Ask a MtF TG a question

Hiya stickygirl :kiss::kiss::kiss:

I hope life is treating you well my lil gorgeous. :rose:
Life is so busy these days that I never get time to come on here anymore which is a shame.

Aside from my usual London burlesque stage shows, I am now presenting a weekly music and arts radio show en-femme called A Low Life In High Heels With Gwen Ever. All those years of working on tour with bands is paying off, so I am getting top guests and last week for instance I had the only UK radio interview with Voice of The Beehive when they came over to play a reunion show for the first time in 15 years.

My next movie Witches Brew a comedy horror, premieres at the Horror On Sea Film Festival on 20th January, in which I play an elderly trans demon hunter. Was great fun to do, but as I did all my own stunts ended up really bruised and with pneumonia, after spending 3 days in a sub zero grave yard in my delicates .

I start filming my role in the new Queen movie next week, which by unplanned casting means I will actually be playing my old drag queen boss from the late 70s.

Still not dating, just cant be bothered to waste the little free time I have trying :kiss:

How has life been treating you?

NIS:rose::rose::rose
 
What a lovely surprise and how good to hear your news! Impressive news too, but at least I can have the pleasure of being able to say, 'well I knew her before she was really famous'. I hope that your fame will not make a stranger of you, though I appreciate how busy you must be. Please do let us know some screening dates when you have them and what channel is your radio show on? :rose:
I am well, have a partner just now and I'm still working at the same place. I had a proper holiday a few weeks back - took a flight to the Canaries and joined family friends on a yacht ( not theirs ) for some sailing. I even avoided being seasick, though only because I was wise enough to take pills this time. We saw lots of wild life: small whales, dolphins and had some great food - sea food, which I love. Being able to pack just a few clothes and not worry about dressing up was a bonus - shorts and tee everyday :) :)
I've just glanced back at your words and I'm so chuffed for you, Well done. Crikey you deserve some recognition after all the troubles and hard work you've endured!
Stay well, stay happy and don't leave it too long next time :kiss::rose:
 
HI Sticky, I hope you dont mind me asking. I live in a part of Asia where trans is very common. I have even worked with some in the past and we always had very enjoyable times. I have heard that male to female take birth control pills for the hormones to assist with the transistion. Is this true? I hope Im not being rude.
 
Hi AF and thanks for your question.
You are half-right in referring to birth control pills and you may also hear the term HRT ( hormone replacement therapy ) being used describe the treatments for transitioning, which is more commonly known as a regime given to women to help with the effects of menopause. Like most drugs, hormones perform more than one function and one of the hormones normally used in birth control is estrogen, which is also a hormone needed to encourage female characteristics to develop in MtF trans women. The other hormone often used in BC is progestin, but that is not a MtF drug; instead progestogens are often prescribed to counter the body's natural production of testosterone. There are other hormones used in both treatments and their quantity and proportion depends on the individual, which is why self-prescribing is always a risk: what works for one person may give another blood clots. If someone goes out and buys birth-control drugs, they may be buying inappropriate or even dangerous hormones and the long-term effects may not be immediately apparent so people need to be very careful and find out exactly what they need and what is in the pills they are taking.

Once an individual gets to know the way their body reacts then they can probably decide if they feel 'low on E' and adjust their intake themselves. Switching between pills and patches is never straightforward because of the time it takes for the hormones to get to work etc.
 
Hi AF and thanks for your question.
You are half-right in referring to birth control pills and you may also hear the term HRT ( hormone replacement therapy ) being used describe the treatments for transitioning, which is more commonly known as a regime given to women to help with the effects of menopause. Like most drugs, hormones perform more than one function and one of the hormones normally used in birth control is estrogen, which is also a hormone needed to encourage female characteristics to develop in MtF trans women. The other hormone often used in BC is progestin, but that is not a MtF drug; instead progestogens are often prescribed to counter the body's natural production of testosterone. There are other hormones used in both treatments and their quantity and proportion depends on the individual, which is why self-prescribing is always a risk: what works for one person may give another blood clots. If someone goes out and buys birth-control drugs, they may be buying inappropriate or even dangerous hormones and the long-term effects may not be immediately apparent so people need to be very careful and find out exactly what they need and what is in the pills they are taking.

Once an individual gets to know the way their body reacts then they can probably decide if they feel 'low on E' and adjust their intake themselves. Switching between pills and patches is never straightforward because of the time it takes for the hormones to get to work etc.

Wow, your knowledge is amazing. Thank you for that very detailed answer. Does that also mean that with low testosterone they cant maintain an erection anymore? My friends husband had low levels and had to have as you described above HRT. She said it made a huge difference. Is the opposite then true?
 
