Enough pink ribbons.

modest mouse I think you are right that most are just using pink ribbons, but not donating money where it really counts. MissTaken I will use that advice, and thank you.
 
Hanns_Schmidt said:
Sounds like you have issues darling.

What is your problem with me being better than you>?


It's your dream, love.

Make of it what you will.
 
I can't tell you how many women I have talked to on lit that haven't had an annual pap smear in years let alone a breast exam. They think it will only happen to someone else.

I hope the women that see the pink ribbons floating around on lit will think about getting an exam if they do nothing else.
 
modest mouse said:
I was promoting action, however small, over symbolism.
It sounded like you were just bitching about the symbolism. People do both, as evidenced by this thread. And so what if there's someone that only gets into the symbolism? That's not the type of person that would get involved anyway, but that display might remind someone else to help out, or to get a mammogram.
 
Wow. I have to justify myself for caring about something and showing it?

The pink ribbon signifies two things to me. 1) Get aware about how to identify breast cancer early and 2) That I care about the issue and the people dealing with it.

You cannot pay money for #2. Throw money at the problem and it'll go away eventually, nevermind that people are not only suffering from breast cancer, but they're suffering from the feelings of social stigma, the feelings of having this horrible disease, and the feelings of maybe becoming a pariah.

When I wear a pink ribbon, whether the money from it goes to charity or not, there is a very flat and bold statement that tells each woman that to me, she's a human being and I care about her pain.

You can't do that by sliding a twenty into the collection plate when no one is looking. Giving cash is not enough. Giving self is necessary. Losing a breast is sexually castrating and money will never heal the wound to the psyche.

I wear my ribbon with pride. You just go dunk your head in the toilet and leave the shit you're spewing right there.
 
Ya know, sometimes when you download a picture like a pink ribbon (as example) from a link it donates like a certain amount to that foundation.
 
Pink ribbon or not......Who the fuck are you to judge????

Come and see me when someone you love loses a breast to cancer.....Hmmmmm you sure your name isn't Hanns????
 
modest mouse said:
I got it, its breast cancer awareness month. Yup, I'm well aware. Your ribbon means as much as my socks.

Give money. Do a race for the Cure. Write to your Congressperson asking them to keep breast cancer research well funded. Make sure your family and friends (and possibly yourself) get scheduled screenings.

Don't bother with the ribbon.

Bout time someone said it.
 
men don't have a problem with it until someone they love looses a breast (ok thats generalizing.. not all men feel this way. Just most f the ones I have encountered)
 
I don't "do" the ribbons, either. But I have sponsored someone who is walking 60 miles this weekend in New York raising money for breast cancer research. Writing the check is the easy part, walking 60 miles? No, thank you.
 
I wear a pink ribbon every october to keep breast cancer on people's minds. It's easy to hand over money...it's another to show solidarity with those who have suffered, or been through it with a friend or family member.
 
In defense of the people who have a pink ribbon in their avs, I have to say that reminding others of Breast Cancer Awareness month may spur people into action.

For example, I am now prompted to donate some money as a result of this discussion and the pink ribbon avs. Does anyone know of a good site for donations?
 
Okay, here's an example:

The other day I was driving somewhere with a friend of mine. She saw my pink ribbon (it's attached to my rearview mirror, since I always forget to put it on myself :) ) and looked at me kinda funny. I said, " it's October, Breast Cancer Awareness Month."

She said, "Oh crap I forgot!"

Now hopefully she is more aware, and thinking about this cause. She and I had a little discussion about it, I found out that she has donated money before, and she found out that my grandmother had breast cancer.

So my silly ribbon, if it did nothing else, made me think about my grandmother (who, thankfully is cancer free for 7 years now) and share some good stories about her. That's why I wear one (or at least my car does.) and why one is in my sig-line. And yes, I do donate.

That is all.
 
lilminx said:
In defense of the people who have a pink ribbon in their avs, I have to say that reminding others of Breast Cancer Awareness month may spur people into action.

Exactly. A big part of activism is making a cause known. If it makes other people aware, and those people donate and/or spread the word about mammograms, isn't it worth the 3 seconds of annoyance someone's ribbon av may cause a reader?
 
Back
Top