Nerds ((closed))

A few moments passed and Lila was about to go back to her work when her phone sounded off again. She quickly went for her phone again, project completely forgotten. She blushed reading the messages he sent. As a reflex, she typed out,

Hmmm...gold bikini with gold tights? I can work with that

Her finger hovered at send as her brain kicked in. He's not flirting with you, you idiot. Remember he was checking out nerd boobs? Not your boobs. He probably was just associating what he's been looking at with your costume.

Sighing, she deleted everything and typed in another message instead.

Haha! That's a brilliant way to tell off the feelers. Not that I have any use for it. But no, I'm going in full robot costume. An old one I'm recycling. Me at the last con. Derek was really proud of that. Attached was a photo of her costume.

She sent that, followed by a

I don't think I can wear those anyway. Heck, I was even frightened to try the movie Harley Quin costume! Good thing I didn't have to. Haha!

It was true, she was scared going out in public dressed in such skimpy clothing. She knew of those guys who couldn't keep their hands to themselves. And there were those hypercritical people who would criticize anyone with a less-than-perfect body showing off skin in their costumes. Not that she considered herself too fat or too skinny, but she wasn't Victoria's Secret material. It was bad enough that she didn't feel too good about herself, but it was going to be worse if people pointed it out to her.

She bit her lips as she pressed send facing her dog. "Maybe it wouldn't hurt if I pretended a bit that he was really flirting with me, right? I mean...you know. Just for experience?"

Chloe barked, but the meaning of it was lost between owner and master.

"You're right. I shouldn't. He has a girlfriend. He was probably thinking of her in that outfit." She sighed. "Of course, she'd be perfect just like him."

Another set of messages and she smiled sadly to herself. "I'm so way out of the league of the guys I'm attracted to."

I think you'd look better as Snow. That way, you don't have to grow a scruff if you don't want to. Here are a few photo ideas just to get you going ;)

Derek would love to make that bike for you. His brother has a bike he's no longer using and Derek could finally get to put it to some use. And you can always do this if you really want to attract attention. Haha!

Her heart pounded when he asked for the time and place they would be shopping and she scolded herself. for the thought that it could be a date to even cross her mind. And just to hammer the point down, he wasn't even fetching her. So it wasn't. A. Date. It was merely a friend helping out another friend. But she knew she needed a safety net or she would get carried away again.

She said the time and place and added, Maybe you could take Denise with you? I'm sure your girlfriend will love the sight of you in those clothes with girls ogling at you. Besides, it would be lovely to finally meet your mysterious enchantress. And she can be assured I'm not trying to take you from her. I mean, we're not even going from the same franchise. :)

She sighed, feeling like a loser as she sent the message. So stupid, pining after a taken guy like that.

----

Lila waited under the arch near the sculpture in the middle of the square where they were supposed to meet. She cursed herself for being too early. It showed too much how eager she was to see him. To see him under his shirt. She bit her lower lip. Well, if she couldn't get a man like him, the best she could do was take a look. Besides, he wanted to show off his body so that wasn't on her.

Again, she felt his phantom abs on her hands from the first time they met. They were firm, solid and felt good to the touch. Her hands molding into every ripple of his muscle. Involuntarily, she shivered. She opened her eyes, surprised she had them closed, picturing him half-naked. She growled at herself mentally.

No mental molestation, remember?
 
Most of the way to the square, his walk was more of a trot than anything. To say he was eager to get there seemed more like an understatement. Denise dragged her heels before heading out with friends, so by the time she was packed in her Uber he was already late. Throwing on jeans and a white cotton button down he left untucked, he jumped out the door so fast that he didn’t even notice the grey skies and the hint of rain. Then again, he didn’t even notice the trot he held until he got close to the marketplace.

Just as he was supposed to round the corner, he caught himself, slid his hands into his pants pocket allowing the shirt to bundle up around his wrists, and strut slowly into the square. It was a sudden transformation, changing from the frantic and excited idiot to one that was calm and cool. Inside he was as eager as ever, but he knew how to pull in his own dignity, and at least try not to appear like an idiot.

He spotted her under the arch. Good. He was in the right spot. Plus, he wasn’t so late that she left. She seemed to be leaning back against the arch, eyes closed, and smiling. Where ever she was in her mind palace, it definitely was making her happy. He slowed his walk, taking his time, because there was something about the way she smiled that made his gut quiver.

Over the last few days, Arthur thought a lot about Lila. Her messages especially - there seemed to be three different versions of them. There’s the ones that are straight and direct, as if answering a question on tax deductions. Then there was the ones that seemed to shove Denise into the conversation. Maybe once he mentioned her name, maybe once he talked about her, but Lila seems to bring her up right out of the blue all the time.

But then there are the ones that hint to a bit of a flirt. A suggestion of something more friendly than friends. Like that picture of snow, clearly with the abs show, but little less clearly suggesting the guy had no pants on. It hinted that she thought about him dressed like that, with a body like that. Those were the texts that were like small hits of sugar, causing him to want to keep prying for more. They were like the smell of fresh baked somethings, that makes your mouth water and search where it comes from. She seemed to be open enough to make him all that more curious.

Now she stood with her eyes closed, waiting, smiling. All he wanted to do was to find out what was there to make her smile. To know more. To learn more.

But then again, that would be weird.

He stood in front of her, smiled, and while her eyes were still closed said. “I’m not so late you fell asleep on me, am I?”
 
The moment Isa was about to open her eyes, a voice yanked her back to reality by surprise. Her eyes flew wide open and she put a hand to her chest holding her breath. And when she saw him she let out a huge breath of relief.

"Holey frogger!" She gave him a light slap on his arm. "You scared me!" She let out a little chuckle and looked up at the skies. "I'm going to get you for that but for now, let's get to the shop. Looks like it's going to rain in a bit so let's hope we can be done before it pours over our heads."

Not that she hated the rain. In fact she always loved playing under it as a kid. The problem was what would happen a few days later. Fits of coughing and colds, which would fade after a few days of proper medication. At times, the tradeoff was worth it. Other times, she regretted even a tiny drop landing on her head.

Isa led him into a house past some shops around the area. She rang the doorbell and a woman carrying a baby opened the door.

"So this is him, Isa?" The woman stepped aside for them to come in to her home.

"Yep. Arthur, this is Allie. She's the best cosplay costume designer I know. She did the costumes of some of the winners for the last 6 cons."

Allie put the baby on a walker and studied Arthur. "Of course, I only do stuff for amazing cosplayers and friends. And in your case, I think Snow will suit you just fine." She picked up her measuring tape and rubbed her chin. "Could you remove your shirt? I'll take a few measurements."

Isa took the baby from the walker and sat on the couch holding him in her arms with a smirk. Of course he didn't need to take off his shit, but Allie was just looking for an excuse to look at him. Her husband wouldn't mind, of course. He trusted Allie, and Allie was too in love with him to even consider being another man's woman. But that didn't mean she didn't indulge herself in gawking at men's bodies.

"So, you both going for Final Fantasy?"

"Nah, just him. I'm going as C3PO."

"Again?" Allie rolled her eyes. "Arthur, talk to this woman will you? That girl is hiding under way too much layers of clothing."

For a moment, Isa considered saying no, but as she looked down on herself, she realized her friend was right. Over her underwear was a camisole, a pink button-down long-sleeves and a thin, gray jacket with a matching gray skirt that went just below her knees hiding a pair of bloomers over her panties. But even if today's society called that too much, it felt...comfortable to her.

Without saying anything, she looked at them and kept a neutral face as she felt a pang of jealousy. Allie was certainly doing nothing wrong--she was just ogling at Arthur as she took the measurements. And they weren't together, so the feeling was highly irrational. And yet, there it was.

Oh, get used to it. Other girls at the con would find him just too yummy to keep their eyes off.
 
