Foreign Correspondent

cgraven

Literotica Guru
Joined
Sep 6, 2001
Posts
62,505
Foreign Correspondent.

This is a closed thread for haremfaery and cgraven. Read along and enjoy.
________________________________________

Jonas Pincheon had his doubts about the young copy girl he had hired a month ago. She had represented herself as a graduate of Smith College with a degree in literature and journalism. Oh he had hired her on a lark and just to put the growing suffragette and progressive movement on their ear. Just the thought of the conservative Springfield Herald being the first major newspaper to employ a woman in any capacity, and especially one who was a graduate of that eeliest feminine institution Smith College would take the wind out of their sails and put them in the distasteful position of having to praise his progressiveness, and now to learn she was a fraud. Well he would soon put her in her place.

“Mr. Fish!”

Pinchoen’s voice boomed across the boisterous chatter of the news room as he called for his personal assistant. The young man, in his mid twenties, came running on the double. He had learned long sense that it did not pay to keep The Boss waiting, not if you valued your job.

“Fish tell Miss Carlton I want to see her in my Office on the third floor in ten minutes. Tell her if she takes eleven minutes that she well be seeking employment somewhere else. If she desires to continue work for the Springfield Herald she will not be late.”

Michael Fish turned on his heel and headed out on the run for the news room hollering at the top of his lungs,

“Miss Carlton, Miss Carlton…”

Five minutes of the hapless girl’s ten minutes had already slipped away when Fish finally located her in the papers achieves.

“The Boss……(ha…ha)… wants to see…..(ha….ha)…. you in the citadel……(ha….ha..) in ….”


Fish consulted his pocket watch;

”….in five minutes Miss Carlton.”

Michael Fish was bent over at the waist his hands on his knees as he fought to catch his breath.

“The Boss is really on the war Talia never saw him so mad.”

Everyone who worked for the Springfield Herald knew that to be summoned to the citadel by the Boss bode ill for the recipient of the summons.

Jonas Pincheon pocket watch was open and in the palm of his hand as he watched the minutes tick by. The second hand had just marked minute nine’s passing when he heard the soft knock on his door

“Enter Miss Carlton”

There was no emotion in his deep dark voice. He held the young girl in the unblinking gaze of his cold hazel eyes.

“Smith College……Literature……..and ………Journalism”

Each word was slowly spoken, and clearly enunciated. Each word spoken as an accusation rather than a matter of fact.

“Can you give me one reason why I should not fire you on the spot Miss Carlton, for up to this point you have shown yourself to be a liar and a fraud!”


Jonas Pincheon had left Talia standing before the massive mahogany desk, everything about the office was designed to make the hapless victim feel small insignificant and there was never a chair for the condemned to sit in. Before Talia could answer Mr. Fish burst into the room. The fear in the young man’s eyes for having violated the citadel without being called for was obvious in his shifting eyes and the nervous tremor in his voice as he spoke.

“Mr. Douglas is missing Sir…… the news just came in over the ticker tape.”

“Damn!”

Pincheon ran his fingers through his ginger hair, the little auburn haired girl forgotten for the moment. Jack Douglas was the Herald’s Foreign Correspondent that was covering the Russo Japanese War in far off China.

“Fish call Bowles Field and have them prepare my airship. Now get the hell out of here!”

Then Jonas once more turned his undivided attention to the little blue eyed waif in the frumpy dark grey.

“And you Miss Carlton what do you have to say for yourself?”

Jonas Pincheon wondered what else, beside her factious past, the blue eyed girl with the angelic face might be hiding under that drab ill fitting dress she wore.

“Well!”

he barked at her.
 
Last edited:
Talia twisted her fingers and looked at the tips of her polished shoes giving Pincheon a view of the severe bun on the top of her head. Her father always said you should take good care of your shoes because people judged you by how you took care of them. There might be newsprint lining the soles, but the tops looked just like they were brand new.

Sir, I . . ." She said quietly. She cleared her throat. The man was a bully and if a bully sensed weakness, he would only bully more. Time to buck up. "Sir," she began again in a strong clear voice as she met his eyes. "It is true. I did not actually graduate from Smith. But I did attend all the classes that would have allowed me to receive a degree for a double-major in Literature and Journalism. Sir, let me finish, please. I did matriculate at Smith and attended officially for one year. But," she paused and looked at the tips of her shoes again, "My dear father passed away and there was no money for me to continue. I found work as a menial, but while it enabled me to feed my body, it did nothing to feed my mind. I continued to audit classes and some of my professors were so kind as to let me sit the exams and even graded them and my papers. I assure you, had I been an actual student, I would have graduated in the top one percent. Perhaps even Vale Dictorian." She was proud of what she had been able to accomplish working as a cleaning woman in offices after hours while auditing classes during the day.

"When I saw your ad in the Herald, I jumped at the chance to put my education to good use. If you speak to the writers and my supervisor, they will tell my work ethic is exemplary. I have even helped with proofing when there has been a crunch to get the paper to press." She knew she had been hired as a token woman. Most of the men she worked with didn't think she would last a week, but she did, gaining grudging respect from some even though they gave her the worst and most difficult jobs and errands. Things someone lower on the totem pole should have to do. But she did them willingly. She also learned quickly how to avoid grabbing hands and ignored the off-color comments. Her drab and over-sized dresses helped to quell some of it.

"Sir, please, I need this job. I love working for the paper. I want to work my way up and be like Margaret Fuller when she covered the Italian Revolution in 1847. I want to go places and see things, even dangerous things and report back to the American people." Her voice rose with her passion as did the color in her cheeks. Her eyes flashed as she envisioned her dream. "You won't be sorry you hired me, I promise."
 
Sir, I . . ."

The young girl stammered.

Ah the sweet smell of fear. It filled Jonas Pinchoen’s nostrils as the little blue eyed waif with the angelic face fidgeted with her dainty hands clasped behind her back. It was that simple act to hid her trembling hands that gave Jonas Pincheon the first hint that this young auburn haired girl might be more than she first appeared as her firm young breast were thrust up and out to straining against the bodice of her lack luster dress. He loved the panic he saw in those stunning blue eyes, the little squeak in her voice as she tried to answer his accusations. When Talia did find her voice, the words came out in a flooding rush.

"Sir,"
She began again in a strong clear voice as she met his eyes.

"It is true. I did not actually graduate from Smith. But I did attend all the classes that would have allowed me to receive a degree for a double-major in Literature and Journalism. Sir, let me finish, please. I did matriculate at Smith and attended officially for one year. But,……."

The words bubbled from her moist ripe lips like a rushing babbling brook. Pincheon watched as Talia fought for her dream with the only weapons she had, her words and her passion to follow her dream.

"It is true. I did not actually graduate from Smith. But I did attend all the classes that would have allowed me to receive a degree for a double-major in Literature and Journalism. Sir, let me finish, please. I did matriculate at Smith and attended officially for one year. But my dear father passed away and there was no money for me to continue. I found work as a menial, but while it enabled me to feed my body, it did nothing to feed my mind. I continued to audit classes and some of my professors were so kind as to let me sit the exams and even graded them and my papers. I assure you, had I been an actual student, I would have graduated in the top one percent. Perhaps even Vale Dictorian."

Jonas Pincheon watched how the girl’s passion drew her across the room till her hands, no longer behind her back, were braced on the edge of his desk. Her stunning Azure blue eyes on fire with her passion, her desire to be a reporter.

"When I saw your ad in the Herald, I jumped at the chance to put my education to good use. If you speak to the writers and my supervisor, they will tell you my work ethic is exemplary. I have even helped with proofing when there has been a crunch to get the paper to press. Sir, please, I need this job.

There was no denying Talia Jonas could see it written in those expressive blue eyes of hers.

I love working for the paper. I want to work my way up and be like Margaret Fuller when she covered the Italian Revolution in 1847. I want to go places and see things, even dangerous things and report back to the American people."

He noticed that her glasses had slipped down her nose and that she was actually looking over them and not through them.

“Take off those glasses Miss Carlton! We both know you do not need them and stand up straight young lady.”

The note of steel in his voice left no doubt that this was not a request but an order he expected her to obey. Jonas remained silent as the tomb, his eyes hard, cold, unblinking, and emotionless until Talia Carlton complied with her instruction.

“So you want to be a reporter Miss Carlton. Well I have only one opening and that is for a Foreign Correspondent to cover the Russo Japanese war, and you my girl don’t have the experience.”

