The Lady of Skye (closed)

Ghell set to gathering all the children's things for Kitty to pack, leaving Selena and Durban to watch over their younger siblings for the moment. Vincenzo was busy making arrangements for his patients.

By the time they finished packing, it was nearly noon and Vincenzo gathered up all the children to tell them what was going on and why they suddenly had to leave. "I need you all to be on your best behavior. We're going to go down to the harbor and get on the next ferry to the mainland, and we're going to stay in the country as long as possible down the coast and that should take us into the Greek City-States, though we might see a bit of the Eastern Roman Empire on our way. I need you all to keep close and never wander off alone on our way or while we're there, understood?" Vincenzo asked them, smiling as they nodded. "We're going to an island called Kerkyru, where my mother's parents were born. I wish I could take you all the way to Athens or Crete."
 
The Children were all excited for adventure, the twins especially. Kayla had even made sure that Ben would be taken care of when Van came to tend to Durban's sheep. Ashien was telling anyone that would listen about what he was going to sketch first when they go to Greece. Kitty was relieved that they all seemed excited but she was nervous that Tamblin's men might come after them.

"If you see Tamblin's men, your first duty is to the children." Kitty murmured as she and Ghell packed. "I don't like the tone of that letter and I have the feeling that Tamblin isn't in control right now."
 
"I'll keep them safe no matter what," Ghell assured her, "just as I always have." But then he paused to look at her. "Kitty... are you going to go back at all? Or are you running?" He knew she'd wanted to stand up to Tamblin and tell him to let them all go, but he also knew that such an act took more courage than nearly anyone had.
 
"I will go back." Kitty said to Ghell. "On my own terms. And I would like the children to stay here. They are happy and healthy here. Inverness sucks the life out of my babies."
 
"You know Tamblin's men would never leave the children here," Ghell warned her. "And if he sent enough men... I'm afraid I might not be able to stop them."
 
"You don't know what I'm capable of, Ghell. I can be just as stubborn as any Ghis alive today." Kitty said with a soft smile. "Especially when it comes to my babies. Tamblin will see in time that this is for the best. Durban can still learn how to govern Inverness if that is what he wants to do."
 
"I know what you're capable of, Kitty. I just worry what those men are capable of," Ghell murmured, kissing her cheek before continuing his work.
 
When they were ready to leave, Kitty felt a little bit of a thrill. She was doing something so unexpected and outside her character. She had never defied her husband. Of course, it meant that she was playing a dangerous game, but it meant the world to her that people were willing to help her.

Kayla was seated in front of Vincenzo in the saddle, her eyes bright with the adventure of everything. She asked a million questions of the Italian, glancing towards Ashien who was seated with Ghell. He was much the same way. Kitty rode beside Durban and Boar, Brogan and Selena bringing up the rear.
 
Vincenzo answered every question he could, laughing as they just kept coming. The older children were fairly quiet by comparison, only speaking up every so often. Durban and Selena were at least partly aware of the fact they were running away.

The ferry ride was quick, and the journey down the coast seemed to fly past with all the new sights as the culture around them began to shift and change and the weather grew even warmer. When they crossed the border between Venice and the Greek City-States, they were met by a small harbor full of strange crafts, and they were going to find a charter craft to take them to Kerkyru. The languages around them were all unfamiliar, and the smells of food and spices permeated the air as Vincenzo guided the family toward the docks.

Vincenzo approached a man standing at a wooden podium at the end of a dock with a stack of papers, getting his attention and conversing with him in rapid Greek. They seemed to be haggling for a moment before Vincenzo finally paid him and a group of sailors came to load their luggage onto a beautiful mid-sized vessel at the dock they stood on.
 
Kitty was amazed at how calm Vincenzo was in the moment. While everything had been thrilling as she disobeyed her husband's order for the first time, she knew how incredibly dangerous the situation could be. Their first duty was to the children, keeping them safe and healthy. Their second duty was to one another, making sure that their relationship could survive while might happen if Tamblin indeed followed them into Greece.
 
Vincenzo brought the family on board, soon followed by a few more passengers carrying their supplies from the market who were likely Kerkyru natives. The ship set off once all the mooring lines were gathered up and the anchor raised, and Vincenzo made sure to keep everyone close. He brought them to the rail, out of the way of the crew, to watch out over the ocean in the hopes of seeing some dolphins that frequented the area.
 
