So much more readers on group sex compared to Erotic Coupling

dansouthwest

Really Experienced
I posted 2 stories on Erotic coupling and got around 9000 views each in a couple of weeks. I Posted a new story under Group sex and got nearly 28000 views in 3 days.
I was wondering if this was because there is much more interest on Literotica for group sex as compared to E.C or was it because of the tags I put on the story? Has any other authors noticed this massive difference on the number of readers in each group?

It makes sense for different fetishes to have a different amount of readers. Some fetishes are more common than others, after all. I don't have experience with posting stories here yet, but those are just my thoughts on the matter.

So MUCH more?

You mean 'so many more'. If you could count the numbers it is many or fewer. If you can't it is much or less.

Many more people; much more milk. Fewer people; less milk.

End of grammar rant. :D

Some categories are very poorly followed. Posts in How-To, Reviews and Essays and Non-Erotic struggle to be noticed.

Incest and Loving Wives get many more views in a day than posts in the above three get in a month.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the general rule is: the less likely it is to happen in real life, the more people want to read it as a fantasy.

I remember when EC was the bomb...

To me it feels like most readers come to Literotica to exercise some sort of kink. I'd have to admit that reading about something taboo or a little bit deviant is a lot more interesting than reading about what happened the day a guy first fucked his wife.

Of course Erotic Couplings doesn't always have to be all about boring, plan old sex. Plenty of thrilling things can go on between two people similar in age and race, and opposite in sex. These sorts of hot stories are there in EC. I have seen them. It's has just become so hard to find the good stuff among the noise of mediocrity, that readership for stories in EC has become almost non-existent. Stories in the other categories have an advantage. They have kink to fall back on.

I can remember a time when EC was where all the good stories were. All the other categories seemed to be full of experimental crap, misspelled words, poor sentence structure, and bad story lines... leaving little doubt these kink specific stories were all typed with one hand. - Crap! Does anyone know were I can get some keyboard cleaner?

I posted 2 stories on Erotic coupling and got around 9000 views each in a couple of weeks. I Posted a new story under Group sex and got nearly 28000 views in 3 days.

I can't say anything about Group Sex, but EC seems to get a lot of posts and it doesn't have many readers. My Summer Lovin' entry went up on Sept 6, and as of this morning it has only 8637 views, despite being linked on the contest page and being fairly well-rated.

I think of EC as a reader's market; they have a plentiful supply of new stories, so they may not touch a story if the title, short description and author don't grab them. In categories where fewer stories are posted the readers may give anything a look.

It makes sense for different fetishes to have a different amount of readers. Some fetishes are more common than others, after all. I don't have experience with posting stories here yet, but those are just my thoughts on the matter.

Fair enough. I wasn't too sure if by putting various tags many more readers could find your story as compared to the boring one liners.

Fair enough. I wasn't too sure if by putting various tags many more readers could find your story as compared to the boring one liners.
I don't know if tags have any effect on readership. An appealing title will definitely help with readership.

So MUCH more?

You mean 'so many more'. If you could count the numbers it is many or fewer. If you can't it is much or less.

Many more people; much more milk. Fewer people; less milk.

End of grammar rant. :D

Journalists as a group are particularly accident prone when it comes to linguistic blunders:

"But then she left the show and viewers evaporated."
(That I would like to have seen! It's a trick Houdini would have been proud of.)

"When he retired from the game, audiences went into decline."
(Was their health really affected that adversely?)

"Once monsters of Rock, they have grown smaller with each passing year."

Journalists as a group are particularly accident prone when it comes to linguistic blunders:

(That I would like to have seen! It's a trick Houdini would have been proud of.)

Hahaha, those are some pretty funny blunders. We do have those occasionally here in the Netherlands, especially in some of the cheaper magazines and newspapers. Regularly get a good laugh out of them when I come across something like that.

I don't have a problem with any of those examples. They are understandable, though not literally very meaningful.

I'm guessing the general rule is: the less likely it is to happen in real life, the more people want to read it as a fantasy.

Bingo.

Reading erotica is about satisfying fantasies - often the farther from the potential for something to happen IRL, the more readers it draws, expanding outward until it reaches the threshold of fetish and then it drops off to the narrower audience for a specific fetish.

Reading erotica is about satisfying fantasies - often the farther from the potential for something to happen IRL, the more readers it draws, expanding outward until it reaches the threshold of fetish and then it drops off to the narrower audience for a specific fetish.
One's fetish is another's anathema. Incest grabs the most LIT eyeballs but many hate it. Other categories provoke similar reactions. I don't bother with some popular cats -- not my thangs.

Group Sex flexibly allows various fetishes and variant tropes to be worked in as long as they're not the dominant theme -- we can almost expect groupers to fuck weird. What's the ultimate Group fetish? Infinite random foursomes? Gerbil-pile orgies? 82-woman (or -man) daisychains? A merry-go-round glory hole? At what point would we lose readers?

Yes and no. There are a lot of readers here for escapism, but some will enjoy a story they can relate to. I have decent ratings for one chapter that's largely about the protagonist being taught to make chicken soup.

From what I can see, the categories of EC, BDSM, and Exhib/Voyeur have far far far less viewers than they used to.

Incest is still strong, as is LW.

Mature and Group Sex appear to be gaining.

The rest are about the same. That's just an approximation of mine from looking at the Hubs regularly.

Back