Tornadoes from hell.

It's all over the news here. I hope you're doing alright. Stay safe. :rose:

Tornado sirens went off for about 15 minutes, but obviously a doppler detected signature, because there was nothing remotely indicative of a tornado in sight.

In less than a half an hour, the sun was shining.

Looks like one hit in Washington, IN - about 13 miles north of my hometown, which was blasted by a tornado in '90.

Last edited:
Illinois certainly took a pounding today.

http://www.cinewsnow.com/

I have a roof over my head and the power is on. That's more than many can say this night.

Tornado sirens went off for about 15 minutes, but obviously a doppler detected signature, because there was nothing remotely indicative of a tornado in sight.

In less than a half an hour, the sun was shining.

Looks like one hit in Washington, IN - about 13 miles north of my hometown, which was blasted by a tornado in '90.

I saw the news today...glad to know you are okay. :rose:

Wind's picking up here, but we're not anticipating too much trouble. I think I'll shower tonight though, just in case we don't have power in the morning.

I'm concerned about friends in the Midwest tonight though. I'm hoping it's just that the power is out.

Has anyone actually seen the storm damage?

Or did you just trust the news?

Has anyone actually seen the storm damage?

Or did you just trust the news?

We have storm damage here in the middle of the state, but no tornadoes. The damage pics I've seen of other communities is devastating.

I trust what I experienced today while I was out in it, tying things down. Found one of my trash cans 3 blocks over. The frame to my garden swing is nowhere to be found.

I trust the call I got from a friend who let me know that although her mother no longer has a home, she's alive and her minor injuries have been treated.

I trust the roof I saw lying in front of a house while I was driving into town.

I trust the fact that I cannot locate and have not heard from a cousin in the direct path of all this.

Here's another link showing a couple of the twisters:

http://www.weather.com/news/tornado...7?hootPostID=fd722475d86059ea042f86c62e54dcda

The damage in Illinois is unbelievable. Towns like Washington, Coal City and Pekin have whole areas wiped off the map. What the hell do you do when your house is a pile of kindling and sheetrock? Just be glad to be alive, I suppose.

Here's the Weather Channel article, vids and photos: http://www.weather.com/news/weather-severe/severe-outbreak-aftermath-updates-20131117

My heart goes out to those poor souls who've lost everything.

My daughter is in a recently renovated dorm in the south Loop of Chicago. She said the windows were groaning with the wind shifts earlier today. I'd like to say she stayed warm and dry, but the silly girl went out shopping when the Bears game resumed (figuring if the game restarting was a reasonable 'all clear'). She called me during that foray, and half her words were lost due to wind gusts.

I'm not in Illinois but I am without power. Estimated restoration time is Thursday 11pm.

Major winds and rain, but I haven't had a chance to check local stations for area damage.

Central Illinois American Red Cross

I trust what I experienced today while I was out in it, tying things down. Found one of my trash cans 3 blocks over. The frame to my garden swing is nowhere to be found.

I trust the call I got from a friend who let me know that although her mother no longer has a home, she's alive and her minor injuries have been treated.

I trust the roof I saw lying in front of a house while I was driving into town.

I trust the fact that I cannot locate and have not heard from a cousin in the direct path of all this.

Here's another link showing a couple of the twisters:

http://www.weather.com/news/tornado...7?hootPostID=fd722475d86059ea042f86c62e54dcda

Molly, I remember you being so generous when we had a disaster this spring in Texas.

The damage in Illinois is unbelievable. Towns like Washington, Coal City and Pekin have whole areas wiped off the map. What the hell do you do when your house is a pile of kindling and sheetrock? Just be glad to be alive, I suppose.

Here's the Weather Channel article, vids and photos: http://www.weather.com/news/weather-severe/severe-outbreak-aftermath-updates-20131117

My heart goes out to those poor souls who've lost everything.

Then we obviously need a tornado disaster fund.

Since we get a lot of disasters here in Texas, I donate to the American Red Cross every month.

Here is the link for the Central Illinois American Red Cross:
http://www.redcross.org/il/peoria

It's easy to donate online. I donated today. Hope it helps. Really concerned about everyone in Illinois. Terrible time of year with winter weather coming.

We live with this nonsense 2-3 weeks out of the year EVERY spring in the middle of the country. Moore, Oklahoma pretty much gets devastated every year. If I ever see another one, it will be too soon.

I'm not in Illinois but I am without power. Estimated restoration time is Thursday 11pm.

Major winds and rain, but I haven't had a chance to check local stations for area damage.

Sing out, Lynn. Are you back in power?

Molly, I remember you being so generous when we had a disaster this spring in Texas.

Since we get a lot of disasters here in Texas, I donate to the American Red Cross every month.

Here is the link for the Central Illinois American Red Cross:
http://www.redcross.org/il/peoria

It's easy to donate online. I donated today. Hope it helps. Really concerned about everyone in Illinois. Terrible time of year with winter weather coming.
All of Washington, Illinois is basically without homes now. A lot of people are displaced and the temps are now below freezing--at least in the night. Finding accommodations close to what's left will be a challenge for many.

A few years back, when my town was so badly hit, over 300 families has no homes to return to. They were from all walks of life, with many worried about looters taking what was left. Can you imagine someone actually doing that, taking advantage of someone who has lost nearly everything? Well, many people set up tents in front of their homes and refused to leave. Ah, but this is Illinois and the spring weather soon gave way to winter's final attack and seven days later there was a blizzard. Those intent upon protecting their property had to give up and move into a high school gym with the rest of the displaced. I suppose it wouldn't have been so bad if many of the local hotels hadn't been damaged as well. That was a rough year, because another week went by and more tornadoes hit the same area--not as bad, but still devastating.

Sing out, Lynn. Are you back in power?

All of Washington, Illinois is basically without homes now. A lot of people are displaced and the temps are now below freezing--at least in the night. Finding accommodations close to what's left will be a challenge for many.

A few years back, when my town was so badly hit, over 300 families has no homes to return to. They were from all walks of life, with many worried about looters taking what was left. Can you imagine someone actually doing that, taking advantage of someone who has lost nearly everything? Well, many people set up tents in front of their homes and refused to leave. Ah, but this is Illinois and the spring weather soon gave way to winter's final attack and seven days later there was a blizzard. Those intent upon protecting their property had to give up and move into a high school gym with the rest of the displaced. I suppose it wouldn't have been so bad if many of the local hotels hadn't been damaged as well. That was a rough year, because another week went by and more tornadoes hit the same area--not as bad, but still devastating.

My power is on and I'm back home but there are still pockets of outages in the area.

I stayed with a friend in town, where the lights didn't even flicker.

I was at a comic book convention this day, when the sunny sky turned black in minutes. I got a call that we were under a tornado watch, fortunately for me, it went right past us, unfortunately for the people south of us, they weren't so fortunate.

Back