It was a flat statement of fact that even Talia could not deny.

“ I have no one to send so I am going myself.”

Pincheon paused his eyes slowly taking in Talia from the tip of her little button nose to the tips of the toes of her well shined button up shoes. He made no attempt to hide his salacious gaze or his bold inspection of her supple young body, as if he was trying to imagine what the young girl would look like under her frumpy dress.

“I’ll need someone to write copy for me and to run down leads Miss Carlton”

Again he paused as he let those cold hazel eyes caress every inch of her young body as if he were stripping her with his eyes.

“Just how far would you go Miss Carlton to run down a lead, to get the story?”

The question hung between them. His dark hazel eyes held hers as he continued

“ Remove your dress Miss Carlton…………that is if you want to keep your job and have your chance to be a reporter for the Herald.”

Jonas Pincheon had not pulled his punches he had apparently told the young girl it was her honor and virtue or her job and her dream the choice was now hers.
 
Talia took off her glasses and put them in the breast pocket of her dress. She stood up straight. Despite falling on hard times, she had been raised in a solidly middle-class family to be a proper young lady. Her father had been an accountant, her mother died when she was young. Her father did the best he could to teach her how to act.

She blushed when she felt his eyes going over every inch of her. So this was the sort of man he was. Then came the question:

“Just how far would you go Miss Carlton to run down a lead, to get the story?”

She knew what he was implying. If he gave her this opportunity, if he took her with him to report on the war, he expected her to sleep with him. As she was berating herself for even considering it, he spoke again.

“ Remove your dress Miss Carlton … that is if you want to keep your job and have your chance to be a reporter for the Herald.”

She drew herself up to her full height and squared her shoulders. "How dare you, Sir! How dare you. I would do the lowliest of the lowliest jobs before I would compromise myself. Do you ask your male employees to do such a thing?" Her eyes flashed. "Unless you like that sort of thing as well." There. She hoped she had cut his manhood to the quick.

"I tender my resignation immediately. I will clear out my things." Her hands were balled into fists at her side. She was on fire.

She needed to take a few breaths before she could turn to the door. She didn't want to stumble and look the fool. Or worse, break into tears. Her dreams had been dashed. After this, there was no way any newspaper would hire her now. She would be blackballed. Maybe ... maybe she could get a job as a governess. Otherwise it was back to scrubbing floors and cleaning bathrooms.
 
"How dare you, Sir! How dare you. I would do the lowliest of the lowliest jobs before I would compromise myself. Do you ask your male employees to do such a thing?"

Her stunningly expressive eyes flashed with indication at his scandalous demand of her.

"Unless you like that sort of thing as well."


She was magnification in her self righteous anger and her maidenly blush turned her pale alabaster skin the most delightful shade of pink.

"I tender my resignation immediately. I will clear out my things."

Her hands were balled into fists at her side, she was on fire.

Jonas Pincheon wondered if this fiery Miss had any idea of what she was really heading into, what may be demanded of her, or taken from her at their destination. Jonas Pincheon mussed on just how far this head strong little beauty would go to achieve her dream. He had pushed her had pushed her hard. She had done just what he wanted she had tendered her resignation and yet something did not set well with him. He seemed to pay no attention to her stammered resignation.


“Do you think where we are going that men will simply try and kiss you Miss Carlton?”

There was a deadly seriousness to her Boss’s voice now.

“What if they demanded that you please them sexually to give you the scoop of the year Miss Carlton?

There was a frightening intensity in Jonas Pincheon unblinking gaze.

“ What would you do to get the story Miss Carlton or rather my dear what would you not do to get it?”

Again that haunting question just what would she do for the story, to make her almost impossible dream come true. He did not make his demand for her to remove her clothing nor did he respond to her pointed barb. Instead he continue as if her had not heard her say I tender my resignation……

“ If you are coming Miss Carlton you have ten hours to pack and be at Bowels field……..[/i]


Again he studied the girl before him, his eyes critically taking in her drab gray dress.


“You will have to do something about your wardrobe if you intend to represent the Herald and there is the matter of your hair something shorter more stylish I think Miss Carlton.”

Jonas loved the startled look on the young girl’s face.


“Time is wasting Miss Carlton…….or ….did......you really mean to…..tender you resignation….....should I call Mr. Fish to find a replacement?”
 
"Men are opportunists. I refuse to compromise my principles for any reason. I will not prostitute myself for the sake of a story. I do not think that Margaret Fuller even suffered such indignation. I only want--no, I demand the same respect as any male reporter. One does not need to resort to sex to get the scoop, I'm am sure your male reporters have proven that. "

“If you are coming Miss Carlton you have ten hours to pack and be at Bowels field."

She blinked. After all she had said to him, and he still wanted her to go? Perhaps she had finally proven her worth by standing up to him. She doubted few people did.

"My wardrobe? What's wrong with my hair?" She put a hand up to smooth the side of her head. "I really want to do this, but, Sir, I ... I don't have the money to get new clothes or have my hair done." She looked at her boot tips. "I suppose I cannot go after all."
 
"Men are opportunists. I refuse to compromise my principles for any reason. I will not prostitute myself for the sake of a story. I do not think that Margaret Fuller even suffered such indignation. I only want--no, I demand the same respect as any male reporter. One does not need to resort to sex to get the scoop, I'm am sure your male reporters have proven that. "


Jonas loved that shocked dumb founded Look in Talia’s eyes as she slowly realized two things. The first that she was still employed and the second that she was going to be a Foreign Correspondent for the Springfield Herald

"My wardrobe? What's wrong with my hair?"

Once more Jonas saw that wild passionate spirit of Talia’s flare as smooth her shimmering auburn hair back.

"I really want to do this, but, Sir, I ... I don't have the money to get new clothes or have my hair done."

The young girl studied her boot tips as she saw her dream once more slipping away from her..

"I suppose I cannot go after all."

Jonas pulled a card from his desk.

“Madame Lillian will see to your wardrobe and place it on my account. You can repay me from your wages Miss Carlton.”

Madame Lillian's Clothier Shop

"Ah! Miss Carlton, I have been expecting you. Mr. Pincheon is one of our best customers. He left clear instructions for your wardrobe. I see he wasn't exaggerating when he described your current state of dress."

Cool green eyes raked over Talia in a calculating manner.

"Come now. Undress! I need to take your measurements and then you can make a selection of clothes and accessories from what I have on hand. Any alternations have to be completed by tomorrow and that leaves me no time for you to waste! Quickly now!"

The following hours were filled with endless fittings. The clothes were tailored form fitting in the latest styles from Paris. Charmed by Talia's inquisitive mind and quick wit, Lillian enjoyed teaching her how to dress for various occasions. What clothes should be worn to work, meals, meetings, events and for seduction.

Madame Lillian threw a wicked smile at Talia as she pointed out lingerie.

"While men may hold most of the power in the world, it's also true that women have power over men. All men desire to control women and find release in our charms. As women, we can control that desire and use it for mutual fulfillment. A part of that skill lies in our attire."

By the end of the day, Talia's mind was bursting with new information. Armed with a different kind of armor, to face the unknown.


Talia left Madame Lillian's with several trunks filled to the brim with her wardrobe. Now there was just the matter of her hair.




Jonas Pincheon spent a restless night tossing and turning his dreams haunted by visions of Miss Talia Carlton. Despite his better judgment in the end he had granted her, her heart’s desire. If things were different,…….no…….this was going to be hard enough without becoming emotional entangled with the fiery Miss Carlton

***********



Mr. Michael Fish was setting in the outer office of Mr. Pincheon’s Office, the keeper of the gate one might say. The young man’s eyes nearly bugged out of his head giving the distinct appearance of a rather startled frog when he saw Talia in her new wardrobe. This sudden and dramatic change in the young copy girl’s attire had left the young man speechless for the moment. When he finally did find it he announced in a squeaky little voice.


” Miss Carlton If you are looking for Mr. Pincheon I am afraid he is not her. He left two hours ago.”

Fish savored the chest fallen look that came over Talia, the look of betrayal in her strikingly expressive blue eyes.

“He expects you at Bowles Field no later than 10 o’clock Miss Carlton.”

Fish had no intention of telling the uppity copy girl that her Boss had sent a motorized steam carriage for her and as the office clock was striking 9 there was no way she could cover the distance by horse and carriage. Fish was feeling quite pleased with himself when his vindictive plan came to nothing as Sergeant Peter O’Halerin of the 1st Volunteer Cavalry U.S. Army (retired) strode into the Office.

