning to scavenge and make contact with you. We don't have any fiends we now of, although there are some groups who are hostile. We ran into one the other day when we went to the Armory. That problem is solved. Definitively." New Speak! I couldn't believe I was using New Speak! All seemed to understand very well what I implied though.

"We came back with a lot of ammunition, a lot of weapons and the means to silence them, which might give all of us some respite before we need to be perfect archers. So, if you want us in, we would be very glad to come." I took my glass from the table, raised in a silent salute and took a sip before I put it down again.

"Including myself the Knights have three teachers, a para-medic, two other ex-military, three mechanics-engineers-handymans, a farmer and a garden center employee, a musician, a clothes designer, quite some students, a nutritionist, a housewife-cook-art specialist and all are willing to tackle what has to be tackled." I moved to sit down, and got up again.

"Oh. I almost forgot to tell you, we are lead by three people for the moment: Max, the janitor of the Knight, Peter, a student and myself. We are still in the process of working out how exactly this leadership-thingy should go on though."
 
Cassie

I don’t know if it was some kind of symptom of the zombie virus … or maybe a result of the stress of combat. But I was totally in love with Troy. WHAT A HUNKY GUY! … I know what you all are thinking … I’m a total slut for banging Daniel … then making a pass at Officer Bart … and now my heart was beating faster for Troy. But before you judge me … let me explain.

1. He was fit and built … his biceps were bulging!! He was 6 feet tall with a military style haircut. I’m not a big fan of such short hair … however he looked great in it. His face was full of fun and laughter.

2. He seemed smart and confident. He knew what he was doing and he was not arrogant about it. He was well traveled and I was sure he’d be full of interesting stories and common sense wisdom.

3. He loved dogs and I love all animals! It showed he had a gentle caring side. I could imagine us ten years from now … on a farm … surrounded by dogs, cats, horses … etc.

4. Finally … his voice … that Australian accent … it was just dreamy!

So the decision to at least make a few passes at him was easy. I might not be his type … but I certainly was going to try and find out. I leaned over to Derry and whispered. “What do you think about Troy … you think he is a hottie?”

Derry looked back at me, recognizing the look in my eyes. “Cassie let’s try to focus on the mission … ok”

“No really what do you think?” I asked again

“He is kind of cute … but you are with Daniel” Derry pointed out.

“I don’t see a ring on my finger … and there is no rule that says I can’t like two men at once” I replied.

“Yes there is … it is called the slut rule … and you are about to become one” Derry said.

I was quiet for a while thinking about what Derry had told me. Then there were the speeches and Ria’s comments on the skills of people at the knight. I leaned over to Derry again and whispered “I noticed that Ria did not mention “erotic dancer” as one of our skill sets”

Derry started to giggle and I joined in. The guy introduced as “Dave our resident I.T. guy” was sitting next to me and politely asked in a whisper “Ahh what are you two giggling about?”

I lean back to him and whispered “Ria forgot to tell you about my skill as an erotic dancer!”

Dave’s eyes got bigger “ohh” he said and he turned his head towards the speaker again. Our little giggling had made Troy look in our direction for a moment. I raised my glass ... and winked at him. Then took a sip.
 
Troy

Troy sat down after raising his own glass back at the cute Rambina and the girl next to her. Obviously there was a story there, especially the way Dave had leant away from her blushing furiously. Hmm maybe a little test. Leaning down he whispered to the pup and patted his head. Leaning back up he turned to Maddy and began to discuss what they had been told. He knew the pup would make it's way over to the two women shortly and he didn't want it to appear like he had ordered it.

"So what do you think Maddy, Mrs Brady?"
"I have to say I have known Cramer for a number of years," began Mrs Brady, "And if he vouches for these people I say we trust them."
"They do look like decent people," agreed Maddy, "And their bringing children. Yje only thing is I will not be pushed around in my own home. They will have to recognize they are moving into our place, not taking it over. First sign of trouble and I kick them to the curb."
Troy grinned at that and reassured her he had already thought of that.

