Build up vrs. Sex Scene

I myself enjoy that pass time of writing. The stories I write tend to focus more on the overall story and don’t jump to the sex right away. At least, nothing I’ve written in the last two years. Anyway, other than that, it’s the build up and mood I put into my stories I enjoy the most about writing. To me, it makes the sex scenes that much better when they happen.

Am I the only one that appreciates the “build up” to the sex?🌹Kant👠👠👠


I certainly prefer the build up to the sex scene!

The build up can realistically involve almost anything, and the whole range of emotions.

A realistic sex is mostly repetitious thrusting and grunting.

 
To me anyway, most times the sex in a story is the interaction of the people what enhances it as part of the story is how those people get together. A husband and wife having sex can be exciting, two former co workers who never got along at work is a different story. A wife bringing another man in bed with her husband is one story, if it's his former gay lover then that's a different story as it would be if it's her ex husband. The sex could be the same but the dynamic of the characters changes the story.
 
Every story has its own dynamic. The author (or voices in their head) shapes that dynamic. Some of my pieces start with hot sex. Some have tediously long setups. Some have sex on every page. Some have little or none. The formula: as much setup as the story wants.
 
I can recall a story that began mid-fuck with the characters. It wasn’t cheaply written and it didn’t rely on a long awaited sexual encounter for its crescendo. The premise was mildly voyerstic and the naughty sexiness that the author built by revealing who could see them or who was listening and consequently fucking too. It was like a sexual look-and-find. Well done.

I couldn’t find the story to link it. Cue the sad trombone.
 
I've said before that I don't think that sex is inherently erotic. We make it erotic with the relationships we build.

Agreed. Personally I like writing the sex scenes, some might say I probably put far too much detail into them. But without the build-up this would just be a description of the act itself, and the characters would be mostly two-dimensional only.

I'm sometimes finding it difficult working out what the correct balance might be.
 
I'm sometimes finding it difficult working out what the correct balance might be.
Write it. Put it aside for a few days. Pick it up again and read it aloud. Does it work? If not, edit edit edit. If so, edit anyway.
 
I have described my work as having possibly the lowest wanks per word ratio on Lit, so you can surmise where I stand on the issue.

Heh. :cool:

I've got the build up done. Pages of it. I'm stuck at the "point of no return" because as PuckIt put it, the sex is going to be anti-climactic. I've written a bit more, but it's just so much *less* than the build up. It's like what comes after ruins what came before. So yeah, stuck. Ugh. It's driving me cRaZy. Well, more so that already.
 
Back
Top