CSI Leicester. Fuck Kennedy and a grassy knoll! this real history.

The only good thing about York is that it's legal to shoot Scotsmen within the city walls.

Well, the House of York had no actual connection to York or Yorkshire. In fact, during the Wars of the Roses, Yorkshire was usually pro-Lancastrian territory.

GLOUCESTER
Ay, Edward will use women honourably.
Would he were wasted, marrow, bones and all,
That from his loins no hopeful branch may spring,
To cross me from the golden time I look for!
And yet, between my soul's desire and me--
The lustful Edward's title buried--
Is Clarence, Henry, and his son young Edward,
And all the unlook'd for issue of their bodies,
To take their rooms, ere I can place myself:
A cold premeditation for my purpose!
Why, then, I do but dream on sovereignty;
Like one that stands upon a promontory,
And spies a far-off shore where he would tread,
Wishing his foot were equal with his eye,
And chides the sea that sunders him from thence,
Saying, he'll lade it dry to have his way:
So do I wish the crown, being so far off;
And so I chide the means that keeps me from it;
And so I say, I'll cut the causes off,
Flattering me with impossibilities.
My eye's too quick, my heart o'erweens too much,
Unless my hand and strength could equal them.
Well, say there is no kingdom then for Richard;
What other pleasure can the world afford?
I'll make my heaven in a lady's lap,
And deck my body in gay ornaments,
And witch sweet ladies with my words and looks.
O miserable thought! and more unlikely
Than to accomplish twenty golden crowns!
Why, love forswore me in my mother's womb:
And, for I should not deal in her soft laws,
She did corrupt frail nature with some bribe,
To shrink mine arm up like a wither'd shrub;
To make an envious mountain on my back,
Where sits deformity to mock my body;
To shape my legs of an unequal size;
To disproportion me in every part,
Like to a chaos, or an unlick'd bear-whelp
That carries no impression like the dam.
And am I then a man to be beloved?
O monstrous fault, to harbour such a thought!
Then, since this earth affords no joy to me,
But to command, to cheque, to o'erbear such
As are of better person than myself,
I'll make my heaven to dream upon the crown,
And, whiles I live, to account this world but hell,
Until my mis-shaped trunk that bears this head
Be round impaled with a glorious crown.
And yet I know not how to get the crown,
For many lives stand between me and home:
And I,--like one lost in a thorny wood,
That rends the thorns and is rent with the thorns,
Seeking a way and straying from the way;
Not knowing how to find the open air,
But toiling desperately to find it out,--
Torment myself to catch the English crown:
And from that torment I will free myself,
Or hew my way out with a bloody axe.
Why, I can smile, and murder whiles I smile,
And cry 'Content' to that which grieves my heart,
And wet my cheeks with artificial tears,
And frame my face to all occasions.
I'll drown more sailors than the mermaid shall;
I'll slay more gazers than the basilisk;
I'll play the orator as well as Nestor,
Deceive more slily than Ulysses could,
And, like a Sinon, take another Troy.
I can add colours to the chameleon,
Change shapes with Proteus for advantages,
And set the murderous Machiavel to school.
Can I do this, and cannot get a crown?
Tut, were it farther off, I'll pluck it down.

-- Henry VI, Part 3, Act III, Scene 2

GLOUCESTER
Now is the winter of our discontent
Made glorious summer by this sun of York;
And all the clouds that lour'd upon our house
In the deep bosom of the ocean buried.
Now are our brows bound with victorious wreaths;
Our bruised arms hung up for monuments;
Our stern alarums changed to merry meetings,
Our dreadful marches to delightful measures.
Grim-visaged war hath smooth'd his wrinkled front;
And now, instead of mounting barded steeds
To fright the souls of fearful adversaries,
He capers nimbly in a lady's chamber
To the lascivious pleasing of a lute.
But I, that am not shaped for sportive tricks,
Nor made to court an amorous looking-glass;
I, that am rudely stamp'd, and want love's majesty
To strut before a wanton ambling nymph;
I, that am curtail'd of this fair proportion,
Cheated of feature by dissembling nature,
Deformed, unfinish'd, sent before my time
Into this breathing world, scarce half made up,
And that so lamely and unfashionable
That dogs bark at me as I halt by them;
Why, I, in this weak piping time of peace,
Have no delight to pass away the time,
Unless to spy my shadow in the sun
And descant on mine own deformity:
And therefore, since I cannot prove a lover,
To entertain these fair well-spoken days,
I am determined to prove a villain
And hate the idle pleasures of these days.
Plots have I laid, inductions dangerous,
By drunken prophecies, libels and dreams,
To set my brother Clarence and the king
In deadly hate the one against the other:
And if King Edward be as true and just
As I am subtle, false and treacherous,
This day should Clarence closely be mew'd up,
About a prophecy, which says that 'G'
Of Edward's heirs the murderer shall be.

-- Richard III, Act I, Scene 1

Well that's settled then. Now it's just a question of what became of the two young princes.

BBC article said:
Experts from the University of Leicester said DNA from the bones matched that of descendants of the monarch's family.

Lead archaeologist Richard Buckley, from the University of Leicester, told a press conference to applause: "Beyond reasonable doubt it's Richard."
This actually strikes me as a bit of a stretch though I suppose if you have legitimate decendants and enough matches you could reach a pretty tight conclusion. All things considered it probably is him, though I don't think "proof" really applies here.

The only good thing about York is that it's legal to shoot Scotsmen within the city walls.

I take it Leeds is dive. Oddly I have two friends locally from England and both are from there.:confused:

http://www.le.ac.uk/richardiii/index.html

The search for Richard III - completed

In August 2012, the University of Leicester in collaboration with the Richard III Society and Leicester City Council, began one of the most ambitious archaeological projects ever attempted: no less than a search for the lost grave of King Richard III.

The last English king to die in battle, Richard had been buried five centuries earlier with little pomp in the church of the Grey Friars, all physical trace of which had long since been lost.

Incredibly, the excavation uncovered not only the friary - preserved underneath a council car park - but also a battle-scarred skeleton with spinal curvature. On 4th February 2013, after a battery of scientific tests, the University announced to the world's press that these were the remains of Richard III. England's last Plantagenet monarch had been found.

richardiiiportrait.jpg

Spine
http://www.le.ac.uk/richardiii/science/spine.html

A very pronounced curve in the spine was visible when the body was first uncovered, evidence of scoliosis which may have meant that Richard’s right shoulder was noticeably higher than his left.

As well as the curve that was visible when the skeleton was excavated, evidence of scoliosis can be seen in many of the individual vertebrae. The appearance of these bones should be symmetrical, but the image shows that many of the vertebrae had abnormalities in their shape.

The type of scoliosis seen here is known as idiopathic adolescent onset scoliosis. The word idiopathic means that the reason for its development is not entirely clear, although there is probably a genetic component. The term adolescent onset indicates that the deformity wasn’t present at birth, but developed after the age of ten.

It is quite possible that the scoliosis would have been progressive, continuing to get worse as Richard got older. It would have put pressure on his lungs and may have caused shortness of breath, but clearly did not stop him from leading an active lifestyle.

http://www.le.ac.uk/richardiii/science/psychology.html

‘Intolerance to uncertainty’ (IU) is a recognised condition occurring to varying degrees in many people. Richard was born into a world of conflict, a world where decisions were made and orders given, a world where execution, exile or imprisonment – or death in battle – could change the political landscape at a stroke.

IU is often characterised by rigid moral values, a strong belief in justice and the law, and a general view of the world as ‘black and white’. This is reflected in the changes Richard made to the legal system in his twenty-six months on the throne and is consistent with his actions as Lord Protector and King right up to his final ill-fated charge on Bosworth Field

http://www.le.ac.uk/richardiii/science/osteologyskull.html

1. The largest injury is this hole where part of the skull has been completely sliced away. This could only have been caused by a large, very sharp blade wielded with some force. Whilst it is not possible to prove exactly which kind of weapon caused this injury, it is consistent with a halberd or something similar. An injury like this would have been fatal.

2. Wound on right base of skull.

A second potentially fatal injury, visible in the same photograph, is a jagged hole at the top of the image (i.e. the right side of the skull). A sword or similar bladed weapon has been thrust through the bone. Close examination of the interior of the skull revealed a mark opposite this wound, showing that the blade penetrated to a depth of 10.5cm...

Disable-ist shower! I reckon it was some equal opportunities bint bogged him down in paperwork for his Motability donkey that allowed the welsh to sneak up behind him.

After reading all of this, I'm still wondering how the hell do you lose the body of a King of England and forget where the grave site is?

Richard III's remains: Leicester car park dug up

OK so the cunt was of the house of York ~spits~ but he was a king, fuck with our kings and we will hunt you down! not just bomb some third world cuntry like Afghanistan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-19361350

A bid to find the remains of England's King Richard III is starting more than 500 years after his death on a Leicestershire battlefield.

A University of Leicester archaeological team is digging in the city's Grey Friars car park where they think he may have been buried.

King Richard III was killed at Bosworth in 1485 and his body taken to a Franciscan Friary in the city.

We didn't lose our President Kennedy's body. You lost a King's body for over 500 years. And our grassy knoll is still there, yours is a parking lot now.

We didn't lose our President Kennedy's body. You lost a King's body for over 500 years. And our grassy knoll is still there, yours is a parking lot now.

Let's see how good your record keeping looks after six hundred years.

Jinx is making me watch Gavin and Stacy. Not sure how that fits in but there you have it.

After reading all of this, I'm still wondering how the hell do you lose the body of a King of England and forget where the grave site is?
:D
Throws me a little too.

article said:
The last English king to die in battle, Richard had been buried five centuries earlier with little pomp in the church of the Grey Friars, all physical trace of which had long since been lost.

Well he did not reign long and may not have been popular wih he locals, or anyone else for that matter.

If the grave was not "honoured" it might well disappear from public memory. It seems it did in this case.

I did not even know the body was missing until this story broke.:rolleyes:

Disable-ist shower! I reckon it was some equal opportunities bint bogged him down in paperwork for his Motability donkey that allowed the welsh to sneak up behind him.

Please repeat that in slightly less English English.

Back