Looking down the table he noticed that most people had finished eating.
"OK we have discussed it and have agreed to allow you to relocate your forces here. We can modify the back area by the time you are ready to return so your vehicles can be parked securely there inside the perimeter fence. We will only have space for about four large vehicles though. We can let you in on another little secret of ours now as well. We have power, running water and a large supply of gas that is not reliant on the main grid, so we will still be functional long after that goes down. We also have large stockpiles of fuel, fertiliser and of course wine and wood. We have our own smoke house, animals, vegetable gardens , hives, and several other crops but at the moment they are too dangerous for us to get too. With your help though we may be able to make it safer."

"The one concern we really have is that you may think that you can come in and take over this place. I am here to tell you that will not be the case. We will work together or not at all. At the first sign of that sort of trouble you will be asked to politely leave. Other than that I believe we have a deal."
 
Ria

My relieved sigh went under in the loud cheers of the Knights at the table. The happy, relieved smile on my face was noted by quite some people though. I saluted Maddy, Mrs Brady and Troy with my glass and emptied it. Winery people started to talk among themselves, but I wanted to thank them all and got to my feet again.

It didn't look like people would calm down soon so after a little while I took my chair, walked around the table with it to Maddy, Mrs Brady and Troy and sat down between Maddy and Troy.

"I really am very, very happy with your decision. I was prepared to do some courting, would have Peter and some other people with me on a next visit. We don't want to take over, we want to join. I may be your people feel a bit overwhelmed at the start, but we will work that out. It seems to me you three share leadership as well as Peter, Max and I. Maybe it would be a good idea if we have meetings each morning between what ever leaders are around at the moment, a meeting with heads of project groups a bit later and tell the rest during dinner what has been decided, have votes for things and discussions about, well what needs to be discussed. That is basically how we do it in the Knight now and it works well. It would fuse our groups together I think if we have formal discussions during lunch and/or dinner? The kids are sleeping together in a classroom now, and quite like it, do you have a place we could put them so they don't have to start completely new again?" The noise had subdued somewhat and I stood up again.

"In the name of all the Knights I want to thank your for your generous offer. We won't be moving in tonight or tomorrow, and we won't move in all at once. We have lots of things to pack, food, clothes and lots of books, and we have to organize means to transport them and the people. We will leave you now, and go to Cramer's farm, his crops needs to be harvested and the animals, well, maybe you could find space for them? We are not going to harvest today though, we'll just have a look at the place, maybe get some of Cramer's things and deposit them here on our way back. As soon as our ill are fit to do some work we'll start harvesting, first Cramer's stuff I think and then here. Now, lets move people, we still have something to do today."

I started to shake hands. Troy's I held a moment longer.

"One of the Knights is a true survivalist and among Frank's people there is policeman and a hunter who is called "Hunter" ..." I whispered.
 
Derry and Cassie

As soon as Cassie let the cat out of the bag to Dave, I just couldn't help but grin as his eyes grew huge and his face became beet red. As we two girls giggled Troy turned his attention over our way. I stopped giggling and watched as Cassie raised her glass and winked at him. Once he had raised his glass at us he bend down and said a few words to one of his dogs. I took a sip of my wine as he turned back to one of the ladies.

I elbowed Cassie in the side, "What a way to get yourself introduced, but I do suppose you know what your doing." I shook my head at her as she grinned back at me nodding her head.

Our attention was soon back to what Ria and the other leaders of the group were talking about. It sounded like we were getting the OK to join the winery. I wanted to jump for joy, I whispered to Cassie, "This is a fantastic place to live, I am so happy that they are willing to have us." I leaned over and gave Cassie a hug, which she happily reciprocated. We looked around, most people there seemed to be cautiously happy with the plan to unite our groups.

At that point I noticed one of Troy's dogs was making his way towards us. I again elbowed Cassie to get her attention off of the handsome Troy. Once she looked at me, I pointed to the beautiful dog that had stopped beside us. I smiled down at the pup and let him sniff my hand, before gently patting his head. Cassie soon joined in, and we smiled as we got to know our new friend, telling him, "You will soon have another dog to play with."

