"Doctor Who: Powers of Ten" (OOC)

ChasNicollette

Allons-y Means Let's Go.
Joined
Nov 1, 2007
Posts
16,135
THIS IS THE OOC FOR THE THREAD FOUND HERE.​

UZuwgd8.jpg

Hey, all.

It's no secret that I'm a big fan of the series "Doctor Who," in particular the work of the luminary Tenth Doctor as portrayed by David Tennant. I've paid homage to him a number of times in other threads, cameos and tributes and occasionally outright guest-starring roles, but it occurred to me a couple of months ago that, given his exit from the show and making the way for Matt "Eleven" Smith, the time had come for me to put my money where my mouth is.

So.

This here is an alternate-universe thread, spinning off from a crucial turning point in the 2009 special "Waters of Mars." Needless to say, Here there be spoilers.

As of right now, this thread is invite only.

I've asked a few folks whose love for this character eclipse even my own to join in, get the old band back together with a few little additions. History was pretty shaken up by what The Doc did in "WoM," we're going to have a look at what might have happened for him and his friends if that history hadn't had quite such a shake up. We're going to take familiar faces and tell a different story.

If any of you readers (not, heh, that I'm under the illusion there'll be many of you) have an idea and want to join in, please PM me or drop me a line here, and we can totally discuss options.

This is primarily what this OOC'll be for. Discussion, and character profiles if I eventually decide that those become necessary.

But for now.

Ladies and gentlemen.

Geronimo.

********

CURRENT CAST LIST:
-subject to change-
UnseenMaiden - Donna Noble/Wilfred Mott
Varshanka - Commander T'Pol A’Lex T’ker
Lunaramblings - Captain Jack Harkness/Nigel Tate
******* Winterlight - HRH Giles Archer Plantaget

Chas Nicollette - The Doctor/Jenny/The Cat

********

luZ1q7N.jpg


Name: The Doctor(?)
Alias(es): (now, y'see, there's a thorny discussion)
Age: 907(?)
Race: Time Lord of Gallifrey
Height: 6'1"
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Dark Brown

Azo1Xcb.jpg


Even to his very closest allies, he remains shrouded in mystery, his true name lost to the dusts of ages.

Born nigh unto a thousand years ago from his non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, he is the last survivor of an ancient, primeval race that had governed the province of temporal and interdimensional travel since time immemorial.

Despite being a genius a thousand times over by the standards of Earth intellect, the being who would one day be called simply "The Doctor" had generally been considered a maverick by his own people, unlikely to amount to anything; even his greatest rival and worst enemy had a higher degree in Cosmic Science than his own. The Doctor graduated Gallifrey's Academy by the skin of his teeth and did not achieve certification for piloting a time vehicle.

Having failed to live up to the standards of his people, spurred on by the frightful childhood memory of a ritual in which he witnessed the raw power of The Time Vortex, The Doctor decided to live up to his own standards instead. Stealing a time vehicle, an obsolete Type 40 TARDIS from a junkyard, and bringing with him his grand-daughter Susan, he departed his home and the remainder of his family for what he may have hoped was Forever.

He lived many lives, literal and figurative, walking in Eternity, combining the longevity of a Time Lord with the same's ability to survive twelve deaths by reincarnating, "regenerating" into a new version of himself. At times, time and time again, his past on Gallifrey and his iconoclastic behaviour would come back and haunt him...

Drawn by insatiable curiosity and a strangely capricious living time-ship to events of monumental importance, The Doctor would befriend many of The Universe's mere mortals, some of whom would travel with him for a time. Inevitably, these would all depart his company in some fashion or another, whether by his machinations, their own, or by the cruel subtractions of cause and effect, leaving The Doctor to face equally innumerable enemies and his one constant Companion...

...Death.

No matter how many people and worlds and timelines The Doctor would save with conscience and compassion and wit, always he would be haunted.

And so it came to pass that The Doctor was recalled to Gallifrey to fight a War, a terrible Time War, that spanned from one end of Time to the other. And in that war The Doctor was called upon not only to annihilate the terrifying, implacable, soulless Daleks, but his own people as well, all in one searing, eternal instant, The Doctor became Death for what seemed like two entire species.

He lived. Everyone else died.

He soldiers on. The death of The Time Lords has left a void in The Universe which he has struggled to fill all by himself. He has opened his two hearts to travelling companions once more, only to have those hearts broken.

And thus, burdened, his sense of mercy at its limits, he has decided to go it alone.

But no man is an island. Not even The Last of The Time Lords.

And he is soon to discover that for all his running away from that which matters most...

...he is not alone.

---

Abilities: The Doctor possesses enormous regenerative properties, and can survive injuries that would kill many other species. Twelve times in his life, The Doctor can choose to ignite that regeneration in order to survive injuries that for him would be mortal, for a total of thirteen lives, a technique that essentially supplants his identity with that of another man with his memories. He is presently on his tenth "life."

Trained since childhood in manipulating various forms of radiation, capable of surviving multiple lightning strikes, possessed of above-average strength and agility and reflexes for a bipedal species of his proportions, able to endure even the vacuum of space unaided for brief periods, The Doctor is a hard man to be rid of. His long life has afforded him training in a vast array of knowledges, including that of weaponry... though this Doctor will eschew lethal force at almost all costs.

The Tenth Doctor has curiously heightened senses, themselves capable of bewildering feats of detection and synaesthesia. Capable of limited telepathy, he can gaze into and walk amongst the minds of others, though he doesn't make a habit of it. He can perceive the timelines around objects, people, events, and is able to tell, often to his chagrin, what events can be averted and what events must transpire in order to preserve the sanctity of the temporal fabric.

But his greatest assets will always be his boundless intellect and his trickster cunning. Whole armies have fled the mere threat of his brain.

Equipment: The Doctor's living ship, The TARDIS, is the only one of its kind, very much like The Doctor himself. Possessed of telepathic properties and a quasi-sentient mind of its own, The TARDIS is nevertheless symbiotically linked with "her" Time Lord. Its disguise functions inexplicably damaged, The TARDIS seems forever to resemble a Police Box of British yore, though within it contains like unto whole worlds of chambers containing countless secrets. The TARDIS is capable of flight through space and through The Time Vortex, able to materialise at any point in The Universe or in history. The TARDIS is ancient, however, and given to unpredictable behaviours, and not even The Doctor can ever guarantee that they will land when or where he intends. Combined with The Doctor's own telepathy, The TARDIS can translate nearly any language either written or spoken for its inhabitants. It can manipulate temporal rifts, scan for teleport breaches, survive terrible elemental forces, and hide itself from detection while running on emergency power.

The Doctor's link with his TARDIS is such that a mere snap of his fingers will unlock its doors, doors that would otherwise only ever open with the application of a very special kind of key.

...also tied in with the power of The TARDIS is his sonic screwdriver, a small nonlethal device capable of innumerable feats, over two-and-a-half thousand settings of unlocking, scanning, welding, upgrading, uplinking, igniting and reverberating and on and on and on. In a pinch, it can even drive screws.

The "sonic" is incapable of opening deadlock seals and has a bit of trouble with wood. Certain hair-dryers can interfere with its signal.

The Doctor also carries a little folder containing "slightly" psychic paper, responsive to the mental fields of others. This can perform a sort of "Jedi Mind Trick," convincing others of The Doctor's various assumed identities by resembling to their eyes unimpeachable identification, which The Doctor sometimes suggests or which are otherwise filled in by the expectant minds of those looking on. It's not foolproof, and can be defeated by individuals with psychic training or distracted by the wandering thoughts of the wielder. It's also, occasionally, been known to receive telepathic messages scrawled upon its surface...

Just as The TARDIS is bigger on the inside than it appears from the outside, The Doctor's clothing pockets are more capacious than they seem, and he has a rather delightful (infuriating?) habit of carrying in these pockets all manner of useful objects.

He tries to be prepared for anything. And often is. (Though not always.)

Weakness(es): For all his abilities, The Tenth Doctor is not invulnerable. (A well-placed punch will silence him instantly.) For all his long life, he is not immortal. (He has clung onto this life by his fingernails more than once.)

One day, Death will come for him. Ever he fights for that death to be at a time of his choosing.

The Tenth Doctor could be killed once and for all by a power surge accompanied by a data upload of global proportions. He could be killed by vast quantites of radiation too great for his abilities to manipulate and disperse. He could be drowned by a great flooding river...

...he could, if killed by something as feeble and mundane as a bullet, simply choose not to regenerate into a new life.

But the one thing more dangerous than a Doctor with nothing to lose, is a Doctor with one thing, just one thing to live for.

********

Ejs35RX.jpg


Name: Jenny
Alias(es): The Doctor's Daughter
Age: 14 months (chronological), 25 years (biological/psychological)
Race: Quasi-Gallifreyan
Height: 5'2"
Hair: Blonde
Eyes: Dark Green

Summoned inexplicably by his TARDIS to an embattled planet named Messaline in the year 6012, The Doctor was shortly thereafter subjected to a genetic device programmed to extrapolate existing biological cells into fully-grown adult life-forms, themselves programmed to do two things: to fight and to die.

Thus, The Doctor found himself face-to-face with a "generated anomaly," a woman at least partly Gallifreyan with no knowledge of her racial history and armed to the teeth with knowledge of warfare, one thing The Doctor truly detested. "Jenny" would eventually come to be influenced by The Doctor and by his friends Donna Noble and Martha Jones, taught compassion for life and a thirst for adventure, and she in turn would prove herself to her reluctant father.

Demonstrating that in amongst her iron-clad mental indoctrination of millennia of war leaked through hints of the roguish wit and burgeoning intellect of The Doctor himself, Jenny stood up to a generations-long war and helped to put an end to the war she herself had been "made" to fight.

But before she could run off with The Doctor, she threw herself into the path of a bullet fired by a man who could not let go of war so easily, a man who would have destroyed the process by which that nigh-destroyed world could have been made Paradise. For reasons as yet unexplained, Jenny seemed to die in The Doctor's arms, causing him to despair and to leave her behind, only for her to revive shortly thereafter, seemingly completely intact.