Wow, your knowledge is amazing. Thank you for that very detailed answer. Does that also mean that with low testosterone they cant maintain an erection anymore? My friends husband had low levels and had to have as you described above HRT. She said it made a huge difference. Is the opposite then true?
I think there can be any number of reasons for erection problems (or what its owner perceives as a problem). Some problems can be temporary like a bout of flu, but they can be more persistent and could be due to stress or some physiological problem, which might include low testosterone. I read about low-T on the boards here quite bit and it seems to have become a go-to when looking for ED problems, when there is more likely to be some other underlying problem, like their general health. A doctor will normally look at a whole range of possible causes before tinkering with someone's T-levels.
I'm glad your friend got checked out and you're right, he had a version of HRT - it is only a general description of hormone treatment, not what is actually in the pills/patches/syringe.

I ought to buy myself a nurses outfit for these discussions but I'm only speaking as someone who is more familiar with hormones - I have no qualifications in this! :D

Incidentally I follow Caroland, who is a trans woman on YouTube and she recently switched from patches to injections for her estrogen and has developed bigger boobs ( and put on a little weight too ). Hmmm..... that's interesting!
 
Depersonalisation?!
Hardly a week passes when some new bit of jargon comes along, but this was an eye-opener for me
When you read something that kicks off with bullet points that have you saying "No way, this was me!" then you read on. There's plenty in this article by Zinnia Jones to keep most people interested who feel a sense of disconnect: like part of you is going through the stuff of everyday life, while the real you just kinda sits back and watches.
 
Last edited:
Depersonalisation?!
Hardly a week passes when some new bit of jargon comes along, but this was an eye-opener for me
When you read something that kicks off with bullet points that have you saying "No way, this was me!" then you read on. There's plenty in this article by Zinnia Jones to keep most people interested who feel a sense of disconnect: like part of you is going through the stuff of everyday life, while the real you just kinda sits back and watches.

I wonder if the internet has caused an increase in these symptoms of feeling disconnected?
 
I wonder if the internet has caused an increase in these symptoms of feeling disconnected?
Hmmm... not sure that's the case Coati. I think it's allowed people to share those feelings more easily.

The other thing that's been aired/griped over just now is the apparent explosion of numbers of kids who claim to be trans - that it is ALL a fad. Well naysayers would say that wouldn't they? I suspect there is a grain of truth in the rumour: more kids are coming forward as 'trans' BUT there are still checks in place ( or should be ) to ensure they have proper counselling and guidance and are given time to figure things out. Insistent, persistent and consistent are the yardsticks by which a therapist assesses a kid and then they'll carefully nudges them to a conclusion that fits their nature.
 
Hmmm... not sure that's the case Coati. I think it's allowed people to share those feelings more easily.

I definitely see your point about the upside of the internet for providing connected-ness, especially for unjustly stigmatized populations.

However, lately I also see the downside of the internet for providing a connection to reality. Just as easily as the internet can be used to share reality, it can be used to promote unreality or a virtual world of lies. If a disassociated person grabs onto the latter, things can get much worse. Witness the explosion of fact-denying trolls and the associated impact on elections.

I am currently reading this book written by a Vietnam War veteran, who was so traumatized that he frequently went into a dream state while awake, sometimes not being able to tell if he was alive or dead. He eventually found himself again by connecting with wilderness and nature. I really wonder if many of the aforementioned trolls are causing an explosion in humans who are disassociated from reality.

But, that is somewhat off-topic for this thread...
 
I see where you're coming from, but in the context of depersonalisation, as described in that article, it is more systemic than PTSD or similar. The symptom frequently described by pre-hormone MtF trans folk is one of going through our daily lives feeling like an observer to our own life (amongst other things). What has been reported, though cannot yet be substantiated, that those feelings disappeared within a few weeks of starting estrogen and that's something with which I concur. You'll perhaps have read how trans women have reported feeling in control of their lives for the first time? It had been supposed this was simply a feel-good from having finally started hormones, but there may be secondary biochemical actions promoted by estrogen, that offer an explanation. Oh dear... here the biology gets complicated and beyond me but... the is a recognised condition, unrelated to being trans, a symptom of which is this disassociation. Receptors in those brains are being interrupted and it is thought that estrogen kinda unblocks those receptors ( sorry - dreadful summation ).

I love that so much fresh research is now being undertaken to better understand processes in the brain in all areas, not just the trans one. But there are aspects of being trans the provide insight into other brain functions in the cis-gender population. You'd almost think we were the same old species after all ;)
 
Hmmm... not sure that's the case Coati. I think it's allowed people to share those feelings more easily.

The other thing that's been aired/griped over just now is the apparent explosion of numbers of kids who claim to be trans - that it is ALL a fad. Well naysayers would say that wouldn't they? I suspect there is a grain of truth in the rumour: more kids are coming forward as 'trans' BUT there are still checks in place ( or should be ) to ensure they have proper counselling and guidance and are given time to figure things out. Insistent, persistent and consistent are the yardsticks by which a therapist assesses a kid and then they'll carefully nudges them to a conclusion that fits their nature.