“Miss Carlton? The Captain sent me to collect you.”

***********

The old sergeant swept Talia, her trunks, into the White steam car and slamming it into gear set out for Bowles Field, the vehicle bleach smoke and hissing steam at the break neck speed of 35 mph. The champion at the Springfield Commons Municipal Buildings was just striking 9:30 As they arrived at Bowles field and for the first time Talia saw the Sagamore, Mr. Jonas Pincheon personal Airship. It was nothing like the oblong sausages of Count Ferdinand Zeppelin with its cramp gondola and bleaching gasoline engines and explosive hydrogen. On the contrary the Sagamore had the sleek line of a naval Torpedo Boat Destroyer and that was not the only resemblance to a naval warship for the Sagamore bristled with 4.5inch quick acting naval guns.

“Miss Carlton Captain Pincheon will be on the bridge.”


The Sagamore presented a most odd and perplexing image of a naval Torpedo Boat Destroyer firmly aground on an airfield surrounded by conventional dirigibles. On her bows was emblazoned the number “1” in white paint on her light gray hull. Sergeant Peter O’Halerin of the 1st Volunteer Cavalry U.S. Army (retired) issued a set of orders in a booming voice and members of the Sagamore’s crew turned two to stow Talia’s trunks aboard the odd looking craft as O’Halerin escorted her to the bridge where Mr. Jonas Pincheon was dressed not in a Edwardian business suit but in the uniform of a Major of the 1st Volunteer Cavalry U.S. Army.


“Miss Carlton Captain Pincheon.”

“Major! First Sergeant O’Halerin.”

“Yes Major Pincheon! Captain darling.”

O’Halerin answered in a heavy Irish borough.

Jonas turned his attention to his young protégé.

“Welcome aboard the Sagamore Miss Carlton as you may have guessed our trip is a little more than just covering a war between two foreign powers in Asia.”
 
Last edited:
The experience at Madame Lillian's Clothier Shop was beyond anything that Talia had experienced in her short life. She had only ever purchased necessities off the rack at the local department store. She never realized that there were so many kinds of clothes and for so many different occasions. And the lingerie! So delicate and fragile--and expensive! She must have blushed from her cheeks to her toes when Madame Lillian had her try the little nothings on.

Intellectually she could understand what the Madame was trying to teach her about controlling men with womanly charms, but she had no experience in that regard and was not sure she wished to gain that experience. For one thing, it seemed false. She believed in true love, not manipulation.

Next, Madame Lillian had recommended her very own hair stylist, Sophie Jenkins, whose shop was only a few blocks away. Sophie cut off a good ten inches of her hair and styled it in a much fuller and softer way. Talia was amazed that she looked so much like the illustrations in the Ladies' Journal now. It truly was a transformation. Sophie showed her how to manage and do her hair herself and how to braid it for more casual occasions.

~~~~~​

When she arrived at the office, the look on Mr. Fish's face gave her an inkling of what Madame Lillian had meant about how a woman's clothes could affect a man.

Tallia did indeed look like one of the famous Gibson Girls in her white blouse and traveling skirt with the men's tailored jacket to match. The ensemble emphasized her bosom and wasp waist which was a la mode right now. A cameo pin adorned the lace at her throat.

She rather enjoyed the discomfiture she caused Mr. Fish.

Before she had time to fret that she would miss the airship, she ws whisked away by Mr. Pincheon's man. She gave Mr. Fish a smug look before she sashayed out of the room.

~~~~~​

Talia was shocked at the size and acoutrements of the airship.

“Welcome aboard the Sagamore Miss Carlton as you may have guessed our trip is a little more than just covering a war between two foreign powers in Asia.”

"Major Pincheon?" she frowned. This was an even bigger surprise. "Is the US offering aid to the Japanese? I know the British have had dealings with them. Just what exactly are we doing, Sir? The airship is rather obvious for this to be a spying mission."
 
Last edited:
First Sergeant O’Halerin stood respectfully step back as Jonas welcomed his young and apparently astonished young protégé to the Sagamore. The old veteran had been taken a back at first by Talia’s confession. He idly wondered if she had ever been outside of her small New England City. If nothing else this slip of a girl had spirit, if not a lick of common sense. Though Sergeant O’Halerin was impress with Talia’s spirit that was not the only thing about her that impressed him. In fact even now as she and the Major exchanged pleasantries he could not help but notice once more how her Practical traveling ensemble was very form fitting, subtly accentuated her gorgeous young body and the old veteran chasing the most immoral and indecent thoughts from his mind or what he would like to do to her.



"Major Pincheon?"

Jonas loved the little frown and the way she gasped apparently truly taken by surprise by the turn of events.

"Is the US offering aid to the Japanese? I know the British have had dealings with them. Just what exactly are we doing, Sir? The airship is rather obvious for this to be a spying mission."

Once again the Major was impressed with the quickness and agility of Talia’s young mind.

“I am afraid that at this time Miss Carlton I cannot fully go into the details of the Sagamore mission. I can tell you that you will be in fact the Foreign Correspondent for the Springfield Herald.


There was something about the naïve elegant grace and youthful confidence that made a man just want to sweep her into his arms and yet for all of Talia’s quiet strength and calm intelligence Major Jonas Pincheon knew that the young innocent was heading blindly into a situation where she might soon find she was in over her pretty little auburn head.


Jonas turned to receive a report from a young Lieutenant who was more than a little surprised to see a woman aboard the Sagamore.

Sir we are ready to cast off just as soon as the young lady goes ashore.

“Lt. Cummings Miss Carlton will be accompanying us as a Correspondent of the Springfield Herald.”

“But Sir a woman, a mere slip of a girl on a wa……….”

Cummings seemed to catch himself before saying something that was rather hush, hush.

“…an Airship Sir. It is just not done, it’s bad luck and the crew will be none to please.”


“Return to your duties Mr. Cummings and we will have no more such talk…….DO I MAKE MY SELF CLEAR SIR!”

Jonas Pincheon had dressed down the young lieutenant in the same cold efficient, detached manner as he had used with Talia when he had so desperately tried to dissuade her from following her dream in to Harms Way

“Miss Carlton would you care to watch as we get under way.”


Then Major Jonas Pincheon turned from his young protégé giving her a conspiratory wink, as if to tweak the officious Mr. Cummings nose.

“Stand by to get under way…….. Mr. Cummings…..deploy lifting cylinders.”

Aye, Aye Sir.

There was a hiss of steam and the whirl of machinery as four metallic cylinders, two forward of amidships, either side of Sagamore’s center line, and two aft of her single funnel, rose from below her main deck.

“Charge lifting cylinders.”

There was a high pitch whistle as the lifting cylinders where filled with helium. Slowly Sagamore’s gangly appearance of a beached whale out of its element began to change as the hull slowly lifted from the ground.

“Cast off all mooring lines,…….. engines ahead 1/3,……..bow up 10 degrees,…….”

There was a hiss of steam, and the efficient whirl of steam driven machinery as Sagamore came to life as she responded to Jonas Pincheon commands

“Ahead 2/3rd Mr. Cummings set course 195 degrees true.”

A course of 195 degrees true was hardly the course that one would expect if the Sagamore was heading to Asia.”

“Are we going to see the Colonel Major Pincheon.”

“ Yes First Sergeant O’Halerin we are going to see the Colonel.”

The old Sergeant grinned like a Cheshire cat as he rubbed his hands together.

“Mr. Cummings you have the deck and the Con, standing orders are in the log book as are my night orders……….. Miss Carlton I believed you may desire to see your cabin if you would follow me.”


Despite that conspiratory wink he had given Talia when putting Mr. Cummings in his place Jonas Pincheon maintained that aloof authoritarian manner that seemed to be so much an intricate part of his character. He led the his young protégé below deck and gave her a brief tour of Sagamore’s galley, wardroom, where she would take her meals with the ship’s officers, and the soldier & sailors berthing area’s where the young beauty received more than one lustful glance. Talia’s cook’s tour even included the storage bay and engineering spaces where she was forced at times to crawl on her hands and knees and twist in some very un-lady-like positions. Talia’s tour was coming to an end as Jonas led her from the training gym, to a cabin door one deck below and just behind the bridge marked Captain in bold brass letters. Jonas ushered her into the cabin and open a door to a small adjoining bed chamber where she saw her trunks. It was apparent that larger portion of the cabin was his.