“C3PO … she says she’s worn it before to this too.” Arthur added to the pushback on his friend’s costume of choice. “For that reason alone, she needs to come up with something else. If I understand right, we aren’t talking sexy gold spandex and all that … but way too much asexual coverage.”

There was something fun about raising the awkwardness in the room, or the sexual tension of it. Between the excitement of sneaking out on his girlfriend to go costume shopping, and the excitement of what this Con will be like in some sort of costume, he was not short of eagerness to see what happens.

Of course, while saying all this, he continued to unbutton his shirt at Allie’s request. Arthur did what he could to stay in shape, but he definitely wasn’t some musclebound gym rat. Still, a six pack was better than a two or three pack. Sliding his shirt off his shoulder, he handed it to Allie who found a hanger for it nearby.

“My my,” Allie exclaimed. “Looks like our little lady bagged herself a looker.”

He should have corrected Allie. Should have subtly mentioned Denise. Should have pulled the subject in a direct that has nothing to do with who had who. Instead he blushed, and started feeling a little self-conscious. “This isn’t one of those outfits that I have to shave my chest or something, isn’t it?”

Allie pulled her measuring tape straight as she stood right in front of him. “That depends on your manscaping skills. I could make the pants dip a little bit. Allow you to show off if you have any Brazilian in your waxing skills.” She reached around his torso to grip the measuring tape and prepare to measure around his waist. Her reach became more like an embrace, an embrace that lasted well longer than probably was needed. Her full, likely feeding ready breasts pressed into his chest. It was … not unwelcome … but still lingered more than it should.

“Wow,” he smirked. “I don’t know if I am getting sized up or sexually harassed.”

Allie leaned back looking at the tap measurement. “Wait until I get to your inseam.”

He laughed, looked up at the ceiling and took his abuse in stride. “It better be the damn sexiest C3PO every.”
 
Lila watched as Allie's hands touched him and lingered here and there, on his chest, his abs, his thighs...Lila couldn't help but blush and look away, back to the child in her arms. Again, her hands felt his lean chest and his sculpted stomach and she had to squeeze the baby a bit to remind herself that he was off-limits.

Allie stood putting a hand on his shoulder. "I have a better idea. C3PO is not a good companion for Snow. Nope. It has to be Final Fantasy. You're going as Ashe."

"Ashe!" Lila looked up at her. "You have got to be kidding me!"

Allie snickered and pulled out her phone showing Arthur a photo of Ashe. "Cut her hair, blonde her and a little make-up...it works, right?" Without waiting for his answer, she put the phone in his hands as she finished taking his measurements, hands gliding along his legs through his jeans.

"I have flabs in my tummy! I can't!" Lila protested.

"Oh, shush!" Allie took her child from Lila and put her back in her walker. "Stand up straight, it disappears. It really helps if you stop slouching all the time. Besides, you were going to go as Harley the last time, right?"

"But--"

"Well, I'm not making his costume if you don't agree," Allie frowned.

Lila groaned. "You're a bully."

"Of course!" Allie grinned and took the phone from Arthur. "Now don't stare too hard. Build up excitement to the brim before you start exploding." She winked at him. "Now, you two continue on your date and I'll work on your costumes. I won't even charge. I still have your measurements, Lila."

"You got it wr--"

"Oh shush!" Allie cut off Lila's protest before she could deny their relationship.

"But--"

"Shoo! Scat! Before I drool all over him and my husband chases him with a machete. Besides, I have to feed Ollie now, and I don't want you here when I do."

Lila shook her head and waited for Arthur to finish dressing, stealing glances as the cloth slid over his perfect skin. His shirt tightening around his fit form. She clenched her hands and looked out the window trying to remember a battlefield.

Lila, the man has a girlfriend. Get. A. Grip!

She smiled at Arthur, trying to hide the things in her head. Things like the permanent print of his well-toned body in her mind. The constant nagging of the feel of his body on her hands. The curl of his lips as he smiled. As if he shared that smile with her.

Frogger! You're hopeless, Lila!

They stepped out of the house and walked back toward the park, not noticing the darkening skies. "Sorry about Allie. She's just a bulldozer like that," she said walking beside him. "Look, I know it's going to be embarrassing for you to come with me, so you don't have to. I mean, I don't look like you. I mean, not like you, like you. What I'm trying to say is, I look horrible showing skin. Like a pig. I mean, not like a pig. I'm not fat. I just...uh...I don't know what I'm trying to say." She laughed sheepishly.

"Point is, you're going to look so cool in that costume." She closed her eyes, her lips curling in a smile heedless of where she's walking seeing him in her mind's eye. "And a real working motorcycle."

A drop of rain landed on her forehead and she opened her eyes. "Uh..." She rummaged her bag for an umbrella and groaned seeing Chloe's toys. "Really, Lila? Wrong bag again?" she muttered to herself.
 
Last edited:
"Cut her hair, blonde her and a little make-up...it works, right?"

Arthur kept looking between the phone with a picture of Ashe then over to Lila. Just as quick, the picture in his mind of his new friend in the getup etched itself firmer and firmer into his thinking. He wanted to say that the armor with all of it’s impracticability would be wicked cool. He wanted to say that no one will be looking at her tummy, because an outfit like that will make her legs the center of attention.

He wanted to say that she would be absolutely gorgeous in it.

But his mouth was trapped in one of those moments where to say anything would be to say what shouldn’t be, say something different than what you mean, or say something changes everything.

It wasn’t until Allie pulled the phone from his hands that he woke up enough to respond. All he could say was a sarcastic, “I just don’t think that skirt if short enough.”



Outside, the air had turned colder. Clearly, weather was on it’s way, but for the moment the coolness was refreshing. Between thoughts of what Lila would look like in that outfit, and a way to handsy measuring effort, Arthur had a bit of steam rising from under his collar. He let her do all the talking for the moment. In part because he didn’t really trust his words at the moment. Mostly, though, she was peeling back one of those layers again. Not that confident and defiant gamer. Not that distant girl who seems to dodge subjects. No, this one was fighting through her own embarrassment. Trying to lower his expectations. Trying to convince him she would not make a good companion. Trying … but failing. Because all she could was become that much more fetching.

“I need to get a motorcycle now?” he smirked. As much of the shock of that part took him in, he immediately loved the idea. In a way, it made him relax, and made him want to start talking once more.

“Motorcycle, and how good we would look on it …” he let that ‘we float there for a bit before just letting his words come out. “For starters,this is the first time going to one of these things in any kind of costume; so believe me, I will be way more embarrassed without you regardless of what you wore. For second, I know as much about snow as I do quantum physics. I need you there to back me up with something to say if someone asks me about the character. if she’s sure that I got to trim the bushes, I’m the one that’s going to have those horrible razor stubble and unfortunate shaving scars everywhere; and that outfit is going to look great on you, so this isn’t gonna be a thing about who looks better than the other because we both know you will knock that out of the park. So I am pretty sure we both want to go to this convention, and in costume … but we will be better together than not, don’t you think?”

The rain started coming, and started with big thick drops. The liquid quickly soaking through his thin shirt. Well, if you wanted break the conversation, this would do it. “Wow, picked the wrong day to wear a cotton shirt,” he quipped. “Or for that matter, picked the wrong day to walk.”

He looked around the area hopelessly. “Is there anywhere we can get to and hide out for a bit?” His thought was some overhang, or some pub, or something like that. This wouldn’t pass very quickly, but he would be a wet dog in a matter of seconds with a long way to get home.
 
Lila was still rummaging in her bag as Arthur went on about how they should be together throughout the con. His remarks froze her. No, not the part where he didn't know much about his character or the franchise he was supposed to be starring in, but...trimming the bushes. She tried to breathe through her thoughts. Tried not to let her imagination run wild. But that was like telling her not to breathe at all. Imagination and creativity were in her blood. It's what helps rpg sessions fun for everyone and what helps her make all those crazy programs that no one else thought about. Although this time it was pushing her toward thoughts of what lay under Arthur's pants.

