Isolated Blurt Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather. Lows around 40f, highs around 60f, partly cloudy for the next 10 days. Not bad for midwinter at 3500ft.

I sure could envy you that altitude.
It's all hovering about/ above freezing round here. And it's damned draughty.

On the phone with Comcast again... on hold again... but this time I demand to speak with a supervisor, despite the annoying hold music.

Just switch. OR Get netflix and get everything else online.

I can't just switch. My only alternative is Verizon, and I'm sure after the initial period, they're just as bad as Comcast. I do have Netflix (present from my brother) but don't want to do everything online with TV.

My husband works from home, and so do I, so internet connectivity is a priority for us.

This is a billing issue that just won't die. A supervisor is supposed to call me back within 90 mins. We'll see.

I can't just switch. My only alternative is Verizon, and I'm sure after the initial period, they're just as bad as Comcast. I do have Netflix (present from my brother) but don't want to do everything online with TV.

My husband works from home, and so do I, so internet connectivity is a priority for us.

This is a billing issue that just won't die. A supervisor is supposed to call me back within 90 mins. We'll see.

And I wish you good luck with it.

Too many suppliers of whatever, internet or no, just blithely assume all is well.
It might be for the Billing System but rarely the bit for which one gets Billed.
We in the UK have got real pi$$ed off with our enquiries being handled by a
call centre in India or similar. Originally, it was a grand idea, with an educated
person who not only understood the nature of the business, but the weather in wherever and even some sporting prospects (particularly for Cricket).

Later, of course, other call centres popped up, but with a slightly less-educated person. I think my previous ISP must have been at the back of the queue
because the accent was thick enough to cut with a knife and he/she/it did not seem to understand the word "supervisor" at all.

I am pleased to report that my current ISP seems to have listened to the jokes and moans, because the Call Centre is in the north of England and I don't have a problem (unless one counts a solid Yorkshire accent).

And I wish you good luck with it.
<snip>
I am pleased to report that my current ISP seems to have listened to the jokes and moans, because the Call Centre is in the north of England and I don't have a problem (unless one counts a solid Yorkshire accent).

No call after the promised interval, I called and am now again waiting for a call back from them which will allegedly be within five minutes. Oh here it is..

ETA: They have allegedly fixed this. I spoke to "Marla," who didn't sound like a Marla and was probably at a call center in India. I almost admire how had they work to stay on script; it is often hard to get a word in. I also kind of wish I'd recorded the call. Next time.

Last edited:
No call after the promised interval, I called and am now again waiting for a call back from them which will allegedly be within five minutes. Oh here it is..

ETA: They have allegedly fixed this. I spoke to "Marla," who didn't sound like a Marla and was probably at a call center in India. I almost admire how had they work to stay on script; it is often hard to get a word in. I also kind of wish I'd recorded the call. Next time.

It never ceases to amaze me how nobody pays the slightest attention to a user (thought; have you considered putting a critical comment/ 'blog' on social media ?)
I take it that E-mail gets just as bad a result ?

BTW. Recording such calls is very beneficial. It provides incontrovertible proof of the conversation.

It never ceases to amaze me how nobody pays the slightest attention to a user (thought; have you considered putting a critical comment/ 'blog' on social media ?)
I take it that E-mail gets just as bad a result ?

BTW. Recording such calls is very beneficial. It provides incontrovertible proof of the conversation.

I think the reason they don't pay so much attention to an individual user is basically the user doesn't have much choice. If I want cable TV - and if you don't have it you almost don't have TV - then I have to go to either Verizon or Comcast. (And I do want it; I do not want to go totally with streaming services.)

I have considered a Facebook comment or something, but I don't know how much good it would do. Not everything goes viral, after all.

It's one of those ridiculous situations; all I want is my bill fixed. Yet everyone I talk to either doesn't have the authority to issue the credit, or that much of a credit, and they have to send it up the line, etc. Yet every time that happens, we seem to be charged instead of credited. It's a simple fix, but Comcast is making it difficult.

Email isn't worth it. I have chatted online with service reps a few times but when it came to the bill, I wanted to talk to someone. Although at this point perhaps I would have been better to do the online chat. I doubt it could be worse.

I think the reason they don't pay so much attention to an individual user is basically the user doesn't have much choice. If I want cable TV - and if you don't have it you almost don't have TV - then I have to go to either Verizon or Comcast. (And I do want it; I do not want to go totally with streaming services.)

I have considered a Facebook comment or something, but I don't know how much good it would do. Not everything goes viral, after all.

It's one of those ridiculous situations; all I want is my bill fixed. Yet everyone I talk to either doesn't have the authority to issue the credit, or that much of a credit, and they have to send it up the line, etc. Yet every time that happens, we seem to be charged instead of credited. It's a simple fix, but Comcast is making it difficult.