Before we knew it, Ria was letting us know, that we had to get a move on. As we stood up, we thanked our new friends for the lovely lunch adding that we looked forward to seeing them soon.
 
Last edited:
Flirting

I was playing with the cute dog rubbing behind its ears … when I got an idea. I looked in my cargo pant pockets … but found no paper or pen. I had a bunch of weapons holders … but nothing to write with! I leaned over to Derry.

“Hey Derry … do you have a piece of paper?” I asked her quietly. She nodded and handed me some paper and a pen. I wrote the following note on it:

"So when are you gonna ask me out? LOL … Here's my cell number; let’s get some Starbucks coffee sometime. Cassie!”

I wanted to put a heart at the end of the note … but that felt so high school. So I restrained myself. I slipped the note under the puppy’s collar and said to it “go back to your master!” The puppy hurried off.

Ria and everyone else started to get leave and Derry was tugging at my arm as I was still leaning over watching the dog hurry off.

“Ok … I’m coming” I told her as I stood up and glanced at Troy. I had timed it just right. He was looking at me. We made eye contact. A big smile spread across my face … I stood up straighter … as I wanted to look approachable … I also uncrossed my arms and pulled my shoulders back. Then I just felt I needed to wave. It was a stupid silly wave. Derry grabbed my arm again … and tugged me out of the dining area. Saving me from my silly wave. The eye contact was broken … my flirting attempt was over. We were headed back to the APC. I turned to Derry.

“Hey Derry … I was working on my body language in there …I had not even gotten to my hair flip … men love hair flips!!” I told her.
 
Norah

At the Knight


Twice I had to tell Vince to sit down and take a rest before I saw him heading up the stairs. When I checked on Thomas and Skip half an hour later, he was sitting beside them. Working on arrows and bows, at least they had put their feet on some boxes.

Quietly I went back out after I had put a stack of books on a table. I had stacks of books everywhere now, it was a great way to check on people. Just walk into a room with some books, put them down, have a look around, change some words and back out again. Lee was taking some interest in the books I put beside him with the request to check and sort them to the relevance to modern and old fashioned healing.

"Norah" Vince called me softly, and I went back in.

"How are things downstairs and on the roof?" He asked worriedly.

"Not bad, everyone does what is possible. Carla, Carol and Scotty are packing the durable foods, labeling the boxes and such, the kids are selecting schoolbooks, comics and novels for kids and youngsters. Dan and Max are sorting the tools, Stewart and DT are patrolling the roof. When they are having lunch Paula, Peter and I will be on the roof." I sounded reassuringly. I was sure I did. Vince didn't seem to buy it though.

"And Daniel? What is he doing?"

I turned away, looked out off the window. Quite some zombies around. I saw some fall down and a bit later a Molotov hit one of them. Stewart and TD were practicing. Stewart more than TD I thought, because he had told me he hadn't shot a gun before. Neither had I ...

"Not much," I said very softly, "I am a bit worried about him ..."

Vince got up on his feet.

"I'll sort him out. Dammed! He is one of the few who are strong enough to make a difference if something happens!" He was silent for a moment when he passed me. Then he turned.

"And that new guy? That whacko from the armory? Leo? What is he doing?"

"Volunteered to get all the clothes and soap and the rest out off the laundry room in the theater. He even plans to get one or two of the washing machines out. He said as a builder he had hauled, installed and deinstalled enough of them before that he wouldn't ruin them."

Vince nodded once.
 
Last edited:
Cramer

I stood from my chair the wine having gone untouched, I made my way around the table shaking hands. Reaching Mrs. Brady, Maddie and Troy thanking them personally. ''Thank ye fer allowin us to stay, if anyone of our people gives ye any shit. Ye have my word that I'll personally whoop their sorry ass.'' Shaking Troy and Maddie's hands grinning, I had a big hug for Mrs. Brandy. ''Ya'll folks take care now ye hear.''

Retrieving my braves cap as I walk to the door, stepping out onto the porch to strap my weapons on. Putting my wayfarers back on, lighting up a cigar as I catch up to Cassie. ''This wasn't a visit, so ye can find yer next fuck. Grow up, join the adults why don't ye? That juvenile bullshit, could have got us asked to leave.'' Hitching the AR-15 up on my shoulder, walking with purpose I quickly outdistance Cassie.

