What are you fuckers reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I very seldom pre-order books that are gonna be released next month, but the advance reviews of this book are phenomenal...
20821107.jpg

THE GOLEM OF HOLLYWOOD

I love his wife's books but have never read his. What kind does he write?

Finally beginning last "Part" (I think) of "The Ophelia Cut" by John Lescroart... If it has Hardy & Glitsky in it, it's like a magnet attracting me!!

Trying to slog my way through Thomas Piketty's Capital in the 21st Century.

I found it exciting the first few chapters but now that I'm in the thick of it...it feels a bit monotonous.

Nonetheless, I'll def admit it is as accessible a piece of writing as it gets (as far as economics writing goes). If you're at all interested in the economy, wealth, or even passing on what you have left to your heirs, its an interesting, if daunting, read.

Haven't skimmed through the thread yet but assuming at least one other person has put this.

Finished The Ophelia Cut by Lescroart; Not bad for first 400, but bit of a letdown at the tail end... Bought King And Maxwell by Baldacci today; Probably wait till weekend to start it. (SO hoping that show comes out on DVD, so I can have more Romjin to watch.)

Have only gotten through the first half dozen stories, but some really excellent writing. I like turning to an anthology of short stories in a genre, usually SF, when I know my schedule is too erratic to commit to a novel.

years-best.jpg

I've just finished a volume of Hemingway's short stories. Well I say finished, I actually gave up on it because it was largely boring, brain numbing crap.

I read his "The Old Man and the Sea" years ago and enjoyed that, but seems it is the only decent thing he produced.

I've just finished a volume of Hemingway's short stories. Well I say finished, I actually gave up on it because it was largely boring, brain numbing crap.

I read his "The Old Man and the Sea" years ago and enjoyed that, but seems it is the only decent thing he produced.

If you believe that, look for video of the "Colbert Report" episode where Stephen discusses a Hemingway story chosen by his Book Club. (He admits it's a ripoff of Oprah's idea.)

After discussing Hemingway's real life & the book, he then goes on to discuss both with family-descendant/actress Mariel Hemingway, as well as Michael Chabon, who (IMO) might be the best writer of this generation.

Just finished Sumerian Mythology by Samuel Noah Kramer - dry but interesting and only 130 pages.

I am also reading a Novel called "The Vatican Betrayal" which I got on Kindle. The author appears to be Chinese though his name is Nicholas Spratt. The action is set in Italy and the author is very good on both Italian and Chinese detail. A bit Dan Brownish but much better.

you probably only enjoyed it because you could finish it in an hour :rolleyes:

Just finished Colorless Tsukura Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage

Just finished Theodore Sturgeon's The Dreaming Jewels, and tomorrow will start Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go. Excited for that one - had it recommended to me by a number of colleagues in grad.

Just finished Theodore Sturgeon's The Dreaming Jewels, and tomorrow will start Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go. Excited for that one - had it recommended to me by a number of colleagues in grad.

hope it's better than "an artist of the floating world", which wasn't a compelling read in any way

Sean says to let y'all know that he will most likely pick that book up so let him know how it goes.

I just got back from the bookstore I was dragged to and got NOS4A2 by Joe Hill and an Amanda Quick novel from the bargain bin.

The price of actual books needs to come back down or I will never pick up a real one again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back