“There are no real provision for women aboard the Sagamore and I understand from Madame Lillian that you made some rather interesting choices in selecting your attire for our journey Miss Carlton .

There was little time remaining for Jonas to try and forcefully persuade Talia from stubbornly following her dream into Harm’s Way.


He would push her boundaries once more in an effort to send her crying back to her mother and possibly save her from a fate worse than death.
 
"Major Pincheon, I must say that you are full of surprises." Sha said as he began her tour of the airship. "You may think me naive, but I do know a warship when I see one. Who is this Colonel we are going to see, and why?"

She worked hard to memorize the layout of the ship. She ignored the sailors and their hungry eyes even though it made her blush to see them looking at her.

When Pincheon led her to his own cabin and opened the door, she thought she would once again have to make it clear to him that she would not compromise her virtue with him to further her career. But he showed her a small room, made smaller by her luggage. She visibly relaxed knowing she would have her own room.

The Captain's cabin was all spit and polish with everything fastidiously organized, just like Major Pincheon's office at the Herald. She looked for, but did not see, anything in the way of personal effects that would help her better understand her employer.

"I am sure I will be quite comfortable here, Sir. Thank you. I've never been on an airship before. I didn't realize they were so large. Yours is ... very impressive."

"Interesting choices? Those were all at the Madame's insistence, I assure you. Two trunks could have been left behind, I doubt I shall need their contents in a war zone. But then, you haven't actually been forthcoming as to where we are going and why." She refused to let this man bait her. She was beginning to see that he enjoyed making her feel uncomfortable. He must be trying to test her resolve to go on this journey. "I will admit that I purchased a few extravagances. Madame Lillian has such beautiful things."

"I think I should like to unpack a few things and then ... May I return to the Bridge? The view is splendid from there. Does one dress for dinner? You must explain any protocols, I do not wish to make any faux pas or be in the way."
 
"Major Pincheon, I must say that you are full of surprises."

Talia said as he began her tour of the airship. Then the young beauty added very seriously and with just a touch of sarcasm.

"You may think me naive, but I do know a warship when I see one. Who is this Colonel we are going to see, and why?"

“You will meet the Colonel tomorrow Miss Carlton.”

It was all that Jonas would say and yet there was just a hint of a smile playing at the corner of his lips. That hint of a smile only broaden as he opened the door Marked Captain in bold brass letters for Talia to enter. The momentary shock in the girl's soft eyes, before she saw the little room to the side, where her trunks nearly filled that small cabin, was adorable. Yet again Talia’s quick mind recovered and a sweet maidenly blushed colored her cheeks.

"Interesting choices? Those were all at the Madame's insistence, I assure you. Two trunks could have been left behind; I doubt I shall need their contents in a war zone. But then, you haven't actually been forthcoming as to where we are going and why."

Talia refused to let this man bait her.

"I will admit that I purchased a few extravagances. Madame Lillian has such beautiful things. I think I should like to unpack a few things and then ... May I return to the Bridge? The view is splendid from there. Does one dress for dinner? You must explain any protocols, I do not wish to make any faux pas or be in the way."

Jonas explained that yes they indeed dress for dinner. He went on to explain that She could have the run of the Sagamore with one proviso and that was that she must have an escort and that First Sergeant O’Halerin would be at her disposal as her escort.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The Officers of the Sagamorerose all most in unison when Miss Talia Carlton entered the ward room. The officers wore their naval dress uniforms and Major Jonas Pincheon wore the uniform of a Major of the 1st U S volunteer Calvary. He rose an escorted Talia to the foot of the table directly across from his seat at the head of the table.

“Gentlemen I would like to introduce Miss Talia Carlton the Foreign Correspondent for the Springfield Herald she will be accompany us to Japan.”

The dinner was a very formal affair with stewards in white jackets, wine with each course, and then brandy, and for the Gentlemen cigars after dinner. All seemed to include Talia in their conversations and speculations on what course the war between Japan and Russia would take. Some assumed that no Asian power could hope to defeat a European Power. Others vehemently disagreed. The one notable exception to this congenial acceptance of Talia was a very dourer Mr. Cummings.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


“Major, Major Pincheon we will be arriving at point X-ray in two hours Sir.”

Jonas rubbed the sleep from his eyes as he check the ships clock on the bulkhead of his cabin 2AM! With a weary groan he addressed the hapless steward who had just awakened him from a sound sleep.


“Very well steward. Coffee….and give my complements to the Officer of the Deck and tell him to reduce speed to ½ ahead and I will be there presently.”

Two hours of restless sleep, Jonas was furious with himself for having succumbed to his need for sleep, for having let his last opportunity to force his headstrong little protégé to go home to her family and safety.

"Grrrrrrrrrrrrr"

He growled, so be it, she had chosen her fate, now she would have to take whatever the future had to offer her, for better or worse. Major Jonas Pincheon, knowing the reputation of both the Japanese and the Russian, feared it would be for the worse. Both warring Imperialistic Powers seemed to take whatever they desired no matter what the human cost and those ruthless men certainly would desire Miss Talia Carlton, once they laid their lustful eyes on her.

Jonas pushed these thoughts from his mind as he quickly and quietly dressed in his dress uniform and then taking a mug of steaming coffee from the steward headed for the Sagamore’s bridge.


<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

A soft but persistent knock on Talia’s door called the stunning young beauty from her sleep.

“Miss Carlton, Miss Carlton……..”

Came the booming voice of First Sergeant Peter O’Halerin.

“…….we are approaching our first destination and the Colonel will be wanting to see all of those assigned to the Sagamore.”

Sergeant O’Halerin wore his dress uniform, The dark blue shell jacket and its high stiff yellow gold collar gave him a very forma appearance, and the sky blue trousers with the yellow leg stripe, fit tightly in the typical manner of a Calvary uniform, and showed for all his age that First Sergeant Peter O’Halerin was still a very powerful man. On his left breast hung several military medals for valor, and around his thick bull neck on a light blue ribbon with white stars hung the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest award for valor.

“Your Best day Gown Miss Carlton only the best for the Colonel”


Sergeant O’Halerin gave Talia a saucy wink as he let his eyes rove over her supple young body as she lay in her bunk.

“The Major is on the bridge Miss.”

The Sergeant lingered a moment longer as if enthralled with Talia’s beauty and the intimacy of seeing her reclining on her bed. O’Halerin gave the young innocent another saucy wink before turning on his heel to let her dress and to attend to his duties.


<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>


The great Airship slowly glided above Long Island Sound as it approached Oyster Bay and her name sake Sagamore Hill, the summer retreat of the President of the United States Theodore Roosevelt, former Colonel and hero of the 1st U.S. Volunteer Calvary

“Morning Miss Carlton In little over an hour you will be meeting the President of the United States.”

Like Sergeant O’Halerin Joans wore his dress uniform and like the Sergeant a blue ribbon with white stars hung the Congressional Medal of Honor around his neck as well as several military medals for valor on his chest, much different than the unadorned dress uniform he had wore at dinner the evening before..

A wry smile tugged at the corners of Jonas’s lips and there was a teasing twinkle in his eyes.

“Mr. Cummings take her in for a landing and have all hands stand by to welcome the president.”
 
Last edited:
She had chosen an exquisite gown of simple lines in a jade green that complimented her hair. The neckline was wide, but demure, however, the back dipped into V that showed rather more of her spine than she was comfortable with. The V yoke of the waist made her look even slimmer and more fragile.

She felt like a princess greeting her courtiers as she entered the ward room. She took in the uniformed officers standing at the table and thought she had never seen a finer more handsome collection of men in her life. She felt a blush come to her cheeks.

After Major Pincheon seated her, she removed her gloves and placed them in her lap as Madame Lillian has instructed.

She found dinner to be lively for the most part and engaged in the discussion of the Russo-Japanese War and thought she made some astute points, particularly when she pointed out that the British seemed to be more interested in helping the Japanese which could turn the tide. Mr Cummings ignored her as if she were invisible. But then he had put up the most fuss about a woman being on board. Perhaps he was superstitious. Perhaps he has simply taken a dislike to her. Whatever the cause she was determined not to give him any more reasons for his opinion. The other officers, however, she found most accepting. Perhaps there was hope for Women's Right's after all.

