I like Ships too

I toured her sister, the USS Missouri many times when it was in Bremerton, WA first as a Cub Scout in the 1960s and on the final day of public tours before it was relocated to Pearl. I noticed the hatch on the bottom of #1 turret was open and although it was roped-off to discourage the public, I jumped the rope and stuck my head inside. What a cool office! There were several VIPs sitting at the state-of-the-art targeting and original firing controls talking. They were rather surprised seeing me pop in but no words were said to me and I knew to not take pictures.

I also had a public tour of her sister USS New Jersey and enjoyed a lengthy talk with a Master Chief. NJ was still operational at the time and this was shortly after the Battle of the Faulkland Islands where Sheffield was destroyed by an Exocet missile. I asked about the vulnerability of NJ concidering missile technology and the answer was two-fold: #1: assuming one or more missiles got through "unlikely" and #2: it was assumed NJ could absorb ten direct hits and maintain operational, around 50%.

Then the Chief pointed to a 'modern' Guided Missile Frigate and called it a "Three Minute Ship" ... he explained Sheffield sustained a thermite fire fed by a combination of aluminum and steel whereas NJ was only steel.

Thanks for reviving great memories.
 
Last edited:
N/S Savannah - a nuclear cargo ship. I do some consulting work for the company handling the Health Physics for the ship while it's laid up in Baltimore.

ns_savannah_2008.jpg
 
In Hollywood, it is considered important to be on the right list.

I'm guessing that is less true where this picture was taken.
I've seen that ship in the Solent before - it left a hole in the water a meter deep that we sailed through five minutes later... That's some sort of displacement huh?!
 
It has been reported that the ship was deliberately run around by the Master and Pilot because it was in imminent danger of capsizing.

If it had capsized in the narrow deep water channel, it might have blocked the port of Southampton for months. As it is, it might take months to move it off that sandbank.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/crew-grounded-stricken-ship-avoid-capsizing-184444714.html#vnPzGsr



I'm amazed those damn things don't just roll over. They don't look very seaworthy.

They are, in fact, plug ugly.




 


I'm amazed those damn things don't just roll over. They don't look very seaworthy.

They are, in fact, plug ugly.


The news gets worse. That ship was carrying a cargo of Bentleys. :(
 
Last edited:
"[Ship's Company] sweepers sweepers, man your brooms! Sweep the ship fore to aft. Don't pester the riders."
 
Back
Top