look to the hidden stars
wait for the overcast to clear

Finding True North

My compass' become unboxed
ship circles uncertainly
a sudden loss of magnetism
look to the hidden stars
wait for the overcast to clear

An interesting struggle. The title suggests a search for a particular location, but the poem takes us on a search for personal orientation.

I'm not sure about the "unboxed" image: perhaps "boxed" means to be secure in your position. "Unboxed," then, might imply an unwelcome freedom, an internal chaos.

I'm most struck by the assignment of blame: the ship is fine, the compass is fine, the source of chaos is a failure of magnetism and the opaque sky. The well-intentioned pilot is denied his due.

Interesting, too, that neither the compass nor the sextant will reveal true north, leaving our patient narrator always a few arc seconds from his mark.

Thank you for the journey!

An interesting struggle. The title suggests a search for a particular location, but the poem takes us on a search for personal orientation.
>> :) <<
I'm not sure about the "unboxed" image: perhaps "boxed" means to be secure in your position. "Unboxed," then, might imply an unwelcome freedom, an internal chaos.
Boxing the compass is a nautical term referring to the process of finding all 32 points of the compass before traveling away from the point of embarkation to a specific destination. In essence the narrator is simply saying that they are lost.
I'm most struck by the assignment of blame: the ship is fine, the compass is fine, the source of chaos is a failure of magnetism and the opaque sky. The well-intentioned pilot is denied his due.
yes, by forces entirely beyond his control.
Interesting, too, that neither the compass nor the sextant will reveal true north, leaving our patient narrator always a few arc seconds from his mark.

Thank you for the journey!
Welcome

indeed :rose:

Not a clue what you two are talking about :confused:

was a strong piece, harry.
your use of the compass reminds me of a line: 'and now my needle idly spins'

Was missing you. I love that line ...where did it come from?

Nested to fire
a rocking chair
purring cat n i

Nested to fire
a rocking chair
purring cat n i

That was a pretty strong poem. (Finding true north)

And here is what we're talking about: MBTI. butters has identified both with ENFJ and INFJ. The poem she wrote alludes to those two personalities (the main difference between them are introspection / extroversion, so the pond that takes light in and is clear, and the one that reflects it).

Last edited:

Nested to fire
a rocking chair
purring cat n i

tsotha and i are referring to the myers-briggs thingy http://www.preludecharacteranalysis.com/types/infj/vs/enfj
whenever i take the test it's almost 50/50 enfj/infj, and though the write wasn't about me, it shows the duality of the same pool/both sides of the coin etc etc etc.

the line is from a piece i wrote some years back. i'll see if i can find it in my thread.

*purrs*

That was a pretty strong poem. (Finding true north)

And here is what we're talking about: MBTI. butters has identified both with ENFJ and INFJ. The poem she wrote alludes to those two personalities (the main difference between them are introspection / extroversion, so the pond that takes light in and is clear, and the one that reflects it).

Im a INTP introspective? now I have to read back

Have you found true north yet?
nice poem wonder at the context :rose:

unless my stars and magnetism deceive me, then yes, i do believe i have. :kiss:

the context was just a poem about people cut off from their partners suddenly, as through bereavement or simply a couple splitting up . . . it (i hope) touched on how out of water the remaining person can feel, especially when surrounded by other couples who were friends of both the people. the suddenly single no longer feels quite such a part of the group; there can be a strange shift in the way they are viewed by others - couples treating the newly single person as if they are either fair game or a potential threat. this leaves the single person not quite sure how to behave, how to react, and their sense of self/purpose can feel misplaced or entirely lost, having lost a loved one.

so, yeah, all that kinda stuff condensed down into an easy-bite short thing. i find things like this easier to write if i imagine myself in the poem, so it might sounds as if it's about me where i'm just using me as a way to come at the piece from inside, making for more of an emotional connection. maybe. :cattail:

unless my stars and magnetism deceive me, then yes, i do believe i have. :kiss:

the context was just a poem about people cut off from their partners suddenly, as through bereavement or simply a couple splitting up . . . it (i hope) touched on how out of water the remaining person can feel, especially when surrounded by other couples who were friends of both the people. the suddenly single no longer feels quite such a part of the group; there can be a strange shift in the way they are viewed by others - couples treating the newly single person as if they are either fair game or a potential threat. this leaves the single person not quite sure how to behave, how to react, and their sense of self/purpose can feel misplaced or entirely lost, having lost a loved one.

so, yeah, all that kinda stuff condensed down into an easy-bite short thing. i find things like this easier to write if i imagine myself in the poem, so it might sounds as if it's about me where i'm just using me as a way to come at the piece from inside, making for more of an emotional connection. maybe. :cattail:
What strange machinery lies between her ears
spinning, turning nano-gramed balanced gears
revolving in such introspection
perfect thoughts that I'd never give reflection
(shrugs)

Last edited:
What strange machinery lies between her ears
spinning, turning nano-gramed balanced gears
revolving in such introspection
perfect thoughts that I'd have never give reflection
(shrugs)
oh my, that's replacing my sigline, i think! lol. :kiss: