2012 Survivor News & Views: Announcements and Discussions for the Survivorphile

This one-living-breathing person votes NO CHAPTERS.

Did I say too much, Crim?:D

NO CHAPTERS

It's amazing how we go from having like 20 something voters to less than 10 just by making sure to clarify the rule is "one person, one vote."

At this point it's pretty much decided so there's no point in voting, so I'm abstaining on the grounds that it was made very clear to me that if you're not playing to win this contest you're not really worth the time of it.

Good luck to all.

It's amazing how we go from having like 20 something voters to less than 10 just by making sure to clarify the rule is "one person, one vote."

At this point it's pretty much decided so there's no point in voting, so I'm abstaining on the grounds that it was made very clear to me that if you're not playing to win this contest you're not really worth the time of it.

Good luck to all.

You're vote counts. Crim is counting all of them.:cool: Not everybody is here every day.

You're vote counts. Crim is counting all of them.:cool: Not everybody is here every day.

I meant more it wouldn't matter since the result is pretty landslidish already. I just don't want to cause trouble since I'm doing survivor for the hell of it as opposed to the big cash prize at the end.

Okay so the rules stand as is. No chapters per the outcome of the vote. Since nothing was ever settled on the novels and novellas I put forth that we leave it as is for this year. We can change it for next year if we ever come to a concise concensus.

Okay so the rules stand as is. No chapters per the outcome of the vote. Since nothing was ever settled on the novels and novellas I put forth that we leave it as is for this year. We can change it for next year if we ever come to a concise concensus.

Okay, so that's no chapters, as you define chapters in your Post 15 here. I can live with that, since everybody will have the same restrictions, even though I believe you are taking an excessively broad view of "chapter."

Okay, so that's no chapters, as you define chapters in your Post 15 here. I can live with that, since everybody will have the same restrictions, even though I believe you are taking an excessively broad view of "chapter."
Fair enough, that satisfies me.

I write for fun anyhow, not to make money. I hope to finish the Marian and Ryan series and most of the Angel Jones series, even if they are worth no points.

I think it should be clear, though, this only applies to genres. Stories accepted as entries in theme contests can count on your Survivors' Contest even if they are considered to be chapters.

I'm okay with holding off on the Novel discussion and I'm cool with the chapters being withheld.

Just to clarify - chapters are allowed in Chain stories and Novels, but no where else.

I'm okay with holding off on the Novel discussion and I'm cool with the chapters being withheld.

Just to clarify - chapters are allowed in Chain stories and Novels, but no where else.

That's correct, except they are also allowed as a theme contest entry if Literotica accepts them.

Box is talking about what is considered a "chapter" by survivor, but not considered a chapter by Literotica for the purposes of themed contests.

So something that might get kicked from survivor as a chapter could still be counted toward your themed contest bonus if it is accepted to the themed contest.

Erin's point is that rule 6 seems to conflict with what Box was saying (which he is stating rule 15). Rule 15 says, "If it's accepted to the special contest, it counts for survivor) whereas Rule 6 says, "If it's a chapter it doesn't count."

My understanding is that all stories that count for points can not be chaptered stories.

Novels & Novellas and Chain Stories can be chapters. As long as an entry in a theme contest is accepted by Lit., it can be counted in Survivors' as a theme story entry.

If this is the case then what stops people from posting a 7 chaptered story (one chapter for each contest) and simply adding a little comment about the theme to get it counted as a contest story?

Erin

I've done something like this, and I'm sure others have too. I entered Donna and Kevin episodes in at least three different theme contests, although they would have been considered chapters in an ongoing story. :eek:

Stroke stories ( which if you face facts, is what most people come here to read ) have a completely different dynamic from a more involved story. Each sexual episode is a tale in and of itself, which serves the purpose for which it was written - getting the reader hot and bothered.

By survivor standards, they're chapters, because any "plot arc" they have would require you to read previous installments to see the progression of the characters.

That's not the point of a stroke story, though. The arc is a bonus for people who enjoy the characters and read every installment. For everyone else, a stroke story is masturbation fuel.

The themed contests recognize these as individual tales - not chapters - because the site is built on a backbone of stroke, and Laurel gets the dynamic. Survivor has a tighter line on it, and considers these chapters.