After dinner, she had requested to take a turn around the deck, or someplace to stretch her legs before retiring. Sergeant O’Halerin obliged. Although she felt self-conscious that she was taking the man away from his regular duties, it was nice to talk to someone who didn't leer at her--at least not that she caught him doing it.

She tried to learn more about Pincheon from the man, but he was tight-lipped and only spoke of inconsequential things. She would have to improve her interviewing skills if she was to become a correspondent of any note.

~~~~~​

Talia woke at the knock on the door, but it was for the Major and nothing to do with her. She gratefully rolled over and snuggled deeper into the comforter on the narrow bed and fell quickly back to sleep. Pincheon had been a perfect gentleman. She barely remembered hearing the door when he finally went to bed.

~~~~~​

A soft but persistent knock on Talia’s door called the stunning young beauty from her sleep.

“Miss Carlton, Miss Carlton...” Came the booming voice of First Sergeant Peter O’Halerin.


"Come in, Sergeant. What is it?" She pulled the bedclothes to her chin.

“We are approaching our first destination and the Colonel will be wanting to see all of those assigned to the Sagamore.”

She was surprised to see the Sergeant looking even more resplendent in his dress uniform today.

“Your best day gown, Miss Carlton. Only the best for the Colonel.”

"Yes, Sergeant. Thank you. If you will come collect me in twenty minutes, I should be ready. Is there time for breakfast? Or at least a cup of tea?"

~~~~~​

"The President of the United States?" Talia echoed in her disbelief. She had chosen a blue day gown and hat that complimented the naval uniforms. She sent a silent "Thank you" to Madame Lillian, not for the first time, for the woman's choices for her.

She took in Pincheon's medals, not knowing what many were for, but recognizing the Medal of Honor immediately.

"Sir, I had no idea that you were a war hero. When there is time, I would enjoy hearing how you earned them. Particularly the Medal of Honor. Not that my praise means anythhing to a man of your stature, but I am most impressed."

"Will the President be issuing orders to you personally. I cannot believe this is a social visit."
 
"Sir, I had no idea that you were a war hero. When there is time, I would enjoy hearing how you earned them. Particularly the Medal of Honor. Not that my praise means anything to a man of your stature, but I am most impressed."

It was Jonas Pincheon's turn to blush ever so slightly for he never thought of himself as a hero. A nervous little self conscious cough.

"Will the President be issuing orders to you personally. I cannot believe this is a social visit."

Jonas just smiled again keeping his counsel to himself.

Even though Jonas was engaged in supervising Mr. Cummings bring the “Sagamore” to her improvised berth at Oyster Bay and the presidents summer retreat Sagamore Hill he could not help but notice how Talia’s had chosen a blue day gown and hat that complimented the naval uniforms, and flattered her figure. How the little gold buttons drew the viewer’s eye to the seductive swell of her firm young breasts. The way the skirt hugged the sensual curve of her hips, seductively caressed her firm little heart shaped derrière as if begging a man to take her in a most forbidden and sinful way. Then there was its daring length, the helm of the skirt grazed the top of her shoes and the delicate turn of her ankle.

Major Jonas Pincheon’s was brought back to the present with a rather agitated cough from Mr. Cummings. The slightest hint of a blush kissed his cheek at having been distracted by Talia’s attire.

“YES Mr. Cummings.”

Pincheon snapped at him and there was a very dangerous look in the Major’s eyes that he now turned on the officious young Naval Officer.

“Permission to lower mooring lines.”

“Very well Mr. Cummings.”

Jonas could hardly disguise his displeasure with the young Officer that seemed to need consistent reassurance that he was doing the correct thing. Mr. Cummings could become a liability if they were forced to fight.


As “Sagamore” came into her improvised moorings in a rather halting and less than impressive landing Her gangway was hardly over before the president came bounding aboard as if he were a school boy on holiday. In essence that was exactly what President Theodore Roosevelt was, the perpetual schoolboy, enthusiastic beyond all bounds, or reason, for his latest plan and that latest plan had the “Sagamore” at its center.


”Major Pincheon………”

The president took Pincheon’s hand and shook it violently only serving to confirm the sense that he was an overzealous schoolboy.

” Jonas haven’t seen much of you sense Cuba and you had to take over Buckeye O’Neil’s company when he was killed before the assault on Kettle hill and San Juan Hill.”

"and we lost Tiffany in that fight to Colonel."

"Sergeant O’Halerin"

The president embraced O’Halerin as if he were a long lost brother.

"First Sergeant O’Halerin"

"And who is this pretty little thing Major and what is she doing aboard the Sagamore"

“Mr. President may I introduce Miss Talia Carlton Foreign Correspondent for the Springfield Herald. The only person I know that has as much determination to follow their star as you Mr. President.”

"Ah that she is Colonel, and a damn sight easier on the eyes to boot sir."

With the interdiction completed the president invited the Major Pincheon and Sergeant O’Halerin to accompany him on a tour of the “Sagamore” as they were leaving the bridge the president called over his shoulder.

Coming Miss Carlton

As they toured the “Sagamore” the president stopped amidships.

"I do not know why Jonas chose you for this mission Miss Carlton but I trust his judgment and Sergeant O’Halerin seems to agree with him."

As they walked the president explained that he was worried about what Japan’s intentions were in the Pacific as well as Russia’s. No matter who won the war he felt they would move to try and take The U.S.’s newly acquired colonies in the Pacific.

" You Major will be the official Military observe for Our Government. You Sergeant O’Halerin, well you know what to do the less said the better. And you Miss Carlton will cover the war and gain as much information as possible as to what Russia and Japan’s intentions are beyond the present war………Questions?
 
Talia was a bit starstruck by the President. Such vitality and charisma. She was already mentally writing a column about meeting him. Listening to the president and Pincheon speak, she made a note to research the Major's time in Cuba to learn more about her mentor.

She blushed prettily when the president noticed her. She almost felt that she should curtsy to such a personage of rank, but instead proffered her hand to the president trying to look confident. She tried to have as firm as grip on their handshake as the president did. "It is an honor, Mr President. If women had the right to do so, I would have voted for you in the last election."

"My dear, even if women had the vote, I doubt you would have been old enough to do so in the last election. You look to be barely out of pinafores." He looked at Pincheon. "Did you know you hired a Suffragette?"

"Be that as it may. I am old enough to vote now. I must say I was disappointed that you and Mrs Roosevelt were so noncommittal even after meeting here in Oyster Bay with 400 leaders of the suffrage movement. And, sir, It SuffragIST, not SuffragETTE. You would do well to remember that when you run for president again." Heavens, did she just say that to the president of the United States? "I mean no disrespect, President Roosevelt, but I do approve of so many things you have done and plan to do. You would go down in history if you gave women the vote. Think of it." She practically glowed at him.

She followed them on the tour listening intently as the men talked, particularly when it came to the subject of the Russo-Japanese War.

" You, Major, will be the official Military observer for our Government. You, Sergeant O’Halerin, well, you know what to do the less said the better. And you, Miss Carlton, will cover the war and gain as much information as possible as to what Russia and Japan’s intentions are beyond the present war … Questions?"

Talia took note that she would have to charm the good Sergeant and try to find out just what he was up to for the President.

"I'll do my best, Mr. President. Although I'm not sure how I will gain access to any Russians or Japanese to find out anything useful. Although with the Herald's reputation, I have some ideas..."
 
Jonas Pincheon had been quite impressed with the way Talia had handled herself under the scrutiny of the President for one of her tender years. He had seen the fire in her soft blue eyes as she firmly answered the president’s questions.

"My dear, even if women had the vote, I doubt you would have been old enough to do so in the last election. You look to be barely out of pinafores."

He looked at Pincheon.

"Did you know you hired a Suffragette?"

"Be that as it may. I am old enough to vote now. I must say I was disappointed that you and Mrs. Roosevelt were so noncommittal even after meeting here in Oyster Bay with 400 leaders of the suffrage movement. And, sir, It SuffragIST, not SuffragETTE. You would do well to remember that when you run for president again.”

There was certain boldness in the young beauty that worried Jonas for that boldness might put her even more in Harm’s Way.

"I mean no disrespect, President Roosevelt, but I do approve of so many things you have done and plan to do. You would go down in history if you gave women the vote. Think of it."

Talia glowed as the President seemed to accept her and her views as he did Pincheon’s and Sergeant O'Halerin’s. There was an easy comradeship between the three men. All too soon their visit to the presidential retreat at Oyster Bay was over and “Sagamore’s” bow turned west towards the setting sun and the pacific.

One day following the President's visit First Sergeant Peter O'Halerin was sheltering in the lee below the bridge wing smoking, not the cigars that Major Pincheon and the “Sagamore’s” Officers favored but hand rolled cigarette.

Miss Carlton the Orient is quite different that Springfield, if you would like I can teach you a few things that may help you, and the use of a pistol as well.

It was with those simple words that First Sergeant Peter O'Halerin took Miss Talia Carlton under his wing. He was a competent task master and demanded that she apply herself to their training sessions.

Talia had an overwhelming stack of files to read and memorize on the current war, histories of the countries involved and key personnel that has been marked of note. Between reading until her eyes burned and meals, First Sergeant O'Halerin had set up a training regime on shooting, weaponry recognition, close combat blade work and strength training. Various officers of the “Sagamore” took turns in helping her train every day under the watchful eye of the First Sergeant. She spent more time in the training gym than in her own compartment.


Life aboard the “Sagamore” had settled down into a daily routine aboard the Airship, which resembled very much the routine of a naval ship at sea. The day was marked by the changing of the watch every four hours and an endless series of drill covering every conceivable emergency that could befall or over take them. Yet in the three days that it took to cross The Nation and continent the 4.5 quick acting naval guns had remained ominously silent.


On the morning of the fourth day, with San Francisco a day astern of them, The bugles sounded in the predawn twilight calling “Sagamore’s” crew to General Quarters and battle stations, soon followed by the clanging of the heavy water and air tight doors sectioning the Airship into separate little sealed compartments designed to reduce the damage and the danger of spreading fires if the “Sagamore” was under attack.

It was just daybreak when the first broad side roared from the ships guns on the starboard side, quickly followed by the port batteries thunderous roar. From the first note of the bugles call to quarters it had taken the “Sagamore” only ten minutes to fire her 1st broadside, not bad for an unannounced drill, and a crew caught by surprise. Major Pincheon had told no one and that had left Miss Talia Carlton to be startled from her sleep with no idea of what was happening , or were to go, or just what she was supposed to do, and trapped in the compartment where her cabin was located.

It was Mr. Cummings’s duty to have briefed Talia on what her station was on the Watch, Quarter, and Station Bill. A duty, the officious young Officer had pointedly omitted, to make her look the fool, after all women did not belong aboard Airships, or naval vessels for that matter.

For over an hour Talia was trapped unable to escape her almost claustrophobic imprisonment as the roar of the quick acting 4.5 naval guns became deafening and the air was filled with a choking dust shaken loose by their reverberation throughout the ship. Finally the bugle’s clarion call rang out over the cacophony of the roar of guns and thunder of machinery, the all clear, and secure from battle stations sounded. Soon the auburn haired beauty could hear the dogs of the battle hatches and shutters opening and freeing her from her imprisonment.
 
Talia accepted O'Halerin's offer to learn as much as she could about self defense. She was a quick study with a revolver and a rifle having good far vision. She was not as strong as a man, not by a long short, but she learned to use her small stature and agility to her advantage. She could slip under and man's defense, attack and slip away before he could react. At least that was what was supposed to happen. She received many a bruise when she failed which was as much motivation as was the sergeant's few encouragements and far more derisive comments. She supposed she should be happy that he treated her as he would any recruit and not as a woman. But each night as she crawled into bed after slathering her body with liniment for the arches and pains, she wished he'd be a bit more lenient.

She found that even her traveling clothes were a hindrance to her training. She requested sailor trousers which she tucked into her boots, and decided to forego her restrictive corset for binding her breasts with bandages from Sick Bay and wearing two layers of camisoles under her blouse. She knew she would have to learn how to maneuver in her regular clothing, but this was much better for practice. It also helped the Sergeant to make sure of her stance. A woman in trousers did cause a bit of a stir for the few who saw her in them. Some of her trainers took to calling her Cabin Boy.

A few of the officers took advantage of the chance to touch or brush or even grip parts of her anatomy that only a husband should do, but for the most part they kept to the training at hand. And they were subtle enough that the Sergeant took no notice. She did not wish to make trouble. She knew that Mr. Cummings was not the only man on board who wasn't happy she was here. Mr. Cummings was simply the most vocal. He reminded her a bit of Mr. Fish the way he looked down on her.