Email isn't worth it. I have chatted online with service reps a few times but when it came to the bill, I wanted to talk to someone. Although at this point perhaps I would have been better to do the online chat. I doubt it could be worse.

I take it that you are nowhere near a real TV transmitter (I have two within 100 miles).
OR maybe there's a problem with WHAT they transmit.

But I really do think a polite critique on 'facebook' or somewhere is worth doing, for two reasons.
[1] it gets it out of your head,
[2] there may be others with a similar problem; this could start a major slide, forcing the company to DO something.

Let's face it, your Bill is the reason they are in business.
Good Luck

Last edited:
It's fucked here.
My partner's nonagenarian mother is dying unpleasantly but slowly.
My partner is totally committed to getting her the best care.
In our remote locale, such is not near, nor cheap, nor totally competent.
Negligent care has damaged her; medics ignored clear signs of her ills.
What do we wish most? That she recover -- again? That she pass quickly, peacefully?
My partner is a wreck. Driven, but a wreck. I am as supportive as possible.
It's fucked here.

It's fucked here.
What do we wish most? That she recover -- again? That she pass quickly, peacefully?
It's fucked here.

I'm sorry. That's a terrible situation and I fear it's one we may face with my MIL at some point. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

It's fucked here.
It's fucked here.

I'd say "sue the bast***s" but that's a cost problem you don't need. :rose:

I'm sorry. That's a terrible situation and I fear it's one we may face with my MIL at some point. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Here Here :rose:

Thoughts & Prayers.

Thank you. It *is* very likely that bastards will be sued. We have photo evidence of the neglect, and other close kin who know what to do with it. (Warning: do not mistreat the mother of a corporate shark.) But that doesn't help mom. We're just going day-by-day now. It's tough, it really is. LIT is my escape valve from the reality.

It's fucked here.
It's fucked here.

Yes, that's so fucked. Been there. Hope it resolves itself quickly from here. My mother took five months to die after she stated she wanted to do so, had a living will, and refused food and drink (until she was too confused and weak to do so anymore, at which point the hospital laid them on again). Nothing wrong with her mind, though. When she got strong enough to think straight and lift a hand, she told both of her personal nurses (long story--a son-in-law was on the hospital board and didn't agree with pulling the plugs) that the other one would be on duty on a certain night and then, alone, she pulled the plugs herself. I wanted to cheer.

Yes, that's so fucked. Been there. Hope it resolves itself quickly from here. My mother took five months to die after she stated she wanted to do so, had a living will, and refused food and drink (until she was too confused and weak to do so anymore, at which point the hospital laid them on again).
Nothing wrong with her mind, though. When she got strong enough to think straight and lift a hand, she told both of her personal nurses (long story--a son-in-law was on the hospital board and didn't agree with pulling the plugs) that the other one would be on duty on a certain night and then, alone, she pulled the plugs herself. I wanted to cheer.

Not to put too fine a point on it, there's a plot bunny there.

Not to put too fine a point on it, there's a plot bunny there.

You want a bunny? Try this Jack Handy goodie:

I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming in terror, like his passengers.

:devil:

You want a bunny? Try this Jack Handy goodie:

I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming in terror, like his passengers.

:devil:

I'm please to say I have smiled at this one for a year or two.

So I have recently found out that due to changes to PA state laws, if I wish to be a volunteer for things at my kids' school, I will need a state criminal background check as well as a federal criminal background check. This will include fingerprints, a fee, and will be good for three years.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS.

So I have recently found out that due to changes to PA state laws, if I wish to be a volunteer for things at my kids' school, I will need a state criminal background check as well as a federal criminal background check. This will include fingerprints, a fee, and will be good for three years.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS.

Same in the UK. Until recently they weren't even transferrable so if you volunteered at two schools - two checks and two fees. Three schools and a Scout Troop? Four checks, and four fees...

No wonder many people avoid volunteering to help with children's activities.

Same in the UK. Until recently they weren't even transferrable so if you volunteered at two schools - two checks and two fees. Three schools and a Scout Troop? Four checks, and four fees...

No wonder many people avoid volunteering to help with children's activities.

I'm all for security in the schools, don't get me wrong. I just think this is unnecessary. And yes, that's what a lot of people are worried about, that people won't volunteer anymore because they don't have the money to deal with this new process, or time if needed, etc. And it's not just schools, it's almost any youth-oriented volunteer group.

I did see -- but have not confirmed -- that under some circumstances, you don't have to do this. However, one of those conditions is that you've lived in PA for ten years, and we have not. So, that means I'll need the check.

It's not the school's fault, so I'm not blaming them. And I do want to keep my hand in at the school, so I will likely do this if I have to. I also read that there was a law like this on the books, but the schools had latitude in deciding who they would require checks for. Doesn't appear they have that leeway anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back