Soldier x Soldier - Rescued (Closed to TertiusHuman)

"Yes, I'll stay."

Even though she didn't speak any further, the fact that she fell asleep spoke volumes of her exhaustion. For a long time, he sat and watched her, then he got out his phone and checked up on e-mails and texts which might have come in from home.

He heard the change in her breathing and when she started thrashing about, he was next to the bed. He quickly raised the sides to prevent her falling from the bed. He then tentatively reached out just in case she became violent, resting his hand lightly on her head, he knew using her rank would only enhance the dream induced images.

"Katherine. Katherine. I need you to relax, it is a bad dream."

He used a soft tone, close to a whisper.

"Katherine. Relax, it is a bad dream."
 
At first his restraint made her shake harder, thrashing, bucking "Please don't." She whimpered, obviously thinking he was going to hurt her. But then she heard his voice, ever so slowly, the shaking stopped. Her eyes snapped open, her body shuddered, realizing that it was all a dream finally, finally she was no longer living that nightmare. "Sorry," She whispered, sitting up, running a hand through her hair, taking a slow breath. Katherine doubted that she would fall back asleep now. Her heart was racing, her adrenaline flooding her body. She was wide awake now. Sighing she closed her eyes briefly as she tried to calm her racing heart.

Her hand shook hard as she reached for the bottle of water on her nightstand. She hated reliving the memories from her captivity, of course she still saw them with such focus, in her dream she thought she was back there, she hoped with time, the sharpness would fade, that she could realize that these were dreams only, that she could wake up to get away from it. After managing to get a sip or two of water hse set the bottle back on her nightstand, pale eyes watching Thor. "Sorry if I woke you." She whispers.
 
When she finally woke up and didn't lash out at him, he was kinda relieved, he was not sure how he would have reacted to that. When she sat up, he drew back and sat down in the chair again. Watching in the semi-darkness how she drank some water, which was a good thing.

He shook his head when she asked if she had woken him up, holding up the screen of his cellphone, "I was just busy replying to an e-mail from my sister. She always freaks out when I go silent for a few days, she knows that means that I went on a mission."

He lowered the cellphone, "Speaking of, did they contact any of your own relatives to let them know that you made it out?"
 
Kat nods, listening to him speak, the sound of his voice helped calm her. She then shook her head, "I don't know. I dont have any blood family, legally I have a brother, we adopted each other on my eighteenth birthday, but I don't k,ow if he's still alive. He's a SEAL, based in Virginia." She murmured. She hoped her brother was still alive, but his career was just as dangerous as hers, so she didn't know if he was still alive. She sat up fully, knowing she wouldn't get back to sleep. She was wide awake now

"I'd like to call him, if we can locate him, if we can't find him, I'd like to call his wife, Abigail. His name is Hunter O'Malley." of course if he was on assignment she wouldn't be able to talk to him, but the last time they'd talked, over two years ago now, he'd been talking about retiring. She hoped he had, and that was the reason he hadn't been apart of the rescue mission. "Can we go for a walk? I'm sick of staying in a same place all the time."
 
He nodded and filed away the information, he was certain that it would be possible to locate her foster-brother or his wife. Being through what she had gone through, she would need a bit of social interaction with people she knew. He locked the screen of the phone and tucked it away, the e-mail could wait.

"Sure, we can take a walk, just remember to not over stress yourself, your muscles aren't what they used to be."

He pulled open the drapes a bit, allowing more of the dusk light to enter the room, then he went over to the bed, lowering the railings to allow her to get out of the bed, pulling the IV rack closer. "You can use this to help keep your balance, I will be with you every step OK?"
 
Katherine was pleased when he agreed to a walk. Standing she used the Iv pole to steady herself. She was still weak. "I'll take it easy. I just need to be reminded that I have the freedom to do what I want." She said, freedom would be an important part of her life now. To be reminded that she could do what she wanted when she wanted. Her legs trembled as she started to walk. She chuckled, "My muscles are non existent. I mourned when I watched my body get weaker and weaker." Katherine had been very proud of her body, that she was as strong as nearly any man, that no one questioned if she was capable. It was a sad day for her, to realize that she was now as weak as a child.