~~~~~

Talia leapt out of bed, pulled on her robe and shoes and was out of the door to her room before she even knew what she was doing. Her heart pounded as she held her hands over her ears. She dressed quickly, but when she went to the corridor the doors were sealed shut. She was trapped. Was this what was supposed to happen? Were they under attack? They must be from the sounds of it. She returned to the Captain's quarters and paced not knowing what else to do.

Feeling bored and yet nervous at the same time, she found herself looking over the Captain's desk. She didn't touch anything, but she saw a communication device. She reached out for it, but pulled her hand back. No doubt it connected the Captain to the bridge. She could not help with whatever was going on and would only interrupt Major Pincheon or whoever answered her call. And for what? To make her feel more at ease? To let her know what exactly was going on? Even if she know, she was still trapped here. She decided she would just have to wait, but she did arms herself in case the worst happened and they were boarded.

As soon as she heard the hatches opening, Talia dashed out and to the bridge to find out just what had happened. Her revolver was stuck into her belt, a dagger hung at her side. "What's happened? What was all that? Were their casualties? Is the ship all right?" She looked around the bridge for any sign of damage and surprisingly, found none.
 
Major Jonas Pincheon was just reviewing the effectiveness of the “Sagamore’s” crew to the unannounced battle drill with Mr. Cummings when Talia Carlton arrived on the Airship’s bridge.

"What's happened? What was all that? Were their casualties? Is the ship all right?" S

Despite the apparent calmness in her voice Jonas had become quite familiar with that dark flashing azure fire in the cool depths of the young beauty’s blue eyes as they seemed to search for some signs of damage to the “Sagamore”. With pistol in hand and a dagger at her side, it was at moments like this that he found it very hard not to take the young beauty in his arms and crush his mouth to hers to savor its sweetness. The slightest hint of a blush kissed his cheeks at the unbidden erotic memory.

“ Miss Carlton, I wanted to have a word with you concerning this morning’s battle drill.”

Extending his hand Jonas directed the auburn haired beauty to the bridge wing where they might be able to talk in some modicum of privacy, as he had no desire to embarrass his young protégé in front of the bridge watch.

“Talia……”

It was the first time that her boss had ever addressed her by her Christian name instead of Miss Carlton, and there was a soft but serious look in his dark hazel eyes as he continued.

“……….during this morning’s battle drill everyone was at their assigned stations except for you. I am sure Mr. Cummings showed you the Watch, Quarter, and Station Bill. Your billet calls for you to be in the “Sagamore’s” wardroom to assist the ships surgeon with the wounded.”

Jonas Pincheon began to lift his calloused hand as if he were about to caress her cheek but he checked himself and his hand lowered to his side once more.

“It is the only way we have to ensure everyone is safe and where they are supposed to be as we go into battle Talia.”

His dark eyes held hers for a moment longer. He saw that familiar azure fire blazing in Talia’s eyes.

“You wanted to speak to me?”


Jonas could barely contain the smile that threatened to curve the corners of his tight lips upwards. He knew two things for certain, one it was highly inappropriate given their location of the Airship’s bridge wing and secondly he knew it would most probably offend this adorable and so serious little protégé. He was saved from any comment as the young beauty rushed on the words tumbling from her moist ripe lips.
 
Talia put her revolver and knife away and visibly relaxed when she learned the morning's activities had all been a drill. However...

"I assure you, sir, had Mr. Cummings given me any instructions at all, I would have been where I was supposed to be." She spoke tersely and looked past Pincheon in the direction of the man she now fully considered her nemesis. "I don't even know what a--a Watch, Quarter, and Station Bill is."

She took a breath and collected herself. "I am sorry, sir. Had this been an error on my part, I would take full responsibility. But when it comes to airships--warships, I barely know what I don't know. My training schedule is well known. I spend my meals and evenings studying either in the mess or in my cabin. I do not wish to lay blame, but Mr. Cummings had ample time to instruct me on battle protocols. Sir, would it be an imposition to ask that Sergeant O'Halerin take over relaying any information that will make me more effective on board?"

Did Cummings really think she would take his sin of omission lying down? What if this had been a real battle and not a drill? Had she thought this had been an honest mistake, she would simply have taken the blame, but it was clear to her that Cummings deliberately withheld this. Had he neglected to tell her anything else?

