RIP Philip Roth

Funnily enough, I started re-reading The Dying Animal on the weekend.

I wonder if Roth ever read online erotica. He certainly thought about sex a lot, and his characters were obsessed with it.

It occurs to me - I wonder if Roth would have agreed - that it's only other people who are obsessed with sex. One's own interest in sex is always well-balanced.

It occurs to me - I wonder if Roth would have agreed - that it's only other people who are obsessed with sex. One's own interest in sex is always well-balanced.

Interesting question. When I read "Portnoy's Complaint" I always assumed Roth intended for Portnoy to be seen as a sexual obsessive, but looking back, I'm no longer sure. Maybe that was his idea of normal?

Interesting question. When I read "Portnoy's Complaint" I always assumed Roth intended for Portnoy to be seen as a sexual obsessive, but looking back, I'm no longer sure. Maybe that was his idea of normal?

It's been a long time since I read it, but I remember the Portnoy character being exaggerated but not by much. The book does capture the frantic sexuality of adolescence. Portnoy is unbalanced perhaps not because of his interest in sex, but because he seems to have little beyond it that gets his attention.

Back