Ghis (closed)

"Mama?" Heather murmured after another moment, lifting her head to look for Julia.

"I'm right here, love." Julia said, coming to touch her cheek gently. "I'm going to take you and Ashelin to eat breakfast with Da. Would you like that?"

Julia smiled as Heather nodded and held her hands out to be picked up. Julia easily held both girls, nuzzling against their sweet smelling hair for a long moment. She would never forget moments like that for as long as she lived.
 
Vincenzo followed her, opening up the door for her before leaving them be. He would order their breakfast for them. By the time Julia returned, Brogan had shifted into a more comfortable position and he seemed to be dozing.
 
"Da!" Ashelin called out as soon as she saw her father.

The moment that Julia set her down in the bed, the toddler was crawling to her father. She laughed brightly as Brogan wrapped a strong arm around her and held her tightly. Heather seemed unsure of what to do and Julia gently set her down on the bed as well.

"Call to her, love." Julia said softly, looking at Brogan as she decided to let Heather figure it out on her own.
 
"Heather," Brogan called softly. "C'mere, lass." She would need to learn to navigate by sound rather quickly. Once she could walk confidently on her own, Brogan would teach her to do it by touch as well.
 
Heather turned her green eyes in the direction of her father's voice, crawling tentatively towards him. When she felt his leg beneath the blanket, she smiled and then reached out to touch his face. Her fingers curled into his beard and the light in her eyes was bright with recognition.

"Da!" She called out brightly, giving him a sloppy kiss on the cheek.
 
"Hiya, sweetheart," he muttered, drawing her in close against his chest. It did him some good not to see Heather freeze or look helpless and lost.
 
Both girls were snuggled against the man that they adored. Julia smiled, watching as Brogan relaxed and held them both tightly. It did her some good to see Brogan enjoying the moment and not focused on Heather's disability.
 
"Y'gonna join us, love?" He asked when his dark eyes opened up to look at her, offering a gentle smile. The moment was never complete without her.
 
"Big softie." Julia murmured as she crawled in beside the three of them, smiling as Heather sighed in contentment. "My sweet Heath and sweet Ashelin. Your Ma doesn't know what she would do without any of you."
 
Soon their breakfast arrived and they all enjoyed a day in bed. Brogan trusted Kate and Kell to look after Inverness and Rho and Sam were studying hard as ever for the future.

As they looked over some uneventful reports for Brogan, Kell was simply enjoying the quiet time with Kate. Working with her was always enjoyable as she was confident and stubborn, but also very open to new ideas and could admit when she didn't know something.
 
Kate was studying hard, learning how to run a kingdom on her own. Kell was always there to lend his support, but she so desperately wanted to make her father proud on her own. Her sisters needed his attention now, but she wanted to get his attention for her own good deeds and ideas on disputes.
 
By the time noon rolled around, Kell got Kate's attention with a kiss. "Hey, let's take a break for lunch. You've been working nonstop since breakfast."
 
Kate glanced at Kell, startled by how much time had passed since she had first sat down. With a slow nod, she chuckled softly and agreed.

"I suppose I could take a break. Maybe Chessie can pack is something and we can eat down at the loch." She suggested. "I could do with some fresh air."
 
"I'll go ask," Kell nodded, pressing one more kiss to her cheek before he headed to the kitchens. Chessie was happy to pack a basket for them and Kell was soon walking with Kate down to the loch. The normally-grey sky had broken open in a few places, casting down columns of sunlight here and there.
 
"I'm really going to miss this place when we go to Edinburgh. There's always been something magical about Inverness." Kate said softly as she walked hand in hand with her wolf towards the loch with their lunch.
 
"You know no one will stop you from coming back when you want, especially once you put that council in its place." Kell guided her to one of their favorite spots were several large boulders jutted into the water. Kell had a habit of perching at vantage points even if he didn't always realize it.
 
"You and I both know that might take years. I can come back as often as I can try, but Edinburgh will have to become home for the both of us." Kate said softly, glancing at Kell as they both took a seat on the rocks.
 
"No one would deny Brogan Ghis a visit from his daughter, love, especially not when word spreads about his illness. Scotland respects him far too much, even those council lords, to do that to him. He'd come tear down Edinburgh's gates if they did. But then again, it may not be terribly long before Brogan's coming to stay with us for long visits. Once Rho's good and ready and plenty old enough, anyway."
 
Kate was quiet for a long moment as she thought about that, watching as Kell unloaded their picnic basket. "I know that I don't share any blood with my Da. However, would you take care of me if my mind goes like Arland's did?"
 
"Arland lost his mind because he was in love and Sarah exploited his love for her until she took absolute control. You're not going to be him," Kell assured her. "But to answer your question, absolutely I would, even if I know it's not going to happen."
 
"We don't know what the future holds, Kell. It could happen." Kate said softly, knowing that she might not go down the same path as her father, but it was always a possibility. "It would be foolish to believe that it won't come about."
 
"It's a possibility for anyone, regardless of their heritage," Kell reminded her. "You don't have to be him, just like Brogan didn't have to be his father. If he did, you wouldn't be alive right now. Your father has no bearing on who you become."
 
"I worry about it." Kate said softly as she and Kell talked about the future. "I don't have to worry about the wasting illness that Da has, but I do worry about my mind."
 
"That's what I'm here for, Kate," he told her softly. "My job as your Lord Protector will be to keep you safe and well in all regards. If things get too crazy, I won't let you go under." The position of Lord Protector was not above that of their monarch, but a Lord or Lady Protector had always reserved the right to overrule a monarch in the interest of their own safety and health, or that of the royal family. They could also overrule some things concerning the well-being of citizens, but their primary duty was to the monarch.
 
"That's good to know." She said softly as she leaned over and kissed Kell's cheek gently. "Because I will need you more than ever once we get to Edinburgh. I know Da will come as often as he can, but it will be just the two of us for some time."
 
Back
Top