( Which punishes stroke writers for giving the readers new tales about characters they love, because all you would have to do is change the names to eliminate the "arc". Doing that would make them stories instead of chapters by survivor standards, but takes away from the author's ability to deliver what the readers want. )

O.k. I'm going to be a bitch here and probably regret this but that makes no sense whatsoever.

I read over the rules many times and understand the immunity system to be that one immunity counted for one story, as it was in past years. Therefore if I had 6 immunities I needed 6 stories for them to count.

Well no it's caps which means if I wanted to use 6 immunities I'd need to write 18 stories (3 stories in 6 categories). I made the mistake in interpreting the rules and lost out on a lot of points in 2011.

So now a new rule has been revealed that is not written in the official rules and unless we had this discussion I would have not known that chaptered stories can be counted.

So I guess the last 3 weeks of arguments over chapters versus no chapters could have been solved in a really easy way. Yes chapters are allowed as long as they are posted as part of the contest.

Just frustrated and confused....

Erin

Erin, I've never seen any rule or discussion in previous years that said chapter stories could be counted for Survivor if they are special contest stories. So I am as confused on that one as you are. If we aren't allowing chapters, then it should be for *anything* Survivor related...including special contests.

I believe as the rule stands now that the only way a chapter story can fall into the the Survivor Contests - themed contests - is if it relates to a chain story, or a novel/novelette chapter.

A chapter that doesn't fit into either one of those categories should not be allowed in the contest.

Edited to add: You still should only be allowed one chapter per chain story.

Meaning I couldn't add my Royal Sacrifice 13 to the special contest because I have already listed Royal Sacrifice 8 in the chain story category.

Erin, I've never seen any rule or discussion in previous years that said chapter stories could be counted for Survivor if they are special contest stories. So I am as confused on that one as you are. If we aren't allowing chapters, then it should be for *anything* Survivor related...including special contests.

I have always been under the impression that anything accepted by Lit. as an entry in a theme contest can be counted in the Survivors' Contest as a theme contest entry, worth five points. The theme contests have rules against chapters, but their definition is different from that of the Survivors' Contest. :confused:

I have always been under the impression that anything accepted by Lit. as an entry in a theme contest can be counted in the Survivors' Contest as a theme contest entry, worth five points. The theme contests have rules against chapters, but their definition is different from that of the Survivors' Contest. :confused:

And that's the problem though, you're getting back to the "if it's accepted" bit. Wasn't that part of the whole argument for allowing chapters into Survivor in the first place and the whole argument for why stories still only have to be 750 words for Survivor? The Lit accepts them so we should.

The rules as written are simple, rule 6 says No chapter stories except for chains (which by definition are chapter stories) and novels and novellas.

If chapters were allowed for the theme contests Red could actually do what she suggested.

Chain story chapter 1 in the chain category then have the rest of the chapters count in the theme contest categories--after all, she can only count 1 chapter for the chain story category, but the others would be in the special contest category.

This level of confusion is why I was suggesting a chapter story category (which would have filled things two fold since it could have allowed extra chapters of Novel and Novellas stories to be thrown in there too (without needing the 7500 word minimum that survivor imposes either). But in the end the decision was no chapters, so as I read the rules Rule 6 would be above all. We've already established that just because lit accepts it doesn't mean it's accepted for survivor.

And Erin, I've noticed that too, it progressed from unlimited immunities, to one immunity per story to one immunity per filled cap level.

If chapters were allowed for the theme contests Red could actually do what she suggested.

Chain story chapter 1 in the chain category then have the rest of the chapters count in the theme contest categories--after all, she can only count 1 chapter for the chain story category, but the others would be in the special contest category.

I think you misunderstood my example.

My example was that a person could only place a chain story in a themed contest IF the chain story chapter had not already been placed previously in the chain story category.

