Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
its... we have had a lot of archaic words but how about this modern one. Did Shakespeare use it ...much? :)

I was curious, so I searched in Shakespeare's opus. 'Its' appears 19 times, but it only appears once in KJV. Apparently it was just coming into use?

antediluvian before the Noachian Deluge. The word has fallen out of favour, along with the biblical sense of ancient times it comes from. Some may want to ressurect it as they claim to have found the ark, but it remains relatively meaningless. I only use it myself when I want to sound antediluvian.

This word would have to be in the overused category.

plas·tic - Origin: L plasticus < Gr plastikos < plassein, to form, prob. < IE base *plā-, flat, to smooth out > plain

adjective:
1.molding or shaping matter; formative
2. a. capable of being molded or shaped b. made of a plastic
3. in a flexible or changing state; impressionable
4.dealing with molding or modeling, as in sculpture
5. a. characterized by or exhibiting superficiality or a lack of originality; dehumanized; mass-produced: as in the plastic world of television advertising b. hypocritically false or synthetic; phony: a plastic smile
6. Informal use; of or designating a credit card or credit cards, or credit based on their use: plastic money
7. Biologically capable of readily changing or adapting in form, physiology, or behavior
8. Medical use; a. of or helpful in the renewal of destroyed or injured tissue b. that can be so renewed
9. Physics capable of continuous and permanent change of shape in any direction without breaking apart

noun:
1. any of various nonmetallic compounds, synthetically produced, usually from organic compounds by polymerization, which can be molded into various forms and hardened, or formed into pliable sheets or films, fibers, flexible or hard foams, etc. for commercial use
2. something made of plastic
3. Informal use; a credit card or credit cards, or credit based on their use

antediluvian before the Noachian Deluge. The word has fallen out of favour, along with the biblical sense of ancient times it comes from. Some may want to ressurect it as they claim to have found the ark, but it remains relatively meaningless. I only use it myself when I want to sound antediluvian.

I wonder why postdiluvian never caught on.

Folks rarely say antebellum any more . It means "before the war." But we've fought so many that the word has lost its general context. I suppose in these United States the term was used for a long time to refer to the era before the Civil War, at least in writings I've come across lately.

Folks rarely say antebellum any more . It means "before the war." But we've fought so many that the word has lost its general context. I suppose in these United States the term was used for a long time to refer to the era before the Civil War, at least in writings I've come across lately.

It does specifically refer to the South in the period after Jackson's election to the beginning of the Civil War, and is still used by historians of the American South.

I chose the year 1857 for my trilogy of historical erotica novels for the very fact that is was before the Civil War, which was very uncivil, indeed. Antebellum is a great word along with confederate.

confederate - 1. united in a league: allied 2. caps; of or relating to the Confederate States of America

confederate - 1. ally, accomplice 2. an adherent to the Confederate States of America or their cause

confederate - to unite in a confederacy

I, as King Og, according to some Jewish legends, am antediluvian and survived the Flood by hitching a ride on the roof of the Ark.

Og

I, as King Og, according to some Jewish legends, am antediluvian and survived the Flood by hitching a ride on the roof of the Ark.

Og

Yes! I remember now...Weren't you the first flagpole sitter? And was it you that wrested the olive branch from the dove to make pigeone fricassee alla olio?

I chose the year 1857 for my trilogy of historical erotica novels for the very fact that is was before the Civil War, which was very uncivil, indeed. Antebellum is a great word along with confederate.

confederate - 1. united in a league: allied 2. caps; of or relating to the Confederate States of America

confederate - 1. ally, accomplice 2. an adherent to the Confederate States of America or their cause

confederate - to unite in a confederacy

And yes, Canada is a Confederacy rather than a republic, and Montreal gave safe refuge to Jefferson Davis after the War.

Yes! I remember now...Weren't you the first flagpole sitter? And was it you that wrested the olive branch from the dove to make pigeone fricassee alla olio?

Eat a pigeon? Not likely. Not enough meat.

I'm usually blamed for having eaten all the dinosaurs on the Ark. :rolleyes:

Og

... civil war...