"That being said, sir. The bottom line is that I was not where I was supposed to be during the drill. I am prepared to accept whatever punishment is appropriate." And she dearly hoped that Mr. Cummings received his punishment twice over.
 
Jonas could barely contain the smile that threatened to curve the corners of his tight lips upwards when he saw Talia with pistol in hand. He knew two things for certain, one it was highly inappropriate given their location of the Airship’s bridge wing and secondly he knew it would most probably offend this adorable and so serious little protégé. He was saved from any comment as the young beauty rushed on the words tumbling from her moist ripe lips.

"I assure you, sir, had Mr. Cummings given me any instructions at all, I would have been where I was supposed to be."

She spoke tersely and looked past Pincheon in the direction of the man she now fully considered her nemesis.

"I don't even know what a--a Watch, Quarter, and Station Bill is. I am sorry, sir. Had this been an error on my part, I would take full responsibility. But when it comes to airships--warships, I barely know what I don't know. My training schedule is well known. I spend my meals and evenings studying either in the mess or in my cabin. I do not wish to lay blame, but Mr. Cummings had ample time to instruct me on battle protocols. Sir, would it be an imposition to ask that Sergeant O'Halerin take over relaying any information that will make me more effective on board?"

She closed her eyes, shuddered in a deep breath and regained control. It was the first time that Jonas had seen Talia afraid even when he had so bluntly made every effort to dissuade her from following her dream, she had shown determination, and yes sadness , and outrage but never fear. Yet now as she continued he heard it in her soft angelic voice and saw in the way her supple young body quivered and shivered.

"That being said, sir. The bottom line is that I was not where I was supposed to be during the drill. I am prepared to accept whatever punishment is appropriate."

Such a brave little trooper, the thought came unbidden to his mind and he found himself wishing that Talia was safely back in Springfield. Jonas cleared his throat

“Mr. Cummings!”

There was a dark edge to Jonas Pincheon’s voice and the look in his cold eyes could make a strong man’s blood run cold.

“Mr. Cummings I understand that you failed to brief Miss Carlton as to her Watch, Quarter, and Station Bill, billet. Sir you placed a member of the “Sagamore’s “ complement in danger and therefore place the ship and all on board in danger……”

All eyes were on the two officers and the Major’s displeasure with “Sagamore’s” Executive Officer was quite evident.”

“Miss Carlton your billet number is V-115-port the Watch, Quarter, and Station Bill is posted just forward of the crew’s galley please familiarize yourself with it. As for you sir not a word. You have made your attitude towards Miss Carlton’s presence aboard the “Sagamore” quite clear. You sir are relieved of your duties and will inform Mr. Kelso he will be acting XO.”

He then called for Sergeant O'Halerin and instructed him to familiarize Talia with her billet.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Jonas did not see Talia until late that evening when he finally had time to return to the cabin they shared.
 
“Miss Carlton your billet number is V-115-port the Watch, Quarter, and Station Bill is posted just forward of the crew’s galley please familiarize yourself with it. As for you sir not a word. You have made your attitude towards Miss Carlton’s presence aboard the “Sagamore” quite clear. You sir are relieved of your duties and will inform Mr. Kelso he will be acting XO.”

Normally, Talia would not relish another's downfall, but she was prepared to make an exception in the case of Mr. Cummings. She did school her features into something bland even though she had the urge to stick her tongue out at Cummings. No point in being childish.

"V-115-port." She repeated to memorize the number. She was relieved to have the good sergeant as her mentor for yet another thing on board.

"I know you have other duties, sir." She said to O'Halerin. "I am at your disposal at your earliest convenience." She gave him a faint smile. She had a great affection for the grizzled veteran.

~~~~~​

"Good evening, sir." Talia told Pincheon when he entered the cabin. The door to her her room was open to keep it from feeling so claustrophobic. Books, notebooks and newspapers were strewn about her bed. She was making a journal entry about the morning's drill and adding to what she had written about meeting with the great Theodore Roosevelt.

She her hair was down and she was wearing a nightgown with a robe over it. Madame Lillian had tried to convince her to choose something more slinky and clingy but she had opted for a more practical cotton with eyelet lace. It looked very virginal which the madame assured her also had it's charm.

She set her notebook and pencil down. "Sir, tell me, what will happen to Mr. Cummings?"
 
It had been a hard day for Major Jonas Pincheon, he did not relish reliving Mr. Cummings from his duties yet he could not let the man’s unconscionable actions go unpunished. He was more upset with himself for having done so in such a public manner, but what was done, was done. Mr. Kelso was now “Sagamore” Executive Officer.



Pincheon was shucking his shirt from his body as he entered his cabin aching for a refreshing shower, yet he froze as he heard Talia’s greeting.


"Good evening, sir…………. Sir, tell me, what will happen to Mr. Cummings?”

The tip of his tongue unconsciously slid across his parched lips as he saw his young protégé’s her night gown. His lust for the spirited young auburn haired beauty, flared. Her soft shimmering hair framed her angelic face like a fiery halo and was in marked contrast to the young beauty’s pale flawless skin, he took step forward. Time seemed to stand still as Jonas stood there bare cheated before Talia. Scares of past battles, livid little scares, written plainly in his flesh. Suddenly he stopped himself as he remembered just how young she was and took a step back. Her voice had been little more than a soft angelic whisper.

“Mr. Cummings will sever as 1st Lieutenant and Gunnery Officer until we reach Tokyo and he can be transferred from the “Sagamore” to duties with the Asiatic Squadron.”

Jonas’s hand reflectively reached out to take hold of her shoulder, and before he could stop himself he had turned the young girl to face him and his lips fleetingly brushed hers in a softly sensual and seductive kiss.

“Good night Miss Carlton.”

He stood there for a moment his lips just a breath away from hers his hot moist breath washing over her face, his scent filling her nostrils, and the heat of his body bathing hers with its sensually seductive caress.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>

Douglas Cummings was laying on the bunk of the 1st Lieutenant’s cabin. He would get her put the little baggage in her place. He did not know how or when but he would have his revenge on Miss Talia Carlton. Cummings nursed his growing hatred for the young beauty as he built ever more grandiose plans for her down fall. Plans that would also take their toll on Major Pincheon as well. No price would be too high to pay for him to have his revenge on them.

Cummings smiled to himself, it was a long journey across the Pacific and after all they were entering a war zone, who knew what might happen, what opportunities for revenge might present themselves to him.
 
Time stood still when PIncheon kissed her. It was barely a kiss really. Nothing like kisses she had read about in romance novels. So many thoughts ran through her mind. The primary one being that this was her first kiss, next that it was Pincheon--her superior and mentor, who kissed her, and finally, she wondered just what he meant by doing it.

"Major Pincheon. I ... What are you doing?" She said quietly looking into his eyes. She didn't pull away but she didn't close the gap between them.

She was conflicted. She didn't love this man--she barely knew him, but she respected him. Is this how he expected her to repay him for all that he had done, for the doors he was now opening for her?

She squared her shoulders and pulled back. "Goodnight, Major Pincheon."

While she was a very progressive woman and knew about the Free Love Movment, she wanted her first kiss to be with someone she loved, or at the very least, someone she cared very much about
 
"Major Pincheon. I ... What are you doing?"

Talia softly asked as she stared up into his dark eyes. Jonas could see the confusion and perhaps a longing in those stunning azure blue eyes. Time, as it often had with them, seemed to stand still Talia didn't pull away nor did she close the gap between them. Then as she had done on that first day in his office Miss Talia Carlton squared her shoulders and pulled back.

"Goodnight, Major Pincheon."

Turning on her heel she left him standing in the outer cabin as she closed the door between them, in more ways than one.

***********************************************************

Major Jonas Pincheon could not help but notice that Talia seemed to go out of her way to avoid him. He watched with concern as she threw herself into her training routine with a vengeance and how it won the respect of most of “Sagamore's” crew. Oh yes there were those, like Mr. Cummings that believed that a woman had not place or business to be on board an airship headed into a war zone. Yet there were other like Assassinate Surgeon Karl Johnson, “Sagamore’s” Medical Officer, which admired Talia’s spirit and dedicated drive.

Things came to a head one day when “Sagamore’s” Medical Officer found his charming assistant as a patient in the airship’s small sick bay.

"You are staying right here and getting a full night's rest for once. I don't know why you're pushing yourself so hard or not sleeping more than a few hours at a time but you can't keep that up before your body falls apart on you."

There was no hiding his concern or the ire in his voice at the young auburn haired beauty’s having physically and perhaps emotionally, had pushed herself to the point of exhaustion.

“Miss Carlton, Talia….”

The doctor’s voice softened ever so slightly as he took her hand in his.

“….what is driving you so?”


His pale grey eyes held hers as he waited for her answer.


“Or do I need to get the Major?”


<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

“Sagamore” took fourteen days to cross the Pacific making stops in Hawaii, and Manila, where Sergeant O'Halerin left the ships company. There stay in Manila at the Cavity Naval Station last four days as the “Sagamore” replenished her supplies of helium and ships stores before proceeding on to Tokyo. “Sagamore ”arrival over Tokyo Bay was greeted with fan fare and amazement. It was now time for Major Pincheon to make the diplomatic rounds and to present his credentials to the Imperial Emperor’s Government as the Untied State’s Official Military Observer. Mr. Cummings informed Talia, in his officious manner that she had to present her credentials as a Foreign Correspondent to Captain Tagaya of the Imperial Navy, a requirement that she must handle on her own as the Major was otherwise engaged with diplomatic formalities.

The Imperial Naval Headquarters was in a brilliant white washed building that looked as if it would be more at home in London than Tokyo. Two Sailors in dress uniform, uniforms modeled after those of the British Royal Navy, stood guard at the entrance. After having to show her papers to a number of officious naval officers Talia was finally brought to Captain Tagaya Office.


Captain Tagaya was a man in his early fifties with dark piercing eyes and a lean hard body. He wore his dark black hair closed cropped in the Prussian style and his dark golden skin seemed to glow as the afternoon sunlight filtered through his window.


“ How may I assist you…….”

Tagaya looked down at Talia’s Papers.

“………Miss Carlton”

As he slowly raised his eyes to meet Talia’s he made no effort to hide the fact that he was inspecting every inch of her lithe young body.
 
"No. Please. It's not necessary to bring the Major into this." She answered rapidly. "Doctor, so many are waiting for me to fail. Some, like Mr. Cummings, are actively working against me, although they are more subtle about it now. It isn't just a matter of me proving I can do anything a man can do--I have to do it better. Be smarter, be faster... " She paused, "And the way some men look at me. I have never had men look at me like that before. Perhaps it is the new wardrobe that Major Pincheon purchased for me." She smoothed her skirt. "I am not sophisticated like other women. I don't know what to say or do."

She wanted to talk to the doctor about the kiss she received from Major Pincheon and what she should do about it. But that would compromise the Major and she wouldn't do that. She would just have to keep her own counsel and work this out on her own. How she wished she had a woman to talk to about this--even someone like Madame Lillian.