Kitty stood at the railing of the boat and felt free. She had never felt that kind of freedom before in her life and she glanced towards Vincenzo with a soft smile. He was good to her and her children and she loved him dearly. Ghell was showing some of the sights to Brogan and Boar, entertaining the boys as Selena and Durban looked at things on their own. Kayla and Ashien had Vincenzo's attention entirely. It was the way that family life should have been for the Ghis family.

Kitty soon moved and placed her arm around Durban's shoulders, pulling him in close as she did the same for Selena. She knew that they understood what was happening and she could tell that they were tense with the idea of running away from Tamblin.

"We deserve happiness...if only for a little while." Kitty murmured softly, pressing a kiss to Durban's cheek.
 
"But what'll we 'ave t'pay for it?" Durban whispered. That was his greatest fear in all situations: the price. Still, he wouldn't deny his mother, so he took her hand and Selena's too.
 
"Your Da isn't a monster." Kitty said softly, the same mantra that she had told them their entire lives. "I will deal with whatever comes out way. I want this journey to be the first of many for all of you and we are going to enjoy it like a family is intended to enjoy a journey."
 
Durban said no more, simply staring out at the sea and locking away those fears like he did with so many others. He only hoped Selena could try to enjoy it too.

"Cara mia, look," Vincenzo called to her from down the rail, motioning out to where dolphins had shown up to follow the ship and jump and dive alongside.
 
Soon, Kitty and the children were gathered around the spot, watching in awe as the dolphins swam alongside the boat. The twins, especially, loved the sight of them, pointing them out excitedly to anyone that was in distance of them. Kitty just chuckled, taking Vincenzo's hand and holding it tightly. It was her silent way of thanking him for the danger that he was putting himself into doing this for her large brood. She would never forget or thank Vincenzo enough as long as she lived.
 
Vincenzo leaned over and kissed Kitty's cheek with an adoring smile, letting her know there was nowhere else he'd rather be. They watched the dolphins for a long while before they were welcomed to a meal down in the hold as part of the charter price. Vincenzo was keeping a close eye on the children, glad to see none of them suffered from sea sickness.
 
"I'm going to be a famous pirate some day, Papa." Kayla told Vincenzo, absolutely entranced with sea travel as they made their way down for lunch. "Then I can travel all over the world. Maybe even to Ireland!"
 
"No pirating, love, but sailing, yes." Vincenzo hugged her close to his side. "You can travel anywhere you like anyway, sweetheart. You don't have to be a criminal to do it."
 
"But pirates have more fun." Kayla reasoned with a pout on her lips. "Why can't I be one?"

"I'll be one with you, Kay." Ashien promised, looking at Vincenzo with a bright light in his dark eyes. "Then I can keep her safe."
 
"No pirates," Vincenzo told them firmly but with a smile. "Otherwise you'd never get to come visit us. Soldiers would catch you. I don't want to never be able to see my twins."
 
"Take a seat, you two." Kitty said, pushing them to the empty seats at the table. "Your Papa paid for a meal on this voyage and we are going to eat."

She sat down next to Vincenzo and smiled at him as he indulged the twins in their little conversation. They finally decided that they should be seafarers and fishermen instead of pirates. They could feed everyone doing that.
 
Once that little dream was settled, Vincenzo tucked into the meal too and they passed the hours with all sorts of conversation about the island and Greece as a whole. Vincenzo told them of Ancient Greece, the Spartans and the Athenians, the great Battle of Thermopylae, and so on. By the time they arrived at the island, it was dusk and the children were growing tired. Ghell carried Boar who was fast asleep, Vincenzo took Kayla, and Ashien was left to Kitty as he stumbled along trying to keep his eyes open.
 
Kitty soon lifted Ashien into her arms, kissing his cheek as his head immediately settled on her shoulder and he was out. She chuckled to herself as she glanced over her shoulder at Durban ushering Brogan along the pier. It seemed that the other three were brightly awake, taking in the sights of the docks around them.

"Excited, love?" Kitty asked Brogan, giving him a sweet smile.
 
Brogan nodded quickly, looking back to the docks as some boats came in full of fishermen. Durban herded him along and finally Brogan caught up to his mother, looking ahead to the little village.
 
Back
Top