How do I write stories more appealing to female audiences?

As many of us here have said, yes, your story does read like a male fantasy. And that's not a bad thing, just an observation; it's only "bad" in the sense that it probably won't appeal to a lot of women.

Yeh I see what you mean. Here is a typical male response I took off another site I posted the story to: "Excellent 1st time story. It was 'spot on." Arthur has his 'slut' any time, anyway. Can't wait to read part two. "V=5+++."

Lol.
 
Maybe it depends on the section. I was nervous about posting my first submission here - it has over 3000 words of talky stuff before the action starts, and I thought that might be way too much. But the response was a lot more positive than I'd expected - seems there are at least a few readers out there who want a long introduction.

I've always had better success with longer, more evolved stories. Rather than hitting the lowest common denominator and bowing to the number of people who just want a good stroker, I'd rather put in the effort of actually developing my writing past the word 'fuck'.

Strokers can be fun and very good writing, but the fact is that the writing will tend to be poorer because someone's writing it solely to put their fantasy down 'on paper'. There is nothing wroing with doing that and some very good story lines can be in these stories. Often, however, I see the apparent story and become disappointed because the writer didn't follow it. I write to discover who I am and to entertain others along the way.

As to whether women (the topic of discussion) will be drawn to a longer development prior to the sex... I'd offer a simple two point test that may show you how women feel about development.

1. Walk into a bar and go up to the prettiest woman there and say in your deepest growliest voice, "Hey, baby, want to fuck?"

2. Walk into a bar and look at the prettiest woman (a different one, butthead), and pick out something they may take particular pride in. A pin on her dress, nice shoes, the fact that she obviously looks after herself, which requires a huge investment in time and just go up and ask her about it. Women need to be seen as worthy of being noticed, we all do. A friend of mine often uses "I wish I had your level of dedication." When the woman asks what he means he says, "You must spend hours in the gym to look like this."

Whether she does or doesn't is of no consequence. He has complimented her and the conversation is on. If she's not interested, he chalks it up as a lack of chemistry and moves on, and he hasn't come off as an asshole. I've seen him walk away more than once and a couple minutes later have the woman come over to where we're sitting and sit down.

Anyone want to see how many women follow when you've been turned down by "Hey baby want to fuck?'
 
Sorry stella but I have books that I have read of this in. Sorry if it offends you. Yes, there is some disagreement with evolutionary psychology. But there is with many other subjects.

You could also google, 'Darwin's theory of evolution debunked' and get results. But that doesn't neccessarily make Darwins theory wrong does it?
False correlation.

What I suggested was explore the scientific articles you get from that search, not the religious nutbar articles which is where you'll find the anti-Darwin opinions.

Darwin's theory has been tested and proven over and over again. EP is a new theory, untested, and still in the data-gathering stage-- it is not yet time to draw any conclusions from it.

After all this advice I'm going to say...Nothing easier.

Go to the romance category on this site and start reading. Read the ones that got top marks, gold stars and awards. There are certainly men who read the romance category, but it is still dominated by female readers. And a demonstration, and example of what they want and what they like will likely do you a great deal more good than if we make up lists of do's-and-don'ts.

Read what women like to read and you'll start to see what your stories need in order to lure them in.
Nothing harder...it's so hard to read what you are not interested in. ;)
 
False correlation.

What I suggested was explore the scientific articles you get from that search, not the religious nutbar articles which is where you'll find the anti-Darwin opinions.

Darwin's theory has been tested and proven over and over again. EP is a new theory, untested, and still in the data-gathering stage-- it is not yet time to draw any conclusions from it.

Nothing harder...it's so hard to read what you are not interested in. ;)

Stella you may like 'Bionicdance' profile on you tube. She is lesbian like yourself and she does many vlogs on philosophical, psycholgical and scientific stuff. She's preety good if you're into deep thinking stuff. I don't agree with all her stuff though, I had a couple of debates with her on the existence of an objective morality.
 
No, not a 'MILF hunt story
Milf hunt may have characterized it a little further along the fetish scale than it actually is but I still contend you are way off if you are trying to tell a female friendly may-december love story.

Also. It may come as a shock butmany women have fantasies about age difference. Young women for older men. Or young men for older women.
I think the level of experience and intelligence in the AH section of Lit pretty much assures most if not all here know about the Mature sections and the themes therein. May December being one of many and likely the one you were going for if we had to take a guess.
If the story is written well. It can appeal to females as much as the males.
Again you are "preaching to the converted" at least in the AH. This is a truism so you are correct in stating it. Does understanding this concept mean you embodied it in your own work, no, not at all.