The walk was short, just down the hall and back. She was exhausted by the end of it. Her breathing was deep, "That's just sad," She muttered, "I'm exhausted from a simple walk down the hall." She shook her head, sitting on the edge of her bed. But she was silently pleased that she'd done it, though her legs were shaking pretty good now, and she was tried, still she was pleased she'd done it on her own, and had the freedom to just go for a walk. Sitting on the edge of her bed she looked at Thor "Thank you, for keeping me company tonight. It's nice to not be alone."
 
He watched as she got up and stayed close as she walked, it was more shuffle, but still a walk. She actually did well, he kept pace, not hounding her, but sticking close. They got a few looks from staff and patients, but nobody intruded.

When she managed to sit back on her bed without collapsing, he was relieved, the distance was close to what she had covered during the rescue. He flicked on the room light, bathing the dark room in a faint glow. "It is no problem, just thought I'd help you out a bit."

Truth was, he was fascinated by her willpower and character, sure when he came here it was just to check up on her, but now it was a bit more than that keeping him there. "And I think you did pretty well on your second walk since we met. Keep that up and soon you will be running circles around the Rangers."
 
She have a half hearted chuckle, sipping at her water, "Oh I think it'll be a long while before I'm ready to do much more than weakly walk around." She mused, watching Thor. But her eyes looked less dead now. More life, more light in them. She sat further on her bed, stretching her legs out. "How'd you finally find me?" She asked softly, "I had long ago given up any hope of being rescued." She'd known that if they could find her, she'd be rescued. Katherine had valuable information in her brain, information that couldn't get out to the enemy.

So she'd known she would be rescued, given the chance, but Katherine had lost hope that she'd ever be tracked down. She simply thought she'd been put in a hole too dark and too deep, to ever be found.
 
He leaned forward, resting his elbows on his legs, "There was numerous operations to retrieve you and your men. But it was almost like they had inside info. Every time the teams arrived, you were gone. I was part of a few of those teams, a few times we found the cooking fires still warm, the water still steaming, but there was just no further signs."

He entwined his fingers, "It was a year ago that the brass gave up the active search and started looking again for Taliban leaders. We were sent out to a semi-permanent camp, it usually lies empty, but intel pegged them to be there for at least two days. It was during our scouting of the base that I saw one of your men. The tattoo on his back was our confirmation of identity. We saw the two leaders with him, doing an interrogation."

He paused, taking a slow breath, "We couldn't do anything to stop it. It was the boy who entered your cell who allowed us to semi-identify you. You don't look like you pictures anymore, had to go on similarities. We called it in and the brass made our snatch and grab a rescue mission as well."

He smiled at her, "Some people would say it was luck, I'd like to think that it was an intervention by God."

He grinned, "I am no zealot, but I have come to believe that there are things in this world that is beyond human explanations. So there you have it Lt. A quick debrief."
 
She listened quietly, nodding as he explained how close they'd come. She'd figured as much, with the speed they had dragged her from one camp to another. A very soft smile graced her lips when he mentioned the boy. "He was very sweet to me." She whispered softly, "I don't know why he was there, only that they treated him poorly, they often left him to do the daily care of me, when they allowed it." She mused, "Even after he tended to me, he would sit with me, shoulder to shoulder, two lost souls I suppose, though I can't say we ever spoke a word to each other, I'm not even sure he knew how to speak, I never heard him say anything to anyone."

She looked sad when talking about the boy, she knew that there hadn't been time to get him, to save him to, and even if they had, what would they have done with him? But still, she knew what life he would live, what he was left to endure, and that pained her. She curled her legs up under her, as she finished her water bottle. It might only be 4am, but she was wide awake, and wouldn't likely be going back to sleep anytime soon.
 
"Perhaps the son of illicit means. The father most likely dead and he is made to suffer for his parents' mistake. He clearly isn't a captive, not with the freedom of movement you describe."

He looked at her, "He'd have ended up being sent to the government, who would have placed him in foster care. I doubt that he would have survived that, since he know them so well."