For a flicker of a moment, she wondered if what she saw in hentai anime were the same as in real life. Or were they merely exaggerations?

And as for her, she always felt like her own bush was unhygenic, so off they went along with her armpit hair. But if he didn't, then maybe having them removed was probably way more disgusting?

"...hide out for a bit?”

Arthur's voice shook her off her own thoughts. "Uh...hide?"

As if responding to her question, the skies dropped a torrential rainfall over their heads. The kind that was too heavy too quickly. And, almost instantly, Lila's clothes began clinging to her, though the layers made sure it didn't reveal her figure, it definitely showed more of her than she usually did.

Without another thought, Lila grabbed Arthur's hand and pulled him back to the archway where she waited for him. It didn't have much by way of shielding them from the rain, but at least the rain wasn't drumming on their ears.

Lila wrapped her jacket around herself, slowly feeling the cold creep into her skin. "Look, this is my fault. My place is just a few blocks from here. We could make a run for it and you can shower and I'll have your clothes in the dryer. You can use my bathrobe in the meantime. Don't worry, it's not a pink fluffy matron bathrobe or anything like that. If anything, your namesake's trademark towel is printed on it. And my place is nothing fancy. Just an apartment. And I left Chloe with Mrs. Meredith. If you want to see her, we should get dry first."

She was beginning to shiver as she waited for Arthur's answer. In so many ways, her constitution was absolutely horrible. It still amazed her how she had even survived all those years growing up without dying of whatever virus was coming along. Taking a deep breath, she looked at him and almost immediately regretted it. His shirt--his white shirt--hid nothing to the imagination. And seeing him innocently bared like that was, in some strange way, even more seductive than when he took off his shirt.

Thank heavens he was wearing jeans or she would be having a nosebleed right then and there!
 
“Remember this day,” Arthur said to himself, a smile as wide as his face, as has rested back against doorway. Lila was fiddling with the keys in a last effort to break into her apartment and get them out of the rain. The wash of the water across his face was relentless, but he sat back in it like he was meant to live his whole life soaked in such storms. In those last moments before finding drier places he breathed, “remember this feeling, remember this day.”

Of course their run to Lila’s place didn’t start so uplifting. In fact, Arthur clearly remembers starting the run with her fingers wrapped in his with him saying “This is Crazy, This is Crazy, This is Crazy.”

And it was.

Holy hell it was crazy.

Not just running around in the rain. But the whole of it. He wasn’t going to be able to hide all these wet things from Denise if he ever got home, even if they did dry his shirt and pants, what about his shoes. Hell how did he think he could hide a Snow costumer while he was at it.

Or hide this … this thing with Lila … whatever it was … how was he going to hide that. Or why did he have to.

All he knew was that when Lila suggested they go back to his place, he felt as excited as he did back when he would troll the bars in college and got a girl to agree to come home with him. It wasn’t like she was suggesting they do anything back there, but … she stood there, the layers upon layers of clothes doing nothing to show that there was no ‘flabs’, and no pig was standing next to him. The rain didn’t hide the fact that she shouldn’t be hiding anything. Just the thought ... this was the first time he realized that … maybe going home with Lila wasn’t the worst thing in the world

About two blocks into their run, they came up to a street completely flooded. Cars would go through and leave a wake, one of them giving a good splash across his now heavy pants. The thing was, he was feeling so excited now that it didn’t bother them. A wicked grin came across his face.

“Alright, I quit,” he laughed. “I don’t think I can get any wetter so, screw this running in the rain. I’m gonna start dancing in it.”

Just like that, he leaped into street and stomping the puddle so it completely showered him in muddy liquid. “See?” he yelled to her. “Like Frogger.” And he proceeded to stomp in the water across the street. Spinning with his hands wide and dripping in sheets he called back to Lila. “This storm has got it. No use running from it anymore. It’s gonna win!”

Of course, he was only talking about the rain.

Of course.

The rest of the way, he danced, spun around poles, kicked at puddles, and hung under downspouts. The streets were his canvas, and the rain was his paint - and all he was doing was masterpiece of creative relief. The fun of it just became infectious and freeing. Like he had been trying to outrun the rain his whole life, and now he was finally dancing in it.

That was the feeling he wanted to remember. That is the thing about this day he didn’t want to forget.

As he stood next to Lila when she opened the door, he saw her shivering , and the effects of the wetness getting to her. He told himself, ‘Get her inside, get her warm. Just focus on that.’

And remember this day.
 
There was always that but... about guys Lila can't have. She knew she couldn't have them. They were deities the gods set upon the world, untouchable by by birth, unreachable by who they become.

But...


Arthur wasn't just a god among men. He was a god being a man, reaching out to her. Into her. Into her heart and soul without meaning to and, in the end, taking her whole being with him. All her efforts at guarding herself, at reminding herself that he couldn't ever be with a mortal like her were washed by the rains, as hand-in-hand, they ran through the streets...or more like walked really fast so she wouldn't pass out with exertion. And through the cold rain, her god was the only warmth, feeding her a steady stroke of heat though his hands that radiated throughout her body.

Her glasses, too wet from the petling rain had become a nuisance and she quickly shoved them into her hopelessly wet pouch where everything she had was hopelessly wet too. Through her blurred vision, she felt before she saw that the floodwater had risen above the gutter line, emphasized by the little fountain of splash a car gave her skirt.

“Alright, I quit,” he laughed. “I don’t think I can get any wetter so, screw this running in the rain. I’m gonna start dancing in it.”

Lila blinked at him. "You don't really mean--" She didn't have to say more as Arthur started to play in the rain.

“See?” he yelled to her. “Like Frogger.”

As blurred as her vision was, it didn't mean she was blind. She could still clearly make him out. Like a kid having fun in his first time out in the rain. Her heart lifted. Soared as she watched him. A smile and a laugh from her mirroring his grin and his challenge to the world.

“This storm has got it. No use running from it anymore. It’s gonna win!”

He was right. There was no use hurrying back to her place, drenched as they were. There was nothing for it but to enjoy themselves. She went after him wherever he splashed and danced, sometimes kicking a puddle at him. She had no qualms that she couldn't dance, but his levity was so infectious that she danced--or rather flailed--along with him. She knew she looked more like a clumsy penguin more than Gene Kelly in Singing in the Rain, but she didn't care, and apparently, neither did he. Her strange shuffling and her awkward arms felt, for the first time, comfortable. And, for a change, she was not being laughed at. She was laughing along.

It was almost too sad when they finally reached her block. And, still slightly flooded, there was no way she was going to get Chloe yet. Her hands fumbled at her keys, fishing them out from her soggy bag. With the adrenaline gone and the laughter dying down, she shivered again as the cold rain soaked through her clothes and skin and right into her bones.

Her door finally opened with a click and she turned to him. "W-what did you--you say? S-s-sorry, the rain's-s-s so loud, I d-didn't hear."

She led him through the building dripping all the way up to the second floor and opened the door more quickly despite her hand shaking in the cold.

Lights on, her unit was no larger than a container van. Immediately to the left was the kitchen in a straight line with a small shelf for Chloe's things. The walls both opposite the door and right beside them were shelves and shelves of books, comics, manga, RPG manuals, figurines and spaceships from Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek and others, CDs, DVDs and Blu Ray copies of movies, series and anime, boardgames with titles that common people didn't know. To the right was a queen sized bed with different medieval swords and wands and brooms decorating the headboard wall. To its right was a small cabinet and a coat rack where her towel and her bathrobe were, and to its left was the door to the bathroom. At the foot of the bed was her workstation with three screens and two tower CPUs. And above it was the TV and a PS4 console.

There was very little room there to walk around and absolutely no room to hide.

