The Construction Thread

rosco rathbone

1. f3e5 2. g4??
...for construction workers, contractors, engineers, architects, tradespeople, and anyone else who works with their hands or makes money off of those that do.

Tell tall tales, bitch about the industry, post pix of jobs you've done, whatever.

Anything goes.

So I'm looking at the latest issue of my International magazine. In the "Safety and Health Department Report", there's a long screed about how we all need to vote Democrat this election. It ends with this:

...Now I know that some of our good union members vote Republican for one reason or another, whether it be the gun issue, abortion, gay rights, or whatever your issues are...

The "gay rights" thing is what caught my eye. Could anyone be such a fucking tool as to vote for the reverse side of the buttered bread just because of someone else's hole preference?

Yikes.

...for construction workers, contractors, engineers, architects, tradespeople, and anyone else who works with their hands or makes money off of those that do.

Tell tall tales, bitch about the industry, post pix of jobs you've done, whatever.

Anything goes.

So I'm looking at the latest issue of my International magazine. In the "Safety and Health Department Report", there's a long screed about how we all need to vote Democrat this election. It ends with this:

...Now I know that some of our good union members vote Republican for one reason or another, whether it be the gun issue, abortion, gay rights, or whatever your issues are...

The "gay rights" thing is what caught my eye. Could anyone be such a fucking tool as to vote for the reverse side of the buttered bread just because of someone else's hole preference?

Yikes.

Probably so. I've heard of stranger reasons as to where to cast a vote.

That being said, most of the contractors, builders and plumbers that I have worked with through the years. Are mostly Republican. Though the younger generation seems to be more liberal than conservative.

Workmen's comp. is killing us. The bastards. We're paying 51% on the dollar. How the holy hell are we supposed to make a living. :mad:

I worked in a basement on a job in San Francisco. I had the advantage of being nearly level with the sidewalk. Being the gentleman that I am I did not look up any of the guys legs. I saved my viewing pleasure for the ladies. It was a wonderful day!

My kitchen last year went from this:

kitchen.jpg

In the middle of everything:

S6300071.jpg

To this:

S6300103.jpg

I always have problems with cities. They approve plans and then wait until work is done on something before they say 'you can't do that.' I once threw a table saw through a wall because of that.

Probably so. I've heard of stranger reasons as to where to cast a vote.

That being said, most of the contractors, builders and plumbers that I have worked with through the years. Are mostly Republican. Though the younger generation seems to be more liberal than conservative.

Maybe it's because I'm in one of the last bastions of Northeast/immigrant/Democrat/union/working-class power, but I've noticed a lot of tension between the natural social conservatism of the working class and the desire to vote against Big Business. It has gotten weirder and more tense in the last 8 years.

Workmen's comp. is killing us. The bastards. We're paying 51% on the dollar. How the holy hell are we supposed to make a living. :mad:

Even being self employed is costing more. No claims ever. Now I'm limited on what type of work I can do. (From a cost standpoint).

I was once on a rather large jobsite, ( A community rec center), and the masons helpers (laborers), were moving pallets of big 16 inch blocks around, with a big Lull type forklift.

The dumbasses had WAY too much weight on the forks, and the back wheels of the lift kept coming off the ground. The entire forklift was teetering.

So, the leader tells 5 guys to jump on the back of the lift. The back wheels came down, and the driver started to lift the forks. There was a very loud bang, and the forklift "chain" broke.

It was basically a huge forklift like this:

527.jpg

The general contractor was fucking pissed off. lol

I always have problems with cities. They approve plans and then wait until work is done on something before they say 'you can't do that.' I once threw a table saw through a wall because of that.

KRC, I saw something you posted in a Lunchynice/911 thread. Do you have experience with structural steel?

Does any contractors/Architects, etc. use PlanWell or another online plan ordering service. If so, please tell.

Colorado roofers, I've heard. Pay a dollar on the dollar. Outrageous.

I was always on the lower end. Electricians don’t get hurt much, you’re either OK or you’re dead. It doesn’t cost much to bury you. At least that’s the way my insurance agent explained it to me – thoughtful bastard.

n the twenty years I was in business I paid out tens of thousands in comp and contractors insurance - total claims $1.500 - what a rip off.

In another life, I'm going to turn wood into furniture. All I ask is for a really big workshop and lots of tools, and maybe for a dog to wait for me by the doorway.

Slowlane, it's good to see you. I'd like to see the nonunion side represented here as well.

My eyes have been opened re comp this year. There's been a lot of talk about how to reduce abuses of the comp system. Obviously, it's strangling the little guy.

Back