Companion to the 5 Senses Challenge

Thank you, dear. I've been reading your poems, too. Good to write with you again.

Thank you, GM. It's almost four months since I lost my Terry. I think I'm starting to be able to write about my feelings with more clarity and perspective.
:rose:

That love will live on in you. Thank you for the wonderful poem. What a pleasure to see your name hot in this thread.

That love will live on in you. Thank you for the wonderful poem. What a pleasure to see your name hot in this thread.

As you know I've not been writing here much of late, but I do come to read frequently. That senses thread is always rocking imho and contributions from Champ, you, Tods are making me want to contribute there sometimes. :)

GM clany's wake is sublime!
Your final stanza is perfect.
I'll raise a glass myself.

A little bump for Harry. :)

I've never known sex to smell like cumin, but they do share a certain earthy quality. ;)

Damn, Neo... welcome back!

Vinco, Vici, Victum is a hell of a story, so well-written, using the words seamlessly.

Thank you! Some word lists seem to just auto-write a poem.

For me, it's usually been the combination of three or four words that sparks something, which leaves me with a word or two that I have to ponder over a bit. I really love the 5 Senses thread. :)

try cheaper (well think about it)

Sounds like a better option, still has the "r" sound I was looking for, and has a better ljnkage me thinks.

I might take a look at editing this one, it may have promise, or it could just be another electronic dust mite :D

Sounds like a better option, still has the "r" sound I was looking for, and has a better ljnkage me thinks.

I might take a look at editing this one, it may have promise, or it could just be another electronic dust mite :D

Tod, thanks for reviving this thread.

More than a dust might there and I'd stay with easier as it is more general.

Hi Todski - thank you for the open armed welcome :) . Feeling the urge to write a bit, though I am seriously rusty.
Well, if this
Discipline
is what you call rusty, I'll need some wet naps to clean up after I've read your more accomplished poems. :rolleyes:

That one was. . . uh, pretty sexy. Assuming it wasn't just a poem about you swiping my chocolate.

Which, I admit, it may have been. But still, women and chocolate can be pretty sexy, though sometimes disturbingly violent. Are we talking Hershey bars or Fran's dark chocolate imperiales?

In any case, welcome back. Your poetry looks damn fine to me.

hot water and soap suds run
off her fingers,
Y'know, I had looked at that collection of prompts and said to myself, "Not something I can do anything with."

And then Tod comes along and just rips an incredibly arousing poem off that prompt.

I feel humbled. And schooled. By a guy who writes on his phone. :cool:

I'm serious, Tod. You should think about trying to get yourself published someplace other than here.

Hi Todski - thank you for the open armed welcome :) . Feeling the urge to write a bit, though I am seriously rusty.

Well colour me in ochre flakes of rust and feed me to the ocean to disintegrate, because that was evocative and sexy. I love your ability to put us almost inside the psyche of your N, connecting internal dialogue with external stimulus, synthesising the two, making your emotional connect visceral for the reader...

I know a lot of jargon to say I fucking loved your poem :D

As to the open armed welcome, lol to me this is your house as much as anyone else here, you’ve been writing here longer than I have, and you’ve the respect of every writer in here, how else were you going to be welcomed ;)

Anyway, good to see you poemin again!

Last edited:
Y'know, I had looked at that collection of prompts and said to myself, "Not something I can do anything with."

And then Tod comes along and just rips an incredibly arousing poem off that prompt.

...and 'swat team' was definitely on my mind...it's nice to see some prompts twisted a lot

I'm serious, Tod. You should think about trying to get yourself published someplace other than here.

If I told you I wrote it one handed whilst using a panel saw I wonder if you’d be more impressed :p

I saw the prompts when Snow posted them and thought to myself, I’ll never make a poem of those words in a million years... come back to it at 5am while I’m machining board and a poem forms.

I was struggling with the word swat, I didn’t think swat could be used in the context of what I was trying to write, I.e a swat on the arse, or arm, it just wouldn’t fit, then I had a fleeting memory of a police raid on a house I was in, when I was younger and it clicked together.

I saw your last comment about submitting and didn’t acknowledge it because I have always sort of flirted with wanting to try and submit my stuff, and still have doubts about the validity of my writing, since I

1) write on my phone

2) mess up on spelling and grammar a lot

3) throw stuff out so quick I don’t think of myself as a writer or poet (despite being told I am by multiple people I respect as writers, peers and people)

4) if I don’t try and submit I can’t get rejected, so I can think and believe I’m good enough without having to actually find out.