She took off her shoes and her socks and laughed. "M-my toes are rais-s-sins..." She breathed. "You can t-take the bathrobe and get in the sh-shower. Just dump your th-things out the d-door. I'll take th-them t-to the dr-dryer ups-stairs." She then let her jacket fall to the floor with a wet, heavy slap and hugged herself. "Y-you want t-tea or coffee?"
 
“Oh hell no,” Arthur spurted out without much thought. “I ain’t going to let you be a chittering and a chattering as you shiver yourself into nothing. Get yourself into the shower first, and get yourself warmed up.”

He was shaking his head while standing his ground. Still it he was able to start soaking up the unique surroundings. At first, it was just the shock ho different it felt. Arthur and Denise shared a highrise apartment with floor to ceiling windows throughout. All the furnishings use contemporary minimalist concepts, with clean sharp lines throughout. There are no books except those on tables not meant for reading. There are no nick-nacks and do-dads. Nothing is without a place, and nothing is out of a place. The rare visitor is impressed with the sleek, sophisticated feel.

Lila’s place was … not like that.

“I am serious,” he reiterated. “Bad enough I let you get caught out there, but I am not about to have your death by hypothermia on my conscious.”

He already had the itch to explore. All the books. All the games. All the little hints of something cool. He wanted to touch everything. To read everything. To experience everything. But then he thought, that would be a bit messy.

“Just get me a towel, and I will dry myself off until you done. I’ll hang out here with … “ he stopped and looked around “... where’s Chole? She doing a sleepover with her friends or something?”
 
“Oh hell no. I ain’t going to let you be a chittering and a chattering as you shiver yourself into nothing. Get yourself into the shower first, and get yourself warmed up.”

Lila blinked. "But...you're th-the guest-t-t..." She puffed a breath out trying to get some heat in her shivering body.

“I am serious. Bad enough I let you get caught out there, but I am not about to have your death by hypothermia on my conscious.”

The force with which he said the words and his whole personality--plus the fact that it made sense because it was obvious she was the only one feeling cold--made her fold. She nodded hugging herself a little tighter. "W-what about--about you?"

“Just get me a towel, and I will dry myself off until you done. I’ll hang out here with … “

Lila nodded and quickly scurried off to her little closet to grab an extra towel.

“... where’s Chole? She doing a sleepover with her friends or something?”

She looked back at him as she stuck her hand through the piles of clean laundry. "W-with my ne-neighbor. I-I l-leave her th-there t-to keep the old lady c-company." She pulled out a towel and took her own and her change of clothes and walked toward him. "M-make yours-self comfortable. Don't wo-worry about get-ting things wet. E-e-except th-the b-boxed items and b-books. And j-just put your things on-on the floor. I'll t-take care of it-t."

Handing him the towel, she walked quickly to her bathroom and started to shower. As soon as the hot water hit her naked body, her mind started to process everything that just happened. For the first time in her life since she was a child, she played in the rain and it felt so good! She'd probably pay for it later, but she didn't mind. And then, there was Arthur, just doing whatever he wanted without a care in the world. The image of him playfully challenging the downpour put another smile on her face. Of course, that image included him in his drenched white shirt. With how wet it was, it was more like "what shirt?" And now, he was in her place! Another man, other than a gaming pal in her place! It felt...unreal. Like it was a dream.

Lila shivered, but this time, not because of the cold. Her body was already warm...and warming up even more quite quickly.

She shook her head and proceeded to shampoo herself. All of this was really nothing. It was just friends waiting out the rain. That was it. Besides, he had a girlfriend. All he was really going to do was dry himself and leave when it was over. Maybe check out a few stuff or two on her shelves...

Uh-oh...her things were all out in the open. Not that they were bad, but her hentai collection were not stowed away. There was a whole shelf space dedicated to it covered by sliding glass. Rows of DVDs, blu-ray, and Japanese manga (which she only bought to help her learn Japanese, which she did to understand anime) about different varieties of the stuff were there. Most of her collection were light and vanilla, but there were some stuff that ranged from wild, to bizarre to total insanity--some, she couldn't even watch for more than five minutes before she found them so disgusting she could puke.

Usually, when Lila had guests, she would have a fitted plank over it with a sticker that said "May the Force be with You." But she didn't have time, and with all her excitement and shivering, she completely forgot.

While she usually took 10-15 minutes in the shower, since her daily hygiene routine consisted of soap, conditioner and shampoo, this time she took eight minutes. She moved quickly, drying herself. In her haste, she bumped her funny bone on her sink and she let out a yelp, squatting on the floor as she held her elbow for a few seconds. And then, remembering why she was in a hurry, she quickly wore her white cotton underwear and her oversized Miskatonic University shirt and short and stepped out the bathroom door, her hair a messy nest of wet curls, hoping that he didn't even go to her secret stash.
 
It didn’t take fluent japanese to know what what the girl on the cover the of DVD was about to do. Her huge blue eyes, wicked little smile, gleaned up in the drawing towards the artist’s point-of-view of whatever male owned the pants she placed her cheek against. The dainty little fingers were splayed across an impressive growth tenting the garment. Arthur knew enough (and secretly seen enough) hentai to know the girl’s intentions. There was no english on the cover but he was sure it would be called something about a student or a teacher or … something japanesey. He slipped that one back into it’s home, and lifted another. This one showed a strong woman wielding a weapon of some sort, but wearing just a few bits of suggestion over the most naughty of naughty parts. The front was ablaze with exciting written characters defining some great story that laid inside, but only thing readable to the Arthur was the very clear 18+ one only could assume is an age restriction. He flipped the cover over, and probably the most graphic pic of the collection looked back at him. Some damsel with long red hair laid on her back, her legs bent into her sides, her eyes wide, her mouth open in a silent cry. Unseen men held her wrists down in an effort to restrain her. She was naked, at least that is what could be assumed. A banner for the DVD flashed across her chest, and a far less subtle black censor line covered only enough that any intelligent person could tell was her entrance and whatever was entering her.

Arthur was five or six covers into the discoveries. Now clearly beyond the point of convincing himself that she should leave them be. That stopped somewhere around the way too buxom sports team video. It was also the only one he dared to open, and was quickly faced with far less censored drawings, one of which suggested one of the girls … well .. wasn’t completely a girl.

Lila’s place seemed like a candy store for his budding nerddom. From the games to the toys, it seemed like everywhere he looked there was something of interest. He had only removed his shirt, leaving it in a wad of wet over his shoes, and wrapped the towel around his shoulders so he wouldn’t drink on anything. He was immediately attracted to a reference to Star Wars, probably the one universe he could possible keep up with in a test of knowledge; and wandered over to where a plank with ‘May the Force Be With You’ was pushed aside. Getting DVDs we was probably the least amount of damage he could do, plus he thought he would find some new Star Wars cannon that he could take home and research. That changed a little quick.

Truth is, you don’t live with a grown woman as long as he has been with Denise and keep the illusion that women don’t have little hidden stuff like men do. Denise has her drawer of unmentionables that literally must go ‘without mention’. He doesn’t go in there, but he pretty much knows what is in there.

It’s nothing like this.

Hell, Arthur didn’t know that women actually watch any kind of porn, let alone … this.

Not that he can judge. Arthur has his own ‘unmentional’ drawer … more like a folder on his laptop. Once or twice he has taken an interest to a drawn video or two. But never had he thought about … this. Or thought a girl would either. He should be appalled by this. Should be ashamed for Lila. But instead it made him feel … made him feel …

It looked like an octopus, with deep red eyes, and tentacles drawing out from its mouth. . On this cover, the beast stood with a great firestorm behind it, as its arms reached out on either side. The beast had these same tentacles sprung forth from its arms, like a monster made from a thousand squid. At first glace this seemed out of place with the rest of the titles in this section, but for a small girl dressed in a sailor costume at the bottom corner. She was entangled in his appendages and cowered in fear. Arthur, unable to stop himself, popped open the cover, and was again confronted by the less censored insert. A girl, short blue hair and glasses, stripped of all her clothing, and clearly being violated by the beast. It’s tentacles bent as if fighting to breach the too tight openings. Her cries and the bend of her body suggested how much she fought, but how intense she felt.