~~~~~​

Talia bid farewell to Sergeant O'Halerin with tears in her eyes as she kissed the old veteran on each cheek."Thank you so much for all you've done for me. Safe sailing to you."

The closer they got to Tokyo the more anxious Talia became. Not in a bad way. It was more the anticipation of what was to come, of an adventure about to begin.

Talia checked with one of the other officers about her need to present her credentials. She did not trust anything Mr. Cummings told her.

She looked on Tokyo with wide eyes and made her way to the Imperial Naval Headquarters. She found herself less intimidated by the Japanese since they were closer to her own height and slighter in build than white men. She found the people exotically beautiful with their dark hair and almond eyes.

“How may I assist you…” Tagaya looked down at Talia’s Papers. “…Miss Carlton?”

"I was instructed to present my credentials to you, Captain Tagaya." She bowed to him in the manner that she read about to show her respect. "I am traveling with Major Pincheon as a Foreign Correspondent for the Springfield Herald."

She had also learned that honor was of the upmost importance and that 'losing face" was worse than death. In fact, the Japanese still committed ritual suicide when their honor had been taken. She was not ahppy with the status of women in this country. It seemed to her that they had little to no rights at all and were treated as little more than possessions. It wasn't long ago that women in the Wesern world were treated in like manner, but things were improving. However, it did mean that she had to keep her headstrong nature in check. Not if she wished to gain any interviews.

"I am here to learn what I can about this war, interview leaders, and report back to the American people. I would very much like to learn you feelings about this war, Captain Tagaya. Most in the West do not believe that an Eastern power will be able to defeat a Western one. To whom should I speak about arranging a time for me to have a formal interview with you. I know you are a very busy man. I do not wish to intrude, but I think The Americans would very much like to hear what you have to say about this war."
 
Captain Isko Tagaya was quite pleased that the reports he had about Miss Carlton’s youth and beauty had not been exaggerated. He had found when dealing with those that would betray their country, often what they offered was quite exaggerated, and hardly worth the price that they demanded for their treachery. However in this case the plans of the “Sagamore’s” armored lifting cylinders, and Miss Carlton obvious charms had been under stated to say the least. The airship’s plans, well that was a simple matter of espionage. However to add a stunning western beauty to his collection, well that was quite another matter indeed and one that Tagaya could not pass up.

Patience was not only a virtue in the Far East but an art form unto itself. Captain Isko Tagaya kept Talia, standing and waiting for over an hour, and he was quite please to see the young woman had spirit that flared so easily and yet apparently the wisdom to hold her tongue, both indicated that she was possessed of a passionate nature. He waited until the young beauty’s patience finally broke as she looked at her watch, before he had her ushered into his office.

“How may I assist you…” Tagaya looked down at Talia’s Papers. “…Miss Carlton?”

"I was instructed to present my credentials to you, Captain Tagaya."

Captain Isko Tagaya smiled to himself as Talia bowed to him in the manner that she had apparently read about to show her respect.

"I am traveling with Major Pincheon as a Foreign Correspondent for the Springfield Herald."


The Captain was stiff and formal as he listened to the stunning western beauty request.

"I am here to learn what I can about this war, interview leaders, and report back to the American people. I would very much like to learn your feelings about this war, Captain Tagaya. Most in the West do not believe that an Eastern power will be able to defeat a Western one. To whom should I speak about arranging a time for me to have a formal interview with you. I know you are a very busy man. I do not wish to intrude, but I think The Americans would very much like to hear what you have to say about this war."

“An interview Miss Carlton.”

The Captain seemed to consider Talia’s request, Tagaya face remained an unreadable mask that gave no hint to what thoughts might lurk behind his heavily hooded eyes as he stood and bowed ever so slightly to the young auburn haired beauty. Isko Tagaya was pleased at how easily the young western beauty had fallen into his hands. Now was the time to strike.


" If you desire an Interview then follow me, Miss Carlton. I must continue my duties in another location but I will give you what time I can."


Tagaya saw the flare, a flash of determination in the girl’s soft blue eyes as the young beauty turned to follow him. The Captain led Talia down a back stair case. Down it spiraled until they stood before a delicately carved double oaken door flanked by two Japanese sailors who came to ridged attention as they approached and swung the doors open. What greeted Talia was a large room with a simple desk and chair. The only other furnishing was a large four poster bed. The young western beauty felt a hand at the small of her back as she was propelled into the room and the doors closed behind her with a solid thud that had a note of finality to it.

“Miss Carlton your ensemble is quite fetching my dear and the pale dove grey does suite your completion but it is time for you to remove your clothing for I have decided to take you as my newest concubine..”

Captain Isko Tagaya smile slowly faded as he closed the distance between them in a single step and for the first time Talia could see that there was a deadly power and grace in the way the man moved.

”I would do as he says Miss Carlton The Captain is a very determined man and he has paid quite handsomely for you.

There was no mistaking Mr. Cumming’s sneering voice as he stepped from the shadow.

” Now the Captain here knows what a woman like you is for, unlike the Major.

Cummings caressed Talia’s cheek with the back of his hand.

” Captain Tagaya our little Miss has been training for war so I am sure she will want to defend her honor. I shall leave you to get to know the Captain better Miss Carlton

Mr. Cummings turned to leave. Then paused at the door.

Oh and by the way I will make sure that the major knows you have decided to cover the war from the Japanese lines and your baggage has been removed from Sagamore so there will be no rescue party to come and save you from a fate worse than death.

There was a chilling black fire in Captain Isko Tagaya eyes as if he were daring Talia to defend herself. And Mr. Cumming’s taunting laughter filled her ears as it slowly faded away leaving her faced with a man that had less than honorable intentions in regards to her.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top