How do you cheer yourself up?

Thanks for the concern but I'll be fine. I don't really have any friends to call but I'm already feeling better. Thanks again.
 
philos, it's good that you've begun this thread. we all get into a funk now & then, and crowdsourcing solutions is a great idea.

me personally, when i'm down in the dumps, i do the things that nourish my soul:

listen (and sing along) to my favorite music
watch a favorite film or TV show
force myself to speak with a friend, especially if i haven't talked with them for a while, and lose myself in their day-to-day concerns
like a few others, i'll clean or do related housework: i actually love doing dishes by hand

but more than anything else, what helps lift me out of a bad headspace is this:

help someone else

by far, that's what helps me best, because i take a great deal of satisfaction in helping someone. rendering a useful service to someone does two things:

someone who needs some help gets it, which in turn...
increases the amount of good in the world, which then...
may help inspire someone else to do the same

kindness begets kindness, and to me, that's a worthwhile thing to keep alive and well in the world.

ed
 
How do I cheer-up myself?
I don't.
I look for excuses not to plummet from a bridge.
So far, so good.
 
Xbox and killing things on said xbox. I refuse to get my gun licence. As stress relieving as it is to fire a real gun. Theres too many people i dislike..
 
Singing in the shower, loudly.

I don't care that I can't sing, carry a tune or know all the words. It's my joy.
 
Singing in the shower, loudly.

I don't care that I can't sing, carry a tune or know all the words. It's my joy.

I love this. I guess I have the kind of voice that people (my daughter) beg me not to sing.
 
i do adrenaline sports. if you hike, or sky dive, or scuba the endorphins make sure you don't feel sad anymore. plus your brain is concentrating on the task at hand and can't wander into sad what if thoughts.
 
i do adrenaline sports. if you hike, or sky dive, or scuba the endorphins make sure you don't feel sad anymore. plus your brain is concentrating on the task at hand and can't wander into sad what if thoughts.
Back when it was possible, I cheered myself with long dog walks, long bike rides, long pond floats -- yes, physical activity does it. Now a mall walk every few weeks must suffice.
 
How many flies does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
"Two, but we don't know how they got in there."
 
How many flies does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
"Two, but we don't know how they got in there."
"How many hippies does it take to screw in a light bulb?"
"Hippies don't screw in light bulbs. They screw in hot tubs."

"How many sopranos does it take to change a light bulb?"
"One to handle the bulb, and four to kick the chair out from under her."

"How many cops does it take to break a light bulb?"
"None. It fell down the steps on its own."

"How many Texans does it take to eat an armadillo?"
"Three -- ya need two to hold up the traffic."

"How does a Texan count armadillos?"
"One diller... two dillers... and another diller... and another..."
 
I listen to "happy" or nonsense songs. "Birdhouse in Your Soul" by They Might Be Giants always works wonders. When music doesn't work, I usually hit YouTube for the "Inside the Actor's Studio" episode which featured Robin Williams. Any "Whose Line is it Anyway?" which featured Robin Williams works, too.
 
I go for a really long walk and may even add some running into it. When I get home I light some candles, take a really hot bath and read a book. Though, this is only if I have quite a bit of free time. If I'm short on time dancing around in sexy lacy panties and bra will do the trick.
 
Listening to my favourite music , talking to my good online gamer friend, eating chocolate, and best thing for me is treating myself to toys in ann summers. could do with one now .
 
I had to look up what Ann summers is. It definitely improved my mood.
 
After two eye surgeries in two weeks, I cheer myself up by looking at stuff and seeing details. At least I don't see that the house needs extra cleaning. ;)
 
Cheering Up

I walk ma dawg and sometimes I read the testimonials from my TRY THIS thread and a few other sites where I posted the same msg.
 
I think of women in the world who have their mothers-in-law living with them, and then I realize how lucky I really am that she lives alone.
 
For me it entirely depends on the reason I'm feeling so blue. Typically if I am that depressed I'll make like a hermit and retreat to my cave and shun the light of day. But more generally? Generally a change in environment. I live in what I class as the concrete capital of Europe, but I'm not far from mountains and hills, gurgling rivers and all things picture postcard. So that helps. Also I find a trip to YouTube to watch people do insane and ridiculous things tends to brighten my mood. Or anything involving kittens.
 
Depends on whether I just feel a bit down or really sad.
Usually I take a long walk, preferably with a certain person, stuff myself with tasty food or distract myself by watching series. Talking helps. A nice bath also does the trick.
When I'm really sad I just lie on my bed, clutch the big, white plush bunny I got at a con and cry until I feel somewhat better.
 
Back
Top