There was only a few seconds staring at this photo before Arthur was rocked to consciousness by a yelp. The shower water had stopped, and for all he knew, he had seconds before he was caught looking at what he shouldn’t. Fumbling quickly with the DVD, he tried to shove it back where he found it and couldn’t be sure if he did when he spun towards the opening bathroom door. The towel, that had been hung over his bare shoulders he grabbed and quickly held at stomach level so that it draped over what might be a telltale sign in his pants of what he was looking at .

Then he saw that t-shirt, with the beast on a variation of the thing burned into his memory from the DVD he just returned. And beside the blue hair, she wasn’t so different either.

Through a dry throat, he could only croak out, “So, my turn?”
 
Arthur was standing in front of the forbidden section as soon as Lila came out of the bathroom doors. At first glance, there was no tell-tale sign that he had seen her secret stash by the way he stood, but other evidences quickly came in the seconds that they stood facing each other. Arthur's face was flushed, which was strange considering that the room lacked any heat. And then, there was the obvious tent in his pants, which he covered not-so-subtly with his towel.

“So, my turn?”

He saw. And by the embarrassed tone and the croak in his voice, he saw a lot of her collection.

Lila should be thankful that he didn't made fun of her pathetic collection of sexual content. Truth was, no respectable adult would favor drawing to the real thing, but to her, there was something a bit too sacred about the real thing. But despite everything, all she could think of was for the earth to swallow her whole or for the building to collapse on top of her and bury her alive. Panic was setting in as her embarrassment grew exponentially. She couldn't even move her head to turn away and each breath was getting labored and more constricted by the moment.

Lila tried to focus on her breathing. To forget the situation she was in. But his eyes on her and the reality of the situation constantly got in the way constricting her breathing more and more until her oxygen depleted body succumbed to hyperventillation, her knees buckling. She sat on the floor, breathing short quick breaths, her hands fumbling to the dressing table drawer beside her and pulled out an inhaler. Her fumbling caused the inhaler to fall from her hands and she scrambled to grab it, put it in her mouth and take a big, deep breath in. The inhaler hissed and she held her breath, until she sat quivering on the floor as her breathing slowly evened out, looking at the ground unable to look anywhere else.

Part of her wished that she didn't give in to her body's reaction to preserve her life as she sat there remembering what was going on and why she panicked in the first place. Dying would have been better. At least her shame would be over. But now, she was there, sitting in between Arthur and the bathroom leaving no room for him to make a graceful exit to the shower so she could compose herself and disappear with the laundry on the top floor of the building.

But under all that embarrassment and panic was one steadfast overwhelming emotion. Fear. Fear of what he thought of her. Fear of what he would do with the information. Fear of ridicule and rejection. Fear of losing him.
 
Sometimes, it doesn’t matter the situation, doesn’t matter how good the blood is flowing, any hint of arousal can be depleted faster than you expect. Arthur, still feeling his heart pounding from what he had seen in the video covers, nearly forgot all of it. How could he let that stay there in the forefront of his mind, really. When a girl … a friend … nearly falls to the ground in front of you; your first thought is concern, fear, worry that they may not be alright.

This stopped being awkward quickly. Getting caught sniffing around someone else’s business should have been shattering. When she sat on the floor, Arthur tried to close the gap between them quickly; though something told him to give her space, let her breathe, let her find her breath.

Again, in what seemed like another too short of a moment, she calmed; and his worry really took over -- and the awkwardness made it’s way back.

Arthur slid to the floor, finding a place to sit next to her. Close enough to be clear he worried for her, but still gave her her space.

Arthur tried to think of what to say.

What do you say in times like this.

He can’t unsee what he saw. She can’t undo what was done.

Slowly, chewing his lip, seeing how it was her embarrassment that seemed to be greater in all of this, he thought of something.

He swallowed hard and put it out there, “I never told anyone this but … I used to have this thumbdrive when I was a kid. I labeled it ‘nothing’ hoping noone would look at it. It had … well … umm …” he stopped and took a long breath. Thought maybe she could figure it out for herself. But slowly he realized he was telling her this to put them both on equal ground. “It had a bunch of Disney characters and cartoons, and it was pretty dirty.”

He smirked, not quite ready to look at her. “Like … dirty dirty.” With a shrug he continued. “One day, I was helping my sister with homework, and we needed to move some files. My mom said to me ‘why don’t you use that thumbdrive that says Nothing since there is nothing on that.’ It’s the way she said it that made me know that she knew. Needless to say, I didn’t watch much cartoons the rest of my childhood around the house.”

He stopped and took a long breath out, waiting to let it sink in.

“For what it’s worth, Tinkerbell was a slut.”
 
For a few moments, the silence stretched on like a weight in the room, heavy and thick. The tension and the awkwardness getting more and more pronounced each moment the silence passed. Lila was so aware of everything in the room. So aware of him approaching her, getting down to her level and all it felt was like an executioner about to tie the noose around her neck.

And then he spoke in his soothing voice with words that seemed so unbelievable for someone like him. At first, they felt like empty words to try and soothe her. Like words to say just to make her feel comfortable again. But the more he talked, the more his hesitation showed, and the more she realized, he was telling the truth. That he was baring to her a shame he carried for most of his life. And he was telling her this just to make the awkwardness go away?

No...that didn't make sense. If anything, the revelation even had a chance of backfiring. And if he did wan't the awkwardness to go away, he could've just shrugged off what he saw and pretend as if it was no big deal. It would have even preserved his integrity.

So why tell her such a secret?

Lila looked up at him, color returning to her cheeks as her ordeal gave way to embarrassment and gratefulness. Blue eyes met dark and through his eyes, she saw concern and genuineness she never thought she would see on a person like him.

Something inside her snapped and her need overwhelmed everything else--including sense. Lila wrapped her arms around him and laid her head on his chest, closing her eyes as if opening them would make this all-too-real dream go away. And even if it were real, she felt in her heart that this would be fleeting. That this moment would never happen again, and that whatever happened next, won't be anything she would regret. Even if he was going to shove her away.

At least, for the moment, for the first time in her life, someone put their reputation on the line for her. Someone was willing to sacrifice something valuable for her. And for a nerd like her, chances like those seen in the movie where a cool person intervenes for a bullied nerd, never really happened in real life. No social animal in their right mind would jeopardize their social capital for a nobody. This was as close to it as possible without the crowd and without the flair of movies.

"Thank you," she whispered holding him tighter, still unable to believe this was happening.
 
She smelt lightly like flowers, vanilla, and something else - the evidence of a freshly cleaned and showered hair. Her arms wrapped easily around him, and even the small form of her body seemed to warm him. He could almost feel the beat of her heart through her chest as it pressed into his. Naturally, he laid his arm over her shoulder, curled it so that he could return as much of the embrace as he could; and in doing so let it be something of comfort. They weren’t as much locked in a hug, but snuggled into each other, sharing this moment of warmth.

Quietly she slipped her thanks just loud enough to crest over the ambient sounds of the room and the rain.

Nearly just as quietly, he whispered, “that’s what friends are for.”

Immediately, his gut tightened. It was such a natural response, but it felt wrong; the wrong thing to say. It lingered there, lingered for a while, and left him feeling like he was stabbing himself in the back. He couldn’t even put a finger on why he hated what he said. All he knew was he needed to be careful to not say anything else wrong.