Reaching the box truck I fish out the keys, unlocking the door I climb up into the cab. Slam the door rolling up the windows, I expected Cassie to step onto the running board, hoping she wouldn't cause a scene. Cracking a window to let the cigar smoke out, watching for Ria to join me inside the cab of the truck.

Anxious to get on back to my Farm, I drum my fingers on the steering wheel. To my surprise a tape deck was installed in the dash, I press play as the Eagles song Take It Easy came from the speakers. Tears well in my eyes recalling Kaitlyn and I met like this song. Quietly singing along it was like my girl was sitting snuggled right up against my side once more.
 
Last edited:
Cassie

I could not believe what Cramer said to me. WHAT AN ASSHOLE!! A wink, some eye contact and a raised glass of wine … that is all that happened. That could have ruined our whole visit? I don’t think so. I turned to Derry

“What a grump!” I said to her, looking for her agreement. But I did not get it. Derry had a look on her face like she wanted to say something.

“What?” I ask her.

“Well, Cassie you know I love you to death … but Cramer has a point. Sometimes you over do it. You get a lot of male attention because of your looks and those boobs … and I think … sometimes … you only know how to interact with men at that level.” Derry explained.

I was close to tears at this point “A wink, some eye contact and a raised glass of wine … that was too much?” I asked.

“There was the note too …” Derry pointed out.

“That was after we had closed the deal to move in!” I explained tears were running down my face now. “I like Troy or at least I think I do … don’t you believe in love at first sight?” I asked.

Derry put her hand on my shoulder “Yes, but in this case … there are a lot of emotions going on … the zombies, the move, Doc Lee, Officer Bart, Daniel acting weird, your mustang getting ruined … you might want to take it slow for a while” She suggested

“I thought you would support me … I thought you were my friend!” I said to Derry

Derry smiled “That is why I said it … friends sometimes need to say things that are not pleasant … but need to be said anyhow”

I took a deep breath “Ok … I won’t kick Cramer in the balls next time I see him … how is that for taking it slow?” I asked Derry

“It’s a start!” She giggled “you know, there might be another factor working here …” Derry suggested

“Like what?” I asked

“He might be jealous” Derry suggested.
 
Ria

Cramer's Farm


Some of the winery folks walked out to the cars with us. My first stop was with Ski and Washington.

"We are invited in!" I told them a lot easier in my mind than before. "How was lunch?"

"Great! Six down. Ten stumbling around in the distance. We'll take them out when we pass them if they don't follow us." As Ski registered my slightly amused expression she added with a smile: "Lunch was really good. Hot and tasty. Even better than the food we had at the Knight." I nodded, food at the Knight was still "use first was has to be used and don't mind if the combination is off, if they're hungry they'll eat it".

Seeing Cramer mounted his truck I turned to climb in too. I looked back at the winery, pondering the possibilities, the strength of the castle and the other buildings, asking myself if a moat would be more useful around the outer fence, or the inner. Of course it would be as useful around the outer, but, following the reasoning of medieval architects, I decided one around the inner fence would be doable. The sight of a crying Cassie ripped me out of my ponderings. I waved at Cramer and started to walk to Cassie and Derry. Coming closer I heard some giggles, shook my head, and got into the truck.

"Girls will be girls," I smiled at Cramer. "Nice music! Your favorite? Or your wife's?" I asked softly, seeing the tears in his eyes. He didn't stop singing along or tapping his fingers on the wheel with the Eagles. I opened my door and stood up on the running board, my hands on the roof and the door. The girls seemed to be engulfed in an interesting discussion now. I tapped my fingers on the roof. Sighed. Tapped some more.

"Derry, Cassie, get in ladies, we want to go!"

The tone of my voice startled them a bit, more than my words did I suppose, because at first they looked up at me questioningly, then, without looking at each other they pouted ostentatiously, then grinned and waved at me but also moved towards the tank. I sat down beside a still humming Cramer, tears in my eyes too. How often had I called out to the twins like that, and got the same demonstrative pout before they complied?

