The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 02: A Comma (is a Restful Pause)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which are worse -- questions, or answers?

I've always found the answer to be - questions.

Time for breakfast and coffee then a list of things to do today, a little chore and a little fun. I have a short story I want to submit to an anthology that's open for submissions. Home with the munchkin. Back to work tomorrow.

Have a good day everyone. :rose:

I'll send another story to Laurel today and wait for it to disappear into the holiday void like the last one. Then I can get on with the next story.

I've always found the answer to be - questions.
IIRC it was Pablo Picasso who said, "Computers are useless. All they give you are answers."

Old joke from the early days of monster mainframes: Scientists have just built the super-duper BRAINIAC or whatever. Its data banks are filled with all the world's data. The boffins punch in a question on the clunky KR-33 keyboard: IS THERE A GOD? The machine's light's flash ominously for a few minutes, then a strip of punched tape emerges: THERE IS NOW!

Boxing Day is upon us now. Time to stash gift boxes in case they're needed for returns. Then surf to the WIRED articles on how to setup all the new devices you were given. Is that a web-connected talking toaster-incinerator? Ay yi yi,

I just brought my dormant amaryllis in from the garage. Thus starts another year's gardening cycle.

I just brought my dormant amaryllis in from the garage. Thus starts another year's gardening cycle.

Which sort of Amarylis, I wonder. The one that blooms in round March?

I rather think that the Boffins question was entered on a ticker-tape machine (we'd cal it a "Telex").

I rather think that the Boffins question was entered on a ticker-tape machine (we'd cal it a "Telex").

Colossus - the WW2 code-breaking machine based at Bletchley Park - ran from input on punched tape.

Colossus - the WW2 code-breaking machine based at Bletchley Park - ran from input on punched tape.
We of an age and inclination may recall when mini- and micro-systems included PCH and RDR ports. Those are paper tape Punch and Reader I/O devices. An audio data cassette deck might interface there. My military communications career also included paper tapes and Teletype KSR-33 keyboards. Them was the days...

We of an age and inclination may recall when mini- and micro-systems included PCH and RDR ports. Those are paper tape Punch and Reader I/O devices. An audio data cassette deck might interface there. My military communications career also included paper tapes and Teletype KSR-33 keyboards. Them was the days...

I was the system manager for a punch card driven IBM 1401 mainframe computer in the early 1960s.

A hybrid bulb originating in South America and called "Amaryllis" for commercial purposes. It's actually Hippeastrum. The plants in the genus Amaryllis are from South Africa.

Starting them now, they'll probably flower indoors in late February and into early March.

A hybrid bulb originating in South America and called "Amaryllis" for commercial purposes. It's actually Hippeastrum. The plants in the genus Amaryllis are from South Africa.

Starting them now, they'll probably flower indoors in late February and into early March.

Ah, that one.

My Gas Boiler has stopped running.

Evening all,

It appears winter has finally started for real around here.

Okay, fresh coffee for everyone.

We never made it over 15 degrees today, with the feels like temp below zero.

The few decorations I had out went back into the closet yesterday.

We never made it over 15 degrees today, with the feels like temp below zero.

The few decorations I had out went back into the closet yesterday.

Our decorations go away on New Years Day. It's a family event.

My daughter in the Chicago area messaged us with a screen shot of her weather app, showing the temperature at 4 at about five o'clock this afternoon.

She's getting on a flight from O'Hare right about now to come here where the afternoon will be dry, sunny and calm with at temp at about 60. She said she plans to walk around in her swimsuit. She actually won't have much time for that because she's taking some training while she's here.

Just a reminder that December 25th is the first day of Christmas and that Christmas isn't over until Epiphany, January 6th.

Just a reminder that December 25th is the first day of Christmas and that Christmas isn't over until Epiphany, January 6th.

Depends on your tradition, I guess. In my family, Christmas was celebrated on the 25th and then it was over. New Years Day is a convenient time to get together and take things apart. I never even heard of Epiphany until my very Christian son-in-law brought it up a couple years ago.

As near as I can tell, its rare for people in the US to celebrate Christmas to Epiphany.

Depends on your tradition, I guess. In my family, Christmas was celebrated on the 25th and then it was over. New Years Day is a convenient time to get together and take things apart. I never even heard of Epiphany until my very Christian son-in-law brought it up a couple years ago.

As near as I can tell, its rare for people in the US to celebrate Christmas to Epiphany.

I'm not sure anyone gets a vote on church year doctrine--only in how aware they are of it.

Our Gold Rush county was once dominated by Serbian miners; their names still define the landscape. Nearby St Sava's is the mother church of Serbian Orthodox in North America. Celebrations of Old XMas are strong here. YMMV.

As I understand it, the Eastern Orthodox christians celebrate Christmas on the 6th January. Since the reign of Queen Victoria, we've had the 12 days of Chistmas.

As I understand it, the Eastern Orthodox christians celebrate Christmas on the 6th January. Since the reign of Queen Victoria, we've had the 12 days of Chistmas.

Longer than that, HP. Remember Shakespeare's play Twelfth Night?

Morning all,

Fresh coffee and sweet rolls are now available but I would hurry with HP lurking. ;)

Shakespeare in the Cafe. :eek: Will wonders never cease.

A Loving Wives plot bunny:
The twelve wives of Christmas. Not all of them have to be your own.

Morning all,

Fresh coffee and sweet rolls are now available but I would hurry with HP lurking. ;)

Shakespeare in the Cafe. :eek: Will wonders never cease.

A Loving Wives plot bunny:
The twelve wives of Christmas. Not all of them have to be your own.

Ogg, I'd fogotten about the Bard's 12th night.

Tex, A fresh coffee is Just The Job. My boiler's been off and it's bloody cold.

12 wives ? That sounds like a multi-player thing. . . .

Ogg, I'd fogotten about the Bard's 12th night.

Tex, A fresh coffee is Just The Job. My boiler's been off and it's bloody cold.

12 wives ? That sounds like a multi-player thing. . . .

I did say they didn't have to your own. :D

I did say they didn't have to your own. :D
Ah, but suppose they all were? Some setups: He's a traveling man, like the old Ricky Nelson song, with wives all over the world, who gang up on him one hot holiday season. Or he's juggling twelve wives in one city or county. Or one wife becomes a dozen, by magic or costumes. Or, gender flip: she has husbands all over town / the state / the planet, or just one who's a dozen-fold shapeshifter.

Time for another espresso. Must leave in an hour. Damn obligations...

In Ethiopia, the Orthodox Christians celebrate Christmas on the 7th of January. I always think of that when I hear "Do they know it's Christmas" by Band Aid. Indeed, there was no snow in Ethiopia, but I'm pretty sure there was snow in other African countries at that time.

My Mother in Law and my wife will go back to Ethiopia on the 5th of January, celebrating Christmas twice, and also celebrate Epiphany, on January 19.

Twice the Christmas; What a nice idea !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back