Instead, he let out a long sigh. “I think I am getting you floor wet in these pants.” It was his excuse to end the embrace. To head to the shower. Unceremoniously, he pulled his arms away, and lifted himself up. Remembering she was going to throw things into a dryer her said in passing “so I will just throw my pants in the hallway then?” He could barely look at her as he got up, not sure why he acted like that either. It was like his mind was pulling apart pieces of things that didn’t line up.

Entering the bathroom, he quickly turned on the shower and shucked his pants off. In his hurry, he didn’t get the door completely closed when he hung his pants outside of the bathroom door. Instead freeing himself of his boxers and jumping under the hot water. Immediately, he smelt the scent of soap and shampoo that poured off of Lila when she lay in his arms. So now, with this water around him, he stopped to try to get his shit together.

The challenge was as blunt as it could be in front of him. He liked being close to Lila, he liked doing stuff with her, he … well … he liked her.

But he was with Denise. He was dating, living, and with Denise. They had plans. They had a future. Him and Denise. Running the shampoo through his hair, he tried to remember all the great times he had with her. Going to dinner, hanging with their friends, going to holiday parties, clubbing. He remembered waking one sunday morning, and seeing the sun break through her hair as she slept, and feeling like her aura was enough to make him feel full. He remembered standing in a theatre for a musical, waiting outside the women’s bathroom, her coat over his arms; all while he was surrounded by generations of men, standing with women’s coats over their arm. How it made him feel normal, and accepted.

Then again, something happened there on the floor of Lila’s apartment. When she wrapped her arms around him, he felt something that seems foreign to him. Such an act seemed so different for Lila’s character as it was, but this moment, and the moments that led up to it; there was this great opening up by the girl, and it was caused by him. He felt like what he could do was make Lila be better because he was there; not for his stupidity or his stupid curiosity, but by showing her it was alright to have that stuff, it was alright to dress sexy for cosplay, it was alright to dance in the rain. This great woman … needed him. He never felt needed before.

Arthur felt warm. Felt warmer than any shower can make him feel. A smile grew wide on his face as he finished scrubbing himself down and finished his shower.

But as he shut off the water, the next thought flashed into his mind.

‘What the hell am I going to do about this.’
 
One moment, she was resting snugly in his arms enjoying his warmth, and the next he was gone. The rest of what he said lost in a blur after he said the words that put the nail of the coffin.

"That's what friends are for..."

The words kept repeating themselves in her head over and over. His words confirmed all their relationship was. Friends. It was utterly insane that she even had the slightest notion that there was a spark between them. Well, she knew there wasn't. And she wasn't hoping. It was just the silly feelings that wouldn't stop. The small moments that any friend would do for another that she bloated to epic proportions just because someone like him actually paid attention to her.

She felt like a kid let loose in a candy store. A child that lived on the streets and didn't have a single cent on her.

Lila looked at him as he stood, but he didn't look at her. Of course, he wouldn't! She acted like some needy slut even knowing that he had a girlfriend. He was just being polite at how awkward things were getting, having enough heart to extricate himself without hurting her feelings. This...this was a rejection.

What else did she expect?

She had used all the luck she had in her lifetime to have a friend who was more than what she and her kind was. A man who walked in social circles, and respected--even loved. And there she was asking to eat the hand that fed her.

The water in the shower covered her sigh as she picked herself up and gathered the clothing on the floor. She turned to the bathroom to take his pants and stopped dead in her tracks seeing a part of his back, water cascading down from his brown hair to his toned back, his defined behind and his strong right leg.

"Oh crap..." Lila whispered as she tore her eyes away from the image of the right side of his body bare to her. She quickly grabbed his pants and rushed to the top floor where the laundry room was, but it was too late. The image of him showering burned itself in her mind. Sure it was a quarter of him naked, but seeing that, and with her having an active imagination, it was easy to imagine how his whole backside looked like, and she had a fairly reasonable guess how his front looked. Not that she had ever seen a real schlong, so there was no image of that.

She growled shoving the clothes into the drier, turning on the machine and slumping right in front of it. What was wrong with her? She went from panicked to melancholy to giddy lustful in a span of a few seconds! Not to mention she was giddy happy not ten minutes ago.

Well, it was not her fault that he left the bathroom door open!

In front of her, the machine whirred and tumbled. Clothes a jumbled mess inside. Like how she felt. And...frogger! Did she just shove everything inside just like that without...she groaned. All she could do was hope that all the clothes were fine and without damage.

The constant whirring and rhythmic bumps of the drier did help her clear her mind a little. Arthur was her friend and she was his. Nothing more. Any interest he showed in her, he showed because of the things she liked. And it opened him up to a world previously closed to him. She was his gateway and she was the one leading him through all of it. She benefited by him lending her a little confidence in who she was and he benefited by making him more whole as a person.

That was the foundations friendship was built upon. One needing the other. And they were missing one very important element if there was anything more to happen: a mutual attraction. As it was, it was a one-way street. And there was an even bigger wall: Arthur had a girlfriend, who he probably was living together with. And they had so many things that Lila could not compete with. For one, they had known each other for a very long time. It hasn't even been a month since Lila knew Arthur and she truly knew very little about him. And then, there was all those times and memories they spent together. The things they shared that really mattered to them both. Hobbies and pastimes that Lila would probably blanch at. And there were so many other things that she probably didn't know about.

And men that asked women to live with them only meant one thing: they loved each other. They would share their lives with each other.

Lila knew all these and yet she felt her chest being forced down by an invisible force. And realization dawned on her. She was going to be alone forever if she acted this way. She had a lot of perfectly good and sweet friends who she could get with. But no. She was picky. She wanted the most handsome, successful, smart, sweet, fun, nice guy in the room. She wanted perfection when she couldn't even give perfection herself. In fact, beside him, she was a mess. Truly, she had no right to even think about a relationship with him. What she had to do was look into her own circles.

There was Derek. Single. Nice. Smart. Most importantly her friend....

Only, she couldn't picture herself with him.

Lila clicked her tongue. "Come on, don't be picky," she growled at herself. At the same time, the drier powered down and she took out the clothes. Dry. No damage. Good.

Squaring her shoulders, she went down and thought about Derek. Forced herself to think about Derek. But as soon as she opened the door to her room, all thoughts of Derek vanished, replaced by the after-image of a very naked man in the shower as she saw him with a towel wrapped around his torso. She felt herself blush as blood rushed to her head, her ears. She tried to move but she was rooted on the spot just in front of the door that closed behind her. Frantically, she tried to drown out the image with other things...like Chloe! But the damage was done and all she could do was stare at his chest.

His. Bare. Chest.

She tore hey eyes away and focused on a poster on her wall. Her hand thrust out holding his pants and shirt. She didn't dare say a word not trusting herself to say anything for the moment.
 
Last edited:
If he had time to think, he would be calling a ride home. If he had enough breath in his mind he would let common sense seep in and take over.

“Has it stopped raining?”

Arthur slid his jeans slowly up his legs, careful to keep his towel hung around his waist in the action.

His words were careful, with enough breadth to them to ensure they were selected properly. “I ask, because, now that I am safe from catching a cold and my clothes are all dry, I don’t want to go rushing back out there in it again.”

Jeans properly in place, he pulled the towel away from his hips. While he had a pretty good start on drying his hair already, he draped the towel over his head and started rubbing the wetness away. His torso remained bare, his chest in particular.

“You’ve got some cool stuff here, and I do have some questions on the Final Fantasy characters we’re going to look like.

His torso remained bare, because he didn’t miss the reaction she had to it. How could he. How could anyone. Now just the way her eyes locked onto him; the rush of color through her cheeks, from head to toe even. If he was able to think about things, he may wonder when the last time Denise looked at him like that. If he had time to think, he may wander if Denise ever looked at him like that. If anyone looked at him like that, even. You don’t think about things in times like that, because the feeling that comes with it is intoxicating. It’s intoxicating, that feeling you get when someone is so impacted by you that they lose command of their reactions. No, he wasn’t reaming bare to tease her - he liked the way she looked at him like this. He liked the way Lila looked at him.

