Isolated Blurt Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my favorite trout spoons is made from a pair of dangly earrings. :D

With a fetching young woman still attached?

The Song of Wandering Aengus
BY WILLIAM BUTLER YEATS

I went out to the hazel wood,
Because a fire was in my head,
And cut and peeled a hazel wand,
And hooked a berry to a thread;
And when white moths were on the wing,
And moth-like stars were flickering out,
I dropped the berry in a stream
And caught a little silver trout.


When I had laid it on the floor
I went to blow the fire a-flame,
But something rustled on the floor,
And someone called me by my name:
It had become a glimmering girl
With apple blossom in her hair

Who called me by my name and ran
And faded through the brightening air.
 
And today I shall face one my darkest fears. But I wanted it. I've worked hard to get to this point so I could get answers. My demons won't destroy me. I'll either win or learn to live w/it. Quitting is not an option.
 
That's how I felt about opening the icebox door after power was off for five days during the last hurricane.

All kidding aside, I hope everything works out in your favor.
 
I remember that Sunday morning in San Francisco, a foggy 1972 summer day. I was listening to Scott Beach's show on KSFO and he played a song, said it was Gene Autrey's first hit from around 1932. I heard that song exactly once, and misremembered the words, but they're something like this:

I used to be a lazy man, never had a job
I laid around the house all day, a dirty drunken slob
It's not because I'm pretty, it's not because I'm smart
My old lady kicked me out the door; that's how I got my start

And then I got a job of work, canning speckled trout
On payday I'd get drunk and the barkeep'd throw me out
It's not because I'm pretty, it's not because I'm smart
I just keep on drinking moonshine; that's how I got my start

I've since looked it up and I'm fairly close but not exact on the lyrics. Anyway, his reindeer song is more appropriate today.
 
My desk is a mess. Five minutes and it would look neat and clean again. Instead, I'm writing (which is a good thing, but it isn't helping clear the clutter).
 



If (in a tax-free account), you had invested $1.00 in an S&P 500 index (a broad U.S. stock market measure) fund exactly five years ago (i.e., on 18 February, 2013) and had reinvested the dividends, you would now have:

$2.00

100% in 5 years is an APR a bit under 20% which isn''t bad. Beats CDs.
 
Price rises have, I suspect, been more than that.
:(
Sillycon Valley and Bay Area housing costs, and fuels, for sure. What we pay for pinto beans, not so much. Electronics have trended cheaper. 'Ukes and mandos haven't changed but strings are inflating. CostCo hasn't raised their price of sausage and soda for decades, so lunch can be cheap.

Economics can be macro or micro. Inflation can be general or personal. Rising prices of stuff I don't buy don't bother me. I'm happy so long as vodka and coffee are reasonable. And carrots.
 
Last night at the store I saw a tasty looking mac and cheese, but it only had microwave instructions, and I still don't own a microwave...

While I don't have a microwave at home where is one at the office. So I bought the macaroni, heated it up at work, and it wasn't very good...
 
Snow is deep but power is back on. I think I'll microwave something, just because I can.
 
I had to drive up to Snowshoe, West Virginia today. I had forgotten how much I love mountain roads. I wish wish wish I still owned a manual transmission. But just as the road started to squirm like a toddler full of Red Bull, my playlist shuffled to Rush's Red Barchetta and holy fuck, for the next six minutes and nine seconds, I was 18 years old and immortal again.
 
While I don't have a microwave at home where is one at the office. So I bought the macaroni, heated it up at work, and it wasn't very good...

The trick is to leave the food alone after the 'ping' for a few moments. It gives the heat a little time to get round all of it. Another is to cook stuff on low for longer.
 
The trick is to leave the food alone after the 'ping' for a few moments. It gives the heat a little time to get round all of it. Another is to cook stuff on low for longer.

Truth, food continues to heat for a couple minutes after the ping. Also, putting a little water in can help with some things. I've also found, at work, that a few damp paper towels over a bowl of food can help things heat up without drying out.
 
I know how to heat things up...

The trouble is the pasta was low quality, the cheddar overpowered the other two cheeses in it, it wasn't creamy enough, it tasted kinda sweet...

I just didn't like it.
 
9bb.gif
 
My only announcement is disappointing so I'll stay quiet, in the corner, watching.
 
Would you please keep an eye on this little Dragon for me please ?
I need to go to the Bathroom
 
Price rises have, I suspect, been more than that.
:(


?????

As of year end 2017 (i.e., 12/31/17) the average annual compound rate of inflation (as measured by the U.S. Commerce Department's Consumer Price Index for all-urban consumers) was 1.4% for the preceding 5-year period.



 
My energy finally returned, although the time change messed me up. Of all the activities I didn't do last year, I missed writing the most.
 
I wish I didn't have so much to do and I could bloody well relax for a change! Guess I need to learn to relax WHILE getting things done. :rolleyes:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top