Let's say the writer has the following chain story chapters in their submission page, completed in the year 2012

Laresa's World Ch. 1
A Royal Sacrifice Ch. 8
A Royal Sacrifice Ch. 13
On the Bus: Oral Concert
Dry Valley Ch. 15
Dry Valley Ch. 20

The scoring would look like this:

Chain story

3 pts - Laresa's World Ch. 1
1 pt - A Royal Sacrifice Ch. 8
1 pt - On the Bus: Oral Concert
---- cap level 1 ----

Theme contest:

Valentine contest: Dry Valley Ch. 15

* Chapter 13 of A Royal Sacrifice is not listed anywhere, because Ch. 8 was listed in the chain story category. Dry Valley 15 is assigned entry into the Valentine Contest and therefore Dry Valley 20 cannot be listed anywhere either.

IF a chapter story is allowed in the theme contests for Survivor, then it has to be only a chain story that has never been listed in the chain story category, or it has to be a novel/novelette submission.

Novel/Novelettes would be the place where you'd have the multiple chapters sliding into theme contests, because there is no rule on only allowing one chapter per novel/novelette in the contest, like there is with the chain story.

So you could have this:

Novel/Novelette:

3 pts - 12 Days of Hrive 'Isia Ch. 1
1 pt. - 12 Days of Hrive 'Isia Ch. 2
1 pt. - 12 Days of Hrive 'Isia Ch. 3

Theme contest:

Valentine Day: 12 Days of Hrive 'Isia Ch. 4
Earth Day: 12 Days of Hrive 'Isia Ch. 5
Nude Day: 12 Days of Hrive 'Isia Ch. 6
etc...

I believe and I don't mind folks pointing out if I'm wrong, but the way the rule states NO chapters except chain stories and novel/novelette - then theme contests have to be stand alone stories - otherwise if you allow chapters the above examples are allowed.

I think you misunderstood my example.

My example was that a person could only place a chain story in a themed contest IF the chain story chapter had not already been placed previously in the chain story category.

Let's say the writer has the following chain story chapters in their submission page, completed in the year 2012

Laresa's World Ch. 1
A Royal Sacrifice Ch. 8
A Royal Sacrifice Ch. 13
On the Bus: Oral Concert
Dry Valley Ch. 15
Dry Valley Ch. 20

The scoring would look like this:

Chain story

3 pts - Laresa's World Ch. 1
1 pt - A Royal Sacrifice Ch. 8
1 pt - On the Bus: Oral Concert
---- cap level 1 ----

Theme contest:

Valentine contest: Dry Valley Ch. 15

* Chapter 13 of A Royal Sacrifice is not listed anywhere, because Ch. 8 was listed in the chain story category. Dry Valley 15 is assigned entry into the Valentine Contest and therefore Dry Valley 20 cannot be listed anywhere either.

IF a chapter story is allowed in the theme contests for Survivor, then it has to be only a chain story that has never been listed in the chain story category, or it has to be a novel/novelette submission.

Novel/Novelettes would be the place where you'd have the multiple chapters sliding into theme contests, because there is no rule on only allowing one chapter per novel/novelette in the contest, like there is with the chain story.

So you could have this:

Novel/Novelette:

3 pts - 12 Days of Hrive 'Isia Ch. 1
1 pt. - 12 Days of Hrive 'Isia Ch. 2
1 pt. - 12 Days of Hrive 'Isia Ch. 3

Theme contest:

Valentine Day: 12 Days of Hrive 'Isia Ch. 4
Earth Day: 12 Days of Hrive 'Isia Ch. 5
Nude Day: 12 Days of Hrive 'Isia Ch. 6
etc...

I believe and I don't mind folks pointing out if I'm wrong, but the way the rule states NO chapters except chain stories and novel/novelette - then theme contests have to be stand alone stories - otherwise if you allow chapters the above examples are allowed.

No, I understood your example just fine. Going by box's interpretation, rule six wouldn't apply at all to the theme contest stories in survivor. If the no chapters part applies, then the chain stories rule wouldn't apply to it either. His interpretation was if it was accepted to the theme contest, it would count. So in that case, in your example Laresa's Word Chapter 1 could go in the chain category for scoring. If Chapter 2 got accepted for Valentines day it could go in the Valentines day scoring area, after all, anything accepted for a theme contest would be valid for survivor. Same if Chapter 3 counted for Earth day, chapter 4 for nude day, etc. Chapter 1 would still be able to be in the chain stories category for scoring because it's the only chapter of that chain in said category. That's what I was getting at.

Back