Scott and Troy opened the gates. I put my hand on Cramer's arm.

"Lets go, Cramer. Time to look at your farm."


It really seemed most zombies concentrated in the city. We did see some around, but not many. The trip towards the farm was as calming as the trip to the winery had been. I didn't feel the need to be very alert, just normal 'somebody-might-make-a sudden-left-turn-in-fron-of-me' attention was enough in my mind. Cramer was silent.

The Eagles sung for quite a big part of the road.

We were driving in absolute silence for maybe a minute when Cramer suddenly gripped the wheel so hard his knuckles shone white as marble. He still didn't say anything. He steered the truck around a curve and braked. Silently I looked at the welcoming white house with yellow curtains behind gleaming windows, standing on a flower-bordered lawn behind a white wooden picket fence.
 
Derry and Cassie

I had my arm around Cassie as we talked, I didn't want to hurt her, but she needed some waking up when it came to her behavior. She was a spur of the moment kind of person, whereas I like to think things thru before jumping into a situation I won't be able to get out of. But I had to admit, Cassie's spontaneity was a large part of her appeal. So I certainly didn't want to squash it.

I had to laugh when she promised not to kick Cramer in the balls. Then it occurred to me to say he might be jealous, I really didn't think so, but who knows? We both giggled at that.

Ria called out to us to get into our vehicle, we stalled a few seconds before going over to the tank. Once inside I turned to Cassie, "Are you going to be alright? We sure need to keep our friendships and Cramer has been our friend. Why don't you go to him first chance you get and talk it out? You know he could just be going through something that we are not a part of, just sort of lashing out. I could see Cassie was thinking and nodding her head over what I had just said.

As all the vehicles started moving we settled down wondering what our next stop at Cramer's farm would reveal. I hoped with all my heart that the animals and produce were intact. It could make the difference of a pleasant well fed winter and one of hardship.

Both Cassie and I had our own thoughts as we moved along.
 
Cramer's Farm's occupied

I lean over to unlocked the door as Ria approached, turning the key in the ignition the truck fires right up. She asked about the music as I quietly sang along, the unmistakable tears in my eyes was the answer. Putting the automatic into drive wheeling the truck around, pulling out of the winery drive onto the road. Not feeling up to conversation with good reason, this was the first time back home without my Kaitlyn.

Finally reaching the turnoff to the Farm I brake to 20 mph, white knuckle the wheel I held my breath. The need to breath makes me realize that I was holding it, taking a shaking breath trying to relax a bit. Turning into the drive stopping put the truck in park, climbing out of the cab to punch in the gate code. It opened before climbing back into the truck, waving the APC to go on ahead of Ria and I we followed.

Shocked to see the everything looked intact to me, part of the fall crop had been already harvested. ''I thank some folks have moved in Ria.'' Gritting my teeth growling my quick temper had me seeing red. ''I swear, if they trashed my Kaitlyn's house, I'll kill the fuckers!'' Letting Ria drive I bail out of the cab, thumbing the safety off on my AR-15 shouldering it.

Dropping slightly into a firing stance as I walk, slip up to the side of the APC looking in at Lt. Sky. She can tell by the hard expression on my face, that somethings up as my eyes sweep along with the riffle. The APC slows to a stop Ria would have to also, looking back to her I motion to stay low and lookout. One of the harvested fields was right beside the drive, with several sets of boot prints were in the soil. ''I don't see em, but there's boot prints of several people, here here and over here.''
 
Last edited:
Cassie turret operator

Although I started the day in great spirits … all George Patton like and Pickle juice … things had started to go downhill. The fire fight at the “Sav-on” drug store over f’ing sanitary napkins, then my failed attempts at being “extra diplomatic” with the winery leader … a mini lecture from Derry “Why don't you go to Cramer first chance you get and talk it out?” and now this!! A big argument about teaching me to fire the APC’s weapons.

Derry was busy driving the APC … so I asked to learn how the turret worked. That started the SSgt Washington and Lt Ski argument about teaching me how the turret worked.

