"It would be my pleasure." (closed)

CarlyConners

Really Experienced
Joined
Jun 13, 2017
Posts
206
"It Would Be My Pleasure"

Kimberly Davis turned at the sound of her name to find the Personnel Manager heading her way with a determined pace. She spun and practically popped to attention, responding with a expectant tone, "Yes, Miss Barrows?"

"You've been reassigned," the ready-for-retirement woman said, thrusting out a folded sheet of paper as she continued, "Suite C, 35th floor. They're expecting you."

"When?" Kim asked.

The manager stressed, "Now!"

"But ... I don't understand," Kim said, unfolding the paper to find it her transfer order. It was hand written, which meant it had been done hastily rather than planned out over days and weeks and printed out for a multitude of affected departments as most of the corporation's actions were. "I'm just a pool secretary."

"We haven't used the work secretary here since before you were born," the manager chastised. "You're now the Personal Assistant to the corporation's CFO."

"CFO...?" Kim asked, unfamiliar with the acronym.

"Chief Financial Officer," the manager explained, turning to head away, feeling her work here was done. "The 35th floor ... go! And Kim...?"

"Yes...?" the much younger of the two asked, her confusion obvious."

The manager finished with, "Don't fuck it up. There is no place in the company for someone who fails upstairs."

Kim stared at the sheet for a long moment, confused. She'd been with the corporation for almost two years and was near the top of the promotion list for non-salaried office personnel. But the CFO...? That didn't make any sense at all! The CFO was, what, the #2 or #3 person in the whole corporation!

What Kim didn't know was that the person to whom she'd been assigned was a bitch for which to work, and no one lasted very long. Oh, it wasn't because she was an actual bitch. When the world wasn't crashing around her -- which was about 5 days a year, and not always 5 days in a row! -- The CFO was actually a pretty okay person. But the position had been very stressful and demanding of late, within the corporation on the verge of bankruptcy off and on for the past decade. The Executive had burned through Personal Assistants like candles at the alter of a Catholic Church during sinning season.

Kim packed an empty copier paper box with her desk items, stuffed her personal things into her oversized purse, and took the elevator up 30 floors from her former place of work. Stepping out onto the floor upon which there were 6 Executive offices, she hesitated when she realized that her heart was pounding behind her boosted Double D's.

"Can I help you?"

She flinched at the voice, looking to find a woman heading out from behind a row of potted bamboo trees she'd been watering from a pitcher she still clutched toward a large desk at the far wall behind which was a table filled with dozens of potted plants of all species. Kim crossed the floor, the sound of her heels so much more obvious here where there weren't three dozen office workers tapping away at keyboards and a dozen copiers and printers pounding away in every direction. She handed the woman the sheet of paper she had been handed a few minutes earlier and waited, noting the scrutinizing look the female was giving to her very short skirt.

"You will call me Miss Warren," the twice her age woman said, dropping the sheet into a top desk drawer. "I am the Floor Supervisor, which means that while on paper you work for the Chief Financial Officer, you do what I say when and how I say to do it, understand?"

"Yes," Kim said. When the woman gave her a sharp glance, Kim quickly corrected, "Yes, Miss Warren."

Miss Warren turned and headed toward an open door, curling a finger as an invitation -- or order -- to follow. They entered a tiny office, which the Supervisor told Kim would be hers. Kim smiled: she'd never had her own work space before, not at college or at any of her part time jobs or -- obviously -- downstairs in the Pool. The fact that the office was little bigger than a custodian's mop closet didn't bother her at all.

Miss Warren showed Kim where the important items were, showed her the basics of operating the small espresso machine, and gave her a password for getting into the computer. There was a quick explanation of her duties concerning the CFO, then out the door Miss Warren went. Kim just stood there next to her desk for the longest time, still in a bit of shock; then she sat behind her desk and opened some files to get familiar with her new boss's upcoming meetings, events, and such.

She was totally involved and lost in the what was on the monitor before her when suddenly someone rushed by her into the office. She leaped up, paused to contemplate her next actions, then headed through the still open door that connected her to the most magnificent office she'd ever seen. It was lavishly appointed and had massive windows that looked out upon the Manhattan skyline.

The person who'd passed by was, of course, her new boss, but as she was already on a cell phone talking to someone, Kim just stood there until the call ended and it seemed a good time to introduce herself.

"I'm Kimberly Davis, your new secre-- your new Personal Assistant," Kim said. The woman looked horribly stressed and a bit lost, as if lost in a dozen different things that needed to be done right now. Kim took a step closer, telling her new boss, "I could get you a cup of coffee ... tea ... water maybe? It would be my pleasure."
 
Back
Top