He tapped the tips of his fingers against his knuckles, "You know Lt I could find out about the boy for you."

He got to his feet, "But first I got to make a few phone calls, I will be just outside the door, so you can just holler OK?"

He stepped outside, leaving the door open as he pulled out his cellphone. Finished and sent the e-mail and then dialled a number which connected him to Intelligence.
 
She nods when he mentions what likely would've been done with the boy. She chewed her lip for a moment when he offered to check into the boy. Finally she nodded, "Yes, I'd at least like to know he's still okay" Nodding she watched Thor step out of the room. She slid off the bed and stood shakily, she made her way to the bathroom. Returning a few minutes later she settled in the recliner next to the window, enjoying looking outside, even if it was just out into the darkness. Faintly she heard Thor's voice outside the room and it was comforting.

She thought about what life would be like when she got home. Wondered where her stuff was, her dog. She knew if Hunter was alive that he likely had her dog, or Abigail did. But after two years she figured most of her things had been dealt with. She wondered if she had been declared dead when they'd given up the active search for her. Sighing she settled further into the chair looking out into the predawn night.
 
Thor dialled a numer and it got answered by a female on the fourth ring.

"Good afternoon ma'am, this is Sargeant Thorvald Krauze US Marines. I am calling..."

"Is it about Katherine?"

He stepped back into the room, saw Katherine seated in the chair at the window and walked over, "Yes ma'am it is. Sorry to bother you at this hour. Please hold on for a second."

He held the phone out to Katherine, he knew she had questions about her life away from the Army and from the intel he gathered her "brother" had just returned from his last mission and busy clearing out for his retirement. That was most likely news Katherine could do with right now.
 
Katherine was surprised when Thor returned to hand her his phone. Answering hesitantly she murmured "Hello?" Then she gasped "Abigail?" Her voice got choked near the end. She listened to her sister in law who was crying as she talked, "It's good to hear your voice," Kat whispers, tears streaming down her cheeks silently. After a few minutes Abby handed the phone off to her waiting husband.

"Hey Katie" he spoke softly, calling her by her childhood nickname "How are you?" He asked, Kat smiles, feeling so much fear and stress lift away just from hearing her family "All in all I'm okay, Doc says I'm really lucky. Guess I'm living up to my call sign, its still so surreal." They talked for nearly an hour before finally hanging up. She looked at Thor, wiping at her tears, "Thank you, I really needed that." She whispered
 
He gave her a smile as he took his phone and dropped it into his pocket, "I thought that would do you some good. I have woken up in a few hospital beds and hearing a friendly voice is always a good thing."

He took the chair he had sat on earlier and placed it opposite her own, a few feet away of course. Then he sat down, sinking down slightly to be able to prop a foot on the window sill and resting the other foot on top of it.

"Quite a different scene of the sky here than out there. Perhaps one day soon you can go sit on the grass outside and look at the stars."

He chuckled and rested both hands on his chest, fingers interlaced as he looked out of the window in silence.
 
Katherine smiled, listening to Thor, very much enjoying the sound of his voice. Looking out the window at his mention of the sky. She tilted her head softly, "I can't remember the last time I sat outside and watched the stars." She murmured. Even before her capture, she was always 'go,go,go' never took the time to just stop and smell the roses. Or in this case, look at the stars. She idly started picking at scabs on her legs again, frustrated with her fingers wouldn't cooperate. She had a long road of recovery ahead of her, a major part, was learning to use her fingers again. She would have to relearn nearly everything, from dressing, to eating, to writing. Even simple things like picking objects up, would prove difficult now.

Though as she focused she managed to actually pick at the scabs, not necessarily a good thing, but she was pleased that she'd managed to do so with her fingers how they were. Dawn had finally arrived, and the room was slowly being bathed in a soft warm light.
 
"You really shouldn't pick at them, it is not a good thing for your system when you remove the wound covers."

He didn't actually look at her, but he had seen the motion in his peripheral vision and he knew what she was doing since she had done it before. It was at that moment that the doctor and orderly came into the room.

