Old 05-20-2017, 10:22 PM   #1976
AlwaysHungry
gadfly / bluesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline View Post
If you feel like listening to some Steely Dan, vintage 1993, this show is excellent. The band is to die for and it's nice to remember there's someone named Donald that I still really like. Check out this band:

Joining Fagen and Becker are:

Drew Zingg on lead guitar
Peter Erskine on drums
Tom Barney on bass
Warren Bernhardt on piano
Cornelius Bumpus, Chris Potter, and Bob Sheppard on saxophone
Brenda White-King, Diane Garisto, and Catherine Russell on backing vocals
Bill Ware III on the vibraphone
Boz Scaggs - guest appearance on Black Friday
That was from a good period, before Fagen's voice fried (regrettably, he has continued to tour long after he lost the ability to sing his own songs.) I notice that he is also soloing and playing a lot of keyboard. Since then he began to delegate those duties more and more to ace studio players that toured with the band.

Drew Zingg is a beast on guitar. One of my inspirations. Snazzy dresser, too.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:52 PM   #1977
Angeline
Poet Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysHungry View Post
That was from a good period, before Fagen's voice fried (regrettably, he has continued to tour long after he lost the ability to sing his own songs.) I notice that he is also soloing and playing a lot of keyboard. Since then he began to delegate those duties more and more to ace studio players that toured with the band.

Drew Zingg is a beast on guitar. One of my inspirations. Snazzy dresser, too.
Yes, one of the things I really like about this show is how good Fagen sounds. Becker, too. He kills it on both his songs. That band is the perfect balance of jazz, rock, and soul and Fagen curated that particular group of musicians from the best the various genres offer. I know some are from his fabulous Rock and Soul Revue. One of the backup singers, Diane Garisto, sang backup for Laura Nyro (always a plus for me lol).

Poems

Old 06-03-2017, 07:52 PM   #1978
Angeline
Poet Chick

A documentary about the Beatles' Sgt Pepper album is on the USA's PBS stations at 8pm Eastern time, so like in a very short time. Enjoy if you like this sort of thing!

Poems

Old 06-03-2017, 11:10 PM   #1979
GuiltyPleasure
AWTSS

Quote:
A documentary about the Beatles' Sgt Pepper album is on the USA's PBS stations at 8pm Eastern time, so like in a very short time. Enjoy if you like this sort of thing!
PVRed, thanks for the heads-up.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:02 PM   #1980
AlwaysHungry
gadfly / bluesman

Bad to the bone.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:04 AM   #1981
AlwaysHungry
gadfly / bluesman

The aptly named Victoria de los Angeles.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:23 PM   #1982
GuiltyPleasure
AWTSS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyPleasure View Post
PVRed, thanks for the heads-up.
This has been glued to my brain ever since that doc.....and what a great documentary it is.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:50 PM   #1983
Angeline
Poet Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyPleasure View Post
This has been glued to my brain ever since that doc.....and what a great documentary it is.
Watching that equals instant happiness for me.

I loved that doc! One of the really surprising things in it for me wasn't even about the Beatles. When George Martin's son mentioned that one of the Beatle's musical influences was Greek scales, he also noted a few other bands that did it. One was the Grateful Dead. I've been watching the doc Long Strange Trip. I heard that aeolian scale in a bunch of places. I knew the Dead had an early folk music influence (as well as others) in their music, but not being a musician just never noticed it until now. All knowledge comes from the Beatles apparently.

Poems

Old 06-13-2017, 06:29 PM   #1984
AlwaysHungry
gadfly / bluesman

A fine live performance with some unusual guest artists (wait for it.)

