I did it! I submitted a "Romance" Story

I grew up with NAtional and LYcoming as the local exchanges, and YUkon and TUrner as the nearest long-distancers. Yeah, the numbers just fly in from my memory bank.

I think I recall at least 3 of those from So Cal. I'm a native Angelino.

I also remember seeing a lot of KLondike numbers. I think they were fakes and are the source of the current 555-fakes since KL=55. Could be wrong.

rj

I think I recall at least 3 of those from So Cal. I'm a native Angelino.
Those were Pomona-Ontario and San Boogaloo, where most of my family lived. NAtional was my pre-adolescent vicinity; LYcoming was the south side of town. YUkon was for calling grandparents, cousins, and forbidden friends. TUrner was for kissing cousins and early sexual experiences. Better not detail those here. NAtional included the local college campuses. We had endless fun calling dorms and requesting improbable names.

Those were Pomona-Ontario and San Boogaloo, where most of my family lived. NAtional was my pre-adolescent vicinity; LYcoming was the south side of town. YUkon was for calling grandparents, cousins, and forbidden friends. TUrner was for kissing cousins and early sexual experiences. Better not detail those here. NAtional included the local college campuses. We had endless fun calling dorms and requesting improbable names.

I grew up in a part of the country that never used the letter represented exchanges. We always just had numbers. I was aware of the lettered exchanges, but they seemed weird to me. I worked in the telephone industry when I was in college. I learned that the use of pure numbers versus lettered exchanges was a giant experiment by the phone company. As the population grew, it seems the numbered exchange method won out.

I'm currently working on a story that could benefit from having a guy find an old number listing that has a lettered exchange. I had forgotten about those. I have now have a note to work the letter exchange into the story.

I'm glad I put my two cents in on this thread and got the ball rolling on this phone number thing. I do feel a bit bad about inadvertently hijacking the thread though.

I'm currently working on a story that could benefit from having a guy find an old number listing that has a lettered exchange. I had forgotten about those. I have now have a note to work the letter exchange into the story.

I'm glad I put my two cents in on this thread and got the ball rolling on this phone number thing. I do feel a bit bad about inadvertently hijacking the thread though.
As I suggested in the plot bunny (post #24) and you picked up on, the exchange-name list can drive romantic tales. So, no threadjacking. You are innocent. Go forth, and sin no more. Or at least don't get caught. :cool:

A woman sorts through her late husband's papers. Here's a list of phone numbers with letter exchanges, a track of their past -- they moved and changed phones a lot -- each letter-pair evoking high and low points in their history. For an ominous turn, the letters form a pattern, spell out a message. Oooohhh...

Often threads that get hijacked start as procedurals. Ask a question or make an observation. Get everyone's take on it. The really interesting part begins when the thread is hijacked. The new direction it takes can be inventive and unexpected, even startling. What else could be expected of people who take their story directions from imaginary characters on a regular basis?

rj

Often threads that get hijacked start as procedurals. Ask a question or make an observation. Get everyone's take on it. The really interesting part begins when the thread is hijacked. The new direction it takes can be inventive and unexpected, even startling. What else could be expected of people who take their story directions from imaginary characters on a regular basis?

rj

Or who are imaginary characters on a regular basis. ;)

All of them would make my playlist of eternal torment and they are all immortal.
a few days ago I made the comment that "this song is on repeat in hell" about the song playing on the loudspeaker.

Because of that comment, I had thought about making a thread "Songs on Repeat in Hell" or "Songs Never to be Heard in Hell"

Hey! I got an idea for the next hijack! :nana:

Most of them aren't all that entertaining. Especially when they try to one-up their own alts.
Romance plot bunny: A schizo er I mean multiple-personality LIT poster has many alts, at least as many as their split personalities, and they're unaware of each other. They carriy on passionate SRPs and sextings with their alts. Some are incestuous and/or interracial and/or dom-sub and/or kinkily fetishistic. Do they ever find happiness? Of course, this is Romance, so an HEA ending ensues. After a few Scooby-Doo chases.

Romance plot bunny: A schizo er I mean multiple-personality LIT poster has many alts, at least as many as their split personalities, and they're unaware of each other. They carriy on passionate SRPs and sextings with their alts. Some are incestuous and/or interracial and/or dom-sub and/or kinkily fetishistic. Do they ever find happiness? Of course, this is Romance, so an HEA ending ensues. After a few Scooby-Doo chases.

That'd be a lot of HEAs. Or just one. A little of both, maybe? :confused:

Ya'll are the greatest. I come back after a long day at work and find my little thread all grown up. And look at the beauty she has become! Makes a father proud :D

Ya'll are the greatest. I come back after a long day at work and find my little thread all grown up. And look at the beauty she has become! Makes a father proud :D

This thing is still a baby. You should have been around when we had million view threads. Some with two or three hundred thousand posts. :D

This thing is still a baby. You should have been around when we had million view threads. Some with two or three hundred thousand posts. :D
Yeah, but the forum has a Logan's Run clause. Once it reaches a certain age, it goes to carousel. So page two, and proud papa, sure, why not? We can let him inflate his own ego for a little while.

not long though

Yeah, but the forum has a Logan's Run clause. Once it reaches a certain age, it goes to carousel. So page two, and proud papa, sure, why not? We can let him inflate his own ego for a little while.

not long though

That's what happened to the old big threads. Laurel instituted a 5k max to speed up things and take a load off the servers.

I am curious.

I am cooking an interracial almost-incest double romance that includes some group sex. (The white cousins and the black cousins get together after some arguments.)

Is Romance the right category?

I am curious.

I am cooking an interracial almost-incest double romance that includes some group sex. (The white cousins and the black cousins get together after some arguments.)

Okay, that has to be the post of the year! You cracked me up! Thanks Hypoxia!

I'm guessing you read my story and don't think I really hit "Romance" quite on the head. Well a few readers apparently agree with you. In my defense, there is a romantic element to the story. It's small and buried at the end, but it's there. And the story has that classic HEA feel to the ending.

But I tell you what, submitting my story in the romance category has me sold! Check out all the really cool comments. People actually discussing the characters! It is so awesome. Yeah, a couple of my pet trolls followed me in and gave me their usual, but who cares? It has a bunch of favorites and a lot of really great comments! I may put all my stories in Romance from now on.

I am curious.

YES! I really want to read those comments.

Back