5) I’d have to try and take myself and my writing more seriously and time wise, I just don’t have it right now, (though I could probably make the time if I thought it was viable, which means this is an empty excuse :D)

and then take into account my wife hates my writing and me writing it kinda make it a pipe dream more than anything for me.

Also on a personal note I struggle with compliments it’s a wiring fault from a fractured childhood ;)

I really appreciate your praise and encouragement Tzara as a participant on this board I’ve long admired and respected you for your willingness to teach, your intellect and humility as a person, your jokes and humour and talent as a writer.

I really Appreciate the acknowledgment

Last edited:
If I told you I wrote it one handed whilst using a panel saw I wonder if you’d be more impressed :p
<snip>
I saw your last comment about submitting and didn’t acknowledge it because I have always sort of flirted with wanting to try and submit my stuff, and still have doubts about the validity of my writing, since I

1) write on my phone

2) mess up on spelling and grammar a lot

3) throw stuff out so quick I don’t think of myself as a writer or poet (despite being told I am by multiple people I respect as writers, peers and people)

4) if I don’t try and submit I can’t get rejected, so I can think and believe I’m good enough without having to actually find out.

5) I’d have to try and take myself and my writing more seriously and time wise, I just don’t have it right now, (though I could probably make the time if I thought it was viable, which means this is an empty excuse :D)<snip>

Tod, you write incredibly valid poetry. Spelling and grammar can be edited. Countless other writers and poets write "hot" -- meaning quick and dirty, then tuck it away so that when they take it out and read it aloud in a month, the flaws and the beauty will be more visible, and your poem isn't bright and shiny so you can make cuts, sew tucks, and generally edit it. If it's not a better poem after being tailored, go back to V1 and hack away again. Later, you'll see how brilliant V1 was and you can simply edit for spelling.:D

I identify with your excuses, mine have been similar through the years and now that you put them out there it sounds silly to have those arguments. But I struggle with quantity, sometimes I think I should just pull them all into little chapbooks and accept that if people like them, then maybe I'll drag them out for real publications. Not likely though. I don't think I can climb up and sort the huge pile of poems (or what I call poems, anyway) to separate the coal from the tailings and end up with high quality fuel.

Ah, what the hell? Let's burn it all ... maybe the ashes will be good.
Wow... this is all dross. Check out the mixed metaphor and extended drivel!.. LOL!

PS- Your poems don't belong in the slag heap at all. :)

Tod, you write incredibly valid poetry. Spelling and grammar can be edited. Countless other writers and poets write "hot" -- meaning quick and dirty, then tuck it away so that when they take it out and read it aloud in a month, the flaws and the beauty will be more visible, and your poem isn't bright and shiny so you can make cuts, sew tucks, and generally edit it. If it's not a better poem after being tailored, go back to V1 and hack away again. Later, you'll see how brilliant V1 was and you can simply edit for spelling.:D

I identify with your excuses, mine have been similar through the years and now that you put them out there it sounds silly to have those arguments. But I struggle with quantity, sometimes I think I should just pull them all into little chapbooks and accept that if people like them, then maybe I'll drag them out for real publications. Not likely though. I don't think I can climb up and sort the huge pile of poems (or what I call poems, anyway) to separate the coal from the tailings and end up with high quality fuel.

Ah, what the hell? Let's burn it all ... maybe the ashes will be good.
Wow... this is all dross. Check out the mixed metaphor and extended drivel!.. LOL!

PS- Your poems don't belong in the slag heap at all. :)

I was reading along fine then you mentioned quick and dirty and I lost track of what you were saying :p

Thanks for this I’ll try respond proper tomorrow

Impressed? Yes. Alarmed? Also yes. :eek:

Don’t be too alarmed, maybe 20% of my overall writing has been done the same way, I’m well versed in panel saw poetry :D

It’s not nearly as impressive as it may sound the cover guard and other failsafes are pretty rock solid, it’s not very likely I’ll hit the blade with anything other than what I’m cutting

After the Rain

Remec, what you did here is very evocative of my airforce days out camping in the spring with my friends at Alberta Beach park near Edmonton. Those fire blankets sure kept the cold at bay, even when wet!

Back