Jenny immediately struck out on adventures of her own, patterned after those of her father, which now seem to have taken on a temporal dimension. She's even taken a Companion. Like father, like daughter.

---

Abilities: Jenny is potentially capable of any feat of which her father is genetically capable. Thus far, she's demonstrated a capacity for learning and creative thinking under pressure, a talent for nigh-superhuman athletics, and an apparent regenerative ability that has seemingly allowed her to survive death.

Her training enables her to utilise very nearly any weapon with ease and grants her access to a vast assortment of combat techniques both lethal and non-lethal. She's also an excellent pilot.

Equipment: Having stolen a shuttle from Messaline and managed to pilot through the eddies of a time fissure, Jenny has apparently made a couple of stops along the way and picked up some interesting weapons with which to fight the good fight. The shuttle has since been abandoned and destroyed, leaving Jenny with that which she has on her... two pulse pistols, a photonic "shotgun," and a wicked combat knife, to say nothing of her slick black duds.

Weakness(es): Jenny's biological potential is largely unrealised. Resourceful and lethal physically, she lacks her father's Academy training and 9 centuries of experience...

A single bullet once seemed to take her out of this world. Likely she'll not be slain that way again. But as much as she is hard to kill, ultimately... it wouldn't take much.

********

GZFCjiS.jpg


Name: The Cat(?)
Fur: Striped Orange with Patches of White
Eyes: Golden Brown

Jenny's apparent friend and Companion, The Cat remains almost more of a mystery than her father. Thus far he's been little more than a cowardly prat.

---

Abilities: Apparent telepathic communication, sentience and intelligence, and short-range teleportation. Is a cat.

Equipment: Is a cat.

Weakness(es): Is a cat.

253DLJT.jpg
 
Last edited:
T'Pol A’Lex T’ker

Full Name: T'Pol A’Lex T’ker
Species: Vulcan
Gender: Female
Birthplace: Vulcan
Born: 2340, Vulcan
Affiliation: Confederacy of Vulcan
Terran Empire

Family
Parents: K’Trell (mother), S’Tonn (father)
Marital Status: widowed
Spouse(s): None
Children: None

Career
Previous Assignment: Aide to Ambassador Soval
Assignment: Chief Science officer, Scimitar (ISS-1701-B)
Rank: Commander



Sadira.jpg

MUTPol.jpg

inamirrordarkly2_679.jpg

tpolfc.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
FIRST!!!!

& Yayyyyy!!!! Chas is writing

(now I just gotta find my muse again)

:: grins :: I dunno if you'd call it "writing" so much as "muddling through!"

Keep me posted on that Muse thing, though, I might have to borrow her when you're done. :: winks ::
 
um.. I should really say something I suppose..

..well only thing I can think to say is that my version of Donna would be a couple of months before End of Time.. being that while she's dating Shaun Temple, he has not proposed yet
 
Full Name: T'Pol A’Lex T’ker
Species: Vulcan

:: grins :: This should be interesting...

um.. I should really say something I suppose..

..well only thing I can think to say is that my version of Donna would be a couple of months before End of Time.. being that while she's dating Shaun Temple, he has not proposed yet

That slacker shoulda pulled the trigger when he had the chance. :: chuckles ::

Awesome, I'm so nervous, but I'm giddy at the same time...

And, no, Lunar, Uumie, neither Jack nor Donna has to be wearing one of those collars that Var's come up with, as I know both of your ideas for opening scenes involved talking. (Maybe the Sontarans thought a Vulcan's formidable physical strength merited additional restraint? Or maybe T'Pol's been making a nuisance of herself, heh.)
 
And, no, Lunar, Uumie, neither Jack nor Donna has to be wearing one of those collars that Var's come up with, as I know both of your ideas for opening scenes involved talking. (Maybe the Sontarans thought a Vulcan's formidable physical strength merited additional restraint? Or maybe T'Pol's been making a nuisance of herself, heh.)

well she did kill one with a boot....
 
and then there is the whole forced mind-meld thing she can perform.. kinda hard to focus on anything when you can't even think.



I hope i did ok... :(
 
and then there is the whole forced mind-meld thing she can perform.. kinda hard to focus on anything when you can't even think.



I hope i did ok... :(

You did fine, I promise.

Sontarans are not good guys, and they're not going to treat a threat with kid gloves.
 
hmm let's see if that works then.. still trying to work out dear Donna's tone...

curiousity question, Luna... is this Jack before or after the Children of Earth arc?
 
hmm let's see if that works then.. still trying to work out dear Donna's tone...

curiousity question, Luna... is this Jack before or after the Children of Earth arc?

If this is you trying to work things out, I am flabbergasted.

I :heart: her already.

(Seriously, I don't deserve you guys.)

From what Lunar and I discussed, yeah, this is post "CoE," but I guess I should let him answer that question... :eek:
 
*sighs* I miss all the Torchwood cast really.... maybe the american spin off will be good... but I doubt it
 
Back
Top