I know several people who would've come out as trans in the 90s or earlier had they realised it was an option, and had they felt safe enough to do so.

Until my early twenties, I think my only awareness of transgender women was as a punchline/plot twist, Crying Game and that sort of thing. Trans men, several years after that.
 
Just a PSA that today is Trans Day of Remembrance 20th Nov 2017

Here's a post from Transadvocate, with a pamphlet attached listing the names of those murdered in the last year worldwide.

What should you do if you'd like to help? Look up a local LGBT or Trans centre, go along and stand with us :rose:
 
Last edited:
Comments ranked by level of transphobia.
 

Attachments

  • transphobia_scale.jpg
    transphobia_scale.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 0
tumblr_p3bgrbiF3d1tm163xo1_540.jpg


Sophie Labelle always nails it :) :)
 
MtF

M? to F wtf?

why have I accepted this abbv when I've never been M? Sheesh - how did that one get by me? Thanks to Sophie Labelle's friend for wrecking the title of my thread :rolleyes::D
I'm not keen on AMAB either because that feels like some kind of sneaky admission that's muttered quietly under your breath, so I'm gonna be SGABEWDASMWMP

So Gorgeous At Birth Everyone Was Dazzled and Showered Me With Male Privilege... that has a ring to it. :)

Or just trans...
gorgeous trans :kiss:
 
You know, I must be like that relative you once described-- I don't even think of you as having 'transitioned".

My main gender-related perception about you is femininity, the same as all my female friends.
 
You know, I must be like that relative you once described-- I don't even think of you as having 'transitioned".

My main gender-related perception about you is femininity, the same as all my female friends.
:heart::heart:
Bless you Coati! It's a strange thing that these days I think less about my gender than before I transitioned. Before it was a roadblock, an itch I couldn't scratch, a weight on my brain and a source of depression. Now I fret about split ends or the laughter lines I'm getting round my eyes. Being normal is so beautifully 'dull'! :)
 
Why scientists should shut the fuck up

Prof Ben Munson, University of Minnesota, rushed out some half-baked, poorly led and basically incorrect fake research to the world press today 16th Feb 2018.

“The gender of children can be picked up from their speech from as young as five years old, researchers have revealed” says The Guardian.

In the news article, and others that support it, it asserts

“While Munson said gender dysphoria/GID is a good predictor of who is going to grow up to be a (sic) adult gay man,[patently incorrect] he rejected concerns that speech traits in childhood could be used to predict future sexual orientation, noting there are no long term studies in the area.“

Wtaf does that paragraph mean? Gender dysphoria has never been a predictor of who will grow up to be gay, dumbass - it’s gender, not sexuality. His rejection of the ‘concerns’ was clearly a quick ‘I’d better cover my ass here’ but his homophobic squeal was already out of the bag.

There’s more…

Munson suggests the findings could help researchers understand where the lisp stereotype comes from, although he noted that the study was based on a self-selected sample of children.

“Perhaps the reason that we see a higher incidence of the [lisp] in these kids is because the parents were troubled by it because the parents themselves had this stereotype in their minds,” he said.


Ah! So his ‘control group’ was based on children brought in by parents who thought “My kid talks gay - you gotta fix him.” They recorded kids with a lisp and compared them to kids without a lisp and reached the fucking mind-boggling conclusion that “The parents think they might be gay, because they have a lisp. We played recordings to ‘adults’ [ we don’t know who they were ] and they said ‘yes, we can tell a difference and with some of those samples we really couldn’t tell if it was a girl or a boy speaking’.” So the professor and his team put two and two together and…. rang the press immediately because this is hot news.

Apart from the shoddy science, he has also handed playground bullies a 'scientific' marker to kids that have a lisp - 'because they're gay'. What a thoughtless and despicable act of academic egotism.
 
Last edited:
StickyGirl, I grew up in a time and a place where one just did NOT admit to being gay or bi. If you did anything it was on the sly and NEVER talked about. You'd be lucky to get away with just a beating and permanent ostracization. So you hide it, even from yourself.

Then, decades later those feelings start to surface again only now you have to hide them from your wife and kids who you DEARLY love and wouldn't trade for anything.

Yet those thoughts keep coming back. Remembering how as a 10yo +/- kid I'd fantasize about being in some terrible accident and the docs had to reassemble me but only had parts to make me a girl (who amazingly recovered perfectly and with no pain LOL).

If things then were as (relatively speaking) accepting as they are now, I suspect I'd have led a very different life, perhaps one with an operation but definitely one with a (mostly) different set of partners and mates.

Not exactly a question I guess. Just some rambling thoughts.

(This is not in any way a response the post before mine! Just my own thoughts that bubbled up)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top