“She … unpredictable … I'm not showing her how the various weapon systems work” The black female staff sergeant stated.

The Lt smiled and said “She saved our lives … she maybe unconventional but she has proven herself over and over. In a critical situation … we can’t have part of our team not knowing how to use the weapons in this APC.”

“It took me … 3 month in a classroom and with hands-on instruction to learn this shit … Lt” SSgt Washington said.

“Give her the short course … and I’m tired of arguing ... that an order!” The Lt said ending the discussion.

SSgt Washington saluted and mumbles “God help us!”

I climbed into the turret as the SSgt showed me all the buttons and switches. She kept saying things like “Be sure to boresight your optics after reloading … and in manual mode lock the turret’s movement … and the turret can’t move when the forward hatch is open unless the “override” switch is engaged … and the gun is considered “hot” after 100 rounds in 15 mins" … on and on and on

I just wanted to fire the gun and launch a few of those TOW missiles!! She finally explained how to do that. AWESOME … there is a sense of power you get when you understand that by squeezing a small trigger … you can blow up a whole building!! COOL!!

It was about this time … we arrived at the Cramer’s farm house. Cramer got out of the truck … and shouldered his weapon.

“We got trouble …” Lt Ski said … “bring the turret around” She ordered me. I panicked. I threw the motion switch to the right instead of to the left …the turret turned away from the house … I realized my mistake but just kept pushing the button … and the turret went 270 degree and pointed at the house. From outside it must have looked funny .. the turret spinning around like that. SSgt Washington was beside herself … “You stupid crazy woman …”

“I got it Sergeant … sorry…” I said as I lowered the gun and actived the tow launcher. I even actived the smoke launchers just in case. One false move and I was ready to destroy the house … and everything in it!!

“FULLY ARMED AND READY” I yelled down to both SSgt Washington and Lt Ski.

“DON’T FIRE ANYTHING … UNLESS YOU GET AN ORDER … UNDERSTAND!!” SSgt Washington yelled back “Cramer and Ria are out there … I don’t want you killing them!!”

The back hatch of the APC opened and Lt Ski went out ... with her M-16 ready.
 
Ria

At the farm


''I thank some folks have moved in, Ria.'' Gritting his teeth and growling for anger Cramer grabbed his gun. ''I swear, if they trashed my Kaitlyn's house, I'll kill the fuckers!''

With a move of his head as he got out he showed me he wanted me behind the wheel now. Awkwardly I climbed over, my eyes locked on the house. I couldn't see anyone. No curtain moved, nothing. Maybe people had harvested some and moved on. Maybe the house was too small for them. Maybe it was a big group. Maybe they were still around ...

Slowly I followed the tank and let the distance between us grow until I was a good fifty meters behind it. My eyes swiveled between Cramer, the house and the tank.
The tank halted. I stopped the truck and rolled the window down.

Cramer looked at an harvested part of a field. The part close to the road was empty, the rest full of wheat waving on the fine breeze.

''I don't see em, but there's boot prints of several people, here here and over here.''

Suddenly the turret of the tank started to turn around. Towards me! Who was in there, and what happened? The turret kept moving and I put the truck in reverse and punched the gas. And shot forward.

At the last moment I managed to turn the wheel just enough I missed the tank, plowed through the non-harvested field at the other side, wrung the wheel around and was back on the road again and braked many meters in front of the tank before I realized I would have been better of in the field, and would have been much better of had I braked immediately instead of keeping my foot on the gas.

This time I looked what I did when I shifted the gear into backwards, and killed the motor.

I was so close to the house I could see the pictures on the wall opposite the window the truck had stopped in front of.

The nose of the car nearly touched the picket fence.

By twenty meters. Forty or fifty meters behind me a ravaged field, a frozen Cramer, and the gun in the turret again pointing at me.

Taking a deep breath I started the engine.

It hiccuped and died again.
 