“Unless you have other plans,” he said hanging the towel on a rack. Moving towards the door, his shirt still in his hand, he said “We could call in for pizza or takeout.”

There comes a line in the sand when you act on instinct, following what you want to do rather than what you think you should do. If he had time to think, Arthur would stop all this, go back to the apartment, to Denise, and let his world continue spinning on. Instead, he reached that line, and he crossed it.

“We could make a night of it. You and me.”
 
Has it stopped raining? I ask, because, now that I am safe from catching a cold and my clothes are all dry, I don’t want to go rushing back out there in it again.

Lila's mind raced. Was he asking a question? Yes, he was asking a question. What should she answer? Should she answer? Of course she should! What did he ask again? Oh! The rain. Right. Rain...

"U-um...it's roaring outside," she said, eyes still fixated on her posters. "S-so I guess it's still raining." She stole a quick glance at him and...crap... jeans and shirtless was not less sexy than just a towel wrapped around him. She felt her lips go dry and she licked them trying to tear her eyes away again, but found that she couldn't.

Also she felt her face heat up a few more degrees.

Arthur moved closer to her saying something...Final Fantasy? Yeah, she heard that but what was he saying? Oh...right costumes. Their costumes. He would be shirtless in his. Like this. His well-toned torso bare for all to see. Gorgeous. Pizza? What? What did pizza have to do with being shirtless--er...Final Fantasy? No. No, he was asking if she would like to have something to eat.

Something to eat...

Her eyes wandered from the waistband of his pants, up his abs, his chest, his neck and then his lips...lingering there until she looked up at his eyes. She took an involuntary breath as his eyes held hers. Piercing. As if wanting something.

“We could make a night of it. You and me.”

Lila blinked once, twice. Trying to process what was going on, until she realized that her mouth was partially open and she was breathing through her mouth. She snapped it shut and swallowed trying to think straight.

No, he wasn't hitting on her. He was staying because it was still torrential outside. Because going out would be stupid after he just dried himself. And he was suggesting that they talk about the cosplay because it was his first time. Of course, he would have questions.

And besides, he had a girlfriend and she had...Derek...

Her heart sank, but she kept herself from reacting any more stupid than she already was. She mentally shook herself and cleared her throat. "Y-yeah. Let's talk about the game. I mean, the costumes. Well, not much to talk about, but um...we could play the game a bit. It will take a lot of hours, but the few opening scenes and the few game sequences will introduce Snow to you. So, yeah, we could play. I mean, you could play it. I've already finished it, so you can try it if you want." She knew she should stop talking, but she couldn't she was too nervous. Too addled. And it was the only thing she could do to stop staring at him. "And um, yeah, takeout would be good. Or pizza. Oh! I know this awesome Filipino restaurant that has amazing food. Barely anyone talks about Filipino food, but I like it better than Chinese."

She should move. Walk away from him and get to her phone and start calling, but she remained rooted in front of him. Feeling his presence envelop her like a comforting blanket, while at the same time, making her all different kinds of nervous and jittery.

She should look away, but instead, she held his gaze. Let him root her with his eyes. His beautiful eyes...
 
The apartment, as small as it was, seemed spacious the moment he began moving across the floor to here. The space between them, miles. Each step he took forward, that space grew shorter, the room smaller.

“Video games, now we are talking a fun night.” His words, as much levity that they intended to be came out quiet and controlled. “I can see how he moves, maybe figure out how to move like him. How they move together. Really make the cosplay complete.”

It is easy to blame it on instinct. Easy to let go of everything that makes clear common sense for the moment, the situation. Yet, instinct relies on triggers, things that capture the senses and drawas the reactions out of you. The tension of the room, that was so shortly removed from confessions before his shower; or the spirit and energy of the rain; those are things to trigger his actions. Or it was just the way that everytime she did something that was attractive, she shied away from it as if she didn’t want it to be seen.

“Pizza would be great. What’s your favorite kind of pizza?” He asked the question like someone trying to learn that next great truth about someone. “What’s your stance on pineapple on a pizza? Pro? …. Con?”

In truth, it was the way she stared into his eyes. Those beautiful pools of warmth locked onto his. There was no subtly to it. No desire to look away, no ability to hide her eyes from his. That direct contact, unrelenting. Like a rabbit caught it stare of a wolf, unable to run as it moved in for the kill.

“I’m fine with anything.” He breathed. “Games … Pizza. I’m okay with it. Any of it.”

The space that seemed so vast before was now gone. He had closed that distance, he had stepped until he stood before her. His eyes never left hers. His gaze matching hers.

His hands were on her sides. The warmth of her skin through her shirt into his hands. She was close enough he could smell her, could feel her breath on his shirtless chest. He stood before her ready to take the next step that instinct would take him.

Knock. Knock.

Door knob rattle.

“Chloe’s Home!!” called a voice.

In bounded a dog a little too happy to intrude.

Instinct … and his shirt was hurriedly going over his head.
 
“Video games, now we are talking a fun night. I can see how he moves, maybe figure out how to move like him. How they move together. Really make the cosplay complete.”

Movement? Oh, Lila was staring at his movements alright. The way his muscles moved bared to him. The way the corners of his mouth quirked in a half-grin, half-smirk. Not exactly predatory, but not friendly either. Sensual. Proud. In full command. Every movement deliberate as he got closer and closer until her eyes locked to his could barely see him from the chest down as he occupied her vision.

He said something and she had to reply. Only her mind was drawing blanks. Reply...to what? To games. Yes, games. Cosplay? Which? Pick one you Vulcan failure!

"A-Ashe and Snow aren't together!" She blurted out. "N-not in the same release, anyway. Not the same world. But I can text Allie if I could go as Sarah. You know, so we could really go together?" What the heck was she saying? Go together? She just told him she wanted to pair up with him. No! That was embarrassing. No. Wait, maybe it was better. Showed less skin. Yeah. Sarah showed less skin. Good excuse. She opened her mouth to say it, but remembered that she had a more revealing attire in the FFXVIII spinoff. Okay, so maybe she could babysit Allie and bargain with her about keeping the original Serah's clothes...

Okay, she had been quiet for too long. "But yes! Yes! We should totally play!"

Pizza? Oh, pizza was good too. But not as good as Arthur...Stop it!

"I actually like pineapples on pizza." She tried to focus on pizza, but his eyes just drew her in. Just held her there. Mesmerized. Until she couldn't even see his torso anymore. Just his face. His eyes as she looked up at him. Her mouth dried unable to come up with anything to say. She felt his hands on her hips and his warmth shot a current throughout her body down to the tips of her toes and fingers. Her heart beat wildly smelling him this aware of him for the first time. None of the romance novels she read did justice to how an actual man smelled like. It was...distinctly him. There was no other way to describe it.

Her breaths became shallower and quicker as he came closer...and closer...

The knock behind her made her jump and then the bark. She blinked and all of the sudden, Arthur's touch was gone. The doorknob opened and in came Chloe, Mrs. Meredith behind her. The dog pounced at her and, as the weight difference went, Lila fell as Chloe licked her face happy and excited to be back home.

Lila laughed trying to get Chloe off her and then the dog stopped, looked at Arthur, barked and bound up to him wagging his tail trying to pounce him as well.

With her dog's attention diverted, Lila picked herself up and came face to face with Mrs. Meredith's flat stare that suddenly disappeared and turned into a smile. She stepped in and closed the door behind her.

"Oh dear, oh my. That weather is terrible! I needed to come over to get Cheloe some treats, but that rain! I hope you don't mind an old lady staying here for a bit? Going out in that weather..." She shook her head. "I do hope I'm not interrupting anything with your...friend here?"