Sorry but saying that the subject of an older 'milf' with a 19 year old as in my story is "not inhereantly female friendly" is bullshit - many older women fantasize about younger men and vise-versa. The subject is likely to arouse both genders. However I was looking for tips on how to write in such a way as to appeal more to female readers.
*Sigh* More preaching. This too shall pass... We good now? Cool. Now lets talk constructively about where you may have gone wrong.

My Friend's 43y/O Kinky Mother said:
we would prowl for pussy in the nightclubs, seeking the young ladies that prowled for cock. Like human fishing really, both genders just going out to 'get laid'. (But deep down, to really find a partner to settle down with, which is just what Mike did when he was 20)
So you are trolling for tail (and seek women who are doing the same) which = the woman is immaterial but also isnt because deep down youre not trolling for tail but love and commitment but only sort of know this on a "deep down" level. Um, wtf? You are both ends of the spectrum? If you want to go this route, GROW into the "deep down" person much later and show it with actions/change. As its currently, youre a mess.

My Friend's 43y/O Kinky Mother said:
The night turned out to be uneventful yet again, in terms of trying to get laid out on the town. We got back to Mikes house sometime after 12pm and sat on his sofa with a coffee and a cigarette, chilling out before he headed to his room and me to the spare room
Not a few sentences earlier you say how youll take care of the "mom" (this mom theme keeps coming up. Why is this woman DEFINED CONSTANTLY AS A WOMAN WHO HAS GIVEN BIRTH IN THE PAST? Surely shes done other things, has a whole persona outside of a mother. There needs to be MUCH MUCH MORE depth with her. Your female readers are DEEP and COMPLEX themselves. They want to identify with her and cant because shes a mommy cardboard cutout. No connection = no comments = no praise.

And you stated you were "trying to get laid" and failed. Already there is an inference mom is going to be "what was available" Bleck.


My Friend's 43y/O Kinky Mother said:
'Liz's tape. DO NOT TOUCH!'
So the tape device is there to parallel a future her/him coupling, right? Mom watches this stuff so shes likely to DO this stuff. So lets look at what mom can look forward to in this future event...
My Friend's 43y/O Kinky Mother said:
'The guy was tit fucking her as she held her melons together, he then grabbed her hair and started fucking her mouth vigorously. The guy then took his cock out of her mouth, pulled the sexy milfs hair back and spat in her face and mouth before continuing with the face fucking.'
A woman who is spat on, hair pulled, then "vigorously" face fucked is who you are trying to get your lady readers to identify with? :confused: I have a feeling youll say there are some women who indeed would love this. Poll the ladies here then then youll see just how narrow a subset of the female population that is.

******

As far as the rest of the story. I could cite more examples but these are enough. And an honest self review will teach you far more than a laundry list by me.

This story was not an"oh so close" to what a majority of female readers would like. It was about HIS FETISH and her being willing and physically able to satisfy that. You do try to throw in some pseudo romance here and there but it seems like its just to justify him getting all that he wanted and her very little (hes a good guy, deep down, so he should be rewarded for it) Um, yeah.

And what pleasure she does derive from the encounter happens to coincide with his needs exactly so he never really has to do anything but be present. *sigh*

I dont think you (the op) set out with bad intentions from the get go. I think you just followed the bulk of the examples around you which are hardly good leads to follow.

Is it just lip service or are you REALLY interested in getting more of a female readership?

If so, the simpliest way I can think of is tell this EXACT same tale from only her point of view. Think her thoughts, deal with her feelings, cover her motivations, satisfy HER needs.

Blend that in with his story, keep them on equal footing, and youre well on your way to getting what you are looking for.

And what the readership you desire is looking for too. :D
 
Last edited:
Nothing harder...it's so hard to read what you are not interested in. ;)
I repeat, nothing easier if you're a writer...and this is what you really want to do. I find economic theory un-interesting, but when I really wanted to write a story using it, it suddenly wasn't so boring. It had a different context--that of adding what it was going to add to my story.

IMHO, If you want to write a story about something (like a female pov), really want to, then you will find researching such--even to what women like to read--interesting. If it remains uninteresting, then you probably don't *really* want to write something like and shouldn't bother.
 
My new story

Hey all. Thanks to bashfullyshameless, PennLady, StellaOmega, Bramblehorn and sr71plt for all of their feedback, criticism and advise. I have taken on board and learned some things. I believe my latest story (though I'm completely new to writing, and still learning the ropes) is hopefully a step in the right direction to appeal more to female readership. http://www.literotica.com/s/she-begins-naive-she-ends-euphoric I still believe that women write better FOR women though.
 
Back
Top