"Oh, you're up already. I had thought that walk down the hallway would have made you sleep."

Thor looked at Katherine then, it would be her own job to tell the doctor that she didn't actually sleep much. He pushed himself from the chair, "I have to get going as well. Chow time will be soon. I will come check in again Lt, if it's alright with you and the doctor."
 
Katherine shrugs, "I know," She murmured, reluctantly, stopping picking at her wounds. The doctor came in, talking to Kat. The brunette just tilted her head, observing the doctor, not sawing a word. She watched at Thor stood, saying he'd be back later. She nodded, "Bye," Watching him leave, she remained quiet as the doctor finished checking her vitals and left. Then came food, which she ate rapidly, as usual. She managed to nap a bit, but mostly she sat awake, looking out the window, or watching some tv show.
 
On his return, he switched to his PT gear and met the rest of the squad on the parade ground. After a rigorous PT set, they trooped to the medical tent, where they got a check-up to see if they were still fighting fit after the mission. After that came rec-time, while most guys went to take a shower and shoot the breeze, Thor went for a jog. Finishing with his jog, he hit the gym where he went through his normal weight training and only then did he grab a shower.

By the time he got dressed, they had to report for target practice, that meant weapon inspection and scoring time. Thor got his rifle and pistol, joining his mates as they moved to the firing range. Upon arrival, he stripped his rifle, going through the parts, making sure that it was all in good functioning order and then he assembled the weapon. Ready for his turn at the targets.
 
Katherine was restless most of the day, up and taking a walk before returning to her room, she looked out the window for a bit before settling in to watch TV. SHe ate lunch eagerly, and all was calm until the early afternoon. Her nurse came in with a smile. "Katherine you have some visitors." She looked up, instinctively tensing when two men came in. "Lieutenant. It is a pleasure to see you alive and well." The man said, obviously the leader. They stopped a healthy distance away from her bed, obviously her nurse had instructed them to do so, knowing that Katherine was sensitive. She was too busy trying to not panic, to notice the bars on his shoulder, to realize that he was a Major General, and that his companion was a Colonel. She just eyed them with suspicion.

They spent nearly an hour with her, praising her bravery, and her strength for not breaking. Saying that she had been a major news story back home and how relieved everyone would be that she was alive. That there would be an award ceremony upon her return for she was to be given the Purple Heart and the Medal of Honor. Katherine was not excited about such ceremonies and she didn't know if she wanted an award for what she had been through. But even so she didn't say a word about it. Really she hardly spoke at all. Katherine took a shuddering breath when they finally left, relieved to have them gone. Slumping back in her bed she closed her eyes briefly.
 
Thor was busy with his fourth target, positioned just over one klick away. As the heavy rifle spoke, the spotter next to him kept giving him feed back on the shots. So far he kept straying the shot slightly to the left and he was just drawing back on the trigger when the cease fire call came. He let out his breath and released from the trigger.

He opened the slot of the rifle and released the bullet, pushing it back into the magazine and inserting the orange flag into the slot, "Clear."

He peered down at the range officer, with him stood a lieutenant. The lieutenant made his way to the tower on which Thor was shooting from, "Sargent Krauze?"

"Yes sir."

"Report to Colonel Higgins. Double time."

"Yes sir."

Thor got up from his position, slung the rifle into position and bailed out of the tower. After securing the rifle and rinsing off his face, he was on his way to the Ops building which housed the CO's office as well. He was let in immediately and as he entered he snapped a smart salute, which got returned by the Major General. Thor stood at parade rest, not sure what to make of the brass assembled in the office.

"You are Sargent Thor Krauze, currently Pen Team Delta."

"Yes sir."

The Colonel who was with the Major looked down at the paper he held, then he spoke up, "You were the one who extracted Lieutenant Katherine Doyle from her cell."

"Yes sir."

The Major took the next question, "We understood that you spent the evening with her and that she accepted your presence. Is this correct?"

Thor nodded, "Yes sir. I am no psychologist, but I think that she associates me with safety and after all those years in the hands of the terrorists, I have now become her safe haven in this new world as well."