At that moment two very nasty surprises appeared in the open top-storey windows, first the muzzle of what appeared to be a .50 Browning Machine Gun and right next to it the grenade tip of a RPG, twin laser sights flickered to life, one focused on the truck and the other on the APC, a gruff voice called out,

"Hold it right there skivs! You will not plunder this house nor farm, now turn around all nice-like and crawl back into that hole you came from!"

The fact that the laser guides didn't leave their targets just made things a bit more tense,

"I will also warn you that coming closer or disobeying my order will result in your deaths, not even that APC will save yah! This RPG will take that baby out lickety split, I say ahain, turn around and leave!"
 
After the craziness of the APC turret spinning wildly, Ria's ability to drive the truck highly questionable. The second story windows were raised up, the weapons suddenly appearing had us cold. Lowering the AR-15 slowly giving the cut off sight. ''Hey asshole this is MY farm! If ye have any gumption git a photo off the mantle, you'll see me and my deceased wife in it with a nameplate 7/1/2000 on it!''

Pulling off my Braves baseball cap and dark wayfarers off, revealing a bearded face over a decade older. Lifting my hands away from my weapons, I walk up to stand beside the box truck. ''Ya'll c'mon out of the APC now, that RPG will open it up like a tin can!'' Close enough to be clearly seen, but not so far as to get shot. ''Take a gander feller, ye'll see at's me in at there photo ye got!''

It wouldn't take everyone long to exit the APC, Ria was probably worried I'd lose it. ''This is my home, I ain't leaving it at all, not when I put pert near 15 years of blood, sweat and tears into it.'' Still as pissed off as I was earlier, but getting myself and my people killed wasn't acceptable. So playing it relatively cool as I could, we'd have to watch our asses or go boom.
 
Last edited:
Here's Jerry!

There was a long moment of silence and then the laser sights flicked off,

"I'll be the son of a dancing bear! Homer Grimes!"

The front door swung open and out stepped a man, he was dressed in drab olive military clothes, a camoflaged cap on his head. On his hips rode two 1911 Colts in quick draw holsters, a survival knife stradled his thigh, over his left shoulder he carried a MAC 10 and under his right arm he held a FN Minimi. He seemed to make certain that it was Cramer, then he walked closer, standing at only 5'9" he was a short man, but there was no denying that he was powerful, the ease with which he handled the LMG proved that his muscular frame was not for show. He gave Cramer a grin,

"Fuck man am I glad that you're still alive."

He could see the slightly puzzled look in Cramer's eyes,

"You remember Bob Redd? I'm his cousin, Jeremiah Ace. I think we met at a family barbeque at least twice."

He looked at the group and back at Cramer, he did not ask and he was sure that he did not want to know where Cramer's wife was.

"We have visited the local farms, we're keeping it safe from zombies and looters."

He eyed the group again, finger still on the trigger of the LMG,

"Ye here on yer own violation?"
 
Inside the Bradley

There was a pretty big debate on the effectiveness of RPG against Bradley APC with the military test community. During the Gulf War, only 3 Bradleys were lost due to enemy fire, another 12 were damaged. The spaced laminate armor was designed to protect the crew from RPG and 30 mm armor-piercing discarding sabot rounds. Testing had shown some RPG hits did damage the Bradley however. In the final analysis ... the report stated ... it was never a good idea to get hit by an RPG and some of the newer RPGs could penetrate the Bradley.

Note: None of this debate or knowledge was available to Cassie sitting in the turret of her “cute little tank.”

When the 50 cal and RPG appeared … Cassie gently nudged the turret to point at the window her finger on the TOW launcher switch … at the first sign of trouble … she would fire.

Then Cassie heard Cramer say ''Ya'll c'mon out of the APC now that RPG will open it up like a tin can!''

“What should I do, Serg” Cassie asked getting into the Army lingo. SSgt Washington just shook her head.

“You stay in there … no way … that shit ... knows how many people are in this APC. If anything happens blow up the fucking house.” SSgt Washington ordered. Then she and Derry poked their head out of the back of the APC. SSgt Washington held her gun high and pointed it right at the window.

Luckily, the tense situation de-escalated as the front door swung open and out stepped a man that knew Cramer. Everyone waited for what Cramer would do next.
 
Back
Top