Old 06-21-2017, 10:05 PM   #1985
UnderYourSpell
Gerund Whore

Fund raising song for Grenfell Tower
If at first you don't succeed....skydiving is not for you ....
If you don't pay your exorcist .... do you get repossessed?
I shall always decide not to decide, unless of course I decide to change my mind.
....But I, being poor, have only my dreams, I have spread my dreams under your feet,Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.......
Nil Caborundum illigitimi
Sestina slut
Annie submits

Old 06-21-2017, 11:38 PM   #1986
Tzara
Formal

Warren Zevon: Jesus Mentioned.

—George Starbuck

Old 06-22-2017, 08:55 PM   #1987
AlwaysHungry
gadfly / bluesman

Quote:
Watching that equals instant happiness for me.

I loved that doc! One of the really surprising things in it for me wasn't even about the Beatles. When George Martin's son mentioned that one of the Beatle's musical influences was Greek scales, he also noted a few other bands that did it. One was the Grateful Dead. I've been watching the doc Long Strange Trip. I heard that aeolian scale in a bunch of places. I knew the Dead had an early folk music influence (as well as others) in their music, but not being a musician just never noticed it until now. All knowledge comes from the Beatles apparently.
Aeolian is also known as minor. It's the white keys on the piano from A to A, and you find it in virtually all music. The Dead were much more fascinated by Mixolydian, which is G to G on the white keys and is related to blues. If you play notes 1,3,5 and 7 of the Mixolydian mode, you get a 7th chord. It's how a harmonica works.

The Ionian mode is also known as major, C to C.

The other modes are more interesting and peculiar. They get used in jazz a lot -- Miles went through what is called his "modal" period, I think around the time of "Kinda Blue." The Phrygian mode, E to E, sounds very Arabic/Oriental and the fusion guys got into it big time around the time of Mahavishnu and Return to Forever.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:18 PM   #1988
Angeline
Poet Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysHungry View Post
Aeolian is also known as minor. It's the white keys on the piano from A to A, and you find it in virtually all music. The Dead were much more fascinated by Mixolydian, which is G to G on the white keys and is related to blues. If you play notes 1,3,5 and 7 of the Mixolydian mode, you get a 7th chord. It's how a harmonica works.

The Ionian mode is also known as major, C to C.

The other modes are more interesting and peculiar. They get used in jazz a lot -- Miles went through what is called his "modal" period, I think around the time of "Kinda Blue." The Phrygian mode, E to E, sounds very Arabic/Oriental and the fusion guys got into it big time around the time of Mahavishnu and Return to Forever.
Thank you for the kind correction and the technical info.

While I am not a musician I do know my Shakespeare. I even played Festa the clown from Twelfth Night when I was an undergrad. (Yes, a Jewish, female Festa. Oy!) So I knew The Rain It Raineth Every Day, for example. And I didn't make the connection until I watched that documentary and I thought about, again for example, Jerry's singing in that middle part of St. Stephen and realized the sound *was* similar to what I think of as early 17th C folk music.

Now Miles' modal music I know quite well and love. Just never thought about it in terms of ancient musical scales. My eagleyez adored the jazz fusion stuff Miles did with John McLaughlin. And he was a big fan of the Mahavishnu Orchestra, even saw them a few times back in the day. But like you, he was a musician, so I'm sure he thought about it in ways I never could.

Poems

Last edited by Angeline : 06-22-2017 at 10:25 PM.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:46 PM   #1989
AlwaysHungry
gadfly / bluesman

Quote:
And I didn't make the connection until I watched that documentary and I thought about, again for example, Jerry's singing in that middle part of St. Stephen and realized the sound *was* similar to what I think of as early 17th C folk music.

Now Miles' modal music I know quite well and love. Just never thought about it in terms of ancient musical scales.
Yes, St. Stephen was from what I think of as the peak of the Dead's creativity. I heard them in 1969, and many times thereafter, and over time they began to sound more and more like a very fancy garage band. In '69 they were playing something akin to jazz.

The Greek modes are the foundation of all European music. The great revolution came with JS Bach, who discovered the well-tempered system which made it possible to modulate freely to all keys. When blues players discovered Bach, we got jazz.