Tio_Narratore, you're right. "Antebellum South" is typically how the two go together.

Another word that has a distinctly American usage is Manichean. It is typically used along with "neo-con" e.g. "... neo-conservatives have a Manichean view of rightness and wrongness."

It's a *very* weird word, describing a world religion that's extinct now, but for, umm, the neo-cons (or so it would seem). It originates from Mani, a Persian mystic of sorts, who coined a religion based on a cosmology of light flowing from one zone to another, and where Good and Evil are pretty rigidly defined. I suppose Manicheans don't acknowledge shades of gray much. A bit like neo-cons, maybe. But what do I know? I'm just good ol' boy gone wrong. ;)

Tio_Narratore, you're right. "Antebellum South" is typically how the two go together.

Another word that has a distinctly American usage is Manichean. It is typically used along with "neo-con" e.g. "... neo-conservatives have a Manichean view of rightness and wrongness."

It's a *very* weird word, describing a world religion that's extinct now, but for, umm, the neo-cons (or so it would seem). It originates from Mani, a Persian mystic of sorts, who coined a religion based on a cosmology of light flowing from one zone to another, and where Good and Evil are pretty rigidly defined. I suppose Manicheans don't acknowledge shades of gray much. A bit like neo-cons, maybe. But what do I know? I'm just good ol' boy gone wrong. ;)

Thank the Goddess you've gone wrong, quimsical; and I do appreciate your name.

seldom-used words, mia bella Allard...

Quim, noun, vulva.

As in the Western American Song, Charlotte the Harlot.

"One day in the Canyon,
No pants on her quim,
A rattlesnake saw her
And flung himself in.
Charlotte the Harlot
Gave Cowboys the frights:
The only vagina
that rattles and bites.
(refrain)
Charlotte the harlot,
the girl we adore,
The pride of the Prairie,
the Cowpuncher's whore."

Charlotte the Harlot, I love it and it reminds me of the songs at the end of Deadwood.

Specifically 'American words' reminds me of the beautiful names of many of these United States that are American Indian in origin. I still marvel at Mississippi and how it rolls off the tongue.

Charlotte the Harlot, I love it and it reminds me of the songs at the end of Deadwood.

Specifically 'American words' reminds me of the beautiful names of many of these United States that are American Indian in origin. I still marvel at Mississippi and how it rolls off the tongue.

Rappahannock, Mattaponi, Chincoteague, Assateague, Chesapeake, Raccoon, Susquehanna, Wachapreague, Machipongo, Pocomoke, Pungoteague, Wicomico— Native American-derived words are all over the place here.

Last edited:

Caudillo
n. 1. A leader or chief, especially a military dictator. 2. A political boss; an overlord.

Another National Spelling Bee ( 2007, I think ) word. I have seen the word used in English but it is Spanish in origin; I'm too lazy to go look it up in the O.E.D. to verify that it has papers.

And Allard, you said you liked the Native American place names...my favourite is a stream just south of Saratoga Springs, NY.

It's called Kayaderosseras Creek, from the Mohican, I believe.

I learned something new about an often used word - TIPS

TIPS - an acronym - to insure prompt service

I've seen Antebellum used in formal agreements between Warring parties, where they agree to {restore something as it was } antebellum, ie, before the Hostilities.

Orectic:
adj., pertinant to desires and their satisfaction.
Orexis : desire, or effort.

shibboleth - (from Hebrew) a symbol that marks where someone is from.

An example:

äuää - affirmative modal particle or pro-sentence (aka yes) used by the German-speakers in Bern, Switzerland.

Last edited:

Rappahannock, Mattaponi, Chincoteague, Assateague, Chesapeake, Raccoon, Susquehanna, Pocomoke, Pungoteague, Wicomico— Native American-derived words are all over the place here.

Or in Western Canada: Pemmican, Wapiti, Ptarmigan, and Saskatoon.

I found this word and have used it all my life, but never knew it was hyphenated

in-kind - consisting of something (as goods) other than money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back