The insinuations were thick in every word Mrs. Meredith said, but all of that slid innocently past Lila as Chloe got back to her and distracted her by nudging her for a scratch. "Oh, we were just going to play Final Fantasy. To get him to know the--oh! I'm sorry, where are my manners! Mrs. Meredith, this is my friend, Arthur. Arthur, this Mrs. Meredith. She lives in the apartment in the building to the left. I sometimes leave Chloe with her since they love each other's company."

"So, I'm not interrupting anything at all then," Mrs. Meredith smiled at Arthur's direction but her eyes nailed him accusingly.

"Well, I have to start the game," she said picking up her phone and dragging it to the console area. "And get pizza. Vegetarian, if you're staying with us, Mrs. Meredith?"

"Oh yes, dear." Mrs. Meredith said, eyes never leaving Arthur. "I am definitely staying. Who knows what might happen. Accidents are not very pleasant."

"Of course not! We wouldn't want you to slip out in the rain--oh! yes! I'd like to order..."

"Better have good plans, kid," Mrs. Meredith said low enough for only Arthur to hear. "I want her to get married before anything happens. Not after."
 
“Oh,” Arthur responded to Mrs Maeredth, “I wasn’t planning to do anything I shouldn’t.”

“No, you boys never do,” she replied a finger moving up and poking his chest. Even through his shirt, that thing felt like it was dig down to his soul. “You come along with your handsome looks and no good intentions and you give a wink and a smile and you think girls will do whatever you want. She’s a smart girl, she doesn’t need to be in trouble.”

“I’m not very good at winking.”

“I don’t know what you told her to get her to bring you up here, but I will have none it hear me? She usually only brings back nice boys. Not, pretty ones. The boys she knows, the odd ones, they at least won’t break her heart like your type would.”

Arthur wasn’t sure if he was supposed to be offended, impressed by the old woman’s commitment to Lila, or concerned for the obviously plural use of the word ‘boys’. “How many boys?”

“That is none of your business boy, you don’t ask a good girl those kind of questions.”

Arthur was acutely aware that he could just make one statement and this abuse would end. Yet tonight, of all nights, that statement was the last one he wanted to make. Right now, he’d take this grandmotherly beating, as long as the conversation never includes the name Denise. “All I intended was to play some video games to prepare for the convention we are attending. But your message is clear … and a wee bit scary if I am being honest. Lila is lucky to have you concerned for her well being, Mrs. Meredith.”

Her eyebrows knitted, her finger prepared itself to poke him hard in the chest again. Just before she did, they both her Lila end her phone call. In an instant the old woman’s mood change. She spun and stated, “Oh deary, I could use a bit of a warm up. You wouldn’t have a bit of tea would you? Or a bit of whisky?”
 
Lila was oblivious to the exchange as she hooked up her console while ordering pizza on the phone. As soon as she was done she faced both of them, her brows wrinkling as Mrs. Meredith seemed to have paused with what she was saying, before turning toward her with that kindly smile on her face.

"Tea, Mrs. Meredith," Lila smiled at the old lady. "You know I only have beer."

Mrs. Meredith rolled her eyes and sat on Llila's computer chair. "You need to upgrade your alcoholic selection. Beer is so...crass."

Lila smiled at her as she gave the old woman her tea, turning to Arthur. "You? Soda? Tea? Beer?" She turned back to the fridge and took out the drinks, setting them down on the floor in front of the television. She tapped on the floor below her beckoning him to sit beside her and tossed him the controller.

"It's simple," Lila said, leaning toward him. "It's going to teach you everything step-by-step, but focus on the characters. Focus on...see that blonde guy? That's him."

She took a swig of the Mountain Dew and involuntarily leaned closer to him as he played the game. Chloe, jealous of the attention whined and laid herself on Lila's and Arthur's lap, nuzzling Lila's arm to vie for her attention.

All the while, behind them, Mrs. Meredith looked on, part of her feeling like she should let them be, while the other still thought of him as a danger to the naive geek. She drank her tea keeping a close eye on them wishing that Lila had fallen in love with one of her nice geek friends. The girl might not recognize it, but she was in deep with the guy. She only hoped that she was wrong about the guy, because the girl would be in for a heartbreak if she was right.
 
“Boy, I say ‘is that all you got’ alot.”

Arthur kept punching at buttons, only half the time resulting in massive explosions of sound, light, and music. Other half of the time resulting in his avatar swinging through the air.

“I can just walk around the convention saying that to everything someone says. ‘That’s for the selfie, is that all you got?’ ‘Here’s your hot dog, is that all you got?’”

They had been playing for some time, long enough that he should have been getting a better hang of the game than he has been. This was one of those games that it seemed that every new level required another button he had to learn, and that wasn’t going well. They had been playing long enough that the occasional bumping into each other, or leaning into each other, or just casual contact … none of that was awkward anymore; and growing more in frequency.

“I’m running out of toilet paper, show me what you got.”

They were sitting next to each other under the watchful eye of their self-appointed chaperone, but it took only a title screen for him tor Arthur to not worry about the supervision. There was nothing off about sitting in front of a TV mashing buttons. Nor were they crossing some line by sitting next to each other. Chloe, being the weight across them both, would have stopped any shenanigans as well - but once place started that wasn’t the issue.

They hit an end scene, something where Snow is interacting with Noel and Sereh. They had already established that Sereh wasn’t the character Lila was going as - yet now as the characters talked about Snow’s engagement to Sereh, there seemed like an unanswered question growing. Arthur started to wonder why Lila didn’t suggest the two going together as the couple from the game. The missing Sereh would be noticible at the conference. That made Arthur think of Denise. Not as Sereh, but … like Sereh. It was slight, but there was an awkwardness returning to the room.

“The guy sure does touch his hair alot,” he joked.

Chloe stretched her paws, and did a very very ...VERY cute yawn. He checked his watch.

“Wow, I should get going home.”
 
Pizza and soda was a great combination for gaming and it still proved true as Arthur played the game with a bit of direction from her. It was fun seeing him actually try to master the controls, but the speed could be a bit overwhelming at times and it showed when Arthur was at low health.

Lila laughed at his antics. "Oh yeah, that could work. People would really get it, if they don't get it from your look yet." She grinned at him petting Chloe. This was the reason she couldn't help but fall for him. He was genuinely interested in the things she wanted to do. Sure, her geek friends were the same, but, they weren't exactly gentlemen looking out for her and she just wasn't attracted to them for some reason.

Well, admittedly, Arthur was the most handsome guy she had ever befriended so that was a reason.

Further in the game, Lila felt that Arthur was acting strange. Of course, that could just be her reflecting her awkwardness to another person.

“The guy sure does touch his hair alot."

Lila shrugged. "Maybe it feels nice. Maybe she likes it. Maybe you should try it once. Find out if you like that too."

Chloe yawned and looked up at her then the bed telling her it was time to go to sleep. Lila was prepared to ignore it, but Arthur spoke about going home himself. Lila berated herself for wanting him to stay. Of course, he had Denise to go back to. Like Snow had Serah to keep on coming back to. Instead of frustration, she showed him a big smile and gently pushed Chloe off them.

"You're right. Rain stopped anyway." She stood and took the empty cans and Mrs. Meredith's tea away. "Thanks for stopping by. Would've been a lonely rainy night without the both of you." Chloe barked offended she was excluded. "Yes, yes. You too." She rubbed the dog's head and opened the door for them.

"I'll walk you home, Mrs. Meredith?" Lila offered.

"No, no. It's just on the other door. Don't fret dear. Stay there."

If Lila was looking well enough, she might have noticed the meaningful look that she gave Arthur, but Lila wasn't exactly observant on social cues, so she completely missed it as she waved and closed the door behind them.

As they reached the street Mrs. Meredith turned to Arthur. "Are you truly just friends with Lila?"
 
Back
Top