The Major General nodded, taking a seat on the edge of Colonel Higgins' table, who up until now have not said a word. "You are being relieved of active duty with Pen Team Delta."

Thor felt his whole world get pulled from underneath him, was this how they kicked you out?

The Colonel took over, "Lieutenant Doyle still have vital information that we need, we are assigning you to her. You will have to stay with her and see if you can extract this information for us. It is of the utmost importance that we get this information and since she already have a bond with you, it means that it will be easier for her to talk to you, than anybody else."

Thor blinked, he did not expect this.

"Do you have any questions Sargent?"

He shook his head, "No sir."

"Good. You will still bunk on base until Lieutenant Doyle gets released and then you will go where she goes. Dismissed."

Thor came to attention and snapped a salute, then turned about and left the office. What on earth???

Since he had clear orders, he knew that he had to go to the hospital to check on Katherine. He adjusted his cap and made his way over to the hospital.
 
Still alone Katherine got up and went for a shaky walk down the hall and back. Returning to her room she napped a bit then went in and showered she didn't care what the doctor said about her wounds and direct contact with hot water, she wanted a damn shower. She removed her IV and other medical equipment before stripping and stepping under the hot water. Katherine lost track of how long she stayed in there. She only knew by the end she was sitting on the ground, her legs too weak to hold her up. The water had run cold but something about the water on her just felt good and finally her emotions opened up, she just started sobbing, for what she'd endured, the pain, the emotional distress, the part of her she lost permanently. And for what she would have to endure now as she tried to piece her life back together.

Her nurse just listened, knowing there was no way to make it easier for the woman. See Thor she hurried over. "The lieutenant is in the shower, has been for over an hour now. She wont come out and has been crying for the last ten minutes or so." She said to Thor, so he knew what he was walking into.
 
He nodded, not sure about what to do about that little bit of info. He entered the room, removed his wallet and cellphone, placing them on the basin, the silently opened the shower curtain. What he saw was a woman who suddenly got hit with a freight train with the name of truth. He closed the curtain behind him and sat down next to her, getting drenched in the process as he placed an arm around her and let her cry it out.

He wasn't sure how long it took for the sobbing to subside, but when she did seem to recover from the depths, he used his one hand to shut off the water. "Hello again. How do you feel about we get you dried off and then we steal a wheelchair and go for a tour of the base?"
 
Katherine jumped a bit hearing the door open but then she saw Thor. She was surprised when he simply climbed into the tub with her. When he wrapped his arm around her She just pressed back against him, tilting her face and pressing it into his chest as she sobbed. She cried until she felt she couldn't anymore. Her body shivered from the emotional release and the freezing water. Finally when she was down to just ragged breaths Thor turned the water and spoke to her. She nodded, that sounded nice, and being out in the warmth would help after the icy shower. "That sounds nice." She said, her voice thick and rough. She realized she was naked, but couldn't find herself to care, he's already seen her naked when he rescued her. And it just wasn't something that bothered her. She shakily managed to get to her feet but her legs trembled violently as she reached for a towel to dry off. While they were in the bathroom the nurse appeared and set some warm tea and a dry pair of scrubs for Kathrine to wear.
 
He got up, keeping her stable and helping her to get dried off enough and finally wrapping her in one of the towels. Since her legs was still shaky from the prolonged standing and sitting in the tub, he lifted her easily and carried her into her room, "You know, I have always hoped to sweep a lady off of her feet, just never thought that I would do it literally."

He gave her a cheeky grin and placed her down on the bed, "OK you get into that clothing, I just want to go find an APC and then we can do that tour."

Of course he mentioned nothing about him tracking water all over the floor from his drenched clothes, but that was what the orderlies were for wasn't it? He walked out of the room, pulling the door slightly close to give her some privacy. He snagged a nurse, explained his plan, took the weird look at his drenched clothing as a badge of honor and soon enough wrangled a wheelchair, a cap with the word RANGER on it and a bathrobe. He knocked on the door, peeked inside to see if she was decent and entered with his prizes. "Here we go, hope that tea was sweet enough, you're going to need the energy."
 
Back
Top